• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2013)

kinn

Got it and sent one back, along with a couple others from here. Thanks!

I love Sagan's writing. I read Contact a couple of months ago and thought it was great, although it did feel like he had trouble leaving his non-fiction roots behind throughout the first half, and the main character was a bit too idealized for my tastes. Still, pretty good, and the ending is damn satisfying.

Is it different from the movie? I liked the movie but wasnt too sure about the ending.

Necrovex

id say sputnik sweetheart and then right into the bird chronicles

I need to finsih Sputnik Sweetheart. I got halfway through it, and then school devoured me.

And I have been wanting to read Norweign Wood, but my county doesn't have it in any of its library. That means I may have to...buy a book.

And I decided to quickly read through this book (I have to turn it back in soon, and I am on my last renewal of it) before Lolita arrives at my library:

InvincibleUltimateCollectionVol1565.jpg

Narag

How is that even possible? Got damn. I mean, in terms of the game lore that I recall, it's like one event, right? Horus betrays the Emperor and goes over to Chaos and they fight. And then we move on to modern day and our armies slaughter each other.

They're stretching it out with some simultaneously occurring novels, focusing on various Primarchs, and what not. Think the fluff had stuff with the Thousand Sons/Space Wolves that was explored as well. I'm way behind but by the time I reached the 8th book, I knew the end was so far off. :lol

TripOpt55

Glad you enjoyed it. I love the Black Company. I think Cook could have done a bit better with the world building at times (during some stretches of the books I could never quite get a good grasp of the surroundings) but it's a great series overall.

I've read the first two omnibus releases. That first one you posted and books 4, 5 and 6 which are part of "The Books of the South". It's pretty good. Basically picks up right where book 3 ends. I need to get to the third omnibus sometime, have it sitting on my shelf.

I just finished all three books in the past month or so. I thought the first was the best, as it features epic battles on a scale you won't find in the next two. The second book is really good, but the story takes a while longer to really get started. The third book is excellent, and right on par with the first one.

Great trilogy overall, and Croaker becomes such a great character. I will definitely be continuing on with the later books.

Sweet. Glad to hear the others are good (though I admit the big battle at the end of the first is one of my favorite parts). More excited to jump into the second one now though. Will definitely be looking into the other collections after this one.

Mumei

And I decided to quickly read through this book (I have to turn it back in soon, and I am on my last renewal of it) before Lolita arrives at my library:

The second compendium comes out in August! So excited... even though I've already read all but twelve issues in it!

Fxp

Some thoughts & impressions about the books I read recently.

Stephen King "11/22/63"
I enjoyed the time-travelling idea and characters but some of the scenes were too much dragged out. And then suddenly a lot is happening in 2-3 pages. Mixed feelings overall and that ending, ugh...

Michael Crichton "Pirate Latitudes"
What was that?! It was like 13 year old kid wrote that book! Primitive story-building and writing.

Michael Chabon "The Yiddish Policemen's Union" - currently reading
An opposite to Chrichton's book. Yes, it takes more time to read but I enjoy yiddish expressions, dialogues, everything. Fantastic book so far.

Necrovex

The second compendium comes out in August! So excited... even though I've already read all but twelve issues in it!

I would have never guessed that you read comics. How is Invincible? I know next to nothing about it besides Kirkman is the writer.

ShaneB

600 Hours of Edward is off to a great start already, really glad I picked this up yesterday.

edit: Just passed the 25% mark and already teary eyed, I think this will be one of my favourite books I read this year.

tmarques

I'd honestly say his best books probably aren't the best place to start. I feel as if most people would say either The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or Norwegian Wood, but The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is long and tends to drag at times, and Norwegian Wood is kind of unlike any of his other books. But if you must start with his best, I'd say Norwegian Wood is a good one. I personally started with After Dark, and while not his best book, it gives you a good feel of what his style is like and it's pretty short.

Enjoyed Wild Sheep Chase, so I bought Dance Dance Dance. It was basically the same book, but since it was a sequel I gave it a pass. Then I read Wind-Up Bird and again, seemed like the same book to me - slightly depressed guy in his 30s goes on a journey looking for a sheep/his wife/cat/girlfriend/whatever, meets smart ass teenager who chain smokes and skips a lot of school days or prostitute with a heart of gold, meets a bunch of weird and dangerous people... Ends up making big discoveries about life and/or himself. And at least one character has to be clarvoyant so Murakami can easily advance the plot/investigation when he writes himself into a corner.

Couldn't stand Norwegian Wood, but at least it was a different story. I honestly don't get why the guy is so popular.

omgkitty

Enjoyed Wild Sheep Chase, so I bought Dance Dance Dance. It was basically the same book, but since it was a sequel I gave it a pass. Then I read Wind-Up Bird and again, seemed like the same book to me - slightly depressed guy in his 30s goes on a journey looking for a sheep/his wife/cat/girlfriend/whatever, meets smart ass teenager who chain smokes and skips a lot of school days or prostitute with a heart of gold, meets a bunch of weird and dangerous people... Ends up making big discoveries about life and/or himself. And at least one character has to be clarvoyant so Murakami can easily advance the plot/investigation when he writes himself into a corner.

Couldn't stand Norwegian Wood, but at least it was a different story. I honestly don't get why the guy is so popular.

Not sure why you keep reading his books if that's the case.....

600 Hours of Edward is off to a great start already, really glad I picked this up yesterday.

edit: Just passed the 25% mark and already teary eyed, I think this will be one of my favourite books I read this year.

Saw your update on Goodreads - this looks really good. Please let me know what you think of it when you finish, I may have to add it to my list!

ultron87

They're stretching it out with some simultaneously occurring novels, focusing on various Primarchs, and what not. Think the fluff had stuff with the Thousand Sons/Space Wolves that was explored as well. I'm way behind but by the time I reached the 8th book, I knew the end was so far off. :lol

Wow. That is crazy. I read those first three books that dealt with the actual betrayal part and enjoyed it pretty well.

Always did enjoy 40k books, especially Abnett's stuff. Though I'm a few books behind on the Gaunt's Ghosts series now.

ShaneB

Saw your update on Goodreads - this looks really good. Please let me know what you think of it when you finish, I may have to add it to my list!

It's really terrific so far, and hitting me pretty heavy with emotions. I will most certainly write a goodreads review when I am finished and share that.

Someone just created a thread about this in OT, but I thought I'd mention it here too. Humble Bundle is doing an eBook Bundle with the following books:

Cory Doctorow - Little Brother
Cherie Priest - Boneshaker
Robert Charles Wilson - Spin
Lois McMaster Bujold - Shards of Honor

If you pay more than average, you get:

Peter Beagle - The Last Unicorn (Deluxe Edition)
Wil Wheaton - Just a Geek

Here's the link.

Mumei

Someone just created a thread about this in OT, but I thought I'd mention it here too. Humble Bundle is doing an eBook Bundle with the following books:

Here's the link.

Pay more than average for this. Totally worth it!

Ashes

Banned
Ah, I love these books so much. Brian Jacques is such an enjoyable storyteller. Met him at signings once or twice as well, he was a lovely man.

o.0

lucky bugger. So very very jealous of you right now.

edit: Kindle's broken, lost ipad a couple of weeks, so I'm back to good old fashioned paperbacks. I'm making my way through my bottom book shelf and some of my oldest books.

Here's the link.

Not a bad lot, aside from the Will Wheaton book.

Looks like storybundle has a new sci-fi bundle up as well.

Hopscotch by Kevin J. Anderson
In Hero Years...I'm Dead by Michael A. Stackpole
On My Way to Paradise by David Farland
Santiago by Mike Resnick
Swarm by B. V. Larson
The Disappeared by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Bonus

High-Opp by Frank Herbert
The Stars in Shroud by Gregory Benford

Best bundle they've featured so far.

Flek

Banned

izCAZUB42uBrT.jpg

Netflix is low on movies. decided to go back to using the kindle.

51AKS5ca6SL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Figure I would venture in the psychopath/sociopath related books just because

Bururian

Today, I started Steven Erikson's Garden of the Moon, the first book in 'Malazan Book of the Fallen'

I've read Wheel of Time, so I have an idea of length. Other than that, I'm going into this completely blind.

Necrovex

Why not?

And I really enjoyed it. It has fun characters, is briskly-paced, has some good plot twists, and it is deliciously violent.

I imagine people through their avatars. So, I see Johan, and Johan doesn't have time to read comics; he's too busy destroying people's lives!

And I didn't even see this thread. I'm finally going to give Gotham Central, Sandman, and Bones all a read (after Lolita and World War Z).

Lumiere

Neo Member
Currently reading Speaker For The Dead and The Dying Earth. Both solid so far.
I really liked Speaker for the Dead! Been wanting to read The Dying Earth for a while now, I even picked up the omnibus a few months ago and I'm actually not sure of why I haven't started it yet....

I've seen that Amazon was comparing it to Flowers for Algernon, have you ever read that? I remember finishing reading it at work and having a hard time keeping back tears while in the office D:

Here's the link.

That looks really good :O Several books in there I've been wanting to read, going to pick it up for more than average cause I want The Last Unicorn. :]

Jag

Today, I started Steven Erikson's Garden of the Moon, the first book in 'Malazan Book of the Fallen'

I've read Wheel of Time, so I have an idea of length. Other than that, I'm going into this completely blind.

It's not the length that gets you, it's the sheer depth of the world that you get immediately plunged into like an icy lake. It took me several restarts before it finally clicked, but then I read the series straight through and loved it. Don't get discouraged if you need to put it down. It will be waiting for you...

Falch

Sure, why not, as long as they ain't written by someone else (Second Foundation Trilogy or some such, basically fanfiction...)
They aren't bad, though they're a bit different.
The sequels are better than prequels though, i think.

Yes, yes, yes. I actually like the sequels better than the original trilogy. The prequels are good as well, but not as good as the sequels in my opinion.

I'd also recommend reading the Robot series as well if you like his stuff. It's not as good as the Foundation series but it is still solid.

Thanks, gonna check out the other books in the series too, then.

Also, gotta get Caliban's War sometime soon. Really liked Leviathan Wakes.

Mumei

Funny enough I am watching the Last Unicorn for the first time ever (I had to pause it for my kid can go twosie). Is the book supposed to be good?

Yes. It's fantastic. I love the opening:

The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.

She did not look anything like a horned horse, as unicorns are often pictured, being smaller and cloven-hoofed, and possessing that oldest, wildest grace that horses have never had, that deer have only in shy, thin imitation and goats in dancing mockery. Her neck was long and slender, making her head seem smaller than it was, and the mane that fell almost to the middle of her back was soft as dandelion fluff and fine as cirrus. She had pointed ears and thin legs, with feathers of white hair at the ankles; and the long horn above her eyes shone and shivered with its own seashell light even in the deepest midnight. She had killed dragons with it, and healed a king whose poisoned wound would not close, and knocked down ripe chestnuts for bear cubs.

The screenplay for the movie is written by the author, and it gets the essential plot points, but what really makes the book so fairy-tale-magical is the way it is written... and the movie can't capture that.

Top Bottom