• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mannequin

Yeah, I have that, and enjoyed it. McCartney recently said that it's filled with stuff that just isn't true, so I guess it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you're interested in music books and like punk at all, Jon Savage's England's Dreaming is a superb book about that era. One of my favorite music books.

That's interesting, did he have problems with the technical details of recording the songs?

I haven't read England's Dreaming, no, but I do like U.K. punk, though I'm more fond of The Damned and Wire from that era than the Pistols.

Also, since we're talking about music books, have you read Our Band Could Be Your Life? It's about bands in the 80's American punk/alternative bands like Black Flag, Husker Du, The Replacements. Really great.

Shift by Hugh Howey

I posted about this a month or so ago after I read it, but now that it's out for the general public, did anyone end up picking up:

California by Edan Lepucki
I want to hear what you guys think of my friend's book! Does it live up to GAF standards?

I really want to read this. I've been trying to get a copy for a magazine article thing I'm writing about apocalyptic fiction (my first novel was, sort of, and I'm writing another take on it soonish) but it's not out here in the UK yet. Grumble.

I'm still reading THE BONE CLOCKS. It's still brilliant.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FInished Golem and Jinni. Very strong start with the immigrant experience, weak-ish ending that resolved all the plotlines just a tad too neatly for my tastes. Now I'm reading:
51JL6q0Y4eL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

tumblr_maarbggf7I1rq76f4o2_500.gif

Shiv47

That's interesting, did he have problems with the technical details of recording the songs?

I haven't read England's Dreaming, no, but I do like U.K. punk, though I'm more fond of The Damned and Wire from that era than the Pistols.

Also, since we're talking about music books, have you read Our Band Could Be Your Life? It's about bands in the 80's American punk/alternative bands like Black Flag, Husker Du, The Replacements. Really great.

No, it was more motivations behind songs, here's the quote (from a Rolling Stone interview a couple weeks ago):

To get back to my original point, that's the kind of thing that happens in films, but these books that are written about the meaning of songs, like Revolution in the Head – I read through that. It's a kind of toilet book, a good book to just dip into. And I'll come across, "McCartney wrote that in answer to Lennon's acerbic this," and I go, "Well, that's not true." But it's going down as history. That is already known as a very highly respected tome, and I say, "Yeah, well, okay." This is a fact of my life. These facts are going down as some sort of musical history about the Beatles. There are millions of them, and I know for a fact that a lot of them are incorrect.

Haven't read Our Band Could Be Your Life, though I've heard good things about it. I'll have to add it to my list.

I really want to read this. I've been trying to get a copy for a magazine article thing I'm writing about apocalyptic fiction (my first novel was, sort of, and I'm writing another take on it soonish) but it's not out here in the UK yet. Grumble.

I'm still reading THE BONE CLOCKS. It's still brilliant.

Oh the irony. I want to read Bone Clocks but it isn't available in the US yet!

I was gonna say I've been waiting to get it on Kindle but Amazon doesn't have it, but I just checked and its available now. $7.99 too .. not too shabby. Purchasing now.

Speaking of Kindle prices, is there an amount above which you all won't go? Pretty much every Hachette book I have on my wish list (McLellan, Bach, Corey) is $10 and up, and it pisses me off. Shouldn't digital books be in the $8 (max) range?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Speaking of Kindle prices, is there an amount above which you all won't go? Pretty much every Hachette book I have on my wish list (McLellan, Bach, Corey) is $10 and up, and it pisses me off. Shouldn't digital books be in the $8 (max) range?

Not if you believe that authors should be able to make a living off of their work.

Mumei

Not if you believe that authors should be able to make a living off of their work.

Precisely why I'l never end up going digital. If I'm going to pay above, like $5, I want a physical book that I own and is on a bookshelf. And this would be unfair to the author to set the prices that low so here we are.

I guess as someone who is writing as a secondary form of income, I can understand the sentiment.

However, I think they're leaving money on the table. It's way more likely I'll pick up a book that has great reviews for $6 than pay $10 for one.

I suspect we'll see that $4 - $10+ war be waged for a while. The market will decide where the price ultimately settles.

And it really only pisses me off because paying $10+ for it annoys me, and some of those books I really want to read.

Althane

How much do authors make from the Kindle versions? I've been buying them a lot lately because I'm running out of room in my apartment (okay, I've long since run out of room in my apartment, but I'm stacking the books!).

If they make that much less from the e-book versions, I may rethink that though.

Edit: Woah, the author of Ahvarra is on GAF? Awesome. I've just started your book, man. It's a bit of a rough start for me, but it got its hooks in me and now I'm devouring it in my (not ample) free time.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
How much do authors make from the Kindle versions? I've been buying them a lot lately because I'm running out of room in my apartment (okay, I've long since run out of room in my apartment, but I'm stacking the books!).

If they make that much less from the e-book versions, I may rethink that though.

Depends on whether the Kindle version is self-published (70% of the price goes to the author) or published through a traditional publisher (much smaller percentage to the author.) This is why self-pubbed authors can sell their books for $3-4 per copy and make more per copy than traditionally published authors (about the same percentage as a paperback, I believe. Less than a dollar off the sale of their book, but probably sell in higher volume.) People like Hugh Howey make millions because they manage to combine the high-percentage of self-published eBook sales with the volume afforded my traditional publishing.

This is a great (if a little old) and candid look at eBook sales: http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2011/04/01/a-year-of-selling-tides-from-the-new-worlds/

EDIT: This is a look at the case of one author, Michael J. Sullivan, who sold print rights to a traditional publisher, but kept eBook rights. Lots of data about the difference in royalties through eBook and print: http://aidanmoher.com/blog/featured-article/2014/04/unconventional-publishing-by-michael-j-sullivan/ (Disclaimer: I published this article on my blog.)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any good paranormal/weird sci-fi fiction you guys can recommend? I've been on an X-Files kick lately and would love to read something along those lines...

Althane

Any good paranormal/weird sci-fi fiction you guys can recommend? I've been on an X-Files kick lately and would love to read something along those lines...

Repairman Jack is pretty good. Starts off with hints of it, usually ends up with full-blown weirdness by the end of the book.

What have you liked?

Althane

I've not found anything like it ever - I was hoping someone could lead me that direction!

Well, the Repairman Jack novels are urban-fantasy-esque. Main character is basically just a badass normal who goes around helping people (For cash, he's a "Repairman"), ends up fighting demons and stuff.

I guess it ends up being what you're looking for. I'm thinking mostly urban fantasy with a mystery vibe around it.

B.C. Larson's Unspeakable Things series is urban fantasy mystery again. I'm not really getting the vibe if that's what you're looking for or not. If it's a little too fantasy/out there, I may not be the best person to answer your question, but I hope the books I mentioned interest you. I like them a lot, at least.

Krowley

I've not found anything like it ever - I was hoping someone could lead me that direction!

Dean Koontz is an author who writes stuff that you might see in an episode of X-Files. Phantoms, and Watchers are a couple of real good ones from him.

Also, some of the books in the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are very much along those lines. I've read a few books in the series. The third one, Cabinet of Curiosities, is one of my favorite books ever, but some of the others have been less enjoyable. I've yet to read the first two books but they're supposed to be great. The ones I've read are all pretty self contained, so you don't necessarily have to read them in order.

F. Paul Wilson (repairman Jack and a lot of other pretty cool stuff) is a pretty good choice as well, but he's definitely in the traditional "weird fiction" mold of Lovecraft, Clark Aston Smith, Arthur Machen and etc.. Basically, it is the sort of fiction with sci-fi elements, mixed liberally with horror and fantasy. It is more supernatural than anything you would typically see on x-files.

Althane

Dean Koontz is an author who writes stuff that you might see in an episode of X-Files. Phantoms, and Watchers are a couple of real good ones from him.

Also, some of the books in the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are very much along those lines. I've read a few books in the series. The third one, Cabinet of Curiosities, is one of my favorite books ever, but some of the others have been less enjoyable. I've yet to read the first two books but they're supposed to be great. The ones I've read are all pretty self contained, so you don't necessarily have to read them in order.

F. Paul Wilson (repairman Jack and a lot of other pretty cool stuff) is a pretty good choice as well, but he's definitely in the traditional "weird fiction" mold of Lovecraft, Clark Aston Smith, Arthur Machen and etc.. Basically, it is the sort of fiction with sci-fi elements, mixed liberally with horror and fantasy. It is more supernatural than anything you would typically see on x-files.

Oh, that you mentioned Dean Koontz. I agree on that. Took me a bit to dredge up some thoughts, but Steven King also writes really good novels like that. It, The Tommyknockers, Needful Things are all pretty good as well.

Edit: Woah, the author of Ahvarra is on GAF? Awesome. I've just started your book, man. It's a bit of a rough start for me, but it got its hooks in me and now I'm devouring it in my (not ample) free time.
Glad you're enjoying it! PM me the things that caused the rough start if you have the time. Getting the beginning of a story right is always tough, and Ahvarra went through a couple of changes in chapter 1 during its editing phase.

TheXbox

About 3/4 through The Mote In God's Eye.

This book is fucking slow for about 200 pages. There's some cool world building, a lot of expository science stuff, whatever. It's intriguing, but not particularly compelling. Then, like, I don't know, the authors just drop a fucking bomb about halfway through and the book goes nuts. It's been nonstop action and tension ever since then. So far, it lives up to the hype.

My only complaint, besides the fact that about a hundred pages should have been cut from the first half, is the fucking Sally character. Everything she does is simultaneously incorrect and obnoxious. She's an inexperienced, selfish, naive, and racist character who is oblivious to all of these flaws, and it appears that every other character is just as oblivious as she is. She's also an anthropologist. The authors spend way too much time emphasizing that she's a female defying the expectations of women in society while they themselves are actually failing to subvert those tropes that plague female characters in this era of science fiction. She attempts to not become, in her words, a trophy wife for some navy guy or a politician, but for the purposes of the story that's exactly what she is. Her incompetence advances the plot, and the only thing that defines her character besides being terrible at her job is the fact that she's a female.

/rant. Good book, would recommend.

And it really only pisses me off because paying $10+ for it annoys me, and some of those books I really want to read.

Library, yo! OverDrive is incredible, especially if you are willing to be a bit patient. 100% compatible with the Kindle, easy three week long rentals, and instant delivery once they're available. I check out both ebooks and audiobooks.

For a brand new book like Half a King, I'm #2 in line, which means I won't get my hands on it for three weeks. If I'm not patient enough for that to work, I buy the book. Considering my backlog, it's not a big deal finding other stuff to read in the interim.

Library, yo! OverDrive is incredible, especially if you are willing to be a bit patient. 100% compatible with the Kindle, easy three week long rentals, and instant delivery once they're available. I check out both ebooks and audiobooks.

For a brand new book like Half a King, I'm #2 in line, which means I won't get my hands on it for three weeks. If I'm not patient enough for that to work, I buy the book. Considering my backlog, it's not a big deal finding other stuff to read in the interim.
I did not know this was a thing. Thanks!

Pau

Awkward moment when a coworker lends you a book and it sounds exactly like the kind of stuff you hate to read. :/ 55-year-old virgin professor falls in love with young manic pixie dream girl. -_-;

Oh, and Lois McMaster Bujold's The Curse of Chalion finally got here! Finishing up Kalpa Imperial.

Awkward moment when a coworker lends you a book and it sounds exactly like the kind of stuff you hate to read. :/ 55-year-old virgin professor falls in love with young manic pixie dream girl. -_-;

Assuming he's a 55-year-old virgin...he might be dropping a not so subtle hint!

Pau

Assuming he's a 55-year-old virgin...he might be dropping a not so subtle hint!
Haha, oh no. :p She's around my age, I think. I don't think she meets many people who read, so she's very eager for me to read some of her favorites. But I've got a long to-read list!

*High five*

And besada just started reading Bujold as well. You guys are making me happy. :)
:D

It seems that people like her Vorkosigan Saga best, but I was really in the mood for fantasy stuff. I'm excited though! Better not disappoint! I really want to find a new author and just plow through their body of work.
That sounds kind of dirty. :(

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I was bitten on the spur of the moment to actually and finally give "The Count of Monte Cristo" a whack. So far I'm only partially through chapter two but am finding it well written!

Caderousse, the Dantes' neighbor, is giving me SERIOUS douche chills.

I won't go above £10, because then I can buy the hardback. But then, as an author, it's tricky. So royalties-wise, I get 25% on ebooks, and between 10 and 15% on physical. A £4 ebook nets more than a £6 physical paper book. Sometimes I double-dip, but increasingly I'm not using my kindle. I love a physical book, you know? (Incidentally, my publisher is trialling a system here in the UK with a bookshop chain to give digital copies away with hardbacks. That's a thing that really needs to be the industry standard now.)

Mumei

I am reading The Shadow Rising. I have so many complaints, but I still enjoy it.

Oh, and Lois McMaster Bujold's The Curse of Chalion finally got here! Finishing up Kalpa Imperial.

If you worked with me, you'd probably get better loans.
/victimblaming

Shark Gun

Neo Member
Which Chuck Palahniuk book would you recommend? I haven't read anything from him but greatly enjoyed the movie version of Fight Club. Should I start with that one or something more recent?

Celegus

I am reading The Shadow Rising. I have so many complaints, but I still enjoy it.

I'm actually trudging my way through that as well. I thought the first two books were just okay, and then ended up really liking the third and now the fourth is just falling flat again.

I busted through Half a King (Joe Abercrombie) in a few days just now, quite enjoyed it. I still like the First Law trilogy best of his books, but I'll read anything he writes.

Which Chuck Palahniuk book would you recommend? I haven't read anything from him but greatly enjoyed the movie version of Fight Club. Should I start with that one or something more recent?

I think it's generally accepted that Fight Club is one of those very rare instances where the movie is actually better than the book. Having said that, it's my favorite movie and I've not bothered to read the book.

I read Survivor and Choke - liked the first, but not the last. Some people are fans of his work from Choke on. Some see it as too over-the-top.

Mumei

I'm actually trudging my way through that as well. I thought the first two books were just okay, and then ended up really liking the third and now the fourth is just falling flat again.

I busted through Half a King (Joe Abercrombie) in a few days just now, quite enjoyed it. I still like the First Law trilogy best of his books, but I'll read anything he writes.

Haha. It might not be for you, then. I've liked each book (slightly) more than the last so far.

I think it's generally accepted that Fight Club is one of those very rare instances where the movie is actually better than the book. Having said that, it's my favorite movie and I've not bothered to read the book.

I read Survivor and Choke - liked the first, but not the last. Some people are fans of his work from Choke on. Some see it as too over-the-top.

Fight Club is his best novel, I think. Those other two are both okay, in that order. Honestly, I don't think he's much of a writer these days. Everything is rehashing old ideas, and stylistically he hasn't moved on (beyond his increasing need for a better editor).

Shark Gun

Neo Member
Fight Club is his best novel, I think. Those other two are both okay, in that order. Honestly, I don't think he's much of a writer these days. Everything is rehashing old ideas, and stylistically he hasn't moved on (beyond his increasing need for a better editor).

Could you then recommend something similar like Fight Club? I've been in a rut lately and can't find any book I like and stop reading them after 100 pages or so.

KmA

I'm powering through Batman: Killing Joke and Watchmen. I have Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Last Unicorn waiting on the back burner. Started those a couple months back and I finally want to get through with them.

Could you then recommend something similar like Fight Club? I've been in a rut lately and can't find any book I like and stop reading them after 100 pages or so.

I've read all of Palahniuk's stuff. I'm at the point where I will read all his novels even though I find myself liking every other one of his books.

Survivor is his best, probably. Invisible Monsters (and the Remix novel), Choke, and Lullaby are pretty good too. I enjoyed Diary, but I think it was the first book he started losing fans. Haunted is a horror collection, so it's hit and miss. Rant was a step up from his previous 2 efforts, it made me get back into him. Snuff is probably his worst book, nothing really grabbed me. Pygmy was much better. Tell-All was forgettable. Damned was pretty good. Doomed was decent, an okay sequel to Damned.

I really think you would like Survivor if you like Fight Club. Choke is sort of like Fight Club but with sex instead of violence. If you are still into Palahniuk after those, you might want to continue. His stuff is all pretty short.

Mannequin

No, it was more motivations behind songs, here's the quote (from a Rolling Stone interview a couple weeks ago):

Haven't read Our Band Could Be Your Life, though I've heard good things about it. I'll have to add it to my list.

Thanks for the quote, I didn't know. I haven't read the book in years, but like you said I'll take it with a pinch of salt from now on.

Dresden

like many other people the first time I heard about Kingsnorth's The Wake was when it was longlisted for the Ameribooker. This is what it looks like:

Just curious to see how it holds up, whether the 'shadow tongue' works or just turns out to be a gimmick, gibberish for novelty's sake.

Re-read some Historie - the end of volume two remains as affecting as ever - and read like ten percent of Dead Souls, which is immensely readable now with a different translation, readable and amusing. Also bought Stoner after seeing the praise for it in this thread.

I've read all of Palahniuk's stuff. I'm at the point where I will read all his novels even though I find myself liking every other one of his books.

Survivor is his best, probably. Invisible Monsters (and the Remix novel), Choke, and Lullaby are pretty good too. I enjoyed Diary, but I think it was the first book he started losing fans. Haunted is a horror collection, so it's hit and miss. Rant was a step up from his previous 2 efforts, it made me get back into him. Snuff is probably his worst book, nothing really grabbed me. Pygmy was much better. Tell-All was forgettable. Damned was pretty good. Doomed was decent, an okay sequel to Damned.

I really think you would like Survivor if you like Fight Club. Choke is sort of like Fight Club but with sex instead of violence. If you are still into Palahniuk after those, you might want to continue. His stuff is all pretty short.

Really? The pretentious fake blog aspect of it was almost enough to get me to stop reading but I just wanted to see where he was going to take it. I don't think I've seen a sequel like that, one that deviated so much from the original in that it barely felt like a sequel at all.

Which reminds me that he owes us the sequel to Rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom