• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
It was ok. Thought the second book was better and thought the trilogy itself was alright rather than anything special. Some things just didn't work for me, I guess. For as much as I enjoyed the support cast, the general character interaction, and the pre-chapter text telling its own tale along side the main story, I found myself detesting the magic system and action. Entertaining enough but not something I'd revisit.

How's Alloy of Law though? More of the same?

No Vin and no politics so these two are big pluses. I enjoyed the action scenes much more since they weren't only based on magic. Personally I preferred it over the last 2 books of the trilogy.

4-a-game-of-thrones-4-book-boxed-set.jpg

So far I've read 2/4. I think I'm going to go all the way and get the fifth one after I finish the rest.

Meteorain

cover_PandorasStar.jpg

Just started Pandora's Star. Only a few chapters in, but so far it has been a pretty good read. I've been a bit slow recently with reading books, and have done the most odious thing of just stopping randomly and starting another book :(

Woorloog

Banned
Kinda dull. Not really up to the standard of the trilogy. The only interesting thing about it is how the powers in the world have kind of faded over time, so the main heroes aren't full Mistborns and have to use their more minor abilities with a bit more cleverness.

Which is why i kinda enjoy it much more than the main trilogy (aside from the first book).

Fjordson

I just started an anthology of H.P. Lovecraft. Has every single one of this stories that he wrote as an adult, in order of creation. I've read some of his more famous stories and love them, but never dug into all of them like this. It's actually a fan made collection and is incredibly well done. No formatting errors or typos that I've seen thus far, is all in correct order with a nice table of contents. Can get it for free actually from http://cthulhuchick.com/ for Kindle or Nook. And it's got a sweet cover:

11851522.jpg

Oh, and we're putting up Goodreads profiles? Here's mine. Very few of my friends read. :(

Added! I don't have many friends who read either, so linking my profile as well!

Regarding Gaiman, haven't read any of his YA/children stuff yet, but I feel his adult novels are just not as good as most of Sandman :(. That said, Ocean at the End of the Lane actually reminded me of some of his Sandman stuff - was also short enough to not drag like American Gods :]

Also, hooray to posting goodreads accounts. The only person who ever updates on mine is Mumei. Here's mine.

Added all three of you (Colin Fjordson on Goodreads). I made mine a few years ago, but stopped using it for a bit. Starting to again now that I'm reading a lot again. My profile right hurr.

200px-TheWayOfKings.png

Just finished. I really, really enjoyed this. I haven't read much epic fantasy and now I'm craving more. Should I read Sanderson's Mistborn series? I was a bit amazed by how much I ended up caring for the characters, especially Dalinar.

Also, I've been meaning to read some of Ursula K. Le Guin's books for years and have seen her mentioned several times in these threads. Is The Left Hand of Darkness a good place to start? Or should I start with her first novel?

Jintor

Finished Brave New World. Fantastic book. Got fooled by the decoy protagonist. Surprisingly benevolent dystopia. Glad to have read it.

Starting Cosmos by Carl Sagan. Haven't done science reading in a while. Looking forward to it.

Pau

Also, I've been meaning to read some of Ursula K. Le Guin's books for years and have seen her mentioned several times in these threads. Is The Left Hand of Darkness a good place to start? Or should I start with her first novel?
Left Hand of Darkness is a great place to start! Her science fiction novels don't tend to super connected although they do take place in the same universe. I think her first novel, Rocannon's World, is very obviously a first novel. Not bad, but no where near the level she later reaches.

Row

Banned
Finished two books this month, "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth and "Slaughterhouse-Five" by Vonnegut

The Human Stain I didn't like that much, felt like you had to be an old, pretentious american to enjoy it and on that front I'm 0 for 3. The best parts by far were the ones that involved les, the nam vet with severe ptsd. The rest of the book...meh. My first and last Roth novel. Awesome title/cover though...had that going for it atleast.

I then started and finished slaughter-house five in two days, what a wonderful book. I had only read a few Vonnegut short stories before, and many years ago at that, and this book was just a great read that will lead me to reading some of his other stuff as well.

Next I'm not sure what I'll read next, maybe "Last Man in Tower"

I have a question for those who read nambo's harry hole books: do you need to start with the first? I bought the leopard at a book fair and have never read anything by him before, does it really matter if I start with this one?

Fjordson

A lot of you guys read Brandon Sanderson stuff. Is he good? I don't read much fantasy.
Lots of people love him it seems. I read the first Mistborn book (and half of the second) and was pretty bored so personally I'm not really a fan. At least not yet.

I plan on trying that Way of Kings book posted a few posts up since it's supposedly some decent epic fantasy. Hopefully it's better than Mistborn.

TTG

I read both of the Kingkiller Chronicle books by Patrick Rothfuss earlier this month and then, still craving more, just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear were both great. I don't know exactly when it happened, but at some point during the first book it sucked me in and I could scarcely put them down before I was finished. Then, I got to experience the sting a lot of fans that are much more into this genre than I am must feel, I have to wait for the next one for God knows how long. I'm always late to the party, blasting through a decade's(or more in case of Ice and Fire) worth of work in one go. Anyway, they're both great, a sort of Harry Potter for grown ups type of thing, which I didn't see coming at all in the beginning. Well realized world, especially notable in comparison with The Lies of Locke Lamora. My only knock against it is that even though the second book weighs in at over 1000 pages, there's not a lot of progress to the main story line that was set up early. It feels like a long series, but it's suppose to be a trilogy. I would absolutely recommend it.

The Lies of Lock Lamora, while a fun read, was not on the same level. Why bother with magic and mention of some predecessor race at all when the organized crime and the Gentlemen Bastard's trade is so much more interesting? I don't know. Still very enjoyable, especially when the pace picks up about midway through. But I don't think I'll be going back for the next one, at least not right now.

Mumei

Left Hand of Darkness is a great place to start! Her science fiction novels don't tend to super connected although they do take place in the same universe. I think her first novel, Rocannon's World, is very obviously a first novel. Not bad, but no where near the level she later reaches.

o_O

But I didn't say anything about that!

Edit: Oh, you meant to quote EverythingShiny.

Ohnonono

I read both of the Kingkiller Chronicle books by Patrick Rothfuss earlier this month and then, still craving more, just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear were both great. I don't know exactly when it happened, but at some point during the first book it sucked me in and I could scarcely put them down before I was finished. Then, I got to experience the sting a lot of fans that are much more into this genre than I am must feel, I have to wait for the next one for God knows how long. I'm always late to the party, blasting through a decade's(or more in case of Ice and Fire) worth of work in one go. Anyway, they're both great, a sort of Harry Potter for grown ups type of thing, which I didn't see coming at all in the beginning. Well realized world, especially notable in comparison with The Lies of Locke Lamora. My only knock against it is that even though the second book weighs in at over 1000 pages, there's not a lot of progress to the main story line that was set up early. It feels like a long series, but it's suppose to be a trilogy. I would absolutely recommend it.

The Lies of Lock Lamora, while a fun read, was not on the same level. Why bother with magic and mention of some predecessor race at all when the organized crime and the Gentlemen Bastard's trade is so much more interesting? I don't know. Still very enjoyable, especially when the pace picks up about midway through. But I don't think I'll be going back for the next one, at least not right now.

Kingkiller books are so charming. I adore them and can't wait for the next one.

duckroll

I couldn't get past LW myself. The writing was decent, but the world-building and characters felt contrived, like it was all put together from pastiches of familiar genre tropes. I'm a bit surprised at how popular these books have gotten, given how much superior space opera is being published these days, but maybe they scratch an itch which is a little less British and unsentimental and hard-sf. If you're in the mood for something light-hearted, I'd recommend The Tales of the Ketty Jay series instead -

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding

I just finished this and start up the second book in the series. I've been trying out lots of authors and series' first books so it is rare for me to jump into a sequel right away.

The setting is a lot different than LW. Still revolves around a crew but it's more steampunkish/fantasy/sky pirates than a space opera or even sci-fi. Better developed characters with tighter motivations than LW cast imo. Action adventure with some humour mixed in.

Is anyone else active on goodreads? Gaf group is pretty dead

Maybe I'll give this a try next month. Thanks! :)

I am totally judging my interest in it by the cover. Lol.

Blitzzz

A lot of you guys read Brandon Sanderson stuff. Is he good? I don't read much fantasy.

I've only read Mistborn so far and enjoyed it a lot. I think the magic system appeals to the gaming crowd which might be part of the reason why it's popular here.

I haven't decided if I should start Mistborn #2 or Way of Kings as his next book...

Maybe I'll give this a try next month. Thanks! :)

I am totally judging my interest in it by the cover. Lol.

It is a sweet cover!! Makes me wish I got the physical copy instead

I'm surprised no one has joined the Sword and Laser group on GR. Seems to be a lot of fantasy/sci-fi readers on gaf. Plus Veronica Belmont does the podcasts. http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4170-the-sword-and-laser

Might as well throw my profile up since I started asking http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7524597-allen

Awesome, thank you! I was planning on heading to the bookstore today, so I'll pick that up.

For those of you on Goodreads, I also have a profile. It needs some serious updating, though.

ShaneB

It is a sweet cover!! Makes me wish I got the physical copy instead

I'm surprised no one has joined the Sword and Laser group on GR. Seems to be a lot of fantasy/sci-fi readers on gaf. Plus Veronica Belmont does the podcasts. http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4170-the-sword-and-laser

Might as well throw my profile up since I started asking http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7524597-allen

A sweet cover indeed, I think that series is going to get bumped up in my queue quickly and will make reading the first book a priority.

I'll join that group if for nothing else other than to have more groups, lol. I was going to ask about book podcasts as well, if there any recommendations. I guess I'm not keen on the idea of how a book podcast would work so much without getting into spoiler territory, but figure there's gotta be something interesting. EDIT: Just listened to an episode of the Sword and Laser podcast, that was good times.

Necrovex

Over the past year, I have become very interested in Buddhism (well ever since I took a World Religion class last year, and the only religion that beckoned to me was Buddhism). Since I completed school, I decided to start studying this philosophy. Plus the library has made it possible for me to experiment with books.

I am reading:

51Z18PGjijL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's a really good beginner's look at Buddhism. The four noble truths, the eight-fold paths, and the hindrance. A very short read too. I am about 3/4th of the way through it. There's a good chance I may change my religious belief to Atheistic Buddhism.

I finished off all six volumes of Clive Barker's Books of Blood. It was really nice to find they managed to live up to my memory of them. Dread remains my favorite story, followed by In the Flesh.The one story that really grew in my estimation was The Inhuman Condition. I honestly don't remember caring for it too much, but it ended up being one of the better stories.

I think I went through and added everyone that posted their GoodReads profile. Here's mine, in case anyone wants to add me.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Finished off The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum yesterday and found it a really enjoyable read. It was cool to see the differences between it and the movie.

Now on to a nice, light, summer read with my 1945 Illustrated Modern Library edition of Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Just wondering if anyone has read The Three Musketeers and please let me know which translation they like best?

md9334743532.jpg

Book one of The Iron Druid Chronicles. It's relentlessly okay so far, yet so close to being great. The main character takes Crazy Prepared to a whole other level, he makes Batman look underprepared. I really like him as a narrator though. It's also cool to see a series using Irish myths (we have a really cool mythology IMO). I'm sticking with it in the hope it improves.

NekoFever

I just started an anthology of H.P. Lovecraft. Has every single one of this stories that he wrote as an adult, in order of creation. I've read some of his more famous stories and love them, but never dug into all of them like this. It's actually a fan made collection and is incredibly well done. No formatting errors or typos that I've seen thus far, is all in correct order with a nice table of contents. Can get it for free actually from http://cthulhuchick.com/ for Kindle or Nook. And it's got a sweet cover:

11851522.jpg

I've got that on my Kindle. Been working my way through it for over a year, just reading 2-3 stories between other books as a bit of a palate cleanser.

Kaladin

Anyone here ever read Paul Theroux? I'm referring to his non-fiction travel novels here. I picked up The Great Railway Bazaar and The Happy Isles Of Oceania at the library where I work. Both seem interesting but I've never read him and fairly new to travel literature of this nature. I'll probably dive in over the weekend. At the very least, it seems like some fun escapist reading.

Meteorain

Book one of The Iron Druid Chronicles. It's relentlessly okay so far, yet so close to being great. The main character takes Crazy Prepared to a whole other level, he makes Batman look underprepared. I really like him as a narrator though. It's also cool to see a series using Irish myths (we have a really cool mythology IMO). I'm sticking with it in the hope it improves.

His trusty Irish Wolfhound is the best. Those lines he throws out are all classics.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'll be diving into this on the weekend:

p0ICKgV.jpg

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch.
rawr

1209_1314296749.jpg

Penn Jillette is a funny dude. One of the most crass books I have ever read. Dude has absolutely no filter and is a self-proclaimed asshole, yet he always came off as a really cool and down-to-earth guy, and this book reinforces that.

Mumei

Now on to a nice, light, summer read with my 1945 Illustrated Modern Library edition of Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Just wondering if anyone has read The Three Musketeers and please let me know which translation they like best?

I don't know about that, but I do know that you should go off and get a Pevear & Volokhonsky translation for Crime and Punishment!

Just picked up the following from the bookstore:

9780441007318.jpg

name-of-the-wind-277x383.jpg

9781936365746_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

I have no idea which one to read first! This will be my first time reading Ursula K. Le Guin and Patrick Rothfuss. I've read several of Dave Eggers' books.

Re-reading Bonfire of the Vanities, which I originally read 20 years ago.
Also this past weekend I read and finished On Writing by Stephen King

jtb

Banned
Just picked up the following from the bookstore:

9780441007318.jpg

name-of-the-wind-277x383.jpg

9781936365746_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

I have no idea which one to read first! This will be my first time reading Ursula K. Le Guin and Patrick Rothfuss. I've read several of Dave Eggers' books.

haven't read the first two, but I thought Hologram for the King was underwhelming.

eattomorro

Neo Member
I don't know about that, but I do know that you should go off and get a Pevear & Volokhonsky translation for Crime and Punishment!

I've heard good things about the P&V translation, but I'm going to reading the one I have first just for the beautiful illustrations. Heh I'm a hopeless romantic.

Monocle

I've heard good things about the P&V translation, but I'm going to reading the one I have first just for the beautiful illustrations. Heh I'm a hopeless romantic.
If it comes down to that, you should get the P&V version and page through the illustrations as you read it. Don't spoil your first impression of a great book for just a handful of pictures.

ShaneB

Yeah. I was wondering what the big deal was, then I saw the release date isn't until October.
KuGsj.gif
Guess I'll keep my eye on that book if it's such a big deal :p

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Just started A Song of Ice and Fire this month, its my first time reading these books. I finished A Game of Thrones in about a weeks time [audiobook], I tore through it and loved every second of it. I'm starting A Clash of Kings now, very excited. Gods be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom