• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2013)

Anyone in here read Ada or Ardor? I've only gone through the 6 first chapters and I'm having to take it slow as it can be real confusing, sentences just keeps on forever and with parentheses adding often not very important info. But it's also its charm and by the time I was done with chapter 3 I was already sure that I would love the book, when he was done explaining a woman's schizophrenia :

She developed a morbid sensitivity to the language of tap water—which echoes sometimes (much as the bloodstream does predormitarily) a fragment of human speech lingering in one’s ears while one washes one’s hands after cocktails with strangers.

Upon first noticing this immediate, sustained, and in her case rather eager and mocking but really quite harmless replay of this or that recent discourse, she felt tickled at the thought that she, poor Aqua, had accidentally hit upon such a simple method of recording and transmitting speech, while technologists (the so-called Eggheads) all over the world were trying to make publicly utile and commercially rewarding the extremely elaborate and still very expensive hydrodynamic telephones and other miserable gadgets that were to replace those that had gone k chertyam sobach’im (Russian “to the devil”) with the banning of an unmentionable “lammer.”

Soon, however, the rhythmically perfect, but verbally rather blurred volubility of faucets began to acquire too much pertinent sense. The purity of the running water’s enunciation grew in proportion to the nuisance it made of itself. It spoke soon after she had listened, or been exposed, to somebody talking—not necessarily to her—forcibly and expressively, a person with a rapid characteristic voice, and very individual or very foreign phrasal intonations, some compulsive narrator’s patter at a horrible party, or a liquid soliloquy in a tedious play, or Van’s lovely voice, or a bit of poetry heard at a lecture, my lad, my pretty, my love, take pity, but especially the more fluid and flou Italian verse, for instance that ditty recited between knee-knocking and palpebra-lifting, by a half-Russian, half-dotty old doctor, doc, toe, ditty, dotty, ballatetta, deboletta … tu, voce sbigottita … spigotty e diavoletta … de lo cor dolente … con ballatetta va … va … della strutta, destruttamente … mente … mente … stop that record, or the guide will go on demonstrating as he did this very morning in Florence a silly pillar commemorating, he said, the “elmo” that broke into leaf when they carried stone-heavy-dead St. Zeus by it through the gradual, gradual shade; or the Arlington harridan talking incessantly to her silent husband as the vineyards sped by, and even in the tunnel (they can’t do this to you, you tell them, Jack Black, you just tell them …).

Bathwater (or shower) was too much of a Caliban to speak distinctly—or perhaps was too brutally anxious to emit the hot torrent and get rid of the infernal ardor to bother about small talk; but the burbly flowlets grew more and more ambitious and odious, and when at her first “home” she heard one of the most hateful of the visiting doctors (the Cavalcanti quoter) garrulously pour hateful instructions in Russian-lapped German into her hateful bidet, she decided to stop turning on tap water altogether.

So good and I expect it to keep it up all the way through.

thomaser

Finished "Anya's Ghost" by Vera Brosgol. A very nice graphical novel about a teenage girl who doesn't quite fit in. She accidentally meets and befriends a ghost, which leads to unexpected results. Lovely art and a nice story that's both funny, creepy and thought-provoking.

51R5yOkAaLL.jpg

Started "2666" by Roberto Bolaño today. Now this might take a while. Lots of characters are introduced right away, and the language is fairly complicated. The book has awards up the wazoo, so I'm really looking forward to digging into it! I have a nice box-set where the text is divided into three books.

Necrovex

The Harry Potter series. I haven't read them before, so I might as well see what the fuss is about.

Half the people I know love Harry Potter where the other half think it is garbage (I'm on this side). The first few books are enjoyable for what they are, but Rowling tries to handle more than she can handle. I hated Harry so god damn much in those novels.

Woorloog

Banned
9cpHfi0.jpg

Reading this, book one of Belgariad: Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings.

It is the standard fantasy, with fairly standard medieval European fantasy world, with heavily stereotyped races (all humans apparently), Hero's Journey.
I read it and i'm like "I wonder if this or the Wheel of Time was written first (this actually, though of course the underlying story is much older), i swear they're almost 100% identical..."

Not sure what to think. On one hand, i've seen some praise for it, commended for having good characters/dialogue/or some such despite being very standard so i want to read it to see if that is true. On the other hand, Garion manages to be very annoying at times, as do some others (Pol), and it is very standard, to the fault even; also it is only part one, it seems the story ramps up later on, not too keen on these things.

One problem i have is that i criticize it (in my mind) for having such standard world... yet when i look at my own (mostly RPG but work as well for writing, in theory) worldbuilding notes, my world are not that different (merely adjusting some things to suit my own preferences more, hybridizing some popular fantasy worlds), so i'm not sure i can really criticize something for doing the exactly same thing. Besides, it isn't really a flaw in itself...

----------------

Kind of have given up on scifi literature, outside some books that (may) match my... requirements, that i really want to read but can't find anywhere (online for reasonable price (like, under 20€ per paperback... apparently something that got only one print run), or any bookstores here).
I want heavy dose of realistic scifi world, space combat and space ships in general, combined with space operaic world and some other stuff. Some things are close, but not quite (like Alastair Reynolds works, which are way too depressing and dystopic), and that means "not close enough".
So i figure i have to write my own. Someday.

Fantasy on the other hand... well, i picked up Belgariad.
But i need more, any recommendations? EDIT Specifics? Mature (not sure how to define this really though), interesting, absolutely no mary sues (perhaps meaning "no "unrealistic" or too "perfect" characters), otherwise pretty much anything can go.
Favorites include: A Song of Ice and Fire, nearly everything by Brandon Sanderson (except those i haven't read, and Elantris which i just don't really like), and EDIT the Wheel of Time, of course.
Others i've read:
-Name of the Wind (kind of meh, mary sueish protagonist is really off-putting though the magic system is golden)
-Harry Potters (all right but no more things like it, unless much more mature (and internally consistent))
-The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Silmarillion (classics, not saying more)
-The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (or some such, really meh)
-Various Dragonlance books (RPG campaigns don't necessarily make great books, meh)
-Death Gate series (pretty good)
-Earthsea trilogy (kind of unique but didn't really like it overall)
-The First Law trilogy (good and not good, hard to say what's wrong specifically but i doubt i'll be reading the sequels).
-Warcraft novels (range from pretty bad to decent).
-The Dark Elf trilogy (was pretty interesting when i read it, definitely will get a re-read at some point)
-Tried to read the Black Company series but never got past 200 or so pages.
-Conan the Barbarian series sits on my shelf but haven't managed to read it.
-Farseer trilogy (pretty good? Wasn't one that would make me read the sequel series, but perhaps i will later on)
Might be something else as well but can't think of what.

---

Well that ended up being a long post.

Piecake

9cpHfi0.jpg

Reading this, book one of Belgariad: Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings.

It is the standard fantasy, with fairly standard medieval European fantasy world, with heavily stereotyped races (all humans apparently), Hero's Journey.
I read it and i'm like "I wonder if this or the Wheel of Time was written first (this actually, though of course the underlying story is much older), i swear they're almost 100% identical..."

Not sure what to think. On one hand, i've seen some praise for it, commended for having good characters/dialogue/or some such despite being very standard so i want to read it to see if that is true. On the other hand, Garion manages to be very annoying at times, as do some others (Pol), and it is very standard, to the fault even; also it is only part one, it seems the story ramps up later on, not too keen on these things.

One problem i have is that i criticize it (in my mind) for having such standard world... yet when i look at my own (mostly RPG but work as well for writing, in theory) worldbuilding notes, my world are not that different (merely adjusting some things to suit my own preferences more, hybridizing some popular fantasy worlds), so i'm not sure i can really criticize something for doing the exactly same thing. Besides, it isn't really a flaw in itself...

----------------

Kind of have given up on scifi literature, outside some books that (may) match my... requirements, that i really want to read but can't find anywhere (online for reasonable price (like, under 20€ per paperback... apparently something that got only one print run), or any bookstores here).
I want heavy dose of realistic scifi world, space combat and space ships in general, combined with space operaic world and some other stuff. Some things are close, but not quite (like Alastair Reynolds works, which are way too depressing and dystopic), and that means "not close enough".
So i figure i have to write my own. Someday.

But i need more, any recommendations? EDIT Specifics? Mature (not sure how to define this really though), interesting, absolutely no mary sues (perhaps meaning "no "unrealistic" or too "perfect" characters), otherwise pretty much anything can go.
Favorites include: A Song of Ice and Fire, nearly everything by Brandon Sanderson (except those i haven't read, and Elantris which i just don't really like), and EDIT the Wheel of Time, of course.
Others i've read:
-Name of the Wind (kind of meh, mary sueish protagonist is really off-putting though the magic system is golden)
-Harry Potters (all right but no more things like it, unless much more mature (and internally consistent))
-Various Dragonlance books (RPG campaigns don't necessarily make great books, meh)
-The First Law trilogy (good and not good, hard to say what's wrong specifically but i doubt i'll be reading the sequels).
-The Dark Elf trilogy (was pretty interesting when i read it, definitely will get a re-read at some point)

---

The Long Price Quartet

It starts off slow, but the characters are awesome and the world/magic system is really interesting

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
kXJQDw5.jpg

There really should be a Yiddish dictionary included with every copy because half the time I don't even know what the fuck I'm reading. Good book tho.

KidDork

Half the people I know love Harry Potter where the other half think it is garbage (I'm on this side). The first few books are enjoyable for what they are, but Rowling tries to handle more than she can handle. I hated Harry so god damn much in those novels.

I thought we were supposed to hate him in the last few novels. Guy was a complete prick.

Mumei

Started reading Kokoro today while I wait for The Scar to arrive.
iFkCRkmH3QGCq.jpg

Are you enjoying it? I loved Kokoro. It was my first Japanese novel, and it was my favorite novel for some time.

Some suggestions:

• The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne M Valente
  • The Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe
  • The Last Unicorn, by Peter S Beagle
  • His Dark Materials, by Phillip Pullman
  • City of Saints and Madmen, by Jeff VanderMeer
  • Latro in the Mist, by Gene Wolfe
  • The Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay

The last is honestly completely overrated but if you're looking for something that is all archetypes and melodrama and prophecy with bits chunks of Arthurian mythos, it can be fun. The rest are fantastic.

mu cephei

15946150.jpg

I finished The Yellow Birds. It was really good, although the language was rather more poetic than in the kind of books I normally read these days. I had to read a lot of parts several times and was still thinking 'yes, but what is he getting at? That doesn't make actual sense'. I don't know if it was just me being thick, or if he was primarily going for some kind of impressionistic effect. I mean, it worked, although the book didn't have the impact on me I thought it might.

In any case it made me realise I need to read books written in different ways or I'll lose being able to read them at all. I was always planning on reading Lolita for the book club and it seems it's a pretty good time for it.

I also started 'Don't Bet on the Prince', a book of modern feminist fairy tales. The introduction was interesting but all over the shop, and the stuff on Oedipal stages, narcissism, Sisterhood and nurturing wasn't for me. Or possibly I just can't be arsed with academic thinking any more. Anyway the stories so far are fun.

Piecake

The last is honestly completely overrated but if you're looking for something that is all archetypes and melodrama and prophecy with bits chunks of Arthurian mythos, it can be fun. The rest are fantastic.

Yea, i did not like the Tapestry book either. It felt very formulaic to me, which surprised me since I heard such good things about it

This is the second time ive seen City of Saints and Madmen recommended. I am definitely going to have to check that out because I havent read a book with a more magical realist bent in a while. If Ive read a book with fantasy elements in it recently, well, its been straight up fantasy

Mumei

Yea, i did not like the Tapestry book either. It felt very formulaic to me, which surprised me since I heard such good things about it

This is the second time ive seen City of Saints and Madmen recommended. I am definitely going to have to check that out because I havent read a book with a more magical realist bent in a while. If Ive read a book with fantasy elements in it recently, well, its been straight up fantasy

I would describe it less as magical realist and more as a new weird collection of short stories set in the fictional city of Ambergris. The stories are an interesting mix, from a murder mystery of sorts to a history of the city (with footnotes!) to a story of obsession to some weird-but-entertaining metafictional stuff. There are recurring characters and connections between the plots, as well so each story isn't completely discrete and what you learn in one story is may matter for a future story. I really enjoyed it and haven't read anything else like it.

I also heard that subsequent books explore the city in more depth. I haven't read them yet but they're on my To Do list.

mu cephei

I loved it when I read it as a teenager. Though that's probably why I loved it.

Others i've read:
-Farseer trilogy (pretty good? Wasn't one that would make me read the sequel series, but perhaps i will later on)

---

Based on your list it looks like you prefer fairly traditional epic fantasy. I don't see Malazan there, which is the other big one, though if you gave up on Black Company you might not like it. If you like Wheel of Time you might not object to Terry Brooks. He's done some epic fantasies. There's also the Magician series by Raymond E. Feist, though his work really goes downhill later. The Acacia Trilogy by David Anthony Durham is moderately epic and pretty good, though I haven't read the last book (I don't think it was ever released in the UK). There's also the Prince of Nothing series which is supposedly doing something clever with the genre but I stalled on that one. The big one out now is the series by Peter V. Brett. It might be exactly what you're looking for - totally compulsive reading - but there are downsides - one of the main characters is a complete mary sue imo and also it has some really dodgy rape and race stuff, so I stopped reading the series after the second book on principle. But most people don't think it's a problem, and other than that they're really good. Other books I haven't read but are going down well atm are: Prince of Thorns series, Dragon's Path series, both pretty epic from what I understand. But really good epic fantasy is hard to find
and half the stuff I suggested doesn't qualify.

I don't remember ever liking Harry much, but I liked pretty much everything else.

Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns and if you end up liking them the finale comes out in August.

ShaneB

I finished "Edward Adrift" last night, and shared my review on goodreads. Another 5/5 from me. Really wonderful books, and I'm in love with the characters.

Not to decide what to read next, I'm thinking Flowers for Algernon.

FYI - The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is $1.99 for Kindle right now.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany by William L. Shirer

Not to decide what to read next, I'm thinking Flowers for Algernon.

Probably the first book to ever get me to tear up .. which is not something you want to have happen when you're in a middle school English class. Great book.

This has me wondering - what is everyone's favorite books they were forced to read for school? For me, it would be Flowers for Algernon and The Bridge to Tarabithia (middle), annotated versions of the Odyssey and The Illiad (high), and Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Color Purple (college).

Mumei

I really liked The Giver when I was in middle school, but I don't remember being forced to read 'great literature' as a kid, besides The Great Gatsby or Shakespeare which I either disliked or was ambivalent towards.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Can you guys recommend me a great summertime novel? Think Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises, I guess; something that's perfect to read outside on a hot summer day with cool drink in hand.

Fjordson

My favourite books that I had to read for school were probably East of Eden or The Stranger. First books in school that I remember truly loving.

ShaneB

Probably the first book to ever get me to tear up .. which is not something you want to have happen when you're in a middle school English class. Great book.

This has me wondering - what is everyone's favorite books they were forced to read for school? For me, it would be Flowers for Algernon and The Bridge to Tarabithia (middle), annotated versions of the Odyssey and The Illiad (high), and Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Color Purple (college).

I started it last night, and I think I will really like it.

As for your question, I'm not really sure what to go with, I don't remember much of my school literature, I guess To Kill a Mockingbird really stands out, so maybe that.

omgkitty

Some of my favorite books that I was forced to read, and actually read, include The Catcher in the Rye, The Giver and Demian. If no one here has read any Herman Hesse, I highly recommend it.

survivor

Banned

The Hobbit. Bless my grade 9 English teacher for making us read it. I was so engrossed by it, I finished it in one weekend weeks ahead of the reading schedule.

Fireblend

Banned
My favorite books in school (we're talking about Costa Rica here) were The Little Prince and a compilation of short stories by Jorge Luis Borges. La Muerte y la Brújula (The Death and the Compass) remains my favorite short story to this day.

We also read Don Quixote, but although I did like it, I probably wasn't ready to fully appreciate it then and it was only after rereading it a few years later it became a favorite as well.

Woorloog

Banned
I'll check the recommendations you've made (thanks for them).
One thing that occurred to me about what i really like, it is not actually the setting as much as immersive writing (EDIT long descriptions of (unnecessary) stuff are common to LOTR, WoT and ASOAIF...). Not sure what makes Sanderson's works so appealing though, perhaps his "cinematic" style?

survivor

Banned
Are you enjoying it? I loved Kokoro. It was my first Japanese novel, and it was my favorite novel for some time.
I wanted to reply to this when I finished reading the book, but that's gonna take me a bit longer than I anticipated. I'm about 170 pages into it and I'm really enjoying it. The writing is concise and I'm liking the characters relations.

One little amusing thing to me is seeing McClellan leaving in words like Okusan or Ojosan untranslated. I always figured that when I moved from the anime/manga scene to the more mainstream translation works, the process would be more localized and there won't be any translator's footnotes. Of course for this book, it does make sense seeing how there is a pattern of not giving any actual names to the characters. So I figured using Okusan or Ojosan would be more handier than the English equivalent.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Finished off Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky this afternoon, and wow, what an amazing story. It really takes you for an emotional ride, and even though it can be pretty dreary, it still gives you hope.

Now off to the outer reaches with Raiders from the Rings by Alan E. Nourse. I went to a used book sale and outside they had the "Free" book boxes. Well inside were tons of old paperback sci-fi and fantasy books, this being one of them. So I grabbed my recycling bag and filled it up with as many as I could. Anybody else get lucky and find some treasure at used book sales?

17289456.jpg

Quake1028

I haven't finished a novel since January. That's unheard of for me, but I've had other things taking up my free time. Going to start this tonight and see if it can hold my interest:

51hYQxXiw1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Also have some samples to get through: Promise of Blood, Football Manager Stole My Life and The Lost Symbol.

TTG

So, I'm going to the bookstore within the next hour and I don't know what to buy... I have a relatively small gap of time before something else arrives, anyone read The Big Sleep? If so, did you like it?

So, I'm going to the bookstore within the next hour and I don't know what to buy... I have a relatively small gap of time before something else arrives, anyone read The Big Sleep? If so, did you like it?

I'm halfway through reading it for the first time. I'm enjoying it.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, now that I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane and as predicted got my reading mood back, I've resumed 1Q84, which I'd abandoned last year after reading only a couple of chapters.

Now I'm like 1/4th in and it keeps getting weirder and weirder.

TTG

I'm halfway through reading it for the first time. I'm enjoying it.

I'm sorry, I wish you went into a little more detail than that. Maybe next time!

I got this instead:

I figure he wrote No Country for Old Men, which turned out to be one of my favorite movies of all time. I gotta give it a chance.

This brings up the tally to American Gods, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and Blood Meridian so far.

I wholeheartedly recommend Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by the way. It's just delightful and funny. It's the type of book you can read 20 pages at a time and it just brightens up your day.

Just finished The Last Unicorn (★★★★★).
/sogood.gif

Complete classic, incredibly well written, and just a wonderfully self-aware fairytale. Great characters, fun dialogue, and it all ends perfectly. Highly recommended.

FYI - The Thin Red Line is an Amazon kindle daily deal today.

I'm way too late now but I really enjoyed it. Also liked Farewell, My Lovely.

Top Bottom