• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2015)

Glaurungr

While maybe not outright what you're looking for, you may enjoy Ender's Game and/or Starship Troopers.

Only the first bit of it happens on Earth but Blindsight might interest you.

I haven't read it, but Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End is a science fiction classic that revolves around an invasion.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've read Ender's Game but none of the others.

Ashes

Banned
*nervously chews nails*

Don't be. It's alright. My first instinct when reading this, was that this was not really my cup of tea - purely in terms of how they're written. Flowery in parts. Seemingly in a way that shows off your talent, yes, but doesn't necessarily always aid the story. Certainly beautifies it though.

But I can see why you thought some of these deserved to be published. I'm genuinely glad they've seen the light of day. And from what I've read thus far, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I've read about half. Thus far it'd be about 3.5 on the goodreads rating scale. So no 1 star for you I'm afraid.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Don't be. It's alright. My first instinct when reading this, was that this was not really my cup of tea - purely in terms of how they're written. Flowery in parts. Seemingly in a way that shows off your talent, yes, but doesn't necessarily always aid the story. Certainly beautifies it though.

But I can see why you thought some of these deserved to be published. I'm genuinely glad they've seen the light of day. And from what I've read thus far, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I've read about half. Thus far it'd be about 3.5 on the goodreads rating scale. So no 1 star for you I'm afraid.

*downgrades his nervous tic to loudly tapping his foot*

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Are they ordered in any particular way?

Fairly subjectively, to be honest. I wanted the title story ("Tide of Shadows", which you can read here.) to be the last one, and the previously published story ("A Night for Spirits and Snowflakes") to come first. I then chose the order for the remaining books in a way that I felt had a good rhythm and provided good/interesting context to one another. I didn't want two science fiction or two fantasy stories to butt up against each other, for instance.

Bazza

21618.jpg

842993.jpg

These are the last of my July books, Forever Peace but it ended a bit abruptly, Everything seemed to be concluded in the final few pages, but otherwise a good read.

Forever Free I loved, good reads has it at about 3.5/5 for me it was about a 4.5/5 book, without going through the reviews my assumption would be that some people didn't enjoy the conclusion. Up until the final few chapters its quite a standard science fiction story
the twist of the whole galaxy being the play thing of a god like entity existing in all space and time and still running experiments he knows the results of, but being a scientist still needs evidence actually had me laughing, it was a twist that caught me by surprise but still an entirely plausible conclusion in the world the author created.

15790883.jpg

Reading this now but it will be as far as I get in the series because..

618193.jpg

..this was finally delivered (the other 7 books in this series were delivered before the 1st arrived), been looking forward to this since I finished the The Twilight of the Empire series the end of June only to realise the Deathstalker series wasn't available on Kindle.

"One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories" is the greatest book I've read this year.

BJ Novak has written a book of 100 interconnected short stories, ranging from three sentences to five pages each. They basically read as modern day fables (the first story is even about the continuing feud between the Tortoise and the Hare) and all contain a decent level of completely disarming wisdom mixed with just random WTF humor. There's even a story about how seriously we take allegories. One of the best features, though, is that you can read three or four hilarious pokes at human frailty, only for the fifth story to simply destroy you emotionally. The writing is so good, so complex, so in-depth, that it pains me that the writing is my only major gripe about the book. Every story has essentially the same voice, with minor differences. This is not a book you read in one sitting.
Less intelligent review: if you want to read a book version of The Office, pick this up.

FatalT

Banned
It's frustrating for me to try to join in this thread because I swear you're all a bunch of academic super smart book reading people and I feel like I have literary Down's syndrome. I saw Steelheart recommended in like last month's thread so I checked it out and it WAS AMAZING! I jumped into Firefight right after and finished it but now I'm sad because Calamity doesn't come out until February next year.

In that Lovecraft thread I saw someone recommend 14 by Peter Clines and it's super interesting and mysterious so far (only like 25% in) but a bit slow. Almost too slow for me. I swear I have ADD when it comes to reading. I saw one of Clines' other series about super heroes in a post-apocalyptic world and it's supposed to be good so I'll probably read the first one, Ex-Heroes, next. I didn't look at the genre so I hope it's Young Adult. I are not read good.

Finished my first ever re-read of a book. I finished A Dirty Job, Christopher Moore. It was a book that I picked up randomly in a book store and hit me in the perfect spot to get me back into reading and I've been reading pretty regularly ever since. With the sequel coming out I thought it would be smart to back and see how it held up. It held up, but it was interesting seeing how much was different in my memory. I think I had more fun seeing how things had changed in my memory than I may have had actually reading it this time around. I still enjoyed it, but it was dissapointing seeing things I remembered really enjoying being barely in the book at all.
Seeing that stuff like the squarell people and Audrey only show up in the last quarter of the book, and most of Rivera's interaction being at the end. Also realizing that Sophie is almost barely in the book at all except for funny moments just blew my mind, because when I look back those are my favorite parts of the book.

Re-reading is really just a weird experience all around. I may end up re-reading more prominent of my reads moving forward.

But for now next up is one of these three, but I'm not sure which it will be yet. Depends on my mood over the weekend.

21704.jpg

5933841.jpg

9591398.jpg

It's frustrating for me to try to join in this thread because I swear you're all a bunch of academic super smart book reading people and I feel like I have literary Down's syndrome. I saw Steelheart recommended in like last month's thread so I checked it out and it WAS AMAZING! I jumped into Firefight right after and finished it but now I'm sad because Calamity doesn't come out until February next year.

In that Lovecraft thread I saw someone recommend 14 by Peter Clines and it's super interesting and mysterious so far (only like 25% in) but a bit slow. Almost too slow for me. I swear I have ADD when it comes to reading. I saw one of Clines' other series about super heroes in a post-apocalyptic world and it's supposed to be good so I'll probably read the first one, Ex-Heroes, next. I didn't look at the genre so I hope it's Young Adult. I are not read good.

Black Dahlia!
Black Dahlia!
Black Dahlia!

obin_gam

Maybe I'm missunderstanding, but is that Lovecraftian in some way? If even a little bit that would jump it ahead of Fairyland and Inherant Vice. I'm in a Lovecraft mood after beating Bloodborne.

It's a noir detective tale about a real life gruesome murder.

If you want lovecraft, check out Stephen King's Revival.

I don't get to read often but I am about 5 chapters into Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I'm finding it to be brutal and bleak in equa measure and the visuals are arresting. Really interested to see where it goes.

Taruranto

Got Hearts in Atlantis by S.K., I'll start it as soon I finish 4.50 From Paddington.

I actually got Storm of the Century before it, but I returned it as the screenplay format suuuucks.

I know. I know.

I haven't read it, but Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End is a science fiction classic that revolves around an invasion.

Childhood's End is a classic so it should be read anyway, but if he's looking for humans vs aliens invasion is not exactly a good pick as the "Invasion" is mostly peaceful and the book is more about humankind evolution.

Kamion

Black Dahlia!
Black Dahlia!
Black Dahlia!

So, since that one is so good - I still have to read it, it's on the to-buy list - how is L.A. Confidential? I've had people praise it to death and other people hate it with a passion, most of which have read Black Dahlia before.
But hey, detective noir, might read that on my trip to Italy in August! EDIT: (and/or do I need to read The Big Nowhere first? Are they connected?)

I'm also - after playing Life is Strange recently - in the mood for something along the lines of Twin Peaks. Anyone have any suggestions? Need to stock up for that vacation. Lots of laying around at the beach probably.

Rogan

Banned
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Almost done, I love it! I always have problems to finish a book, but this one is just great.

Kamion

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Almost done, I love it! I always have problems to finish a book, but this one is just great.

It's a fun book. Picked it up on a whim on a school trip to Edinburgh back in 2006 and read it on the bus ride from Edinburgh to London. You can't put it down.

I've tried reading "The Red House" recently but couldn't get into it, sadly.

Aiii

So not worth it
Daniel Bryan’s Yes!: My Improbable Journey to the Main Event of WrestleMania is a great retelling of the career of WWE’s most unlikely of recent world champions. He tells earnestly about his career, the people that helped him throughout it and also of the people and events that didn’t quite go his way. From highs as champion of Ring of Honor, to lows like getting hired and fired from WWE developmental in the early 00s. Daniel Bryan’s voice echoes throughout the book and, despite a few f-bombs here and there, comes off about as nice as his in-ring persona seems.

The story itself is both written by Bryan himself, as well as writer Craig Tello, who starts each chapter with a third person narration of Daniel Bryan and his -then soon-to-be- wife Brie Bryan’s final few days leading up to Daniel’s big WrestleMania 30 moment, leading into Daniel Bryan’s own first person chronological retelling of his life and career. It paints a perfect picture of the man that Daniel Bryan is, his vision on wrestling and how his career unfolded. It is, in that sense, the perfect book.

The narration of Craig Tello’s portion of the book is read by Peter Berkrot and, honestly, leaves much to be desired. Berkrot reads the parts as if he were reading a big fantasy, trying to put much more emotion into the narration than is needed and expected. It is very distracting and takes a lot away from what is being said. Luckily, those parts only serve as the introduction to the meat of the story, Daniel Bryan’s parts. Those, are read by Daniel Bryan himself and his narration is, as one would expect from an autobiography, natural. Often, and accurately, described in the book as soft-spoken, Daniel Bryan reads his tale as if he were sitting next to you and telling you his stories in normal conversation. His emotion clearly ringing through his voice, especially when the subject turns to his wife or deceased father. Giving his narration an extra dimension over regular narration.

All in all, if you like Daniel Bryan, or pro-wrestling in general, Yes! is pretty much the perfect book. Focussing mostly on Bryan’s wrestling career and sidestepping where needed in his personal life, it provides a unique and uncensored look on an unlikely WrestleMania Main Eventer and on the backstage life of wrestler in both the independent scene, as well as the WWE.

Blues1990

Stranger in a Strange Land, By Robert A. Heinlein

The story is about a man named Valentine Michael Smith, who returns to Earth as a young adult after being born & raised on the planet Mars by Martians. He begins to learn about Earth culture & tries to apply much of his wisdom to help alleviate the sufferings of mankind. Unfortunately, the world is not ready to embrace the radical teachings of Mike's Martian philosophy. Oh, and he comes to learn about the concept of humanity & sexuality, both of which are completely alien concepts to him.

Taruranto

I liked the first part of Stranger in a Strange Land, but boy, does it gets weird toward the end. I understand what Heinlein was trying to do (Jubal even explains it), but
Mike's "cult"
was really off putting.

Also Mike kinda comes out as a gary stu at times.

Maybe I'm missunderstanding, but is that Lovecraftian in some way? If even a little bit that would jump it ahead of Fairyland and Inherant Vice. I'm in a Lovecraft mood after beating Bloodborne.
It's very dark and has horrific elements (the whole LA Quartet is like that too) but I'm not familiar with Lovecraft enough to say it's Lovecraftian.

So, since that one is so good - I still have to read it, it's on the to-buy list - how is L.A. Confidential? I've had people praise it to death and other people hate it with a passion, most of which have read Black Dahlia before.
But hey, detective noir, might read that on my trip to Italy in August! EDIT: (and/or do I need to read The Big Nowhere first? Are they connected?)

I'm also - after playing Life is Strange recently - in the mood for something along the lines of Twin Peaks. Anyone have any suggestions? Need to stock up for that vacation. Lots of laying around at the beach probably.
The LA Quartet is amongst my favorite books of all time so Id definitely recommended you read Black Dahlia and Big Nowhere first. Even though it's book 3 of 4 it wraps up a lot of storylines. Technically though, if you really wanted to you could just read it alone and still enjoy it. I don't think you'd be lost but you just wouldn't get maximum enjoyment.

As for Twin Peaks - maybe Wayward Pines?

Mumei

It shouldn't frustrate you. You're reading for yourself, not for someone else, right?

Ashes

Banned
It's frustrating for me to try to join in this thread because I swear you're all a bunch of academic super smart book reading people and I feel like I have literary Down's syndrome.

Don't give a damn what kind of books people read - the more variation the better. But you could use better metaphors. This is appalling.

I'm 10 chapters into this book and it is really gripping. Very suspenseful with well-written characters. Basic premise is about a young woman who was kidnapped and tortured by a serial killer but manages to escape. She changes her name and tries to start a new life after his alleged death in prison, but a series of events leads her to believe she may not be safe.

aasoncott

While I'm here, maybe people can help me out. I discovered a while ago that I liked horror. Kind of. I hate anything that feels like it's going out of its way to be masochistic or shocking. Just...good stories, good characters, and a gripping sense of dread.

I loved We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Shirley Jackson).

I also liked:
House of Leaves (Mark Z. Danielewski)
Dracula (Bram Stoker)
One Bloody Thing After Another (Joey Comeau)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (Stephen King)

What should be on my reading list?

Alucard

Banned
While I'm here, maybe people can help me out. I discovered a while ago that I liked horror. Kind of. I hate anything that feels like it's going out of its way to be masochistic or shocking. Just...good stories, good characters, and a gripping sense of dread.

I also liked:
Dracula (Bram Stoker)

The Shining might be a good choice?

ShaneB

It's frustrating for me to try to join in this thread because I swear you're all a bunch of academic super smart book reading people

As much as some of the books posted in these threads go way over my head, I've always enjoyed knowing that there is very little to no judgement towards to what anyone else is reading. Lots of variety and plenty of discussion over a a wide variety of tastes.

Mumei

51-xnDalvrL.jpg

From the renowned author of “The Lottery” and The Haunting of Hill House, a spectacular new volume of previously unpublished and uncollected stories, essays, and other writings.

This might be something to check out, then. It's on my list!

Currently, Live by Night by Dennis Lehane.

Really good book about a small time hood making up his own criminal empire running rum from Boston, to Tampa, and to Cuba during the Prohibition. Lehane has a gift for great dialogue, and it shows in this book. Feels so natural and of the time period. It's easy to see why so much of Lehane's books have been made into movies. (Both Shutter Island and Mystic River)

kswiston

I will probably finish the Martian tomorrow or on Sunday. It's a pretty quick read despite the large numbers of facts and figures.

I also liked:
Dracula (Bram Stoker)

Ship of Fools

As much as some of the books posted in these threads go way over my head, I've always enjoyed knowing that there is very little to no judgement towards to what anyone else is reading. Lots of variety and plenty of discussion over a a wide variety of tastes.
Although I found out from the "where do you find new books?" thread that some seem to have the impression we're all simpletons who try to contain our drool from our slack jaws as we read Harry Potter, Ready Player One, and other assorted fantasy and sci-fi books. And while they're right about me I take offense on behalf of the likes of you, Mumei, piecake, cyan, ashes, Aidan, whatevermort, etc

Top Bottom