• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2015)

It's not that the book was bad, far from it, there was a lot of good stuff in there. I came to really enjoy Saul's POV, and I liked the hints and dribbles of the truth that slowly came out as we approached the end. But then the book just kind of... stops. Midflow, mid-sentence almost. It's going and then it isn't. And it feels like we ran out of pages more than the story having actually ended. I don't need answers to everything. I don't need all the threads neatly tied off. But man. Give me something.

You have one of the defective copies missing the last three pages that answer all your questions.

My copy was missing them, too!

Althane

Ah. Well, LeadProtagonist got what I meant by it. :)

Hah, gotcha. I'm just not so great at GIF-communication.

The Long Earth was an interesting read. I like the possibility for adventure, the infinite exploration possible was promising, but... the characters just didn't really interest me. My favorite parts were when they were going into the social and economic impacts.

I've spoken to a lot of editors who have told me about their "editor-proof" authors. People who submit and just say it's okay. It's a ridiculous practice. Nobody gets it right first time. Nobody.

Interesting you should say that - Malazan's Erikson claims to never make revisions. I simply cannot fathom that.

Interesting you should say that - Malazan's Erikson claims to never make revisions. I simply cannot fathom that.

When you're writing random conversations between two unknown characters that equates to pure nonsense, what's the point in editing?

I haven't read any of his stuff and cannot back up that statement with anything factual.

RaGe_pt

th

I'm liking it a lot. Love the way Tolstoy is discribing the relationships between the characters and they way he describes the russian high class society. It'll be a great ride with this one.

Finished The Explorer by the incomparable James Smythe! Very fun sci-fi tale. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I must know
what does the anomaly number mean? And does it have a special meaning for you, whatevermort?

Now starting The Little Sister

The Little Sister by Raymond Chandler

You know, it sucks that when you quote a post the spoiler is right there. :( At least I'm past that part so I know what you're talking about. :)

Reading four books right now, depending on where I am and what I have space for i.e. if I'm on the front of the bus with no lights I'm reading The Explorer or Gone Girl or A Once Crowded Sky on my ipod but if I'm near the back where the lights stay on I'm reading Boneshaker on an actual book.

survivor

Banned
Oh man, I'm looking forward to your reaction of the rest of the Foundation books.
Gonna be forever till I get to the later Foundation books. After the third one I wanna go through the four Robot novels and then go over couple of his short story collections.

TTG

Gonna be forever till I get to the later Foundation books. After the third one I wanna go through the four Robot novels and then go over couple of his short story collections.

I felt the I, Robot collection was a lot stronger than the Foundation books I read(first three). The latter really didn't have much going for them apart from the central premise, which is in line with the "big idea" category of sci fi I've seen described here. After finishing them, I couldn't help but think those ideas had to have packed much more of a punch when they were first released. That's not uncommon with sci fi, for every Nueromancer we get what seems like ten Foundations, books that don't age particularly well.

I, Robot, on the other hand, has a bunch of endearing characters and interesting stories. Asimov does better on the smaller stage, with plot revolving around people rather than empires. I really enjoyed the philosophical dilemmas the AI stuff posed too, it's very good classic sci fi in the sense of how it rips philosophy topics straight out of a course and incorporates them into a great narrative. It has pretty much all of the things I love about sci fi to one extent or another, one of my favorite books. So yea, if you get bored, don't dump Asimov outright but move on to I, Robot instead, it's a treasure.

TTG

The second book of The Southern Reach Trilogy was definitely the highlight for me.

I'm the opposite. I enjoyed the mood of the first one and the way the first contact story coalesced in the end. I don't know if I would have lasted all the way through the second book if there wasn't the final one to look forward to. The second book had a few chilling scenes, but that was it.

I enjoyed all three though. If there was a barometer of some sort, the Southern Reach trilogy goes somewhere next to The Martian. No all time great, but it's fun.

besada

Banned
I enjoy seeing which books of the Southern Teach trilogy people liked and didn't, because it seems so varied. The second was my favorite, followed by the third. And I thought the ending was just about note perfect in what it told us and what it didn't. We're all viewing every book through the lens of our personal experiences, so it's enjoyable to me to see such different takes.

Lumiere

Neo Member
The second book of The Southern Reach Trilogy was definitely the highlight for me.
It was the highlight for me as well! It was definitely the most unsettling of the three.
It seems to be the least favorite of the trilogy for a lot of people though :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought the first book was the strongest, but my favorite scene is probably
space whale biologist, followed by the discovery of Whitby's room.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just ordered the Spanish version of Carlos Ruis Zafon's "Shadow of the Wind". Spanish is my first language but nowadays i only use it to communicate with my mother and during the occasional supermarket visit down here in Miami.
I checked a sample of the novel out and it wasn't too difficult to comprehend. Definitely going to have the internet next to me in case i don't know a word.

Anybody read this in English or Spanish?

Also ordered a hardcover Albert Camus anthology, in English my French, je ne parle.

TTG

Y'all need to check out Roadside Picnic, assuming the translation holds up. It starts in a similar place, but unfurls to be so much more elegant, heartfelt and reflective of the human condition.

Pau

O6p6GM3.jpg

Really enjoying Catherynne M. Valente's The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden.

I'm finding myself finally reading books that Jon Foster has illustrated the covers for. (First was Mistborn.) I remember admiring these images in his gallery, so it's nice to get some context for them! Check them out; he's seriously too fucking good.

Just ordered the Spanish version of Carlos Ruis Zafon's "Shadow of the Wind". Spanish is my first language but nowadays i only use it to communicate with my mother and during the occasional supermarket visit down here in Miami.
I checked a sample of the novel out and it wasn't too difficult to comprehend. Definitely going to have the internet next to me in case i don't know a word.

I'm a native Spanish speaker with the same problem, but I read it in English because my book club at school ordered it like that and it was free. I've looked through the Spanish version and it really doesn't seem too difficult. I bought the sequel in spanish, but I never really got into it. I really dislike how they published it. (It's this heavy book that's bigger than it needs to be.)

Also ordered a hardcover Albert Camus anthology, in English my French, je ne parle.

I have the Spanish edition on my Kindle! I bought it to practice my Spanish but I haven't had the time or motivation to go through it yet. :p

survivor

Banned
I felt the I, Robot collection was a lot stronger than the Foundation books I read(first three). The latter really didn't have much going for them apart from the central premise, which is in line with the "big idea" category of sci fi I've seen described here. After finishing them, I couldn't help but think those ideas had to have packed much more of a punch when they were first released. That's not uncommon with sci fi, for every Nueromancer we get what seems like ten Foundations, books that don't age particularly well.

I, Robot, on the other hand, has a bunch of endearing characters and interesting stories. Asimov does better on the smaller stage, with plot revolving around people rather than empires. I really enjoyed the philosophical dilemmas the AI stuff posed too, it's very good classic sci fi in the sense of how it rips philosophy topics straight out of a course and incorporates them into a great narrative. It has pretty much all of the things I love about sci fi to one extent or another, one of my favorite books. So yea, if you get bored, don't dump Asimov outright but move on to I, Robot instead, it's a treasure.
I have already read I, Robot which is what made me initially an Asimov fan. I was thinking of picking up Robot Dreams and also Robot Visions as these two collections seem to include vast majority of his short stories.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Re your spoiler:
The number doesn't mean anything as an actual number - it's more a classification. You'd have to read The Echo (which is the second book in the quartet) to learn more about what it means/stands for. (As for the number itself? It's my date of birth.)
Challenge accepted. I'll start it after I finish The Little Sister.

And sorry about the spoiler allegate. Too bad it gets revealed like that.

LProtag

I'm a good way into The Hero of Ages and I'm liking it a lot more than The Well of Ascension. Really interested in seeing how everything ends and ties together.

I might jump right into The Alloy of Law and just get all the Mistborn books done in one fell swoop.

Also I'm probably going to read The Stormlight Archive now, as I'm pretty sure I'll like Sanderson's other works.

I've never really been one for fantasy or sci-fi novels that weren't considered 'classics' or 'literary' before, but lately I've been finding that a good deal of my reading is coming out of the fantasy and sci-fi section of my local used book store. I guess as an English major I was constantly reading the classics or literary fiction that I never really stopped to explore it. I'm glad I have.

... I'm still a snobby book reader though and can't get into YA even if stuff like Mistborn veers into that realm a bit.

Mumei

I might jump right into The Alloy of Law and just get all the Mistborn books done in one fell swoop.

Also I'm probably going to read The Stormlight Archive now, as I'm pretty sure I'll like Sanderson's other works.

The Alloy of Law is set generations after the main series and is... How to put this? Lame. I really didn't enjoy it.

The Stormlight Archive is a lot like Mistborn but scaled up, I suppose. I really enjoyed the first two books.

... I'm still a snobby book reader though and can't get into YA even if stuff like Mistborn veers into that realm a bit.

Try The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship Of Her Own Making!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A Wizard of Earthsea is YA.

Dohohohohoho.

Epcott

I'm a good way into The Hero of Ages and I'm liking it a lot more than The Well of Ascension. Really interested in seeing how everything ends and ties together.

Yeah, the Mistborn series is pretty good. I always see Alloy of Law as more of a Sherlock Holmes take on the series, and a spiritual successor to the original trilogy.

Cade

Possibly your expectations will be appropriately calibrated. :p
Could be :p

I enjoy seeing which books of the Southern Teach trilogy people liked and didn't, because it seems so varied. The second was my favorite, followed by the third. And I thought the ending was just about note perfect in what it told us and what it didn't. We're all viewing every book through the lens of our personal experiences, so it's enjoyable to me to see such different takes.

Yeah, I'm enjoying reading people's vastly differing opinions here. I'm liking the second book a lot just because of how much of a shift it is from book one.

Althane

Yeah, the Mistborn series is pretty good. I always see Alloy of Law as more of a Sherlock Holmes take on the series, and a spiritual successor to the original trilogy.

As in Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes, not original Sherlock Holmes, surely?

Nuke Soda

Finished Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein and really liked it. There are one or two ideas in the book that really remind you that it is over 50 years, but other than those moments it was a good read. Reading Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals by Dan Abnett and Nik Vincent because I liked the 2013 game. So far it is a breezy and fast read. Started it last night and am already on pg. 149.

TTG

So, I finished The Dark Tower series today. I've been reading it on and off for probably the last six months or so. Don't know how to frame this post, I absolutely don't want some gargantuan soliloquy on what must be like 4000 pages.

I'll say this though, it was fun. It works as an entertaining series with a really cool premise, a ton of well told plot that somehow almost never grows stale, and a good number of interesting ideas stacked on top of it. Some bad ones as well mind you, there was no reason to drag a bunch of other Stephen King books into it and even less is to be said for
King to drag himself in.
But if you're not so invested in it, as I wasn't, you can stand to tolerate that stuff and move on. If this was your jam for a long time, I can see plenty of reasons to be pissed. But this sort of book doesn't bear close examination in general, woe be to the reader who holds it in too high of esteem, King will bludgeon you for it.

Getting back to the positives, Roland Deschain is a strong character. His back story is great and masterfully told, I ate a lot of that stuff with a soup ladle. The way his character comes out of a shell is fun to watch as well. Towards the latter half of the series it really bloats and Roland suffers for it, most of him is erased until all the reader has left is some superficial traits as his gang goes on one adventure after the other, but he comes back strong in the end. Jake Chambers is good too while we're at it. And did I mention the premise? LOTR plus Sergio Leone westerns, Roland slaying heroin addiction and some other stuff I'd rather not spoil in NYC instead of dragons in the sequel, oh and a dystopian alternate future and a helping robots and... a ton of entertaining, fun plot. If that(and not much else mind you) wrapped in some really cool packaging sounds fun, you may want to give this series a try.

obin_gam

I need suggestions for the next book I'm going to listen to.
I read The Disaster Artist now, and loving it. Are there more of these kind of great biographical accounts of absurd shit happening?

fakefaker

Finished up Firefall by Peter Watts and enjoyed it even though the 2nd book was a bit draggy at times. Gonna get my magic fix going with Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

14202.jpg

It was the highlight for me as well! It was definitely the most unsettling of the three.
It seems to be the least favorite of the trilogy for a lot of people though :(

Could be :p

Yeah, I'm enjoying reading people's vastly differing opinions here. I'm liking the second book a lot just because of how much of a shift it is from book one.

I went to Barnes and Nobles today to get the second book, but they only had the first and third :|

Cade

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147698453]I went to Barnes and Nobles today to get the second book, but they only had the first and third :|[/QUOTE]

Did you end up appreciating book one more by the end or did you finish it yet?

Nymerio

Finished Skin Deep (Legion #2) by Brandon Sanderson yesterday. It was great. Don't know what to read next though. I think I'm starting the Reckoners series by Sanderson but I'm not sure yet. I'd really like to read some kind of horror or mystery book.

NekoFever

So, I finished The Dark Tower series today. I've been reading it on and off for probably the last six months or so. Don't know how to frame this post, I absolutely don't want some gargantuan soliloquy on what must be like 4000 pages.

I'll say this though, it was fun. It works as an entertaining series with a really cool premise, a ton of well told plot that somehow almost never grows stale, and a good number of interesting ideas stacked on top of it. Some bad ones as well mind you, there was no reason to drag a bunch of other Stephen King books into it and even less is to be said for
King to drag himself in.
But if you're not so invested in it, as I wasn't, you can stand to tolerate that stuff and move on. If this was your jam for a long time, I can see plenty of reasons to be pissed. But this sort of book doesn't bear close examination in general, woe be to the reader who holds it in too high of esteem, King will bludgeon you for it.

Getting back to the positives, Roland Deschain is a strong character. His back story is great and masterfully told, I ate a lot of that stuff with a soup ladle. The way his character comes out of a shell is fun to watch as well. Towards the latter half of the series it really bloats and Roland suffers for it, most of him is erased until all the reader has left is some superficial traits as his gang goes on one adventure after the other, but he comes back strong in the end. Jake Chambers is good too while we're at it. And did I mention the premise? LOTR plus Sergio Leone westerns, Roland slaying heroin addiction and some other stuff I'd rather not spoil in NYC instead of dragons in the sequel, oh and a dystopian alternate future and a helping robots and... a ton of entertaining, fun plot. If that(and not much else mind you) wrapped in some really cool packaging sounds fun, you may want to give this series a try.

Weird. I finished it yesterday (minus Wind Through the Keyhole). Must be ka.

It felt like a long journey for me because I've been reading it on and off for about 10 years. I'd heard bad things the conclusion so expected the worst, but although I thought Song of Susannah was a weak book, I loved the last three books overall. It got quite dusty in the room towards the end there, I must admit.

Sinking my teeth into the seventh Malazan book, Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson. The last few books have just been getting better and better. The first book was fun but mainly a pitch for the series (which clearly worked well on me). Then the second two felt like complimentary halves of the same books, and expanded the world hugely while also drastically raising the stakes and developing more interesting characters. Four and six brought everything together and marched it all forward. The
siege of Y'Ghatan and the process of crawling away beneath it
in book six was probably my favorite sequence of any of the books so far. Meanwhile, the almost-totally-disconnected book 5 was bewildering at first but wound up really enjoyable. Tehol and Bugg were pretty fantastic.

Now, based on the dramatis personae for Reaper's Gale, it seems like this will bring things together more thoroughly, dragging the characters from the rest of the books towards the setting and conflict introduced in book 5.

Also, I'm listening to Ancillary Sword as an audiobook off and on. Still pretty neat, but I like Justice better, I think.

200px-Fast_food_nation.jpg

I'm currently bouncing around the Kindle Unlimited selection, which brought me to Fast Food Nation. It's very obviously a decade old at this point, but the concepts and big-picture ideas are still very relevant. I like that the book never rams a thesis down your throat like a lot of other authors would - it lets you appreciate the spectacle that is the fast food industry first before unsettling you.

Makes me crave fast food like crazy, weirdly enough. I must be brainwashed. Kindle Unlimited is paying off so far - three books this month.

cover225x225.jpeg

Also reading The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov. It's very ambitious, even for Asimov, but some of the most out-there stuff comes off surprisingly well and not hackneyed or silly.

Hey you guys see the new Expanse trailer?

The Expanse

Christ almighty. Looks fantastic.

Donos

Just finished 1984 (Orwell) since i wanted to read some classics. Pretty interesting but it's not going to be a favourite or even a reread. Mood and atmosphere of the "world" is pretty intense and well written. Crazy how some aspects/"rules" are well thought and fleshed out.

Probably going to tackle the side story books of The Malazan Book of the Fallen world next.

Top Bottom