• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

U5tcust.jpg

Enjoying it so far! I've only read one Atwood book before, The Handmaid's Tale, back in high school and I remember liking it a lot. Figured I'd read some of her other stuff finally.

I'm having kind of a hard time getting into The Way of Kings.

I'm about 300 pages in and it just isn't pulling me along. There are parts I enjoy, but overall I find it to be a bit tedious.

Did anyone else have this experience? I bought the first two books of The Stormlight Archive because of the praise here, but I'm tempted to give up.

Yes, exactly my experience. I quit reading around that part as well and never went back, it was just so long-winded, facile and uninteresting. If a book isn't grabbing you several hundred pages in, it probably never will. I read synopses for the rest of the book and the sequel afterwards and it didn't sound like it was ever going to change much so I just cut my losses and decided the series (and the author) wasn't for me. Just not to my taste at all.

ShaneB

Move on. Life is too short to read something you don't enjoy. I quit about 10% into World War Z too. It was just boring and all the voices were telling the same story in the same way.

My thoughts as well about anything that doesn't feel like it grabs me quickly. I am always slightly hesitant in thinking it'll pick up, but I've dropped a few books that I just couldn't take.

I'm having kind of a hard time getting into The Way of Kings.

I'm about 300 pages in and it just isn't pulling me along. There are parts I enjoy, but overall I find it to be a bit tedious.

Did anyone else have this experience? I bought the first two books of The Stormlight Archive because of the praise here, but I'm tempted to give up.

I love the series so far, but at 300 pages you might want to cry uncle and move on. Stylistically, the book won't change all that drastically from that point forward. Things certainly move a lot faster in book two, but I doubt you'll make it through the 2K pages to find out.

KingGondo

Banned
Yes, exactly my experience. I quit reading around that part as well and never went back, it was just so long-winded, facile and uninteresting. If a book isn't grabbing you several hundred pages in, it probably never will. I read synopses for the rest of the book and the sequel afterwards and it didn't sound like it was ever going to change much so I just cut my losses and decided the series (and the author) wasn't for me. Just not to my taste at all.

I love the series so far, but at 300 pages you might want to cry uncle and move on. Stylistically, the book won't change all that drastically from that point forward. Things certainly move a lot faster in book two, but I doubt you'll make it through the 2K pages to find out.
Thanks for the input.

I've been on a huge non-fiction kick for years and I was hoping to get into another fantasy series (being a huge ASOIAF fan) and it's just not doing it for me.

I'll probably give it until page 500 or so, but if it still hasn't grabbed me then I'll probably give up.

Almost done with 11/22/63, really don't want it to end. One of King's best ever.

On the Audible side, I picked up Nothing to Envy to listen to.

Expanse series fans, a lead has been cast for the tv show.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120542752&postcount=42

Oh Thomas Jane, nice. I have a feeling I'm gonna like the show a lot more than the books.

Thanks for the input.

I've been on a huge non-fiction kick for years and I was hoping to get into another fantasy series (being a huge ASOIAF fan) and it's just not doing it for me.

I'll probably give it until page 500 or so, but if it still hasn't grabbed me then I'll probably give up.

I couldn't get into it either. Sanderson just doesn't do it for me.

Piecake

I am currently reading this and it is a fascinating read. This is definitely the book to read if you want to know how to change a behavior or add a new one into your life.

The NY Times review says that it is a bit more nuanced than the author suggests, but I think it is definitely a good starting point, and if you can't achieve what you want with this book then you can delve more deeply into the academics or get personal help with whatever behavior you are trying to change

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/b...f-habit-by-charles-duhigg.html?pagewanted=all

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I gotta ask, when did this series become such a phenomenon? I thought Leviathan Wakes was entertaining, but it was also not fascinating or stimulating enough to read the sequels. What am I missing?
Pulpy space opera with competent writing and neat book covers.

People love space opera.

obin_gam

Never read Dracula before, only seen the movies. So I thought I would finally take time to read it.

Bought Audibles audiobook with Alan Cumming as Harker and Tim Curry as Van Helsing among others, yesterday. So far it is really good!
51YI+gGb18L._SL300_.jpg

Nezumi

Finished:

The_front_cover_of_the_book_Raising_Steam_by_Terry_Pratchett.jpg

It took me a while to get into this even though I bought it right when it came out.
I liked parts of it while other parts felt strange. Moist is a great character and I liked his interactions with Of the Twilight the Darkness, but I thought that the whole train journey at the end felt too rushed for my taste and I have no idea what it was that happened at that bridge.
That being said, Pratchett is and always will be my favorite author and it saddened me a lot to hear that his condition is worsening. I'll look forward to each of his new books as long as they'll keep coming and I was very happy that he announced the fifth Tiffany Aching book last week.

Jintor

He's definitely been on a (writing) decline, at least Discworld-wise, since... hmmm... I'd say probably Making Money was the last one I thought was really really good. I haven't checked out his other stuff yet.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Never read Dracula before, only seen the movies. So I thought I would finally take time to read it.

Bought Audibles audiobook with Alan Cumming as Harker and Tim Curry as Van Helsing among others, yesterday. So far it is really good!
51YI+gGb18L._SL300_.jpg

Holy crap. I didn't know this existed! I've read the book a ton but that sounds awesome.

EDIT: Just picked up Emerson's "Self-Reliance" and Kerouac's "Dharma Bums" on sale on Audible. I really loved "On the Road" and have always wanted to give Emerson a fair shot so it seems like a fortuitous turn of events!

Cush

Move on. Life is too short to read something you don't enjoy. I quit about 10% into World War Z too. It was just boring and all the voices were telling the same story in the same way.

Thanks, that's been my experience as well.

So, next up is either The Subtle Knife or Game of Thrones. I didn't love The Golden Compass but I liked it enough and heard enough good things about The Subtle Knife to keep going. That said, The Subtle Knife or Game of Thrones next?

Uncle

I have no idea what it was that happened at that bridge.

The golems from the earlier Moist book formed (or built or whatever) a bridge for the train. They had been traveling underground before that through out the book.

Haly

He's definitely been on a (writing) decline, at least Discworld-wise, since... hmmm... I'd say probably Making Money was the last one I thought was really really good. I haven't checked out his other stuff yet.

Snuff was when his writing noticeably declined.

Herr K

Banned
After a sleepless night I finally finished "Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend", by Matthew Dicks.

At first I didn't think much of the book, because the subject seemed not so interesting to me, but after a little while with it, I can safely say that it was the book who grabbed me and not the other way around. This book is light and delicious, extremely simple and very enjoyable. It's full of memorable quotes, and clever jokes that certainly got me chuckling at times. The innocence of the main character, Budo, and his "imaginator" friend, Max, is portrayed beautifully. I really loved the way this book tackled a subject like the "lack of existence".

This is definitely a great read, a light book that can be enjoyed by everyone, and while the story is not really strong, what happens in the middle more than makes up for it.

Go read it!

Thanks to ShaneB, who suggested it in some other thread

Hi GAF !

So, I recently started to read some recent fantasy novels.

I liked a lot name of the wind + wise man fear, and kinda loved Gentlemen bastard series, notably thief republic.

But the next books are so far away :(

I guess you guys would have nice recommendations to help me waiting !

Please something recent : assume I read most of the "classics".

Thanks you very much.

EDIT: and how's that thorn trilogy ?

Paganmoon

Hi GAF !

I liked a lot name of the wind + wise man fear, and kinda loved Gentlemen bastard series, notably thief republic.

Thanks you very much.

I can't recommend The First Law trilogy enough, as a bonus, it's done so now wait.

VanWinkle

Hi GAF !

Thanks you very much.

Did you read Way of Kings?

Nezumi

Hi GAF !

Thanks you very much.

The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan starting with Theft of Swords. Fun, fast paced and a pair of very likeable protagonists.

ShaneB

After a sleepless night I finally finished "Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend", by Matthew Dicks.

At first I didn't think much of the book, because the subject seemed not so interesting to me, but after a little while with it, I can safely say that it was the book who grabbed me and not the other way around. This book is light and delicious, extremely simple and very enjoyable. It's full of memorable quotes, and clever jokes that certainly got me chuckling at times. The innocence of the main character, Budo, and his "imaginator" friend, Max, is portrayed beautifully. I really loved the way this book tackled a subject like the "lack of existence".

This is definitely a great read, a light book that can be enjoyed by everyone, and while the story is not really strong, what happens in the middle more than makes up for it.

Go read it!

Thanks to ShaneB, who suggested it in some other thread

Great review =) I am glad you liked it too!

I gotta ask, when did this series become such a phenomenon? I thought Leviathan Wakes was entertaining, but it was also not fascinating or stimulating enough to read the sequels. What am I missing?

Well I'm not sure it's a "phenomenon", but I was basically drew to it purely based on the GRRM quote on the LW cover. "Kick-ass Space Opera" and a cool looking cover is what drew me in. Fun characters, inviting smaller scale sci-fi that isn't too intimidating, etc etc. I just like the books a lot, but it's all good if others don't dig it *shrug*

Empty

i read two little short things

the iron man by ted hughes. a children's story that provided the (loose) inspiration for brad bird's animated film the iron giant. hughes is more famous as a poet and that aspect really comes across in the simple but beautiful writing, particularly in the lovely opening chapter describing the iron man putting himself together piece by piece. the story peaks there however and gets worse as it becomes more fable-like by the end as the iron man outwits a continent sized space dragon and less about the iron man as a mysterious force that others puzzle over.

the embassy of cambodia by zadie smith which is a short story inexplicably published on its own in physical form here in the uk. i borrowed it from the library, so in fact to have it like that was welcome as you could focus on the story completly without feeling ripped off. it's about fatou, an ivory coast immigrant recently living in the uk and covers her life experience and feelings as she goes about her new life, while filling you in on her past as it goes. the structure, a brief experience of the struggle of ordinary life in a city with a moment of illumination reminded me of dubliners, but it's also written with zadie smith's typical humour and warmth. i liked it a whole lot and wished it were an actual novel, or part of a collection of stories of people loosely linked by touching in some way this mysterious embassy in north london.

now i'm reading travels with my aunt by graham greene. it's nice and readable comic adventure but the eccentric big personality bewilders a straight man setup is quite obvious so far and it's a bit disappointing to see such an overtly racist caricature from the pen of one of my literary heroes, even if probably to be expected given the time greene was from.

Mannequin

I am incredibly jealous that you're getting to experience Claudius for the first time. The BBC series is old but lovely.

It's amazing to think that it was written by Graves as a pot-boiler. I'm really looking forward to seeing John Hurt as Caligula in the series.

ZQQLANDER

Sigh....The Name of the Wind is still a entertaining book, but it's lost the charm it had in the first 200 pages.

Haly you were right.....:(

Haly

Sigh....The Name of the Wind is still a entertaining book, but it's lost the charm it had in the first 200 pages.

Mmmmhm.

Anyway, you can safely skip The Wise Man's Fear, although it's fun in a "just how much worse can Rothfuss get?" kind of way. Hatereading is a dark and dangerous path, however, so you might want to stay out of it for the time being lest you become a cynical asshole like me.

Cerity

Reading Gone with the Wind by the request of a lady friend, after an insufferable first quarter the book has gotten leagues more enjoyable. The majority of the characters have gone from intolerable to tolerable due to the events. Hopefully it keeps up.

Probably jump back into some fantasy after this.

Hi GAF !

Thanks you very much.

I'm a huge fan of the Thorns trilogy. It's very dark, but a lot of fun and fast paced.

Blood Song is also one of my recent favorites.

ZQQLANDER

Mmmmhm.

Anyway, you can safely skip The Wise Man's Fear, although it's fun in a "just how much worse can Rothfuss get?" kind of way. Hatereading is a dark and dangerous path, however, so you might want to stay out of it for the time being lest you become a cynical asshole like me.

It ended on an interesting note, but
What was that whole part about Denna looking for her patron even though she knew what happened to him. Why did she wander around with Kvothe? Did I miss something?

elrechazado had a good suggestion for a different title: Name of the Wind: Story about a Dude who is Amazeballs at Everything

Haly

It ended on an interesting note, but
What was that whole part about Denna looking for her patron even though she knew what happened to him. Why did she wander around with Kvothe? Did I miss something?
I don't know, it was such a stupid ending I blocked it out of my mind.

elrechazado had a good suggestion for a different title: Name of the Wind: Story about a Dude who is Amazeballs at Everything
You haven't seen "Amazeballs" until you've seen Kvothe in The Wise Man's Fear.

Thanks, that's been my experience as well.

So, next up is either The Subtle Knife or Game of Thrones. I didn't love The Golden Compass but I liked it enough and heard enough good things about The Subtle Knife to keep going. That said, The Subtle Knife or Game of Thrones next?

The Golden Compass is the best of the trilogy, but I say go for it and read The Subtle Knife and the third, The Amber Spyglass just to finish the series. It was entertaining for what it was. They're fairly quick reads, so after you're done with that, you can do GoT. I wouldn't go the other way around b/c once you read GoT, you'll want to immediately read the next books in the series and nothing else will ever be read.

Yep. I was sad I forced myself to finish that book. So many hours wasted.

Mmmmhm.

I used to enjoy hate-reading, but now it just makes me cranky. Like I said before, life is too short to hate on things you don't enjoy. But yeah...Name of the Wind gets so much hype but...why??

The Golden Compass is the best of the trilogy, but I say go for it and read The Subtle Knife and the third, The Amber Spyglass just to finish the series. It was entertaining for what it was. They're fairly quick reads, so after you're done with that, you can do GoT. I wouldn't go the other way around b/c once you read GoT, you'll want to immediately read the next books in the series and nothing else will ever be read.

Yep. I was sad I forced myself to finish that book. So many hours wasted.

I used to enjoy hate-reading, but now it just makes me cranky. Like I said before, life is too short to hate on things you don't enjoy. But yeah...Name of the Wind gets so much hype but...why??
Name of the wind is easy, bad writing. It's the bieber/nsync of fantasy books with an incredibly lame Mary Sue "every 25 yr old wants to be this character" protagonist.

Haly

"every 25 yr old wants to be this character" protagonist.

I think this is key as well. Kingkiller appeals to that particular segment of the fantasy reader base who struggle with insecurity concerning their hobby and want to vindicate it by reading more "mature" stories, but, unfortunately, have a very juvenile idea of "mature".

I believe it's similar to how some gamers dismiss Nintendo games as kiddy, then turn around to exalt GTAV and CoD as games for adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom