• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2015)

O.DOGG

Finally finished The Swallow's Tower, moving on to The Lady of the Lake, which is split into two volumes for some reason.

I just finally read Stoner after seeing it reccomended in these threads month after month. It's been awhile since I've read for fun, I forgot how much I enjoy reading fiction. The whole book, and especially the end were so emotional, the scenes between Stoner and his wife and Lomax were difficult to read at times. The regret and self-reflection at the end were just crushing.

It's an amazing book, but there's one thing I'm not clear about though. What was the deal with Edith when they got married? She goes from seemingly ambivalent towards Stoner (aside from the one scene where she opens up) to wanting to get married in an instant, and she's in a hurry to do it. I was convinced that she was pregnant by someone it would be socially unacceptable for her to openly be with, or the father had skipped town, or something like that. The scene where Stoner's father seems suspicious of her seemed to confirm this to me, but nothing came of it. I'm assuming that
Edith had a horrible home life and got married to escape exactly like Grace would later do
, but I'm wondering if I missed something.

I also wonder what the hell Walker had on Lomax. Doesn't really matter, but man, the scene where Walker is evaluated to see if he can continue in the program was infuriating.

I honestly did not come to that pregnancy conclusion. Its been too long for me to really remember the details so I can't tell you if it makes sense or not. I took her to be very sheltered and naive. She had a picture in her head what it was like to be married and thought it would be exactly like that, where she was loved, spoiled, taken care of and everything was a fairy tale.

When it was not like that. It was hard work and dirty. One conclusion that I came to that no one who I have talked to have seen or really agreed with was that the main reason why his wife rejected him so completely after they first had sex was that she depicted that act as rape, as a defilement. She did not want to do it and was not ready to do it, but Stoner forced it upon her anyway and she never forgave him because it completely ruined her fairy tale picture of marriage.

Wasn't it also kind of implied that she was abused by her father? That's what I took away from her reaction when her father died and she threw away all the stuff she got from him.
It was never implicitly stated but I got the impression she suffered from bi-polar disorder. Never once are her moods or behaviors those of a mentally healthy, social adult.

Are there any modern, great coming of age stories like To Kill A Mockingbird or Catcher in the Rye?
I'd put The Secret History in this category. Also, and far less well know, Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. Both The Virgin Suicides and Middlesex by Eugenides. Junot Diaz's Oscar Wao.

I'd put The Secret History in this category. Also, and far less well know, Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. Both The Virgin Suicides and Middlesex by Eugenides. Junot Diaz's Oscar Wao.

Shoot - totally forgot Skippy Dies, which is a desert island book for me. By the way, Skippy does in fact die - IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE TITLE.

It took Murray 7 years to write, and it shows. It's also a great view of adult disillusion...

Shoot - totally forgot Skippy Dies, which is a desert island book for me. By the way, Skippy does in fact die - IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE TITLE.

It took Murray 7 years to write, and it shows. It's also a great view of adult disillusion...
I just got sent a copy of his latest book as well...

O.DOGG

That's odd that they did that. Wonder where the split happens.

Well, the last chapter of volume one ends after Chapter 7 if that means anything to you. I have no idea why they did it either. It seems that the two volumes together are not much longer than The Swallow's Tower.

RDreamer

Well, the last chapter of volume one ends after Chapter 7 if that means anything to you. I have no idea why they did it either. It seems that the two volumes together are not much longer than The Swallow's Tower.

Hah, just looked at it. I suppose that is probably the best spot in the entire book to split it. Makes sense in a way, though the first part definitely ends on a bit of a big cliffhanger. The whole saga kind of does that, though.

I'm guessing they just wanted a bit more money from the translation and that's one way of doing it.

Uzzy

Just finished The Narrow Road to the Deep North, by Richard Flanagan. Masterpiece doesn't do it justice. Such beautiful writing.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reading Rudiger Safranski's Nietzsche, A Philosophical Biography. I don't read biographies very often, but I very much enjoyed his book on Heidegger, and I do this partly as research as I may be writing a biography myself come autumn (if I get a bit lucky with funding and such). Safranski writes biographies that are focused on works and thoughts, and less on myths, trivia and anecdotes, which I think is the main reason his books appeals to me.

Piecake

She did become extremely sexual when she decided she wanted a kid though. The book mentions that she was raised to view having sex as a sort of martial duty, and not something that you do for pleasure. Clearly she wasn't ready and didn't enjoy it but I don't think that's why their marriage failed.

I think that was just another part of her image of a proper marriage and was trying to see if a kid would fix it

Wasn't it also kind of implied that she was abused by her father? That's what I took away from her reaction when her father died and she threw away all the stuff she got from him.

huh, I don't remember that. Interesting theory and that does kinda make sense

It was never implicitly stated but I got the impression she suffered from bi-polar disorder. Never once are her moods or behaviors those of a mentally healthy, social adult.

She is a very odd person and confusing person that it is really hard to get a handle on what she is thinking and why she is doing the things she is doing. I think that definitely fits, but a lot of interpretations seem to fit because I don't think we ever truly get a chance to understand her besides a few hints.

ShaneB

Going to start this next. Think a bunch of my next reads will be a bunch of physical books I've picked up recently in the bargain.

The World's Strongest Librarian by Josh Hanagarne
16101121.jpg

Finished this last night. Loved it. Definitely gets a recommendation from me. Gave it 5/5 with my goodreads review blurb.

Going to start this next, something I've actually thought to read for a while, and kinda wanted to check out the movie, but thought I'd rather just read the book finally. Bought the physical copy for my Dad, and now I'll give it a go.
12262741.jpg

Jotthah

At the moment I'm working my way through the complete works of Boris&Arkadi Strugatzki.
I'm on Part 3 of 5 (each part contais 4-5 books), right now it's a really great story about the devil employing an insurance salesman to get people to sell their souls :D

Boring Coverart though:
351_52685_96869_xl.jpg

Chris R

Hehe I totally missed you actually reading that precise book right now... I guess that's the problem with naming a book "It"... lol

Some other recommendations:

11/22/63 - it's awesome
Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers
Dolores Claiborne
The Eyes of the Dragon

I read 11/22/63 last year on vacation. It was great outside of the ending. I'm just glad the ending of It wasn't so bad.

I had a moment where
I thought everything would go to shit with Bev's husband showing up. I'm glad he didn't really cause much trouble, but was kinda bummed he didn't cause ANY trouble outside of kidnapping Bill's wife. Also wish the group would have taken him down instead of him just dying by seeing It.

Now to track down and watch whatever visual versions I can find of the King works I've read over the past year.

ngower

Have any of you nerds read Infinite Jest? Or tried to?

I haven't read anything by DFW but I've been listening to some interviews of his lately and I find him very very interesting. I studied philosophy in college, so I'm not turned off by the density of the language, but I am worried with it maybe being too challenging to actually bring myself to read it daily?

Just wondering for those who have read it, how did you go about reading it? Casual glances at the book on your morning commute, or making time to read it, etc?

Mumei

I'm working my way through Outlander rather slowly at the moment. I would be reading it faster, but I'm trying to get overtime at work right now so it's cutting into things. D:

I haven't read anything by DFW but I've been listening to some interviews of his lately and I find him very very interesting. I studied philosophy in college, so I'm not turned off by the density of the language, but I am worried with it maybe being too challenging to actually bring myself to read it daily?

Just wondering for those who have read it, how did you go about reading it? Casual glances at the book on your morning commute, or making time to read it, etc?
I've read it twice. I'm not sure it's as good as I think it thinks it is (if that makes sense), but it's an achievement, for sure. It's hugely dense. It's very challenging in places. Some of it is excruciatingly boring (though that is the point, and it's never less than exceptionally written). You absolutely cannot dip in and dip out. It'll lose you, and you it.

The easier thing to do would be to read The Pale King. Then (because if you like Wallace, you'll never get enough) you'll read IJ or you won't. IJ *is* as brilliant as people think it is (at least that's what I think), but it's a lot to chew, and I don't think it's true genius can really be taken in on first reading.

Wallace is, first and foremost, incredibly readable. He's not Joyce. It's 100 pages of footnotes that make him 'difficult'. And footnotes that have footnotes that have footnotes.

I could go on and on...

Just started the Sellout.

lkX2s2C.jpg

Almost put it down after reading the prologue, the tone of that intro section is really annoying and scattershot. Every other paragraph is a random tangential mini-rant. After a few pages I wanted to tell the author "OK, I get it, you're clever, you're anti-establishment, now get on with what your book is about."

First chapter picks up though, I'm liking it now.

Lanark

If you want to start with IJ, make sure to clear you schedule for the next 2 months. I'm usually quite a fast reader, but IJ took me a long time. The book is incredibly dense, but so worth it. It's probably my favorite book of all time, but it can be hard work.

If you want to get your feel of DFW, it might be better to start with some shorter work. A Supposedly Fun Thing I Never Do Again is a great collection of non-fiction, Oblivion doesn't get much love, but it's my favorite short story collection.

This month I read Trapped in the Mirror - it is a case study style book about children who were raised by narcissistic parents.
37566.jpg

Very fascinating to see different outputs of broken behavior.

I also started reading Jorge Luis Borges' collected fictions:
51-r5H5xvML._UY250_.jpg

I love the meandering way he forms his stories.

Read Infinite Jest if you like extremely long novels about boring characters that are mostly just one-dimensional avatars of the author's solipsistic neuroses doing "wacky" things in poorly-wrought, pointless description-stuffed, banality-soaked sentences. Or tennis.

TTG

Read Infinite Jest if you like extremely long novels about boring characters that are mostly just one-dimensional avatars of the author's solipsistic neuroses doing "wacky" things in poorly-wrought, pointless description-stuffed, banality-soaked sentences. Or tennis.

Your face is a banality soaked sentence.

Maybe his essays/articles are a better place to start. Search for some stuff from Consider the Lobster, a lot of it is available from the original publications online(for free). It will give you an idea of what his writing is like.

As far as a viable way of reading the book, you will have to give it some attention. I don't agree with the notion that it's some literary Everest, months have to be set aside, highlighters purchased and reading guides assiduously consulted. There's plenty of other stuff out there that's harder to get into and I'm not talking some obscure shit that's on the fringe. I would try to get the electronic version if that's an option. There is a wide cast of characters and some seldom used words, both are easily remedied via perfunctory poke at the screen to look up the meaning of a word or recall a name.

That's really it. And there are a few(and I mean few) chapters that miss and drag out, unfortunately two of them are very early. I suppose that's why I mention the non fiction stuff. 25 pages don't spoil the other 1000, but it's nice to have enough familiarity with a writer's work to have a bit of a tolerance.

EDIT: About DFW being boring and difficult, he sometimes is. However, the pervading tone is charming and funny. Observe: https://youtu.be/GwS5pEfcQNk?t=42s

dakini

Recently finished A Clockwork Orange and I wasn't fond of it. Although I eventually adapted to the Nadsat slang in the book, I felt like I never truly understood the book on a deeper level because of it. I also thought the last chapter was unnecessary and didn't fit in with Alex's character at all. Apparently, the US version was originally released without the last chapter.

The most interesting part of the book was after Alex had been released from prison after undergoing the treatment to make him ill whenever he thought about committing violence. On one hand he did some absolutely terrible things, but the way he was treated by those after he got released almost made me feel sorry for him. I also don't know if I was reading it correctly, but it seemed to me that Dim and Billy didn't just beat him up, but they raped him as well. I may have been misinterpreting the slang tho.

I'm currently reading both The Trial by Franz Kafka and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Necrovex

My charger officially broke for my MacBook (hooray for living in rural South Africa!), so I'll be putting more of my resources back into reading. I will finish Bad Feminist today, and I'll switch over to the National Book Award Winning Nonfiction, Age of Ambitions. I'll be going to an African library today, so I'm excited to see which books will be available in English.

Cade

I finally finished The Gunslinger. First parts were really good and then petered out into mediocrity. Solid three stars but I thought I'd love it judging by what I liked in other King stuff and the setting. Onto the second book, The Drawing of The Three, but not super hyped

Finished A Little Life a few days ago and I'm still trying to absorb and process it.

I can absolutely recognize that it may have been unnecessarily schmaltzy and maudlin and melodramatic in places, but that certainly didn't hamper my enjoyment. Of course I say enjoyment, but what I really mean is almost endless suffering. Without a doubt it's the bleakest book I've ever read. There are of course happy moments and I welcomed them, but they're ultimately lost in all the misery. The final four chapters were some of the hardest for me to get through. I found myself empathizing with Jude on a new level. I wanted it to end too (the book, not his life.) I wanted a surcease of the permeative sorrow. I wanted a reprieve. The constant barrage of abuse he endured during his childhood, that it stayed with him for the rest of his life is definitely the most heartbreaking thing in a book full of heartbreaking things. His inability to ever completely trust anyone, believing that he's worthless no matter how much he's accomplished, no matter how much everyone else says otherwise. His utter internal brokenness that no one could ever hope to repair just like his body. The peeks into his past offering unfathomable glimpses of humanity at some of its worst while his unbreakable bond with Willem, their enduring relationship proffering relatively infinitesimal flashes of its best.

Ultimately, I am so glad I read this book. It was emotionally exhausting getting through that final stretch, but it was more than worth it. It's easily the best book I've read this year and its status as an emergent great gay novel is well deserved even if nearly everything about it is the antithesis of gay.

Well, I do like tennis. You've convinced me.

Pocks

After reading Sanderson's TWoK and WoR, I read Fear and Loathing. I moved back to Sanderson with Warbreaker. I'm about half way through it and enjoying it, though maybe not quite as much as the Stormlight Archives.

HxObZel.png

I have finished Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

113.jpg

My opinion (spoilers for the whole book):

Another uneven outing after Stephenson's REAMDE, but in different ways. REMADE's problem was that it was too slow, kinda boring, and lacked tension - especially the second half - but it was funny as hell. Seveneves is much shorter and less funny than his usual fare, but also has insanely fast pacing - jumping years into the future and accelerating as the story progresses. This starts out as a strength but eventually becomes a weakness, as the intense amount of technical detail begins to feel nonessential.

Seveneves is about the human race surviving after the explosion of the moon sets the Earth's sky on fire. It's hard to say that's what the book is about when you first dive into it, but that's the singular focus. The characters and their emotions are generally irrelevant and are typically only illuminated when it matters to the Survival Of The Species. Stephenson spends time establishing the characters and you do feel for them, especially when they're acting out some harebrained scheme involving complicated physics the book will not shy away from impressing upon you. This is probably the better parts of the novel, along with shwoing off cool technology, solving nifty problems with inventive solutions, and establishing the short term impact of their decisions or mistakes.

The long term impact is established in the latter third of the book - "5000 years later" - which devolves into grabbing tropes from YA dystopian territory. The seven eves created seven races - I expected that. I didn't expect it to become the entire focal point of every paragraph, used as a crutch to explain character motivations, and to dominate a great deal of the final plot. Every character is only a representative from their race - and every act they take is indicative of their race in some way. You can't have a sentence with a verb without mentioning why that verb is "Ivyn" or what have you.

Just as silly and ridiculous, the two groups of humans who we knew of that attempted to survive on Earth: they survived in very odd, unbelievable ways. It seemed very hackneyed, forcing some sort of ending or conflict so that the book could end. Sorry Stephenson. I still love you. Not his weakest book, and I liked the shades of Clarke and Asimov, but a middling outing.

If you want a short, non spoilery summary of my opinion:
An OK outing from Stephenson, with wicked fast pacing, cool tech discussion and a middling third act.

As far as a viable way of reading the book, you will have to give it some attention. I don't agree with the notion that it's some literary Everest, months have to be set aside, highlighters purchased and reading guides assiduously consulted.

Right, but I will say this. Once you read it and then start consulting the work that has grown up around it, it's really stunning how many references and such are missed on a first reading. IJ isn't a meandering mess, even though it might look like it on first glance.

I have finished Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

113.jpg

My opinion (spoilers for the whole book):

Another uneven outing after Stephenson's REAMDE, but in different ways. REMADE's problem was that it was too slow, kinda boring, and lacked tension - especially the second half - but it was funny as hell. Seveneves is much shorter and less funny than his usual fare, but also has insanely fast pacing - jumping years into the future and accelerating as the story progresses. This starts out as a strength but eventually becomes a weakness, as the intense amount of technical detail begins to feel nonessential.

Seveneves is about the human race surviving after the explosion of the moon sets the Earth's sky on fire. It's hard to say that's what the book is about when you first dive into it, but that's the singular focus. The characters and their emotions are generally irrelevant and are typically only illuminated when it matters to the Survival Of The Species. Stephenson spends time establishing the characters and you do feel for them, especially when they're acting out some harebrained scheme involving complicated physics the book will not shy away from impressing upon you. This is probably the better parts of the novel, along with shwoing off cool technology, solving nifty problems with inventive solutions, and establishing the short term impact of their decisions or mistakes.

The long term impact is established in the latter third of the book - "5000 years later" - which devolves into grabbing tropes from YA dystopian territory. The seven eves created seven races - I expected that. I didn't expect it to become the entire focal point of every paragraph, used as a crutch to explain character motivations, and to dominate a great deal of the final plot. Every character is only a representative from their race - and every act they take is indicative of their race in some way. You can't have a sentence with a verb without mentioning why that verb is "Ivyn" or what have you.

Just as silly and ridiculous, the two groups of humans who we knew of that attempted to survive on Earth: they survived in very odd, unbelievable ways. It seemed very hackneyed, forcing some sort of ending or conflict so that the book could end. Sorry Stephenson. I still love you. Not his weakest book, and I liked the shades of Clarke and Asimov, but a middling outing.

If you want a short, non spoilery summary of my opinion:
An OK outing from Stephenson, with wicked fast pacing, cool tech discussion and a middling third act.

Because I want to read it eventually, I only read your summary. I'm shocked, shocked I say, to hear the
ending isn't that good

Aiii

So not worth it
Nemesis Games (Expanse #5) by James S.A. Corey
22886612.jpg

Just finished this (audiobook), (very) mild spoilers so tagged for those reading:
Lets begin by saying what a delight it was to hear Jefferson Mays return to the series after the last book, which offered narration that made me switch to the text version instead. Mays quickly shows he hasn't missed a beat and falls back into all the familiar voices we've come to know from his previous readings. Absolutely outstanding work, especially -once again- when conveying the Belter accents and language, which has always been a pleasure to hear.

So far every book in the series has had a story that started and neatly wrapped up at the end of the book, introducing several new characters each book and placing Holden and the Rocinante in the middle of said story, thus tying it to the overall story of the universe and the Protomolecule. This story makes a departure from this idea, instead of focussing on an adventure, it very much focusses on the main cast, changing all the POV characters to Holden and the remaining three members of the Rocinante's crew. Giving each character some much needed background and emotional depth that had been lacking from Holden's sole POV in the previous book. Especially Naomi benefits greatly from the added depth to her character, which immediately turned her into my favorite crewmember so far.

As for the overarching story, this book departs in some ways in that it appears to be mostly about rebooting and embarking on a new overarching story, after wrapping up the Miller/Protomolecule storyline in the fourth book. Setting up the new universe by upending our own solar system's bases of power of UN's Earth, Mars and The Belt, while introducing some new power players as The Ring changes the outlook of many peoples lives. As such, I felt the book didn't end in as much of a climax as the previous books did, leaving many open ends to wrap up in the following books and to be honest, this seems to be the right choice for the series, along with focussing on the Rocinante's crew and reintroducing the best POV characters as side-characters for this story. Given how we've spent so much time in this universe already I hope we can spend the rest of the series in this narrative, focussing on the main characters and the overarching story, rather than relying on what we would call a "monster-of-the-week" narrative in TV-shows for each book.

All in all, this results in a book which story ends up setting up a great narrative for the continuation of the series, while providing some outstanding character work for the Rocinante and side-characters. One can only hope the next book will stick to this and keep the POV's as is and focus mainly on the evolvement of the universe, rather than return to the previously used format of introducing new characters and semi-contained one-book stories.

Full on spoilers for Seveneves:

This was my big complaint as well. After all the struggle and turmoil of the first two parts of the novel, the realization that it all amounted to only eight surviving members of the human race was a powerful and profound feeling. Learning that there was not one, but two other surviving groups of humans really undercut that feeling. I half expected it to be revealed that the purpose of the Purpose was regaining contact with a third group of surviving humans on Mars... I also didn't buy that the Diggers could still resemble a familiar human society after spending 5,000 years in those conditions.

I still really enjoyed the first two parts, more for the interesting info dumps rather than the prose. Also as much as I disliked the YAification of everyone into distinct groups (there's no way those "races" would remain distinct after the time they spent on the cradle) I did enjoy the glimpses back into the previous generations. I wish there was more of that and less of what we actually got in part 3. I know we probably needed some sort of plot to carry the story, but I wasn't a fan of what we actually got.

Still, I enjoyed it for the info-dump and I would gladly read a follow-up novel covering the history of the pingers. If anything it would make for some good info dumps.

Spoiler free review:
I enjoyed my time with it overall.

G-Fex

I don't know if it counts technically but i'm starting to read the 'sample' before I full on purchase this book.

v92QvPC.jpg

Unlike my last book I read which focused solely on a baseball card. This one is a little all over the place in the beginning but it starts retelling a history of the sport soon enough by 3rd chapter in.

Not growing up with Baseball It can be difficult to relate as i'm not a veteran fan.

Because I want to read it eventually, I only read your summary. I'm shocked, shocked I say, to hear the
ending isn't that good

Yeah, I know. I don't have a lot of good things to say about REAMDE, but it was probably Stephenson's best climax. It's probably the primary reason why I don't hate the book for wasting my time.

Just finished Never Let Me Go. I quite liked it, though not as much as Remains of the Day. It carries this wonderfully quiet, poignant atmosphere and has many well-observed social interactions, all of which are achieved through the book's intimate focus. This is a double-edged sword, though, because it never feels like the book really opens up or hits the dramatic moments that such a character-driven novel calls for. It's a series of anti-climaxes, and purposefully so. These can be (and sometimes are) powerful in their own right, but the book starts stacking these mysteries central to the overarching plot and the payoff, including the central moral question asked at the ending, just doesn't feel as strong or important as in, say, The Remains of the Day. It's a hard thing to describe -- what I'm left with isn't really dissatisfaction so much as a feeling of calm content, except that I don't want to feel just "calm" after reading a 300 page novel. Lovely book that seemingly and purposefully never quite gets off the ground, for better AND for worse. I wish I felt more strongly about it, though I'm certainly glad I read it.

Siegcram

Yoshikawa+Musashi-Roman.jpg

After getting caught up on Vagabond I found the motivation to make my way through Yoshikawa's epic. Great read so far. Hard to find a copy though.

51qRUg2E4XL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And a bit more modern fighting on the side after getting it recommended constantly.

Nymerio

I finsished 'Blindsight' and liked it. I'm pretty sure I'll read the following books but it didn't grip me that much so I'm going to take a break. My favourite thing about the book was Sarasti.
I really liked the idea the predator idea and I wish we'd have read more about the vampires. The idea of the highly developed life forms without conciousness was pretty neat as well.

I'm going to start 'The Echo' next.

18664985.jpg

The description I read here reminded me very much of 'Ship of Fools' which I loved very much. Looking forward to this.

Top Bottom