• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2013)

Yado

I'd start with Kafka on the Shore, then continue with either Norwegian Wood or The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and then move to the rest.

The Wind-Up Bird was my first Murakami book, but I think it's very hit or miss, specially since it takes a long time to take off (took me about 3 months to get past the first half of the book because I sincerely thought it was boring), but if you already know his style it's much easier to bear with it and it's still an excellent book.

On the other hand, I read Kafka in the Shore a couple of years ago, having read most of his other books (I'm still missing a couple though) and I thought it was a perfect encapsulation of what Murakami books are. If you like anything about Kafka on the Shore, it's guaranteed there's at least another book of his you'll like. Do you like the fantastical aspects? Go with Hardboiled Wonderland. The magical realism? The Wind-Up Bird. Dislike all of the above? Go with Norwegian Wood.

I finished Kafka on the Shore this morning. I wasn't sure what to read next but your post has swayed me towards The Wind Up Bird. Kafka on the Shore was great but I'm not so fond of the unanswered mysteries.

Althane

Started on:

944073.jpg

I'm about half-way through this book and it took me a bit longer to warm up to it. Glokta and especially Bayaz are handled really well, though.

So, I have this, and I love most the characters, but Glokta just disturbs me. From the torture (his own, to others), and the fact that I can imagine him really well, I just dread his chapters and pretty much have to force myself to read through them.

I'm not even that far into the book, but... man. Glokta.

You linked to your books list, not your profile :) Which I guess isn't really wrong, lol, just added a few extra clicks :) Sent you a friend request.

I still have no idea what I'm in the mood to read =/

Have you ever read The Long Ships? If not, I suggest you read that immediately.

(I'd check your goodreads list but can't see it at work)

Bennettt2

I've just started River God by Wilbur Smith. Seems okay so far (first 3 pages). Anybody read this? Is it worth my time?

ibac1MS6zdtiJF.jpg

Looking forward to checking out the next two books (are these good too?), but am going to take a break and read 1984 before jumping into Shadows Linger. Never read 1984, so should be fun. Read the first chapter and it seems really neat so far.

I just finished all three books in the past month or so. I thought the first was the best, as it features epic battles on a scale you won't find in the next two. The second book is really good, but the story takes a while longer to really get started. The third book is excellent, and right on par with the first one.

Great trilogy overall, and Croaker becomes such a great character. I will definitely be continuing on with the later books.

Pastry

Banned
I'm reading Roadside Picnic right now and I'm in love with it so far. I'll probably be done by tonight and then no idea what I'm going to move on to from there.

ShaneB

Have you ever read The Long Ships? If not, I suggest you read that immediately.

(I'd check your goodreads list but can't see it at work)

Not on the list, but a recommendation from you I'll throw on the list.

Edward Adrift is a daily deal at Amazon and sounds really great, but I read it's the sequel to 600 Hours of Edward, which is cheap as well, I think I will read this next. "Heartfelt and hilarious, this moving novel will appeal to fans of Daniel Keyes’s classic Flowers for Algernon and to any reader who loves an underdog."

Yeah, decided on that. Now reading..

51caCWlIQIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

omgkitty

Another question related to Murakami:
What's his best book? I don't know where to start.

I'd honestly say his best books probably aren't the best place to start. I feel as if most people would say either The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or Norwegian Wood, but The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is long and tends to drag at times, and Norwegian Wood is kind of unlike any of his other books. But if you must start with his best, I'd say Norwegian Wood is a good one. I personally started with After Dark, and while not his best book, it gives you a good feel of what his style is like and it's pretty short.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I am reading Resurrection by Tim Curran.

It's about zombies. Which I am tired of, but being recently converted to a Tim Curran fan, I have to give it a shot.

Mumei

I read Murakami (mostly) in the order of release. I think that worked fine for me - and I didn't feel like I front-loaded it by reading all the best novels at the beginning.

I still want an answer on if anyone has ready Murakami's new book yet.

I didn't even know there was a new book!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
the-amazing-maurice-and-his-educated-rodents-1.jpg

What a great book. I dunno why I skipped over Pratchett's YA Discworld stuff so now I'm burning through them.

Talking caaaaaaaaaaaaaats.

Flek

Banned
Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino
cosmicomics.png

It's a collection of 12 short stories by Calvino (so not very long), each starting a with a short scientific fact that then lead into fantastical stories about the universe and its evolution. The first story, The Distance of the Moon, is probably my favourite so far. The imagery is really great:

what whats that? thats the exact same cover like
Jorge Luis Borges - The Aleph and Other Stories

!

Finally someone else reading Italo Calvino. Have you read anything else he's written?

Nope, this is the first. Honestly I'd never heard of him before the Idle Book Club episode on Cosmicomics

What are you reading by him?

what whats that? thats the exact same cover like
Jorge Luis Borges - The Aleph and Other Stories

Hm I'm not sure what that's about but thanks for mentioning it. I was looking for a clear picture:

thealephandotherstories.png

Fireblend

Banned
Haha not quite sure I'm in the mood for Lolita, kind of want to stick to sci-fi for the month.

You've probably already read em, but I always have to recommend Childhood's End and the rest of Clarke stories to people talking about sci-fi. I also mentioned Contact early in the thread which I think is pretty solid sci-fi as well. There's also A Canticle for Leibowitz, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the others I mentioned.

Roadside Picnic sounds pretty good, by the way.

Jenga

Banned
Anyone here know of a good non-fiction covering the Byzantines? I saw a couple on Amazon but I'd be more comfortable purchasing anything with a recommendation.

Falch

Foundation_And_Empire_f.jpeg

Finished Foundation, now halfway through Foundation & Empire. Rereading them (though it's been years), they're still fantastic. Second Foundation is next.

Should I bother with the other books in the Foundation saga?

Woorloog

Banned

Finished Foundation, now halfway through Foundation & Empire. Rereading them (though it's been years), they're still fantastic. Second Foundation is next.

Sure, why not, as long as they ain't written by someone else (Second Foundation Trilogy or some such, basically fanfiction...)
They aren't bad, though they're a bit different.
The sequels are better than prequels though, i think.

nimbus

Banned
I'm not Mumei, but If On a Winter's Night a Traveler is one of my favorite novels ever.

Co-sign. Calvino's Invisible Cities are supposed to be really good too, but when I was reading it I wasn't feeling it at all. But the premise is great! A traveler describes all these dream-like cities to a king. Calvino may be gimmicky but he's awesome.

Haven't read in almost two weeks but I am working on
oBAouig.png

Mumei

Nope, this is the first. Honestly I'd never heard of him before the Idle Book Club episode on Cosmicomics

What are you reading by him?

Well, nothing currently but:

I'm not Mumei, but If On a Winter's Night a Traveler is one of my favorite novels ever.

If on a winter's night a traveler is one of my favorite novels. I have also read Marcovaldo (didn't do much for me), The Baron in the Trees (fantastic), and Invisible Cities (
fantastic
).

I was introduced to Calvino by a professor in college: We were talking and somehow Murakami came up - I think because I was reading something of his at the time and said professor had taught in Japan - and he mentioned Calvino as another author with surreal, magical realist works, and specifically suggested Cosmicomics and If on a winter's night. Great recommendation.

This is also a potential future book club choice!

Yes. Potential. Yes.

Mumei

For myself. I love French so I've been wanting to read this for a while (reading it in French btw).

Oh! I had to read the Lydia Davis translation. It's one of those books where just hearing people talk about the writing in the original makes me wish I could read it in the original language. I had the same experience with Faust, The Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, and The Story of the Stone more recently.

Prez

Oh! I had to read the Lydia Davis translation. It's one of those books where just hearing people talk about the writing in the original makes me wish I could read it in the original language. I had the same experience with Faust, The Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, and The Story of the Stone more recently.

It's a shame not to be able to read those in the original language. I'm looking forward to experiencing Madame Bovary in French. I've read that Davis' translation is very faithful though.

I kind of feel the urge to learn Italian to read Calvino's works. Not gonna happen though :p

dream

Faust is an interesting one, given Goethe's assertion that he "does not like to read his Faust any more in German." I've always wondered just how aesthetically different it is in his native language.

Lumiere

Neo Member
This is also a potential future book club choice!
I would also be in for this - just bought the book last month and haven't started it yet!

I kind of feel the urge to learn Italian to read Calvino's works. Not gonna happen though :p
I've read some Calvino in Italian back in school! I am Italian though so I'm cheating :)

Also recently picked up If on a winter's night a traveler and Invisible Cities - haven't lived in Italy for a few years now, and I read pretty much in English only nowadays, so I've been wanting to read something in Italian as a refresher.

Flek

Banned
It's M. C. Escher ... used all over the place...

ah ok i see.

@murakami

i would say start out with norwegian wood or sputnik sweetheart. Both give you at least a sense for murakami (sputnik sweetheart is more typical). And then continue wherever you want. I personally LOVE the wind up bird chronicles to death.

Iam also looking forward to his new book so mouch because i really everything i read about it so far.

Just finished reading this by Phillip Meyer at the behest of a friend, and thank god. Just an amazing, amazing book.

TheSon_PhilippMeyer.jpg

Now I'm about to get started on Meyer's first novel:

tumblr_m8enhtc1oT1rxub3fo1_400.jpg

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Currently on the 16th book of Horus Heresy.
I shouldn't have done this.

lightus

Yes, yes, yes. I actually like the sequels better than the original trilogy. The prequels are good as well, but not as good as the sequels in my opinion.

I'd also recommend reading the Robot series as well if you like his stuff. It's not as good as the Foundation series but it is still solid.

Pastry

Banned
How about Pushing Ice by Reynolds?

I'll check it out, thanks!

You've probably already read em, but I always have to recommend Childhood's End and the rest of Clarke stories to people talking about sci-fi. I also mentioned Contact early in the thread which I think is pretty solid sci-fi as well. There's also A Canticle for Leibowitz, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the others I mentioned.

Roadside Picnic sounds pretty good, by the way.

I read Leibowitz like 10 years ago but I don't remember much about it now so I'm probably due for a re-read. I'v also never read Childhood's End so I'll add that to the list. Roadside picnic is indeed awesome if you haven't read it.

Krowley

Just finished reading this by Phillip Meyer at the behest of a friend, and thank god. Just an amazing, amazing book.

TheSon_PhilippMeyer.jpg

Now I'm about to get started on Meyer's first novel:

tumblr_m8enhtc1oT1rxub3fo1_400.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Did a bit of investigating and I think I might want to read something from this writer.

Top Bottom