• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2014)

fakefaker

The new Murakami is out in Germany and, man, it's good stuff. I never really warmed up to his 1Q84 saga and already thought that I'll might not read another Murakami book that truly captures me -- but I was wrong. It's a really nice book. Hopefully the English translation won't take too long anymore, either.

The cover of the book is pretty neat, btw. Fits the whole "colorless" scheme pretty well.

(Those aren't my pictures.)

That is one nice looking book! The audio version isn't coming out to amazon Canada til aug 2014, but maybe the book will release earlier. Hopefully our version is as nice!

Drake

I've started reading David Dalglish's Paladin series. He compares himself to RA Salvatore, but he is a better writer then Salvatore. I really enjoyed the 1st 2 books in that series and I'm going to read everything else he has written.

Started The Winter King by Cornwell.
68520.jpg

It's a bit slow getting started, but the idea of a re-imagined King Arthur sounds appealing enough.

Shengar

Do you like things that are awesome? Then you're in for a treat.

Seriously, it's like a more adult version of Coraline. If you liked that, you will probably love this. If you like Gaiman, you will love this. If you like books that look at childhood from an adult perspective with a little magic and that get deeply personal, you will love this.

With all of that, I wouldn't called it just a little honestly.
For me the entire premise is magic.

Drake

68520.jpg

It's a bit slow getting started, but the idea of a re-imagined King Arthur sounds appealing enough.

I've been wanting to read this series for a while. I love the Arthurian legend. I will definitely read this series within the next year.

Shengar

Haha, good point.

"How old are you, really?" I asked.
"Eleven."
I thought for a bit. Then I asked, "How long have you been eleven for?"
She smiled at me.

At that part, the book enchanted me and read it for all daylong.

Jag

I've been wanting to read this series for a while. I love the Arthurian legend. I will definitely read this series within the next year.

It's a pretty good series. Little bit of a different take on the story. But very Cornwell if you've read his other stuff. My personal favorite series by Cornwell is the Grail Quest series (and I've read the 20+ Sharpe books!). Must be because I dig archers.

obin_gam

Just finished Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch (on audiobook).
61wdDOMCE6L._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

It started interestingly enough, but as soon as they got to the seas I completely zoned out. I can only remember fragments of the story because it was so utterly not-interesting at all!
Something about starting a war or something I think. Ugh. Don't care.

Only good thing about it was that now when it's over, I can finally start with The Republic of Thieves :D

Michael Page though, who also read Lies..., and will read Republic does a fantastic job with the emotions and voices and narration. I hope he continues with all the seven books as I cant imagine this universe without his voice!
Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4qS99el4qY

Mumei

Seriously, it's like a more adult version of Coraline. If you liked that, you will probably love this. If you like Gaiman, you will love this. If you like books that look at childhood from an adult perspective with a little magic and that get deeply personal, you will love this.

Oh? This basically sold me on the book.

Now when are you going to read Sandman?

ShaneB

Yeah, this sold me on the book as well. Guess it'll be the first Gaiman book I read.

Woorloog

Banned
Based on your taste in prose, I'm not sure how you'll take to him, honestly.

Well, i can always try, no?
If the aspects i like are good enough, i can ignore prose probably. It is not like stuff he writes is bad like the non-Herbert-Dune sequels are?

ShaneB

Haha. I thought it might have been an autocorrect error!

That's quite possible too, did post from my phone and just spit out the reply rather fast without checking. Ah well!

Either case, I'll put that Gaiman book on the shortlist to read after something lengthy.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Where should i start with Hemingway? I was thinking of reading "For whom the Bell Tolls" first. Is that a good starting point?

It's a pretty good series. Little bit of a different take on the story. But very Cornwell if you've read his other stuff. My personal favorite series by Cornwell is the Grail Quest series (and I've read the 20+ Sharpe books!). Must be because I dig archers.

I have the Grail stuff marked as "to read" as well. Very interested in them, perhaps even more so than the Arthur stuff. I'm enjoying The Winter King so far, minus the complete lack of chapters. That's...odd.

Well, i can always try, no?
If the aspects i like are good enough, i can ignore prose probably. It is not like stuff he writes is bad like the non-Herbert-Dune sequels are?

The writing is superb. Absolutely stunning. The issues are two-fold:
1) His writing is incredibly dense, for lack of a better word. I find myself frequently rereading passages to see what all I missed.
2) In the case of the Long Sun, the narrator is unreliable. He purposefully misrepresents or misremembers certain events to better fit his perspective, which can be downright challenging. Once again, revisiting and rereading parts of the book after you've progressed further along can clarify this.

Wait, the guy who did Sandman writes regular novels? That's awesome. Which one would be the best start?

He's written tons of stuff. I've only read American Gods and The Ocean at the End of the Lane, and highly suggest you start with the latter. It's incredibly accessible and is a fairly straight-forward book.

I haven't read the book, but the Stardust movie is fantastic and my wife says the story is even better. That might be a good starting point, too. Call me blasphemous, but it's like a modern/better The Princess Bride story in terms of introducing folks to the world of fantasy.

----

Question for Hugh Howey fans: Has anyone read Sand?
20468582.jpg

I loved the Silo saga and think I might give this omnibus a shot when I finish the two books I'm currently reading.

Quake1028

I've started reading David Dalglish's Paladin series. He compares himself to RA Salvatore, but he is a better writer then Salvatore. I really enjoyed the 1st 2 books in that series and I'm going to read everything else he has written.

My man! My favorite author.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Question for Hugh Howey fans: Has anyone read Sand?
20468582.jpg

I loved the Silo saga and think I might give this omnibus a shot when I finish the two books I'm currently reading.
I read it over the weekend and thought it was good. The setting was great although not as well fleshed out as Wool - I am also a bit iffy about the technology but that might be just me nitpicking :)

As a disclaimer though, I liked Shift a lot and that one doesn't seem to get much love in average!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think people went into Shift expecting more Wool and instead they got Foundation.

Krowley

This sounds interesting. I've been in the mood for some fantasy with more of a focus on action, and was thinking about trying to get into Salvatore's Drizzt books (I read the Icewind Dale books about a million years ago and thought they were pretty fun).

I might try one of these books instead.

Where should i start with Hemingway? I was thinking of reading "For whom the Bell Tolls" first. Is that a good starting point?

My favorite by him is:

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

It's wonderful and snarky and really brings you into the ex-pat life in Europe after WWI. And even though he seems like a jerk, that book made me sympathize with him a little. I think because I had to read For Whom & Old Man in the Sea for highschool, it soured me on those books. I'd go with this one or The Sun Also Rises.

TTG

I enjoyed The Sun Also Rises a lot more than For Whom The Bell Tolls. It starts off slow, but once the setting moves to Spain, it's beautiful. The prose is fantastic, the social dynamics as their clique begins to unravel is heartfelt. I thought I wasn't going to respond to the corrida, it's been romanticized plenty, but then Hemingway hits a home run and all my jaded skepticism is swept away and it makes such an impression. For Whom The Bell Tolls seemed too long to me, I also never bought into the idealism of the main character and that's really a crucial point because he is an American mercenary fighting in a civil war. I liked The Old Man and the Sea, but those are old high school impressions, so more than questionable.

jimbosimbo43

Neo Member
Just finishing up SteelHeart by Brandon Sanderson .... doesn't quite live up to Way of kings of the mistborn series, but amazing non the less!!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy... Maybe I would be touched more by it if I were a father, but I dunno.

Never read The Road (blowhard guy I knew in college was always going on about Cormac McCarthy and put me off of him), but reading The Shining when you are the father of a kid about Danny's age is a whole different experience from reading it when you're 18 as I originally did.

I finished Any Human Heart by William Boyd and I recommend it without reservation. If I tried to describe it you'd think I was crazy to recommend it (English guy writes a journal about his life, which spans the 20th century and intersects with famous people and historical events), but it just works.

I read it over the weekend and thought it was good. The setting was great although not as well fleshed out as Wool - I am also a bit iffy about the technology but that might be just me nitpicking :)

As a disclaimer though, I liked Shift a lot and that one doesn't seem to get much love in average!

Shift was my least favorite of the Silo books, but still quite enjoyable. When I finished it, I fully understood why it was critical to the story Howey was telling, even if the first half let me down.

I'll give Sand a shot.

68520.jpg

This is one of the best, if not the best, Arthurian series of all time.

It is spooky how much you and I share common interests in books. Not bad for a Chiefs fan!

ShaneB

This is one of the best, if not the best, Arthurian series of all time.

It is spooky how much you and I share common interests in books. Not bad for a Chiefs fan!

I guess that really means me, since I was the one who pointed out that series to him! :p But yeah, I saw it get pretty high recommendations here.

Ratrat

Just finished Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch (on audiobook).
61wdDOMCE6L._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

It started interestingly enough, but as soon as they got to the seas I completely zoned out. I can only remember fragments of the story because it was so utterly not-interesting at all!
Something about starting a war or something I think. Ugh. Don't care.

Only good thing about it was that now when it's over, I can finally start with The Republic of Thieves :D

Michael Page though, who also read Lies..., and will read Republic does a fantastic job with the emotions and voices and narration. I hope he continues with all the seven books as I cant imagine this universe without his voice!
Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4qS99el4qY

High Five!

Did this for both Red Seas and Republic of Thieves.

Oh, Id keep my expectations in check though.

Nymerio

I'm reading the third book of the Wheel of Time series. I am really enjoying the series so far, but I can't help but think a lot of the problems could be avoided if people just talked to each other instead of everyone holding stuff back. I mean, you've known these people since you where kids but you can't tell them shit?

I'm reading the third book of the Wheel of Time series. I am really enjoying the series so far, but I can't help but think a lot of the problems could be avoided if people just talked to each other instead of everyone holding stuff back. I mean, you've known these people since you where kids but you can't tell them shit?

Cell phones would solve 90% of fantasy problems. Open communication would solve the other 10%.

Phyranion

9780439680042_p0_v3_s260x420.JPG

Started reading these books years ago, and thought it was time to finish them. They're better than expected, to be honest.

This will only get worse as the series progress. But stay strong, it'll be worth it!

Nymerio

This will only get worse as the series progress. But stay strong, it'll be worth it!

I don't even mind it that much but sometimes it's really strange for people not to talk to each other. Like with Perrin:
You have all these people around you who have strange powers, even the dragon reborn and they already told him that it's some ancient thing probably not even related to the dark one and you still can't even talk about it with your best friend? Or his dream of Egwene, why not mention it to the Aes Sedai who's been with you since the beginning?

ShaneB

What is it with you and Tragicomedy that people can't tell you apart? Tststs....

Haha, well we do have similar tastes in books too, but I pointed that series out to him while chatting on Steam :)

Last night I finished The Art of Racing in the Rain. What a wonderful book as well, and gave it 5/5. Quick read as it was hard to put down at times. Very uplifting and emotional.

Deciding on what is next.

Somax

Since my friends were pestering me for months about this series, I have chosen to start the 2014 pausing the reading of the 10 book cycle of the inquisitor Nicholas Eymerich (a mix of sci-fi and historical fiction written by Valerio Evangelisti, an Italian writer) after the 4th book and picking up Hyperion.

I'm almost at 1/4 of the first book and it's quickly becoming very interesting.
Let's see if all the hype was deserved. :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Pronto - Elmore Leonard
Y8Ax59y.jpg

Pretty good, thought the ending was done much better in the first episode of Justified.

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson (Audiobook)
1WHAzDc.jpg

First Audiobook I've ever listened to and I'm not sure if that shaped my opinion on it. I did enjoy the book but it kind of felt like a lot of it didn't really matter, and an entire chapter about a toilet paper memo was pretty bad.

Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson
QpUcBfO.jpg

Just started this the other day (almost finished part 1), pretty enjoyable so far and seems to be developing nicely.

I don't want to admit it. Do I have to?

Well ... you know that show the 4400? I got hooked on it. And then it left on a cliffhanger as the show was cancelled.

... well, they had some books written after it. THAT OK, I'm reading that.

Mumei

I'm almost two-thirds of the way through Chimamanda Adichie's Purple Hibiscus, and it's amazing. I don't relate to the causes, but I find Kambili's simultaneous desire to participate, to be a part of, to smile and inability to make herself speak up when the opportunities arise very relatable. I've had a hard time not crying at work reading this, and I think that would be a case even if I couldn't put myself so easily into some of those situations.

The prose is beautiful - it's spare, and fairly unadorned, but she has this way of capturing the essence of what she's describing in a single phrase. One of my weaknesses as a reader of fiction is that I sometimes have trouble visualizing what I'm reading - I easily get emotionally involved, keep track of characters and plot well enough to understand what is happening and why, notice at least some major themes or whatever - but I often don't have a visual of the setting, of what the characters look like In my head. It's sort of detached in that way. But the descriptions are so rich and evocative that I feel I can see what is being described.

No more, though, as I don't want to spoil anything~

Top Bottom