• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2012)

WriterGK

meyer13uur275.jpg

and I am also reading:

a-game-of-thrones-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-book-1.jpg

GCX

dqoIE.jpg

Such an interesting and different little memoir with some great life lessons here and there. For some reason I just love reading Murakami's everyday thoughts.

How is it?

Only read two stories so far - one was by Stephen King and the other by Orson Scott Card. They were both meh.

A couple great stories, a couple of not so great and a couple of turds. Not a bad collection at all though. Adams' other collections are pretty good too.

I currently got 3 books started but none have hooked me.

Containment
The Forever War
Crime and Punishment (started this last night.)

I just read Containment last week. Starts out very slow but then gets awesome and then ends too abruptly. Pacing was all off on what could've been a great book.

K-19

Banned
9782266205993.jpg

Charles de Gaulle's memories of war part 1. He was a French General who fought against the Nazi during the WW2 whereas the Vichy government took the power in France. He was forced to exile himself in UK because of the death verdict pronounced against him by Pétain ( Vichy dictator ). An exceptionnal figure of courage in time of crisis and one of my greatest exemple.

WriterGK

dqoIE.jpg

Such an interesting and different little memoir with some great life lessons here and there. For some reason I just love reading Murakami's everyday thoughts.

Let me know what you think of it. He is one of my favorite top 5 writers. Because Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore I just love, those books are in my top 3 favorite books together with 1984 from Orwell.

Bauhaus

Banned
Just finished
pandemuerto.jpg

great book but with a ending not as good as the rest of it.
In my top ten of short novels.

I'm probably going back to Garcia Marquez work after this.

Alvarius

Banned
200px-Brief_Interviews_with_Hideous_Men_cover.jpg

i dont think im ready for infinite jest yet

this is pretty great so far.. love the story about the kid waiting to go off the high diving board at the pool.. so many great details that took me back
In my opinion, 95% of Infinite Jest is easier to read than the stories in that book.

jergrah

Shadow-and-Bone.jpg

Read a positive review for this a couple months back. I'm about halfway through and am enjoying it so far. Gisha, Sun Summoners, Darklings, etc...interesting universe.

Arrol

Neo Member
I've read a couple of things so far this summer:

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami - I really enjoyed reading this even though I thought that the third book was not as good as the first two. Still, I think the ending is my favorite out of all of the Murakami novels I've read so far.

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson - While I found the biography really interesting, I thought that some things about Jobs were repeated way too often (like his anger or his design philosophy). I kind of had to force myself to finish this since it felt like I was reading the same things over again.

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka - Really eerie and really creepy. It was the first time I read anything by Kafka outside of short stories and I really liked it.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Anyone read Tigana? Sounds neat...still trying to find something to get me back into reading after like 5 months of nothing.

It's on my to read pile. Kay has always gotten high praise, that I've seen but I've never gotten around to reading him.

Holes by Louis Sachar

A children's book without doubt, but wonderfully executed. Sachar nails the structure, and while the turns are obvious in advance to the adult reader, I expect they'd have been impressive and fun as a kid. I wouldn't hesitate to read this to my imaginary children.

I read this in another language as a way to study, and its awesome! I only knew it from the trailer for the movie, and I figured it was just some dumb kids book. But then I found out was written by the same guy who did the Wayside Stories books.

I just finished Cat's Cradle. I read Breakfast of Champions in high school and it made no sense to me then. But Cat's Cradle is so good, it manages to be so funny and so sad at the same time. I'm gonna reread Breakfast of Champions now.

Kuraudo

Banned
"the depressed person" was an exhausting read.. does it get more difficult than that? (brief interviews)

i should just finish it and shut up.. nm

Yes. Just wait until you get to Church Not Made With Hands :)

Amazing work though. Octet was mindblowing when I read it and the final Brief Interview is incredibly powerful.

"the depressed person" was an exhausting read.. does it get more difficult than that? (brief interviews)

i should just finish it and shut up.. nm

Actually, I think 'The Depressed Person' is much more representative of Wallace overall than anything else in the book, except for maybe 'Forever Overhead'. If you didn't like 'Depressed', I'm not really sure Wallace's fiction will appeal to you. His nonfiction is something else entirely.

For the record, I LOVE Wallace and could do without 90% of 'Brief Interviews'. I'm not alone among Wallace fans in that opinion, either. Although John K (Jim from the American version of 'The Office) adapted and directed a movie of 'Brief Interviews', which I've still not seen...

Yes. Just wait until you get to Church Not Made With Hands :)

Amazing work though. Octet was mindblowing when I read it and the final Brief Interview is incredibly powerful.

Well, and poop. You have just reminded me that, years back, I never even bothered to *finish* Brief Interviews. My very, very bad. Off to the bookshelf...

suzu

Shadow-and-Bone.jpg

Read a positive review for this a couple months back. I'm about halfway through and am enjoying it so far. Gisha, Sun Summoners, Darklings, etc...interesting universe.

It's pretty good YA fiction, though predictable. I liked it.

Also added this to my current reading because I discovered that the iBooks catalog varies from the Kindle catalog. I've wanted to read this forever but I try not to buy physical books anymore.

DTJQ8.jpg

that cover O___O

Yeah. When I first saw it, I was like "Oh geeze another generic paranormal bad-ass chick." In a way, it's true, but in another way, it's a fairly accurate representation of the character. Although, I would have liked to see her in "shadow mode" more. Could be worse.

Anyone read Tigana? Sounds neat...still trying to find something to get me back into reading after like 5 months of nothing.

It's very good, and so is his Fionavar Tapestry trilogy.

Can anyone suggest a book(s) similar to 'The Cuckoo's Egg' by Clifford Stoll? I've read: Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution, Ghost in the Wires, The Fugitive Game, and The Watchman. Fiction or non-fiction, it doesn't matter.

_Isaac

Holes by Louis Sachar

A children's book without doubt, but wonderfully executed. Sachar nails the structure, and while the turns are obvious in advance to the adult reader, I expect they'd have been impressive and fun as a kid. I wouldn't hesitate to read this to my imaginary children.

This book is so good, it makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Can anyone suggest a book(s) similar to 'The Cuckoo's Egg' by Clifford Stoll? I've read: Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution, Ghost in the Wires, The Fugitive Game, and The Watchman. Fiction or non-fiction, it doesn't matter.

Halting State kinda fits that category. Cool book either way though, so I'd recommend it.

Astery

"1984" by George Orwell. Wanting to read this for a few months, recently started.

"A Theory of Fun for Game Design" by Raph Koster

"Game Design Workshop: A playcentric approach to creating innovative games" by Tracy Fullerton

Jhriad

kitchen-confidential.jpg

the-girl-who-played-with-fire.jpg

Kitchen Confidential was on sale at the local bookstore so I decided to pick it up. Enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Ashes

Banned
I have finished Emma. It was on a list of short classic novels. Lies. It is not 210 pages, it is closer to 375.

And as I am feeling so very guilty at having counted a short art book last week, as one part of my fifty Books to read challenge this year, I have decided to start Foucault's Pendulum, a six hundred page monster. That should account to two 300 page novels. At least where word count is concerned.

On Emma, it was great to see Austen the writer at work, and see how things clicked into place. From the paragraph level to the overarching plot. I forgive her for 'telling' so much, which I think is her way of offering a running commentary on her characters and offers a great insight. It goes to show, there are no set rules or ones that can't be broken. I don't think others can do it as well as Austen, and should stick to the more general advice: show.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished

Underground by Haruki Murakami - Wonderful and depressing read, the second part was probably the most interesting as it put the whole book into a entirely new context that was fascinating to say the least.

Now Reading

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - 76-pages in, and I'm blown away by what I'm experiencing so far. Really excited to read the rest of this.;o

berg ark

Hey reading-gaf, I need some help!

I'm looking for a book about the Inca Empire during the 15th and 16th centuries.

The beginning, how the empire was built - how did it become an empire.

The fall, what happened when the Spanish came.

I've searched the web for a while but this is really not my field, so I was wondering if anyone out there could help me find a book with good status about this subject.

You poor bastard. Who told you to read Prelude and Forward before the actual Trilogy?

I found Prelude infinitely more readable than "Foundation" - are you saying Foundation is better or worse than Prelude?

fake edit: OH HELL YES - these books are finally available on Kindle!

real edit: I read Prelude in high school many years ago, so perhaps it might read differently now that I'm an adult.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Finished

Underground by Haruki Murakami - Wonderful and depressing read, the second part was probably the most interesting as it put the whole book into a entirely new context that was fascinating to say the least.

Now Reading

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - 76-pages in, and I'm blown away by what I'm experiencing so far. Really excited to read the rest of this.;o

ACoD is one of my favorite novels that I've read in a long time. Great book, sad what happened to Toole.

ACoD is one of my favorite novels that I've read in a long time. Great book, sad what happened to Toole.

Well, maybe what happened to / what Toole did is part of why ACoD is what it is. Art is much better when it's coupled with the death of the artist. Just sayin'. But, yes, it's a very good book. :)

Patti Smith's novel Just Kids (adorable and painfully honest) and A Song of Ice & Fire: a Game of Thrones (so late to the party but now the show's off air what can you do).

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well, maybe what happened to / what Toole did is part of why ACoD is what it is. Art is much better when it's coupled with the death of the artist. Just sayin'. But, yes, it's a very good book. :)

Well, I didn't know he was even dead until a while after I finished the book, so I enjoyed it entirely on its own merits. :)

Top Bottom