• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

Aavc83T.jpg

Started this last night, and I'm up to the part where
Eddie is taken by the customs officials after Roland successfully hides the coke
. Man, has this taken an unexpected turn from what I expected after The Gunslinger. At the same time, I should probably expect the unexpected from now on given the drastic change in tone in
The Gunslinger itself, from a western post-apocalypse style to the more traditional fantasy setting with the oracle in the forest and whatnot...

fakefaker

Finished up Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith tonight. Being dropped head first into a murder mystery in the Soviet Union has never been so good. Will have to watch the film.

Next book I think is being turned into a film even tho it's barely out. Now going to read The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey.

17235026.jpg

It's.. interesting? Very weird. Haven't read any of Sawyer's stuff before, but I think I dig it so if anyone has suggestions amongst his other work, lemme know.

I've only read a few of Sawyer's novels, but most of them had really intriguing premises marred by terrible executions. Of the books of his I've read, Hominids was the least offensive and I rather enjoyed it--though not enough to get more than a chapter or two into the next book in the series. I also didn't mind Calculated God most of the time (though the main character's constant expositions about the virtues of Canada to visiting aliens was painful to read). Flashforward is a real god-damned stinker though. The TV show was light years better, and considering how mediocre the TV show was, that says a lot.

Dresden

Read through A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. Very short read - maybe two hours long - and quite good. It's the sort of novel I'd make my children read, if I ever had children.
Then, once they were done, I would tell them solemnly that I had cancer.

It's a cancer novel, about a thirteen year old boy dealing (and not dealing) with the impending death of his mother. It's about the inexorability of it - the grief, the loss - and honesty associated with being true to the feelings you have about it, which isn't all going to be saintly stuff. For people who've ever felt this sort of grief, the trapped, doomed feeling of it, it might resonate a bit. For me it did.

TCRS

Banned
Finished Darth Plagueis. This is one of the best Star Wars books I have read. I love Sith stories and this one does not only deliver on that front, it also ties up that clusterfuck of loose ends from Episode I and II. You understand why the Trade Federation does what it does, why Naboo is important and why it leads to conflict in the galaxy. And the explanations are not done in a lame or contorted way just to tie them together somehow, they are done in an intriguing and plausible way. I always wanted to know more about Intergalactic Banking Clan and you certainly learn more about them here.

Darth Plagueis does have a few weaknesses here and there, but overall James Luceno has done a great job imo. The prologue is a thing of beauty, I think I’ve read it four times now. I can recommend this book to new readers, you don’t need a whole lot of background knowledge to enjoy the story. Though having read the Darth Bane books makes it even better imo (but that just might be me geeking out).

I'm fed up of trying to avoiding spoilers so I started reading the ASOIF series last Sunday. I stupidly thought I could get through all of the books in a week, but I'm only 75% of the way through book 2. I'm most surprised by how Jamie and Tywin have such a diminished presence in the books compared to the show.

309px-Cibola_Burn.jpg

A little over halfway through. So far it's the second best book in the series, tied with Leviathan Wakes. Much better than the third book, which I didn't like very much.

I had no idea this was out. I'm glad to hear it's better than the last one.

ShaneB

Well, it's been officially released in the UK, so there are legal copies available for purchase.

Amazon.co.uk indeed has the kindle version for sale. this is all very wacky. Trying now to see if I can get my kobo account giftcard to buy from the gb site. edit: no go it seems. phooey.

Finished up Console Wars. Really liked it. Never knew how bad Sega of Japan screwed over Sega of America... what could have been. Ah well. Onto Prince of Fools.

Read through A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. Very short read - maybe two hours long - and quite good. It's the sort of novel I'd make my children read, if I ever had children.
Then, once they were done, I would tell them solemnly that I had cancer.

It's a cancer novel, about a thirteen year old boy dealing (and not dealing) with the impending death of his mother. It's about the inexorability of it - the grief, the loss - and honesty associated with being true to the feelings you have about it, which isn't all going to be saintly stuff. For people who've ever felt this sort of grief, the trapped, doomed feeling of it, it might resonate a bit. For me it did.

Ness is great. Love all his stuff.

Wiktor

Finished:
Mrmercedes.jpg

Loved it. I enjoyed most of the recent King novels, but this one was imo by far the best one in a long time. Great characters and spectacular villain. Plus the tension at the end was simply suffocating. Really glad he's going to write two more novels with this lead character.

And now..couple people have recommended it to me so I've started:
15790883.jpg

obin_gam

from February I've read these books (latest one on top left)
YwjZ9HK.png

Only dud I've come across is Nexus: Ascension but otherwise they have all been worth reading.
My favourite of the bunch is The Martian (I cant wait for more books from this guy) and Influx was also really really good. Need to get hold of Daemon asap.

Am now in the beginning of Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King and so far it is very intriguing.

Cade

Only dud I've come across is Nexus: Ascension but otherwise they have all been worth reading.
My favourite of the bunch is The Martian (I cant wait for more books from this guy) and Influx was also really really good. Need to get hold of Daemon asap.

Am now in the beginning of Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King and so far it is very intriguing.

The Martian was great! Picked it up because my librarian saw me returning a sci-fi book and recommended it and there was no real kind way to say no, even though the premise didn't interest me, so I checked it out thinking I'd get a few pages in and stop, but I liked the whole thing. Really enjoyed the ending, even though I was expecting something different.

I've only read a few of Sawyer's novels, but most of them had really intriguing premises marred by terrible executions. Of the books of his I've read, Hominids was the least offensive and I rather enjoyed it--though not enough to get more than a chapter or two into the next book in the series. I also didn't mind Calculated God most of the time (though the main character's constant expositions about the virtues of Canada to visiting aliens was painful to read). Flashforward is a real god-damned stinker though. The TV show was light years better, and considering how mediocre the TV show was, that says a lot.

Oof. Yeah, this book mainly just.. the main character doesn't really have any personality. He just seems like a cookie-cutter noir detective with some really shoehorned gimmicks, too. I'll finish the book but I'm not desperate to read another book by this guy. At the same time I'm just so into sci-fi right now that I wouldn't say no to one either.

Dresden

Thought about tackling The Goldfinch or finally starting Dead Souls. Started reading Eleanor and Park instead, a young adult romance novel.

It turned out to be pretty good--intensely, sentimentally romantic, but the sappiness of the romance is tempered by the author acknowledging (although not necessarily delving into) the many problems with the setting and the time period. The sort of doom that presses down on the couple are societal pressures rather than more mortal ones (domestic abuse and poverty vs. cancer). I wish more was done with Park's insecurities about being Asian in a dominantly white area, but oh well.

Maybe it's because I went through The Black Count recently, but all I could think of as the novel wound down was wait and hope, wait and hope. Their hope is rewarded, so the resolution isn't really bittersweet, just sweet; I thought the former would fit the tone of the novel better, but I didn't think it was sickening or anything. A bittersweet ending would have given the novel what it needed to push it over the top for me; acknowledgement (as Eleanor mentions somewhere in the middle, it's not like they're going to get married) that kids move on, and in new places, will find new love.

Really should start Dead Souls next. Will probably start The Goldfinch instead.

Finished Game Over, Press Start to Continue: How Nintendo Conquered the World and starting Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919

Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919 by Stephen Puleo

I am currently reading several pieces of material about the US in 1900-1919 and am simultaneously amused and horrified at the conditions of period companies that allowed for events like this to happen. I think I'll be adding this one to my reading list.

Taking a break from actual books and read two Daniel Clowes comics last week. Great stuff, if somewhat similar:

wilson-daniel-clowes.jpg

Daniel_Clowes_-_Mister_Wonderful_cover.jpg

Now diving back in Reamde after an extended break. This has been the weakest of Neal Stephenson's books. Feels like an extended version of the Modern Shaftoe sections in Cryptonomicon. I much prefer Anathem.

Finished:
Mrmercedes.jpg

Loved it. I enjoyed most of the recent King novels, but this one was imo by far the best one in a long time. Great characters and spectacular villain. Plus the tension at the end was simply suffocating. Really glad he's going to write two more novels with this lead character.

Interesting. I put this right near the very bottom of everything he's done. Thought it was great at the start, then loses all sense and logic.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Picked up:

HILD_wip.png

from Vroman's on the E3 trip. Wife studied medieval English lit, think she'll enjoy it, too.
I've recently started Hild as well, and I'm really liking it. So far it actually reminds me quite a bit of Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave (although I am still only one third or so into the book so I have no idea if this might change later on!)

FL4TW4V3

Finished

VReGVDBl.jpg

The trilogy is probably the best fantasy epic I've read. Great, memorable characters and interesting twists make for a book I'll come back to someday.

Now I'm starting another fantasy epic

iqNa53hl.png

SolKane

I started on this today:

9781590171646.jpg

It's interesting to read about a German perspective on the war (although technically the book is from the Russian perspective as well). This book is particularly brutal and callous in its depiction of war.

Piecake

I started on this today:

9781590171646.jpg

It's interesting to read about a German perspective on the war (although technically the book is from the Russian perspective as well). This book is particularly brutal and callous in its depiction of war.

So, is your goal to read everything ever written about WWII?

Piecake

I don't think that could be accomplished in a single lifetime. I've been doing a lot of reading about WW2 though as you can tell.

What are some of your favorites, specifically non-fiction? I am a huge history fan so a good book on WWII is always welcome

I haven't posted in the reading thread in about three weeks. In that time I listened to all the "I am number four" books to date. All the Iron Druid Chronicles books to date. A Doctor Who book, Planet of the Daleks. A Torchwood book Army of One. Tried to listen to Mogworld by Yahtzee and Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain.

Necrovex

Besides reading Silmarillion for the Book Club, I decided I wanted to feel some distaste for my home country. Thus I decided to begin reading this bugger:

I'm not even a tenth of the way through, but I am really liking what I have read so far. Plus it's already boiling my blood.

ShaneB

Bought Cibola Burn from the Amazon UK site on Saturday. Went to load the book on my Kobo from Calibre and the format went all crazy =(. Was able to get a refund actually, so no real worries. More impressed I could get the refund that quickly. I'm mainly just upset at seeing the epilogue title (not entirely a big deal, just confirms a fate of a character I suppose) when I was working around the book to see the messed up formatting on my Kobo. Oh well, tomorrow it is and I'll buy with the gift card as planned.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I hope audiobooks are welcome here, I'm a new convert and they're allowing me to be active outdoors and "read" again!

I've been on a Weird Fiction kick of late and have voraciously devoured Robert W. Chamber's "The King in Yellow", Arthur Machen's " The Great God Pan", and some of Robert E. Howard's "Conan" stories.

I've really been having a blast catching these tremendous stories and still not being suck sitting down forever. Librivox.org is amazing!

Wiktor

I hope audiobooks are welcome here, I'm a new convert and they're allowing me to be active outdoors and "read" again!

!

I don't see why they wouldn't. Audiobooks are great. They allowed me to double the ammount of books I can go through each year. They also pretty much killed music for me though :D Why listen to some songs when I could be going through another book? :D

I don't see why they wouldn't. Audiobooks are great. They allowed me to double the ammount of books I can go through each year. They also pretty much killed music for me though :D Why listen to some songs when I could be going through another book? :D

Because the kind of adrenaline i feel when the bloody nine is going full sociopath in the first law books is fun but it isn't the kind of adrenaline I need to exercise effectively.

Wiktor

Because the kind of adrenaline i feel when the bloody nine is going full sociopath in the first law books is fun but it isn't the kind of adrenaline I need to exercise effectively.

Heh. Depends on the excercise :) I switched to audiobooks for all lighter excercises. Runnin, walking, biking, treking, yoga etc.

Nowadays I listed to music solely in two cases. First when I'm working and need to concentrate (soundtracks only though, no lyrics). And second..I do listen to music in a gym when lifting weights, but there I have no choice. The owners are blasting pump up music through the speakers all the time :)

I'm reading this little volume that contains both The Secret Sharer and Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. The Secret Sharer was a nice little short story and I'm about halfway through Heart of Darkness. Good stuff.

Mumei

Audiobooks are great for running. Been doing it for years. ;)

Highly motivating when you really want to know what happens next! "Must... keep... running."

Cyan, I'm not sure if I should tell you this, but.... the audiobook will keep playing even if you stop running.

I am currently reading several pieces of material about the US in 1900-1919 and am simultaneously amused and horrified at the conditions of period companies that allowed for events like this to happen. I think I'll be adding this one to my reading list.
Ok, I'm now about 35% in and confirm that Dark Tide is very good. Love the author's concise style, flow and presentation of information, and the very unusual, interesting topic. Definitely recommend it. (aaaand now I hope this book doesnt take a turn for the worst and make me look like a dick haha)

Absolutely. I for one am going through slowly, but loving, One Summer: America 1927 via audiobook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom