• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2014)

ready%2Bplayer%2Bone.jpg

There are not words that can properly express just how much I am enjoying this book. :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished up:

41-oATFYEQL.jpg

S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst

This is definitely one of the most unconventional books I've read in a while. For those who don't know, the novel is meant to emulate an old library book written by a mysterious author, and it's filled with marginalia and inserts (postcards, newspaper clippings, etc.) from two characters who are analyzing it. The conversations between the two annotators are by far the most compelling part of the story; they were really interesting and the relationship between them felt natural. The fictional work itself, Ship of Theseus, has some fun ideas and setpieces but I don't think it would quite work on its own without everything else surrounding it. The overarching conspiracy/mystery that ties everything together is the weak point, I think; while it was fun to watch the characters get way into it, I never found it all that exciting myself.

But overall I think it's definitely more than the sum of its parts. I got pretty engrossed in it, and it's absolutely stunning to look at. Even in its slower moments, I was still excited to turn the page so I could see what the next set of handwritten notes or physical insert was going to look like.

Going through it at the moment. Really enjoying it and the production values of the book are fantastic.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Finally finished Republic of Thieves.

I wrote an earlier post regarding my feelings on the book, and now that I'm finished I can say with complete honesty that the book sucked. Such a let down, jesus.
You could easily have cut out 85% of the book and not lost anything vital or interesting. The "heist" sucked, the
flashback sections
were terrible, uninteresting and a chore to read.

Lynch you best pull your socks up for the next one.

Switch Back 9

It's a fun book that gets a lot of hate for whatever reason. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Me too man. I was blown away by the GAF response to it when it came out.
It's not going to be discussed in Harvard lectures obviously, but I had a lot of fun reading it.

edit: Ah shoot, meant to combine this with my other post. Sorry everyone.

I just finished up:

41-oATFYEQL.jpg

S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst

This is definitely one of the most unconventional books I've read in a while. For those who don't know, the novel is meant to emulate an old library book written by a mysterious author, and it's filled with marginalia and inserts (postcards, newspaper clippings, etc.) from two characters who are analyzing it. The conversations between the two annotators are by far the most compelling part of the story; they were really interesting and the relationship between them felt natural. The fictional work itself, Ship of Theseus, has some fun ideas and setpieces but I don't think it would quite work on its own without everything else surrounding it. The overarching conspiracy/mystery that ties everything together is the weak point, I think; while it was fun to watch the characters get way into it, I never found it all that exciting myself.

But overall I think it's definitely more than the sum of its parts. I got pretty engrossed in it, and it's absolutely stunning to look at. Even in its slower moments, I was still excited to turn the page so I could see what the next set of handwritten notes or physical insert was going to look like.

Just ordered this thanks to this post! :D

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Read a bit more into Brilliance, and it's definitely X-Men except the 'powers' are more grounded. No people shooting balls of fire, or controlling metal. The 'powers' venture more on the side of predicting stock market exchange prices, being able to visualize codes of programs in the mind etc...

So far I'm enjoying it, but it's very early (I'm around 10%).

Also I gotta say that I love the cover of the book.

Shengar

I thought The Graveyard Book was one of Gaiman's best novels, actually. I think his children's and young adult novels are generally better than his more serious fare, though.

Sandman is obviously an exception
I've just into two of his novels, so I can't say really much on Gaiman overall style. I put my hope on Anansi Boys and American Gods, though the latter not so much since the copy I own is translated one.
Read a bit more into Brilliance, and it's definitely X-Men except the 'powers' are more grounded. No people shooting balls of fire, or controlling metal. The 'powers' venture more on the side of predicting stock market exchange prices, being able to visualize codes of programs in the mind etc...

So far I'm enjoying it, but it's very early (I'm around 10%).

Also I gotta say that I love the cover of the book.

Isn't that actually thing that human can do? How is that power like X-Men?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Isn't that actually thing that human can do? How is that power like X-Men?
In the book they aren't treated as humans, they are treated as abnormal people with 'gifts' that pose a threat to mankind, isn't that how mutants are seen in x-men?

I think the similarity is pretty striking. It's just to me that the powers are less fantastical and more grounded.

the main character for instance has the ability to read body language to such degree that he can predict what people are going to do and what they are feeling at a particular moment. I don't think any human can do that.

Jag

I just finished:

12953520.jpg

I really wanted to like this book. It took the theme of Hitchhikers and married it to some great music from the 70s. Hell, he even named an intergalactic planetary shield after my favorite musician. The story is about aliens who love our music and pirate everything from the 1977 onward. Because they follow our copyright laws (I know), they owe us more money than exists in the universe.

But I didn't like the book at all. I don't know if it was the picky legal parts where the author (a non lawyer and the founder of Listen.com) tries to show off his legal knowledge and comes off condescending. It's possible that being a lawyer and knowing this stuff pretty well, I'm more critical of it. Or if it was how everyone just accepts the presence of aliens and is perfectly fine with it. I also found the writing to be very superficial and dry. Great idea but flawed execution.

No spoilers, but what a disaster that third book turned out to be. I thought the first two were pretty good, too. :/

Oh no. I'm about 10% into the 2nd book and not enjoying it at all. The writing is just so bad even for a YA book. Should I just stop now? I remember not liking the 1st book all that much but watching the trailer for the movie jump started me again.

Oh no. I'm about 10% into the 2nd book and not enjoying it at all. The writing is just so bad even for a YA book. Should I just stop now? I remember not liking the 1st book all that much but watching the trailer for the movie jump started me again.
I liked the first book, the second one was okay and I only finished Allegiant because I wanted to know how the trilogy ends. I don't like abandoning books, so I'd recommend to finish it. But if you didn't really enjoy Divergent then I would think twice about starting the last book of the trilogy.

Shengar

Just finished with Embassytown. Compared to other Mieville works, perhaps it have one of the most intricate ideas, though not the most revolting. The idea is really enticing, but seriously other than that Embassytown is screwed. While the story is actually good, and really interesting, it was placed under depth layer of horrible narration that'll confuse you a lot. You don't know what the fuck is going on until you reach the last third part of the book. Despite its shortcoming, Embassytown is still an interesting read.

Maybe this is just me, but Embassytown actually the most idea ridden among Mieville works I've read so far. The ideas there have subtle reference, methapor, or representation on religion. I don't really like this, personally, but it doesn't water down my impression of the book in the end since he do that very subtly, under enticing ideas. I've heard that Iron Council not so subtle on showing Mieville idealism, so perhaps I should really avoid it.

Now, onto the next book, time to indulge myself with some Lord Dunsany goodness
14689.jpg

Alright, now that I only have a few hours worth of it left, I'm going to go ahead and say it: Leviathan Wakes is better than The Culture series, a lot better.

Leviathan Wakes is amazing, and the rest of the series holds up beautifully. I'm so glad I read the full Expanse series last year, and am eagerly awaiting the next in the series.

There are not words that can properly express just how much I am enjoying this book. :D

That book was a blast. Tons of fun!

They just get progressively worse, and the drop from the second to third novel is shocking. Let's say the first book is three-and-a-half stars. That makes the second book a solid three stars, and the third book one-and-a-half stars. The writing style changes completely, the POV swaps for no thematic reason other than to allow the author to "wrap up" the story, and what a horrible wrap up it is.

I finished it for the sake of completion, but unless you feel that itch or really want to know how it ends (you'll be let down), then I would advise you jump ship. There are too many actual good books out there to waste time on crappy ones.

Jintor

Finished The Selfish Gene by Dawkins. I'd read the Blind Watchmaker many years ago, and that's probably due for a re-read eventually. I think I'm getting more irritated by the way Dawkins writes as time goes on, but the science seemed pretty good.

I gave this a read at before I went to work this morning and i loved it. hahah it felt like a episode of Twilight Zone

Im also reading this on my downtime

Im really digging the Kindle Singles. I picked up all the Joe Hill and King ones and the Dr Watson singles by Patrick Mercer

mjc

17999892.jpg

Sounded like an interesting story so I picked this up for my Kindle. I'm a sucker for history/sci-fi stories so this might scratch my itch!

Narag

This one was a blast. I thought I'd figured out the ending well ahead of time, but he still managed to surprise me. Really entertaining and quick-paced.

Yup, thought I had it all figured out too. Felt great to be wrong and see how it fit together when finished.

thecrossing1.jpg

I wasn't bowled over by All the Pretty Horses, but I'm only a short way into this and I'm already enjoying it quite a bit more already. I was also surprised to see the viewpoint of the wolf they are hunting. Looking forward to getting back to it later.

Aw yiss. Second favorite McCarthy novel.

Wiktor

Finished:
Liked it, altough not as much as the first one. The plot was structured in such way that the whole thing felt very short. More like novella than proper novel. Plus while I like the narration overall sometimes Odd gets way to chatty.

Still nice book though.

I felt sudden urge for some Cthulu fix, so I started reading:

Joe Abercrombie released the cover of his new book with an excerpt.

Comes out in July UK and US. Ended up pre-ordering it. I'm weak.

ku-xlarge.jpg

The Greater Good

There was a harsh gale blowing on the night Yarvi learned he was a king. Or half a king, at least.

A seeking wind, the Gettlanders called it, for it found out every chink and keyhole, moaning Mother Sea's dead chill into every dwelling, no matter how high the fires were banked or how close the folk were huddled.

It tore at the shutters in the narrow windows of Mother Gundring's chambers and rattled even the iron-bound door in its frame. It taunted the flames in the firepit and they spat and crackled in their anger, casting clawing shadows from the dried herbs hanging, throwing flickering light upon the root that Mother Gundring held up in her knobbled fingers.

'And this?'

It looked like nothing so much as a clod of dirt, but Yarvi had learned better. 'Black-tongue root.'

'And why might a minister reach for it, my prince?'

'A minister hopes they won't have to. Boiled in water it can't be seen or tasted, but is a most deadly poison.'

Mother Gundring tossed the root aside. 'Ministers must sometimes reach for dark things.'

'Ministers must find the lesser evil,' said Yarvi.

'And weigh the greater good. Five right from five.' Mother Gundring gave a single approving nod and Yarvi flushed with pride. The approval of Gettland's minister was not easily won. 'And the riddles on the test will be easier.'

'The test.' Yarvi rubbed nervously at the crooked palm of his bad hand with the thumb of his good.

'You will pass.'

'You can't be sure.'

'It is a minister's place always to doubt—'

'But always to seem certain,' he finished for her.

'See? I know you.' That was true. No one knew him better, even in his own family. Especially in his own family. 'I have never had a sharper pupil. You will pass at the first asking.'

'And I'll be Prince Yarvi no more.' All he felt at that thought was relief. 'I'll have no family and no birthright.'

'You will be Brother Yarvi, and your family will be the Ministry.' The firelight found the creases about Mother Gundring's eyes as she smiled. 'Your birthright will be the plants and the books and the soft word spoken. You will remember and advise, heal and speak truth, know the secret ways and smooth the path for Father Peace in every tongue. As I have tried to do. There is no nobler work, whatever nonsense the muscle-smothered fools spout in the training square.'

'The muscle-smothered fools are harder to ignore when you're in the square with them.'

'Huh.' She curled her tongue and spat into the fire. 'Once you pass the test you only need go there to tend a broken head when the play gets too rough. One day you will carry my staff.' She nodded towards the tapering length of studded and slotted elf-metal which leaned against the wall. 'One day you will sit beside the Black Chair, and be Father Yarvi.'

'Father Yarvi.' He squirmed on his stool at that thought. 'I lack the wisdom.' He meant he lacked the courage, but lacked the courage to admit it.

'Wisdom can be learned, my prince.'

He held his left hand, such as it was, up to the light. 'And hands? Can you teach those?'

'You may lack a hand, but the gods have given you rarer gifts.'

He snorted. 'My fine singing voice, you mean?'

'Why not? And a quick mind, and empathy, and strength. Only the kind of strength that makes a great minister, rather than a great king. You have been touched by Father Peace, Yarvi. Always remember: strong men are many, wise men are few.'

'No doubt why women make better ministers.'

'And better tea, in general.' Gundring slurped from the cup he brought her every evening, and nodded approval again. 'But the making of tea is another of your mighty talents.'

'Hero's work indeed. Will you give me less flattery when I've turned from prince into minister?'

'You will get such flattery as you deserve, and my foot in your arse the rest of the time.'

Yarvi sighed. 'Some things never change.'

'Now to history.' Mother Gundring slid one of the books from its shelf, stones set into the gilded spine winking red and green.

'Now? I have to be up with Mother Sun to feed your doves. I was hoping to get some sleep before—'

'I'll let you sleep when you've passed the test.'

'No you won't.'

'You're right, I won't.' She licked one finger, ancient paper crackling as she turned the pages. 'Tell me, my prince, into how many splinters did the elves break God?'

'Four hundred and nine. The four hundred Small Gods, the six Tall Gods, the first man and woman, and Death, who guards the Last Door. But isn't this more the business of a prayer-weaver than a minister?'

Mother Gundring clicked her tongue. 'All knowledge is the business of the minister, for only what is known can be controlled. Name the six Tall Gods.'

'Mother Sea and Father Earth, Mother Sun and Father Moon, Mother War and—'

The door banged wide and that seeking wind tore through the chamber. The flames in the firepit jumped as Yarvi did, dancing distorted in the hundred hundred jars and bottles on the shelves. A figure blundered up the steps, setting the bunches of plants swinging like hanged men behind him.

It was Yarvi's Uncle Odem, hair plastered to his pale face with the rain and his chest heaving. He stared at Yarvi, eyes wide, and opened his mouth but made no sound. One needed no gift of empathy to see he was weighed down by heavy news.

'What is it?' croaked Yarvi, his throat tight with fear.

His uncle dropped to his knees, hands on the greasy straw. He bowed his head, and spoke two words, low and raw.

'My king.'

And Yarvi knew his father and brother were dead.

TCRS

Banned
Sounds interesting.

I have only read the trilogy, but I am thinking of reading The Heroes. Best Served Cold doesn't sound very interesting, I just want to read more about the north. The Heroes seems to be more of a sequel to the trilogy than other two.

TTG

Started a sample of Gravity's Rainbow and put it down after 20 pages or so. Obscure, abstract sentences that run on for half a page that leave no impression except for being intentionally vague. Which, by the way, is about the only thing that invariably frustrates me when reading. So, that's a bummer, it's not like I have a half dozen other things lined up that I can move on to, now I'm stuck browsing lists and whatnot... maybe I'll just reread 1984. I've seen Pynchon mentioned a lot here, does it get any better?

Currently reading Different Seasons by Stephen King. Finished Hope Springs Eternal, and I am nearing the end of Summer of Corruption. Summer of Corruption is really fucked up. I usually like to read while I am eating breakfast, but I just can't do it with this book. That doesn't mean I don't like it, though!

Switch Back 9

Sounds interesting.

I have only read the trilogy, but I am thinking of reading The Heroes. Best Served Cold doesn't sound very interesting, I just want to read more about the north. The Heroes seems to be more of a sequel to the trilogy than other two.
The heroes was definitely the best of that trilogy. All north, all dirty, lots of violence. Best served cold dragged a lot, red country was fun but a bit too westerny fora fantasy series. I kept picturing everyone with guns instead of swords.

TCRS

Banned
The heroes was definitely the best of that trilogy. All north, all dirty, lots of violence. Best served cold dragged a lot, red country was fun but a bit too westerny fora fantasy series. I kept picturing everyone with guns instead of swords.

lol, cheers. I'll order it then. The Heroes I mean.

Has anyone here read the paperback version of Way of Kings? I'm hesitant to buy it because of its length. The last 1000+ page paperback I owned was terrible quality(words rubbing off when you touched them, flimsy pages, etc) and I'd prefer a hardcover, but it's rather expensive.

Piecake

Has anyone here read the paperback version of Way of Kings? I'm hesitant to buy it because of its length. The last 1000+ page paperback I owned was terrible quality(words rubbing off when you touched them, flimsy pages, etc) and I'd prefer a hardcover, but it's rather expensive.

Buying a Kindle is the obvious solution

mjc

That's one of the prime reasons I got a Kindle actually, makes massive books like that one easier to read.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I got a copy of this:

YVsKWCO.jpg

So, I should probably finally start my copy of this:

the-way-of-kings-by-brandon-sanderson.png

I've been hesitant to jump into another big series, but I'm a big fan of Brandon's other work and I've been in the mood for epic fantasy.

Piecake

I got a copy of this:

YVsKWCO.jpg

So, I should probably finally start my copy of this:

the-way-of-kings-by-brandon-sanderson.png

I've been hesitant to jump into another big series, but I'm a big fan of Brandon's other work and I've been in the mood for epic fantasy.

You can give it to me if you are hesitant. I won't mind

Just finished:

51fCSRLkzAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It started off with a good build up of the zombie apocalypse and well described zombie action scenes and intriguing thoughts from the main character, etc. But there were several obvious plot devices to help garner conflict and struggle between the characters and the zombies that really brought this book down. The author's style is fairly basic, but lends itself enough to paint a picture of the area around the characters and the main character's motivation, etc.

Not sure if I'll read the sequel as this book was pretty average overall and not deserving of the high reviews on Amazon and GoodReads.

I may look to finally read the Steve Jobs biography next whenever I finish up Skeleton Crew.

Nezumi

Finished:

Shards_of_honor_cover.jpg

Liked it quite a lot. Though I thought that Cordelia was a bit to impeccable for my taste and the whole love story aspect was slightly rushed, but those things didn't have an impact of my overall enjoyment of the book. Which is why I started:

Barrayar.jpg

Not far into it but it appears to be good as well.

My progress with Red Country is terrible slow. I don't know if it is because of the book or if I'm just terribly tired at the moment, but I rarely manage to listen to more than 5 minutes before I fall a sleep.

Top Bottom