• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? The pretentious fake blog aspect of it was almost enough to get me to stop reading but I just wanted to see where he was going to take it. I don't think I've seen a sequel like that, one that deviated so much from the original in that it barely felt like a sequel at all.

Which reminds me that he owes us the sequel to Rant.

I still consider Doomed to be on the bad side of the "every other" trend he's been on lately. It had some engaging parts though, more so then Snuff or Tell-All. If he cut the blog gimmick and and focused solely on Madison's upbringing it would have been good.

And yes, I do want a Rant sequel. I really like that one a lot.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Looking for any suspenseful, cerebral read with Victorian language/prose. I'm coming off the works of Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
On that ol' weird fiction tip have you tried "The Great God Pan" by Arthur Machen? Or "The King in Yellow" by Robert W. Chambers? Both awesome reads. Pan is better, and King kind of dies half way through.

Have you read "Dracula" by chance? I just finished rereading that and it again impressed me with its style. And if you've read that, what about "Frankenstein"? That's so damned good too!

Further, I hear Lord Dunsany has a lot to recommend him but I haven't given him a shot yet.

After I finish up "The Count of Monte Cristo" I'm totally going to dig into "A Princess of Mars".

81GNs2zuikL.jpg

The Sky Unwashed by Irene Zabytko.

A small novel documenting the mentality of the villagers who lived around the Chernobyl disaster zone and what the government did with them after the explosion. Not chock-full of facts, but interesting and moving.

Shark Gun

Neo Member
I've read all of Palahniuk's stuff. I'm at the point where I will read all his novels even though I find myself liking every other one of his books.

Survivor is his best, probably. Invisible Monsters (and the Remix novel), Choke, and Lullaby are pretty good too. I enjoyed Diary, but I think it was the first book he started losing fans. Haunted is a horror collection, so it's hit and miss. Rant was a step up from his previous 2 efforts, it made me get back into him. Snuff is probably his worst book, nothing really grabbed me. Pygmy was much better. Tell-All was forgettable. Damned was pretty good. Doomed was decent, an okay sequel to Damned.

I really think you would like Survivor if you like Fight Club. Choke is sort of like Fight Club but with sex instead of violence. If you are still into Palahniuk after those, you might want to continue. His stuff is all pretty short.
Brilliant, thank you.

On that ol' weird fiction tip have you tried "The Great God Pan" by Arthur Machen? Or "The King in Yellow" by Robert W. Chambers? Both awesome reads. Pan is better, and King kind of dies half way through.

Have you read "Dracula" by chance? I just finished rereading that and it again impressed me with its style. And if you've read that, what about "Frankenstein"? That's so damned good too!

Further, I hear Lord Dunsany has a lot to recommend him but I haven't given him a shot yet.

After I finish up "The Count of Monte Cristo" I'm totally going to dig into "A Princess of Mars".

Thanks, I'll look into those recommendations. Appreciate it!

ShaneB

Really liking 'The Humans'. Another example of a unique narrator completely sucking me into this story. Working on different moods too, very funny, but also pretty intense and gripping.

Finished:
RlnlMc9.jpg

2GoLl95.jpg

Reading:
uX1KbV1.jpg

Carpet Makers: I have a thing for books that are about immortal/long-live living space traveling humans, so this book was right up my alley. It takes a little bit to get used to the way every chapter is about someone different, but I think it does wonders for the world building. I cannot recommend this or House of Suns enough if anyone else is into those types of stories. If anyone has any recommendations are more stuff like this, let me know! (I've also read Altered Carbon).

All You Need Is Kill: The book Edge of Tomorrow is based off of. I appreciate that it was fast past, and its a small book so its a quick read. It was okay, I wouldn't say forgettable but not much stood out besides the story on why the creatures were on earth. I've heard that isn't even explained in the movie.

Dune: I told myself that once I was done with All You Need Is Kill that I would force myself to get past the first couple chapters in this book, even after probably 3 previous failed attempts. Not understanding the new words makes me feel stupid. I've been using Kindle's Xray feature and it will find a definition from Wikipedia on most words. I know I will like this book once I dig into it more and these words are not so overwhelming.

Shengar

Books. I'm trying to consistently read 50+ a year, but still seem to be falling further behind. So many great things I want to read is a good feeling, though.

I feel that too even though I already have myriad of books in my backlog. I just wished I have the focus to read books for hours. Currently I'm usually stops reading after 100 pages or so then doing something else (which kinda annoying if I have to read 700 pages mass-market paperback book).

Nuke Soda

The Constant Gardener by John le Carre- About 168 pages in and enjoying it immensely. First book I've read by le Carre. So far all the characters seem really well rounded, even the jerks have their reasons granted they are jerky reasons.

fakefaker

Finished up Killing Pilgrim by Alen Mattich last night. I try to support my countries publishing, but this is just ugh. Hopefully I'll find a better series to invest in.

Going to clean my palette with War and Peace [Inner Sanctum Edition] by Leo Tolstoy which I found at a book sale for a $1.

61-V9YXhkIL.jpg

the power of habit.

which right of the bat went with H.M. and E.P., who are also discussed at length in Moonwalking with Einstein, so is this pretty familiar territory to breeze through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom