• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2015)

Althane

A4i0l4V.jpg

So, I'm slowly going through the first one. Didn't realize it was a trilogy, was really hoping for some answers. I don't know what about it, but it's a book I'm reading, but not making much progress in. I'll read a chapter or two, and then no read it for a few days, then read another chapter or two.

Pretty much that I want to know the answers, but the road taking me there is long, meandering, and dry.

venne

Data and Goliath by Schneier

Pretty interesting. It looks like I'm on a tracking kick because of the recent Radiolab episode covering the Stingray.

Started Galveston last night and it's pretty good so far.

My boss is 'retiring' on Friday and has been getting his house ready to move. This means dropping off several books that he doesn't want to transport but also doesn't want to donate. Today he dropped off:

Lush Life - Richard Price (wrote on The Wire)
Chesapeake - James A. Michener (read his book on Hawaii a decade or two ago)
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
City of Thieves - David Benioff
Now, Discover Your Strengths - Marcus Buckingham & Donald O. Clifton, Ph. D.

What a menagerie. Also I rode my bike in so getting these home will take a few days!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, I'm slowly going through the first one. Didn't realize it was a trilogy, was really hoping for some answers. I don't know what about it, but it's a book I'm reading, but not making much progress in. I'll read a chapter or two, and then no read it for a few days, then read another chapter or two.

Pretty much that I want to know the answers, but the road taking me there is long, meandering, and dry.

I've only read Spin. I looooooved it, but never felt the need to move onto the sequels. There are enough answers by the end of the novel that I was satisfied with it as a standalone.

BearPawB

Banned

maybe about 2/3 of the way through,
basically i am just SHOCKED how similar it is to King's "Doctor Sleep".

It's like they were sitting around at family dinner and had a bet of who could write a better book involving
supernatural children(/adults now i guess) and vampiric creepy old men

Doctor Sleep I hated everything except when it was explicitly connected to the shining.
Nos4a2 I am liking more, as i think it is capable of being scary, but the plot is pretty simplistic.

eznark

Banned
Does anyone have any recommendations for books about gritty, small town living? Something in the style of William Gay or Richard Russo's Empire Falls? Bonus points if it's set in the early to mid 1900s (but not a necessity by any means).

Everything by Larry Brown. Start with "Father and Son" or "Joe."

max.renn

Neo Member
What in the world is the phrase 'cult videogame' supposed to represent? It sounds horrible.

Finished this one yesterday. I really don't understand what it's supposed to be about. Is it about the man getting old and useless? Is it about him failing at everything? Is it not about anything at all?

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I've never really been able to get into Eggers, I find him too....trendy or pseudo-intellectual haha. But, he wrote a nice introduction to Infinite Jest. And I am somewhat interested in checking out "The Circle", to hear his interpretation of internet culture and it's effects, though I foresee it being a disappointment, goddam predisposed opinions.

BearPawB

Banned
I think you hit the nail on the head.

I've never really been able to get into Eggers, I find him too....trendy or pseudo-intellectual haha. But, he wrote a nice introduction to Infinite Jest. And I am somewhat interested in checking out "The Circle", to hear his interpretation of internet culture and it's effects, though I foresee it being a disappointment, goddam predisposed opinions.

I really enjoyed The Circle, but haven't read anything else by Eggers.

it goes kind of off the rails in the third act, but I thought the psuedo-facebook/google satiric setting pretty great.

max.renn

Neo Member
BTW if anyone is looking for a novel and has not read Don DeLillo's "White Noise," I give it my highest praise. In my opinion he is one of the most important writers living. I find the brilliance of the novel to be the way in which DeLillo utilizes fragmentation and montage to create isolated sequences which are woven together to create a cohesive, refined quilt of contemporary life.

I just reread it for the third time. I would love to hear others opinions if you have read it.

max.renn

Neo Member

it goes kind of off the rails in the third act, but I thought the psuedo-facebook/google satiric setting pretty great.

cool, i'm glad to hear that. I will add it to my list.

It didn't seem like there was a third act. It was more like the middle act of a one-man play that somehow has other people playing some parts.

BTW if anyone is looking for a novel and has not read Don DeLillo's "White Noise," I give it my highest praise. In my opinion he is one of the most important writers living. I find the brilliance of the novel to be the way in which DeLillo utilizes fragmentation and montage to create isolated sequences which are woven together to create a cohesive, refined quilt of contemporary life.

I just reread it for the third time. I would love to hear others opinions if you have read it.

I read and enjoyed it. Agreed that DeLillo is an important writer, but he's also one that holds everything - characters especially - at arm's length. He has a very detached style that I find to be a bit unnerving. In that way, he's not the most accessible writer, but he is excellent.

Necrovex

Completed Age of Ambition tonight. It was a fantastically written overview of the situation in China today. This book was essentially written over an eight year period; the character development between the different sources were intriguing. I understand why The National Book Award for general nonfiction was awarded to this piece of beauty. Anyone who is interested in better understanding China is doing a disservice by not reading this. It has also motivated me to start reading The New Yorker again.

Bad Feminist was another book I had the pleasure of reading. A collection of essays focusing on race and feminism. Gay expresses herself in a sincere sense; I could see her gushing emotions all over her essays. The book is very pop culture heavy, so for someone who is unaware of American popular culture, I would say avoid the book. For everyone else, it was a solid read!

I suppose I should go back to my long winded Russian classic involving three brothers and a drunken dad.

Completed Age of Ambition tonight. It was a fantastically written overview of the situation in China today. This book was essentially written over an eight year period; the character development between the different sources were intriguing. I understand why The National Book Award for general nonfiction was awarded to this piece of beauty. Anyone who is interested in better understanding China is doing a disservice by not reading this. It has also motivated me to start reading The New Yorker again.

I have this on my tbr pile. He was interesting to hear on the This American Life episode about Americans in China. China is a big mystery to me, so I'm looking forward to this.

Setre

Thinking of buying an eReader. Should I get the Kindke Voyage or the new Paperwhite? Me money doesn't matter.

ngower

Thinking of buying an eReader. Should I get the Kindke Voyage or the new Paperwhite? Me money doesn't matter.

From everything I've read (when trying to make the decision myself) the differences between the Paperwhite and Voyage are nominal to the point where it's not really worth the upgrade...but if money's not an issue for you, then go for the best model on the market.

As for books, I'm still trying to wrap up The Martian but needed a break from all the jargon so I'm burning through Belzhar.

Belzhar.jpg

It's alright. I like 90% of it, but the basic premise of her grief is kind of ridiculous considering she knew the dude for roughly a month.

Matty77

Just read the description for "Father and Son" and it sounds like it's exactly what I want. Thanks for the rec.
I'll second this, all Larry Browns books are great but I liked Fay the best.

As for me I am about half to two thirds of the way through Neil Gaiman's Trigger Warnings, the most fun I have had with a short story collection since Joe Hills 20th century ghosts.

Jintor

i'm reading this rather generic fantasy fiction which i think is rather artless but which I'm too lazy to go find a better book

Lumiere

Neo Member
Now that the new Paperwhite has the same resolution there really isn't a lot of difference anymore... that said if money doesn't matter at all I'd still recommend the Voyage, I actually really like PagePress and find myself using them more than touch screen for changing pages - having the option would not hurt :)

Jintor

I have this on my tbr pile. He was interesting to hear on the This American Life episode about Americans in China. China is a big mystery to me, so I'm looking forward to this.

hmmm, seems like a good idea for a read

i also recommend the sinica podcast if you've listened to that TAL episode

I just finished Way of Kings. I loved it. I am planning on reading Words of Radiance pretty soon. Right now I've been reading Saga, and just got past the first volume. I am on the second volume, and so far I really like the comic :)

NEO0MJ

After leaving it on the side for over a month(?) I'm trying to come back to the book of the new sun. So much to review, though :X

Necrovex

After leaving it on the side for over a month(?) I'm trying to come back to the book of the new sun. So much to review, though :X

This is on my to-read list but I'm horrified to start reading it after hearing some reviews about its inaccessibility.

NEO0MJ

This is on my to-read list but I'm horrified to start reading it after hearing some reviews about its inaccessibility.

My biggest tip for you is to never stop reading. I finished half the first book and left it and now deeply regret that. There are a lot of characters and details that you might have to keep track of, as well as geography and history. I feel that it's a really spacial book, but you gotta put in the work.

Paganmoon

Just recently finished
22739835.jpg

The Slow Regard of Silent Things, by Patrick Rothfuss, which I did not like at all. It felt like he was trying out a stream of consciousness type thing, or something in the vein of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide, but without any of the humor, it was just an exercise in randomness, and it really fell flat.
Now the author's foreword does state that "you might not like this book", and that "the book isn't for everyone", but it doesn't mean it's not a pretty bad book, just cause the author meant for it to be this way.

Started reading
25664331.jpg

Nemesis Games, by the duo of James S.A. Corey yesterday, and it's the same old pulpy space opera that I've come to expect of the Expanse series, with its Mary Sue characters, that are the best of the best in their fields (and the best at almost anything else they try to do), with their pretty 2D RPG character archetypes, and morals.
Though as always, it's entertaining, like a weekly TV Series.

8bit

Knows the Score
I am in the third act and want to stop. While I like Stephenson because I'm a nerd, he's not the best writer in the world once he has to focus on characters, plot, etc.

I've just finished it, and I have to say that section is a bit challenging to get through.

Full on spoilers for Seveneves:

This was my big complaint as well. After all the struggle and turmoil of the first two parts of the novel, the realization that it all amounted to only eight surviving members of the human race was a powerful and profound feeling. Learning that there was not one, but two other surviving groups of humans really undercut that feeling. I half expected it to be revealed that the purpose of the Purpose was regaining contact with a third group of surviving humans on Mars... I also didn't buy that the Diggers could still resemble a familiar human society after spending 5,000 years in those conditions.

I still really enjoyed the first two parts, more for the interesting info dumps rather than the prose. Also as much as I disliked the YAification of everyone into distinct groups (there's no way those "races" would remain distinct after the time they spent on the cradle) I did enjoy the glimpses back into the previous generations. I wish there was more of that and less of what we actually got in part 3. I know we probably needed some sort of plot to carry the story, but I wasn't a fan of what we actually got.

Still, I enjoyed it for the info-dump and I would gladly read a follow-up novel covering the history of the pingers. If anything it would make for some good info dumps.

Spoiler free review:
I enjoyed my time with it overall.

Yeah, mostly agreed.
Surprised the Martians didn't figure, and I'd like to go back to the submarine bits to look for any hints of the pingers but the last third was a challenge and quite exhausting to be honest.

Gnome

I'm about 200 pages into The Way of Kings and really enjoying it so far.

I've been reading other fantasy series as I wait for Doors of Stone and Winds of Winter. I'm feeling that The Way of Kings has a chance at becoming one of my favorite fantasy even though I didn't care for Sanderson's Mistborn series.

Just wanted to give fair warning that it's all but guaranteed Amazon will put out a new Kindle model in early October. I haven't heard anything specifically but that has been the case for the past few years now. Having said that though I can't imagine them making anything much better than the paperwhite.

Edit: oh and I can't recommend enough the official Amazon cover with the auto on/sleep function.

Just wanted to give fair warning that it's all but guaranteed Amazon will put out a new Kindle model in early October. I haven't heard anything specifically but that has been the case for the past few years now. Having said that though I can't imagine them making anything much better than the paperwhite.

Edit: oh and I can't recommend enough the official Amazon cover with the auto on/sleep function.

It's possible that the basic or Voyage might get a boost, but the Paperwhite just got an upgrade out of nowhere. I see it as unlikely.

EDIT: I'm reading 2061: Odyssey Three. Waiting for the plot to kick in.

Jag

Been playing The Witcher 3 for the past few days and loved the lore and world so much that I decided I need to get onto the books. Really enjoying it so far.

I did the same thing and went into it not knowing anything about the books. What I found was Last Wish and Sword of Destiny have important bits for Witcher 3. Last Wish has Yennefer's origin and Sword of Destiny has the Geralt/Ciri pre-story, both as short stories. However, Blood of Elves is really where Ciri's story starts and expands.

eznark

Banned
I am in the third act and want to stop. While I like Stephenson because I'm a nerd, he's not the best writer in the world once he has to focus on characters, plot, etc.

I chose to view the Seven Eves meeting as the end of the book after a few pages into the third act. No thanks.

Necrovex

My biggest tip for you is to never stop reading. I finished half the first book and left it and now deeply regret that. There are a lot of characters and details that you might have to keep track of, as well as geography and history. I feel that it's a really spacial book, but you gotta put in the work.

Now I'm scared, I have a tendency to read other books in between long novels. I hit a major fatigue when it comes to reading a long novel without a break.

Reading Mason & Dixon for the second time. I'd it's my favorite Pynchon novel. It seems to be the most intimate and have the most heart, while not neglecting all the more grandiose/philosophical themes of his other work.

eznark

Banned
Started to get serious about golf again and watched some of Ledbetter's videos on the alternate swing, so I picked up the book. Have yet to crack it open.

51pmUl2jMCL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finished Elon Musk. I enjoyed it despite finding the discussion of his childhood to be completely bizarre. It was really a mostly superficial look at his companies, which I enjoyed.

51IQzkj0+NL._SL300_.jpg

So far.....eh

51rjrMmJTkL._SL300_.jpg

ShaneB

I'll probably read a golf book or two soon as well, since going to the driving range for the first time in years really got me back into things.

Never really sure what to read next, but really in a physical book mood these days. I'll read this next.

Adrift by Steven Callahan
18611305.jpg

Started to get serious about golf again and watched some of Ledbetter's videos on the alternate swing, so I picked up the book. Have yet to crack it open.

51pmUl2jMCL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Report back on this. I'm always interested in different approaches. I have a buddy who when to his academy in Florida; he can hit the piss out of the ball, but he sprays it everywhere...

Speaking of alternate swings, there's a guy on the Champions tour who never takes anywhere near even a 3/4 swing, and he competes, so there's no one right way to do it...

Nuke Soda

Read Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, wasn't half bad. Biggest complaint is that not much really happens though. Still interesting enough, will check out the second book.

I was banned for a while so I read a bunch of books:
Freakonomics - funny stuff in this book, the chapter on drug dealers was fascinating and funny
Unbroken - mind blowing story!
The Introvert's way
Blink The Power of Thinking without thinking - amazing!
Models -a comprehensive guide to attracting women (good book with good advice similar to whats in the dating thread)
Think like a freak

currently reading
seveneves

Piecake

I just finished listening to this and it was absolutely fantastic. It also provided me with the most convincing and compelling explanations for the fall of the Western Roman Empire that I have heard. I honestly havent read too much on the Roman Empire so the explanation might be well known, but it wasnt well known to me.

The argument is that the fall of the Western Roman Empire was due to population decline that started around the 2nd century AD due to temperature change that impacted crops and new diseases. The evidence for this is archaeological as well as in documents. There is a clear pattern of degradation of cities starting from that point and Roman laws and proclumations becoming increasingly obsessive over not having enough people on the farms and in the cities. The constant fighting and civil wars also likely helped the spread of disease and increased the death toll. And this loss of population is not an insigificant amount. We are talking about numbers in the 10s of millions of people.

This started a cascading effect that destroyed the Western Roman Empire. Roman taxes were based on land, and with millions of less people taxes were greatly reduced. This caused economic hardship and was probably one of the reasons why Emperors started debasing their currency, which really fucked over their economy. Another consequence was that it resulted in the depopulation of cities, which was the heart of Roman culture and political control. Europe was becoming a less Urban society starting from the 2nd century, not the 5th.

Therefore, Rome was simply not able to defend itself against the barbarian invasions because of they had significantly less people and a shit economy. Rome obviously made that worse by having such a unstable political system and conastat civil wars.

Another key factor is that the barbarians did not invade Rome to rape and pillage and destroy. They actually wanted to settle there and greatly admired Roman culture. This can be seen in the Visagoth Spain, Lombard Italy, and Frankish Gaul. They retained Roman institutions and culture. The main issue, was that there simply wasnt the population and economy now to support an urban population, which was the basis for Roman society. A population decline that started well before the fall of the Roman Empire.

Therefore, we shouldnt see this as oh those great and illustrious Romans and the evil barbarians, and bemone the fall of Civilization due to avoidable forces, but a decline in urban culture due to disease and population decline. Culture still exists, it just became more and more localized and rural. And personally, I'd take manorial serfdom over slavery any day.

Why the, did the West fall and not the East? Well, the speaker makes a very good point that it is simply geography, population and wealth. The West simply had a lot more border to defend than the East. They also were much poorer and had less population. This situation was exacerbated by the reforms of Diocletian who split the empire. Well, the west could no longer rely on the population and the wealth of the East. Simply put, the East survived because it could better defend against invasions and was better able to cope with the depopulation forces that were weakening the West.

The speaker suggests, then, that we should see the periods from 2nd-7th century AD as a decline in urban culture and economy for Europe. It was only until the 8th century that Europe started to recover, thanks to Viking and Islamic trade networks that stimulated European economy, feudalism and manorial agriculture that improved productivity and simply a general uptick in population.

Recently finished:
16328.jpg
15704459.jpg
472331.jpg

I enjoyedThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd quite a bit. The reveal made me a bit angry at first, but when I went back and reread key sections it all made sense. It was all very well constructed.

Firefight was a great sequel to Steelheart, though certain things about the series are now grating. Namely David. I just don't like him much and many of his habits are very annoying. His stupid metaphors for example. I'm still not sure how I feel about Mitosis being referenced so dang much in the book despite being an interlude story. And I'd really like the next book not to start with an Epic fight, haha.
I did love the
imagery provided by Babylon Restored. Damn can Sanderson imagine some really cool stuff. This was like a Wind Waker meets Jet Set Radio city filled with superheroes. Very cool.
I look forward to the final installment.

Watchmen was ugh. I couldn't get into it and it was a slog for me the entire way. Maybe I just don't like American comics. I can definitely appreciate it for what it is and represents in the genre, but it's really not my thing.

I'm off to Spain tomorrow so I've ambitiously loaded my Kindle with Don Quixote and The Sun Also Rises. :p

Necrovex

I need to light up the Mumei signal to find a particular book he read about the American slave trade. I remember one he loved from last year but I can't recall the name of it. Help me out, Mummi!

Top Bottom