• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratrat

I'll be diving into this on the weekend:

p0ICKgV.jpg

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch.
rawr
Waaaaaa!!!!!!

Lumiere

Neo Member
Just picked up the following from the bookstore:

9780441007318.jpg

name-of-the-wind-277x383.jpg

9781936365746_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

I have no idea which one to read first! This will be my first time reading Ursula K. Le Guin and Patrick Rothfuss. I've read several of Dave Eggers' books.

Hope you enjoy The Left Hand of Darkness! If you find that you like her style, she has written lots of great novels and short stories :]

Fjordson

Got through a few of Lovecraft's early stories in the complete anthology. Even early on, I find his style to be incredible. The atmosphere is so thick, very easy to get wrapped up in each tale. I very rarely enjoy horror in text form for whatever reason, but HP Lovecraft is something special.

Zona

519w3uBb86L._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

I read this recently as I saw it on the new books shelf in my local library. The introduction, which you can see on the amazon page, peaked my interest enough to check it out. I recommend you read the introduction, it's only three pages, if it catches you to pick it up as a light read. It's not a masterpiece by any means but it is a quick fun book that surpassed my expatiations.

Ceebs

Yeah. I was wondering what the big deal was, then I saw the release date isn't until October.
KuGsj.gif
Guess I'll keep my eye on that book if it's such a big deal :p

Go read the first two books in the series if fantasy heist stories sound cool.

Salsa

apparently Warner Brothers still has the rights to make a film or TV show out of the Gentleman Bastard series

arent there like 7 books planned tho? time to harry potter that shit up execs!

also I just bought the second one

TTG

For those talking about the Gentleman Bastards, since I just finished the first one, I have to ask. Did you guys feel like The Falconer threw a wrench into an otherwise very interesting book? That's the way I felt.
Magic wasn't needed/welcome with a great set up between organized crime, the Bastards and the Spider. Also, it let the Gray King prance around like superman, an omniscient superman at that.
It didn't ruin the book, but it did seem silly.

Dresden

For those talking about the Gentleman Bastards, since I just finished the first one, I have to ask. Did you guys feel like The Falconer threw a wrench into an otherwise very interesting book? That's the way I felt.
Magic wasn't needed/welcome with a great set up between organized crime, the Bastards and the Spider. Also, it let the Gray King prance around like superman, an omniscient superman at that.
It didn't ruin the book, but it did seem silly.

If you thought that was silly, book two is going to break you.

Slayven

519w3uBb86L._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

I read this recently as I saw it on the new books shelf in my local library. The introduction, which you can see on the amazon page, peaked my interest enough to check it out. I recommend you read the introduction, it's only three pages, if it catches you to pick it up as a light read. It's not a masterpiece by any means but it is a quick fun book that surpassed my expatiations.

Got taht on my to read list.

Reading this right now. Ain't no masterpiece but it is fun.
51iHSBOeH-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

ShaneB

Go read the first two books in the series if fantasy heist stories sound cool.

Sounds like something I could enjoy, and seems like other folks are excited for the new one, so I'll add it to the list!

Fiending really hard for any sort of Blade Runner / Deus Ex HR / Total Recall 2012esque cyberpunk right now so I'm putting all books I was currently reading on hold to read Altered Carbon which I understand might scratch my itch
Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

I think I read about 20% of Altered Carbon, and it just never fully gripped me like I wanted it to. Definitely sounds like something I should like, a sci-fi cyberpunk whodunnit, etc, but just never clicked for me.

I finished The Fort last night. Gave it 4/5. Really liked it, debated giving it 3 stars since there are some issues (at one point I thought it seemed like a DuckTales book, the three boys mimicking Huey, Dewey, and Louie, figuring things out before adults did, etc), but the ending got to me, so that bumped it up to a 4. A coming of age thriller that walks the line of being slightly YA, but then some subject matter is pretty grim and adult. A short simple read that I enjoyed.

kaskade

Finally started going back to this.

XlM2RM1.jpg

Might go through The Road again when I'm done. Kind of want to since I started playing The Last of Us.

Started reading Catch-22 for the second time, in that the first time I only made it a slight ways into the book before I lost interest. At the behest of a friend though, I'm giving it another shot, and so far I've made it further than before and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

Tenrius

Finished off The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum yesterday and found it a really enjoyable read. It was cool to see the differences between it and the movie.

Now on to a nice, light, summer read with my 1945 Illustrated Modern Library edition of Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Just wondering if anyone has read The Three Musketeers and please let me know which translation they like best?

md9334743532.jpg

Hahaha, Dostoevsky is ANYTHING but light. Maybe the translation's different, but the original text is not a light read at all. Or maybe that was irony that flew over my head.

Necrovex

Why all the hype for Republic of Thieves?

And I finished the book I posted in the prior page. Does anyone have any good recommendations to further my Buddhism studies?

Nymerio

And I finished the book I posted in the prior page. Does anyone have any good recommendations to further my Buddhism studies?

Presumably because people liked the previous books and it has been pushed back a couple of times. At least that's why I am pretty hyped about it.

You might like Alan Watts - The Way of Zen which talks about Buddhism and Taoism and how they influence Zen Buddhism

514210.jpg

eattomorro

Neo Member
If it comes down to that, you should get the P&V version and page through the illustrations as you read it. Don't spoil your first impression of a great book for just a handful of pictures.

I'm into chapter 3, I'm enjoying it, but one day I'll buy the P&V translation just to see the difference.

Hahaha, Dostoevsky is ANYTHING but light. Maybe the translation's different, but the original text is not a light read at all. Or maybe that was irony that flew over my head.

Busted.

Fireblend

Banned
Has anyone here read The Long Earth? The Terry Pratchett + Stephen Baxter collaboration intrigues me, and I usually like sci-fi. Any impressions on this book? The Amazon reviews don't seem very favorable...

Fiending really hard for any sort of Blade Runner / Deus Ex HR / Total Recall 2012esque cyberpunk right now so I'm putting all books I was currently reading on hold to read Altered Carbon which I understand might scratch my itch

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

This is indeed scratching my itch for cyberpunk in a major way. Burned through 30% of the book since 10am this morning. Its fantastic and just what I was looking for. Really reminds me of Deus Ex: HR. I didn't care for that game a whole lot (only got about half way through) but loved the setting. But now that I'm reading this book I feel like going back and playing through it from the beginning.

Fjordson

Well it's been a long, long time coming and I enjoyed the first two (they weren't amazing, but they're good).

Also, Scott Lynch struggled at times with the third book due to severe bouts of depression, panic attacks, and other issues. So it's good to see him doing better and for the book to be actually finished.

This is indeed scratching my itch for cyberpunk in a major way. Burned through 30% of the book since 10am this morning. Its fantastic and just what I was looking for. Really reminds me of Deus Ex: HR. I didn't care for that game a whole lot (only got about half way through) but loved the setting. But now that I'm reading this book I feel like going back and playing through it from the beginning.
Haha, yep. Perfect example of cyberpunk action. Love that book.

I just wish there were more books out there like that. You'd think fast paced cyberpunk set in futuristic dystopian cities would be more popular but there isn't all that much out there. Even the two Altered Carbon sequels are pretty different.

I just wish there were more books out there like that. You'd think fast paced cyberpunk set in futuristic dystopian cities would be more popular but there isn't all that much out there. Even the two Altered Carbon sequels are pretty different.

Hey guys. I would also recommend Morgan's Black Man. It's Cyberpunk, but not as far into the future as the kovacs' books. It's the best thing he's written imho.
btw - It's called Thirteen if you're in the States. Apparently the original title wouldn't fly for US publishers.

Hey guys. I would also recommend Morgan's Black Man. It's Cyberpunk, but not as far into the future as the kovacs' books. It's the best thing he's written imho.
btw - It's called Thirteen if you're in the States. Apparently the original title wouldn't fly for US publishers.

Interesting. Added to my wishlist. Thanks!

Have read any Rudy Rucker? His 'Ware' books are all available free from his website

Fireblend

Banned
So I'm halfway through The Ocean at the End of the Lane (I'm really trying to make it last).

small_c6fcbaf196c5acd304f337a08711ff51.jpg

And wow. I don't think Gaiman's writing has ever been this unsettling. I've read pretty much everything he's written (the only major work I'm missing is Anansi Boys, something I plan to take care of very soon), and while he's always alluded to some pretty dark themes and characters - even in his books for children - I don't think any of his works has ever gotten this ridiculously dark. This book really reminds me of nightmares I had as a child, and it combines them with such morbid "real" scenarios so well it truly makes me feel somewhat sick.

Thinking back of when I read House of Leaves, expecting something that would scare me, this is doing such a better job of accomplishing that. And the writing is as good as I would expect from NG. I'm enjoying it so much. Even though the supernatural and mythical elements remain (and I wouldn't want it any other way), I feel like this is such a departure from his usual work, and it works so damn well. If only it was longer :(

Also, something I haven't seen discussed anywhere; are the pages of this book supposed to be "torn" like this? It doesn't seem like any sort of factory or delivery damage so I'm guessing this was intentional for the hardcover version, and I think it's a pretty clever touch (picture is mine). It makes it look like an old journal or something. If not, well, huh.

oZIMWDA.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
That is called deckle edge. Some modern hardbacks have them.

Huh, I wasn't aware. Is there any reason other than just style/looking cool for going with this kind of look?
This is the first book I've seen with it, and I read/frequent bookstores quite a bit.

Sleepy

Stylistic choice, gives the book an air of "importance"; I think it's supposed to replicate the time when people needed to cut open the pages of the book. I could be badly mistaken about this, though.

Have read any Rudy Rucker? His 'Ware' books are all available free from his website

Software by Rucker is pretty great.

Fjordson

I have heard of Black Man, never heard of those Ware books. Will check out both, though. Thanks guys!

HoJu

After finishing EMBERS, I went onto SOUTH OF THE BORDER, WEST OF THE SUN. Like all of Murakami's work that I've read, I loved it. Though it was his shortest novel, it might be his most focused one.

I'm currently half way through FAREWELL, MY LOVELY (Raymond Chandler).
farewell+my+lovely.jpg

It's good.

Dresden

Daily US Kindle fantasy deal is Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) by Michael J. Sullivan. Never heard of the series before, but the reviews are strong and it's $3. I'm in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XWBUKK/ref=amb_link_378451902_7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1KCSQTXBPEE33TEX1PVZ&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1570597342&pf_rd_i=1000677541

There's a rather infamous (and informative) review of this book that people should check out before buying.

As of this writing, I want to hunt down every single soul associated with the decision to give this series the imprimatur of a major publishing house and rub their noses in it like a bad puppy. Sloppiness in amateurs is understandable. When professionals are involved, there should be consequences. I have words for these people. Bad words. But I'll restrain myself, and restrict my vocabulary to standards acceptable in polite company. The book's own words ought to be enough to condemn it.

I've read bad books. Tedious tie-ins, books that had a good idea and execrable execution, books where the standard of writing barely crossed competent and where clichés swarmed like schools of toothy fish. Thanks to my broad experience and lack of discrimination, Theft of Swords isn't, quite, the absolute worst book I've ever read.

But it loses the prize by a very, very slender margin.

Actual quote from the novel:

Measures thou see art but trifles. Walls, guards and the abyss stand least among the gauntlet. Lo what works of magic ensnare me! Magical locks claim all the doors here as smoke and dream they vanish with passage. (p. 113)

And then check out the comments for additional amusement.

I really like game of thrones so I'm trying out the novels. Talk about a slow read at first. Does it get better? I really enjoy these characters and this world but Martin tends to prattle on and on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom