• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2014)

Ratrat

Republic of Thieves.

Not worth the wait. Evidently Lies was a fluke or Scott Lynch doesnt care about the elements that made the first book enjoyable. Really didnt care for the romance or the schemes. The setup for book 4 is tired and not wanted at all. :(

51ytp7qbd7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Never heard of this before seeing it a few pages back, but its quite good. 200 pages in and its just non-stop action.

I just finished up:

jJj5h6Y.png

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

Oh man, what a great story! The Dark Tower is probably my favorite fictional world and I was so glad to find that King has written a worthy return that can stand alongside the first four books in the series. This and 11/22/63 really feel like classic King (except with good endings!)

Not sure what I'm gonna read next now. Maybe The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, maybe The Road.

ShaneB

Boy's Life feels like a mess and a slog to get through. So much useless nonsense that should be trimmed. I'm at about 65% done and feel like I should just drop it.

Cross-posting from the 50/50 thread. I just finished Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold ★★★ - I was warned this is probably not the best introduction to the Vorkosigan series since it seems only loosely connected. It is set 200 years before the rest of the series and doesn't contain a Vorkosigan protagonist. Still was a very enjoyable read. I'm a big fan of Leo Graf and wish there were more stories following him, but that seems very unlikely. Strong discussion on engineering, welding, and other structural development in zero gravity. Solid science fiction book.

Setre

Finished

NOS4A2_cover.jpg

My favorite of Joe Hill's book, can't wait to see what he does next. I did think it was a bit slow in the beginning though. Hope his next villain is as good a character as Manx was,

Started

Mistborn-cover.jpg

100 or so pages in and I'm enjoying it. Really like how he explains the magic system and how it works. This is my first Brandon Sanderson book too.

pa22word

After this dude was announced to replace Michael Stackpole on the first Wasteland 2 novella I thought I'd give his back catalog a look, and this was the most accessible thing on the Kindle store so eh. It's basically army of darkness with a female protag and replace space travel with time travel. Fun, solid, and campy book. A little over halfway through with it atm and digging it. Could easily see this writer putting out a fun little WL2 story, so worth the 4ish bones I paid for it.

Loved Gaiman's work on the Sandman comics, so I thought I'd give this a quick spin and ended up finishing it in a single sitting lol. Really enjoyed this one despite the pacing moving a little too quickly at times and the story wrapping up much too nicely for my tastes, but in the end it's hard to fault him too much there as I have the feeling that was exactly what he was going for, but I still think this one would have been better if it were 75-100 pages longer. Watched the movie afterwords and kind of hated it. A shame because even though it's a pretty shit adaption it's not really that bad of a movie. Robert De Niro in drag is worth a watch for it alone though, ha.

About a quarter of the way through this one, and man, this is one of those books I'm skeptical of how authentic it is but at the same time too terrified to research it in case I find out it's all true =\ A gripping read for sure, but extremely depressing and really bleak right now. Not saying that's a bad thing or anything, but I'm glad I'm rotating in so many lighthearted fantasy novels to lighten the mood a bit otherwise I'd be depressed as all fuck everytime I put this fucker down v_v

When I head Harvey Smith, the director of Dishonored and the lead designer of Dues Ex, was writing a novel I knew I had to pick it up and read it...eventually ;p About halfway through at this point, and while occasionally the dialog feels a bit stiff and unnatural at times, I can't help but be overwhelmed by massive rushes of nostalgia reading it considering the setting is an incredibly well crafted recreation of the southwest during the late quarter of the 20th century. Everything feels painstakingly, yet lovingly created in such great detail I can't even imagine how much research went into writing this. The plot thus far is kinda interesting, featuring a man who's father died via suicide, and him coming back home after an extended stay away in order to wrap things up.

Whew, that was a big update! Here's my on deck stuff:

Also I've been thinking about picking up the wheel of time novels but have been a frightened lol. With the new possible obsidian project possibly ending up as this taking this IP I thought I'd get familiar with it, but shiiiiiiiiet the damn novel collection is near as long as War and peace o_O

I mean I usually don't mind length, but that's just intimidating and a little frightening to me considering the last fantasy series I got into fell apart at the seams by the end of the 4th book (something something feast something something crows). So yeah....thoughts on WoT and the other books I'm planning on reading it.

moojito

tME01-9780765324221-L.jpg

Bought this today, brand new hardback for £1! I've never read any of the malazan books as the reports of them being a confusing mess at the start are a bit offputting. I hope these stories will give me a glimpse of Erikson's style without going overboard with the crazy.

That's one of the prime reasons I got a Kindle actually, makes massive books like that one easier to read.

Same here. It helps me read a lot of thicker books because now I have no idea how big they are when I start them, which is good since usually books that are too thick make me want to put them off forever.

(re: Insurgent of Divergent series)
I finished it for the sake of completion, but unless you feel that itch or really want to know how it ends (you'll be let down), then I would advise you jump ship. There are too many actual good books out there to waste time on crappy ones.

Good call. I'm abandoning the book and going to wikipedia the rest just to scratch that itch. The writing in the wikipedia entry is probably better than the book.

Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon

People in my office have been reading and loving this and I'm late to the book club, but curious enough to start it. Much more readable than Gravity's Rainbow.

Just started this bad boy and I'm really loving it. Glad its a trilogy since I'll definitely be wanting more from the Commonwealth universe. Fell in love while reading a Kindle sample just like I did with House of Suns.

Am I the only one that reads on my smartphone?

Jimothy

So much sci fi and fantasy in this thread. Every single cover and title is basically interchangeable with the next. It's pretty hilarious.

Just started this one last night and I'm halfway done. Been meaning to read it for years but have only just gotten around to it.

3b29e03ae7a0f4dfacadc110.L.jpg

13641105.jpg

Wrapped this up on Saturday. Really liked it and cannot wait for the next book to release this year. Wound up loving the main character and am interested to see where things go from here.

17349203.jpg

Read through this yesterday and loved it. I've become such a huge fan of Gaiman and am thrilled I still have so much to catch up on.

16248113.jpg

Started this immediately following. About 66 pages in so far and I'm having a hard time reading the author's writing style. The concept seems fun and I hope this doesn't become a chore to get through. I saw the author speak at NYCC this past October and really liked what he had to say.

Osorio

the-pigeon.jpg

Just finished this. Entirely psychotic, existential, and strangely believable. The ending didn't hit me as hard as I thought it would but I would classify it as a sort of thrill ride despite most of the events happening solely in the main character's mind.

coldvein

Banned
elsiags.jpg

Finished this last night, thought it was a pretty great read. Very sad (as expected). My dude was even crazier than I thought. There's a lot of fascinating shit in here, I'd recommend it to every DFW fan as well as anyone who just wants some insight into a wild creative crazy mind.

Then started this:

hope it doesnt suck.
if you've read it and it sucks please dont tell me.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Are you a reviewer? Do you need someone else to read it for you while you catch up on The Way of Kings?

I'M YOUR GUY!

For the record: how many pages is it? There's a lot of conflicting information on that.

Yeah, I'm a reviewer. I write for my own website A Dribble of Ink, and also review for the Science Fiction Book Club.

I have a PDF version of the unformatted manuscript, so there's no way for me to accurately confirm final page count. That said, I'm fairly certain that the novel is 1088 pages, which is the largest page count possible for Tor's printer to publish in one volume.

Mumei

Yeah, I'm a reviewer. I write for my own website A Dribble of Ink, and also review for the Science Fiction Book Club.

I have a PDF version of the unformatted manuscript, so there's no way for me to accurately confirm final page count. That said, I'm fairly certain that the novel is 1088 pages, which is the largest page count possible for Tor's printer to publish in one volume.

Word count is more important, anyway.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I got Inferno by Dan Brown as Christmas gift. I read The Da Vinci Code before and found it entertaining enough, but didn't exactly left me wanting for more. Is Inferno worth reading?

Halfway through this book. Picked this book up because I knew squat about Indian Mythology and I was a bit interested in it. Its a very good, easy to understand book considering that the original story was told orally through the generations and was in the form of verses.

3mgjPax.jpg

DirtRiver

Just started this bad boy and I'm really loving it. Glad its a trilogy since I'll definitely be wanting more from the Commonwealth universe. Fell in love while reading a Kindle sample just like I did with House of Suns.

Am I the only one that reads on my smartphone?

Tried reading that book some years a go and boy does it go on and on, and on, and on, and on, and here, while we're at it, how about you learn about this trees made of crystal because this planet is really really cold.

coldvein

Banned
Tried reading that book some years a go and boy does it go on and on, and on, and on, and on, and here, while we're at it, how about you learn about this trees made of crystal because this planet is really really cold.

haa

yeah, that book was a chore .. unfortunately i'm a one-book-at-a-time completionist. took me way too much time, a little regretful i got sucked into that one..

I had no idea there was a limit there. Looks like we're in for another long haul...can't wait!

Mumei

I've been reading the Penguin Deluxe edition of Proust's collected poems. It's an interesting experience, because the poem has the French original text facing the English translation. I don't remember nearly enough French to have any idea how it flows in the original, but I am sometimes looking at the French when I notice something odd or 'off' about the English. For instance, one poem ends the first four lines:

sorbets
wine
time
hornets

It gets the "or" part, but the lack of a rhyme between the first and fourth lines is sort of ... jarring. But when I look at the French, those same lines end:

melon
d'Espagne
la campagne
frelons

And it's hardly the only example. In fact, in most cases when I felt like what I was reading was awkward or stilted, it looked like the French at least had a more sensible flow when it came to the rhymes, though I can't be sure about the rhythms. Makes me wish I could read the language better - or any language where I'm reading in translation. The problem is particularly bad in poetry, though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Now Reading: The Social Psychology of Social Movements by Hans Toch (incredibly dated since this was released in 1966 but as someone who recently got involved in political activism it's pretty interesting, might look into something more current related to this area afterwards) and My Antonia by Willa Carter (which is absolutely BRILLIANT so far).

Woorloog

Banned
I just finished reading Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds.
xg8VPXg.jpg

I've read the Finnish translation of this.
It was... weird. Yeah, the world too, i meant the translation though.
Feet and miles were translated as "vaaksa" and "peninkulma" respectively. The problem is, "vaaksa" is 150mm (a bit under half a feet), and "peninkulma" is a bit over 10km (over 6 miles), and the measurements were not changed accordingly. The end result was, when i made some conversions in my head, a zeppelin flying some 500km/h, and other weird speeds and distances.

Finishing The Night Circus and nothing can save it at this point. What started as a somewhat interesting premise in an impressive world has become something I assume is very Twighlike. Struggling with it since the halfway point, now in its death rattles. I need to finish it up tomorrow so I can cleanse my palate and start the new year properly.

16248113.jpg

Started this immediately following. About 66 pages in so far and I'm having a hard time reading the author's writing style. The concept seems fun and I hope this doesn't become a chore to get through. I saw the author speak at NYCC this past October and really liked what he had to say.
Couldn't do it. Stopping at 150 pages in. Author writes action scenes like it's out of a movie with no real description or direction. I have to reread passages 3-4 times to even come close to figuring out what actually happened in a scene and most of the time I still only have a vague idea. This is a real bummer.

I just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I loved it. Brilliant book and McCarthy's writing is amazing. Such fantastic prose. I am a little disappointed, though. I actually picked up the book after reading someone else talk about how "Reading The Road has absolutely destroyed me" and other stories about how is can be so soul crushingly depressing at parts. I just never really felt that. I mean, I know what parts are sad and tense and everything, but I never really felt depressed reading it. And thinking back, I've never actually been brought to tears by a book. Is that weird? Books just don't seem to illicit strong emotional reactions in me and I hate that. I feel like I'm missing out on part of the experience of the novel that others get to enjoy. Maybe I would be touched more by it if I were a father, but I dunno.

Anyway, despite that weird thing of mine, I would definitely recommend the book to anyone. Touching. Tense. Grim. At only 122 pages it shouldn't take anyone too long to read and I think it's absolutely worth your time. I can't praise Cormac McCarthy's writing enough. He's brilliant with imagery. I'm probably going to read Blood Meridian soon, since many say that is his best novel, but first I think I want to read some Sherlock Holmes stories.

I read The Road during a terrible bout of food poisoning. Totally gave me weird feverish dreams.

Listen to me, when your dreams are of some world that never was or some world that never will be, and you're happy again, then you'll have given up. Do you understand? And you can't give up, I won't let you

I feel like I'm missing out on part of the experience of the novel that others get to enjoy. Maybe I would be touched more by it if I were a father, but I dunno.

I purchased a used copy from a bookstore because of an inscription. Someone was buying it for his father. The son was also a father himself, and the inscription was very touching. It appears that there certainly is a large emotional connection that isn't felt by readers who are not parents themselves.

Enjoy blood meridian, it'll take your head off.

Pau

I'm reading this as well, and it's also my first Brandon Sanderson book. It's enjoyable so far and definitely a page turner. But I'm pretty disappointed that there's only one female character of note after hearing that Sanderson was alright with gender stuff. Does that get better?

Also, I'm sad now that I got an edition without the lovely Jon Foster cover. :(

Woorloog

Banned
I'm reading this as well, and it's also my first Brandon Sanderson book. It's enjoyable so far and definitely a page turner. But I'm pretty disappointed that there's only one female character of note after hearing that Sanderson was alright with gender stuff. Does that get better?

The first book will introduce an additional female character though she is a side-character, and the sequel will introduce another one. Also a side-character.
And the third book has yet another female side-character.

Other Sanderson's books have more female characters, like Warbreaker where half of the main characters are female and there are more other female characters too.

Piecake

Yea, you'll probably want to read TWOK or Emperor's Soul if you want good female characters

Top Bottom