• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2015)

Donos

q5PRM08.jpg

Instead of trying the Malazan side books i decided to head into the Revelation Space Series.My mood was for more Sci-Fi. Already chewed through 1/4 in one night and i like it.

Mumei

Just for Cyan, I wrote an article about how Terry Brooks saved epic fantasy.

It's actually more about my personal experience with Brooks' work and how he made me fall in love with fantasy after Tolkien introduced me to it.

I'll read this with interest tonight. I read the first novel at a friend's request about six or seven years ago, and it didn't click for me. I think it might have to be something you grew up with.

Smithy C

Is the Southern Reach Trilogy any good? Seems like something I might be in to, but three books is a lot of books for someone that doesn't read too many books.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Good, although the ending might be unfulfilling depending on the kind of reader you are.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Soutern Reach exploded on BookGAF just a few months ago. It's one of those things that's hard to put down once you get into it, so if anything, it's a good way to become a dedicated reader if you're not.

survivor

Banned
9iCFusC.jpg
UBXxHPg.jpg

Finished reading Stoner, loved it. Just like Augustus, John Williams decided to conclude the novel with an old man looking back over his life though in this case it was pretty brief, and not filled with any notable accomplishments. Also this book helped me confirm my decision to not pursue grad school, fuck that nonsense.

Also finally got around to finish the Foundation trilogy with Second Foundation. This was quite different. I didn't picture the series becoming psychological mind battles between what are clearly wizards. Still Asimov managed to bring the political planning and outwitting in the second half. I have got to say the second foundation teasing was too much for me, couldn't put the book down until I found the answer.

Anyway, I'm not sure I will bother the sequels Foundation novels, I'm not a big fan of the psychics powers aspects he is introducing to the series. It does add a good contrast to the first foundation and justifies the existence of the second, but this whole "all according to keikaku" is getting a bit too ridiculous. I might try out the prequels however, whenever I'm done with the Robots books.

Honestly you could just read Annihilation on its own if you want. It's by far the best of the three and it contains a pretty complete main character arc. You have to be okay with leaving a lot of stuff unexplained but if you're not cool with that then Authority and Acceptance aren't going to be any more satisfying.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Stoner was so good and so sad.

Made me think a lot about life and the end of it.

Reading "The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" and I like it. Chabon is so good.

Cade

What was here, Atraveller!? What words were these?

--
I finished If on a winter's night a traveler and came away annoyed more than anything. So many insanely long sentences without meaning and such a good premise that ultimately was just meandering and boring. I liked the bit at the end with
the titles of every story being the beginning of a novel
but that payoff wasn't worth a million hours of slog.

On to
200px-Cormac_McCarthy_NoCountryForOldMen.jpg
because I was reading it at the library and neglected to check it out and now borrowed it on Kindle. Unfortunately, the Kindle book is formatted normally and not like a jumble of words like the book is, so dialogue is on its own line. Not the ideal McCarthy reading experience, but I'll live

Just started:

Wow I am only about a little under half way through but this is some excellent writing. Sanderson leveled the hell up after the meandering boring read that was Mistborn. I can't believe its the same writer.

Just started:

Wow I am only about a little under half way through but this is some excellent writing. Sanderson leveled the hell up after the meandering boring read that was Mistborn. I can't believe its the same writer.
I'm reading the first Mistborn novel now, and have no idea what you are talking about. Good to see the author got even better though.

Bazza

Few more books read.

20454547.jpg

This was a fun book, pretty standard but imagining the Nikki Heat books actually written by Richard Castle seems to enhance the enjoyment I would otherwise get from them.

22733729.jpg

Really liked this book, especially the interaction of the different races with each other. This is a book I would love to see expanded into a series.

89184.jpg

Well what can I say
really should have seen what was coming, after Revelation Space why I was expecting a positive outlook after the fight with the Inhibitors in the final book I will never know.

Great book though, loved every second of it. Although she is only a fictional character I fucking hate Skade, Clavain's death was surprising, Like Scorpio in the book I expected his death to be be a little more last stand or flashy, the fact his death happens off screen so to speak makes it worse as you never really get a final Clavain moment before his death.

Think I will wait some time before reading The Prefect, While I'm happy there is another book in the series the fact its a prequel puts me off a little.
I think I would have preferred to see humanity's next battle against the rogue green thermoforming beings.

6007336.jpg

This is my next book.

Cade

Oh, I was looking at my wishlist earlier today, saw Station Eleven's discount and immediately posted it here. Minutes later I found out it was already mentioned.

by me. This was all planned to show you up. Hella rekt.

I love NCFOM already and I'm only a little ways in. Oh, Cormac, you glorious man. Do we know anything yet about his three (?) projects aside from the small blurb on Wikipedia?

Finished The Racketeer.

The complete apathy I had for 80% of it turned into active dislike by the end. The final few twists in the story rely way too heavily on everyone except the main character being a dumbass.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'll read this with interest tonight. I read the first novel at a friend's request about six or seven years ago, and it didn't click for me. I think it might have to be something you grew up with.

I hope you enjoy(ed) it. I think appreciation for The Sword of Shannara (and a lot of Brooks' earlier works) from either a) being an introduction to epic fantasy (specifically at a young age), or b) as a study in understanding the SF publishing climate in '77. Either complete ignorance or a certain amount of perspective is required to appreciate it forty years later.

Mumei

I hope you enjoy(ed) it. I think appreciation for The Sword of Shannara (and a lot of Brooks' earlier works) from either a) being an introduction to epic fantasy (specifically at a young age), or b) as a study in understanding the SF publishing climate in '77. Either complete ignorance or a certain amount of perspective is required to appreciate it forty years later.

It was really great; I actually shared it with a friend who is a complete fanboy of the Shannara books. He got me to read the first book, and I just... I couldn't deal with how derivative it was. There's an homage, there's derivative, and then there's that. He actually talked about some of the things you mentioned in the piece about the later direction the books take and some of the later series within the larger universe.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll ever read more of it, but it does make me wonder if I'd appreciate it more if I graded it on a curve.

887810.jpg

I grew up on consoles and was ignorant about gaming history on PC before 2000 so it was fascinating to learn about the rise of id. I had no idea that Doom's name was inspired by Tom Cruise's character in The Color of Money. It's frustrating that the book ends in 2003 however as quite a bit has happened since then. Adrian Carmack's lawsuit against id, Activision's failed attempt to acquire id, Zenimax Media's successful aquisition of id and John Carmack's move to Oculus aren't mentioned in the epilogue or afterword.

It was really great; I actually shared it with a friend who is a complete fanboy of the Shannara books. He got me to read the first book, and I just... I couldn't deal with how derivative it was. There's an homage, there's derivative, and then there's that. He actually talked about some of the things you mentioned in the piece about the later direction the books take and some of the later series within the larger universe.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll ever read more of it, but it does make me wonder if I'd appreciate it more if I graded it on a curve.

I think you're missing an entire level of derivation.

LProtag

Just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Wow. I didn't expect that book to go the places that it did. Truly fascinating. I loved the breaking up of it into 3 distinct sections that remained tied together through theme rather than character.

Finished Mistborn: The Final Empire, I quite liked it. Now on to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, before I start reading the second Misborn book.

Pickman

Buddy Skunkers turned me on to these Harry Turtledove Worldwar books. I'm chewing through them on lunch breaks/in the crapper. They're not terrible, but too much sex for my liking.

Mumei

17574845.jpg
22822858.jpg

I'm currently reading these. Satantango hasn't quite clicked with me the way that Seiobo There Below did, but I'm still really enjoying it. I have a feeling that A Little Life is going to break me.

huxley00

Guys...

I am obsessed with Dune...and I'm only halfway through the book.

What is your favorite part of the book?

1. The interesting medieval style-futuristic house system?
2. The Bene Gesserit?
3. The Spice Traders?
4. The emperor and political intrigue?
5. The weaponry?
6. Mentats?

Or is your favorite part the religion and how Paul is essentially Jesus/Mohammed? I hope its the last one, because thats all the next book is about.

Necrovex

Finished Stoner. A lovely cynical book.

Debating on my next read now, either the first book of the Southern Reach trilogy, City of Stairs, 11/22/63, The Road, or Station 11. Too much to choose from!

Though I'll probably stick with the Economist until the end of March. Work is insane until the beginning of next month.

Cade

Finished No Country For Old Men. Damn, what a book, and kudos to the Coen brothers for making a movie that doesn't make you disappointed in it after reading the book, since they're more of a complement to each other. The things changed in the movie are fine changes, and the things expanded on or missing from the movie in the book just serve to make the world broader. Not that you can go wrong with either, but damn, anyone who likes one should definitely check out the other.

Gotta read a bunch of other McCarthy this year, but for now I'm on to Station Eleven. I'm excited.

Althane

I got about halfway through it. I think it would make a pretty cool film, just not my type of book. I do have some friends that liked it a lot though, hopefully you like it as well!

They did make it a film, it's called Ocean's 11.

(I kid, I kid)

Wasn't there some rumor of a show or something coming from the Lies?

Mr.Swag

Banned
Halfway through The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and its definitely gonna be going into my top five.

Heavily recommend if you are into any of the following:
World War 2
Jews
Comic Books
Business
Family
Youth success
Fantastic writing

I'm nearly done with The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. This was my first Discworld book, and I think I'll be reading a whole lot more from the series. I haven't laughed so much from a book since A Prayer for Owen Meany.

I went crazy and ordered all of the Discworld books that were $0.99 and $1.99 on the kindle store, and there's a lot on sale now.

I will probably read Guards! Guards! next.

Jag

Halfway through The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and its definitely gonna be going into my top five.

Heavily recommend if you are into any of the following:
World War 2
Jews
Comic Books
Business
Family
Youth success
Fantastic writing

I've heard good things about it. Does it somewhat mirror what took place in the early comic book era of the 30s and 40s?

Mr.Swag

Banned
I've heard good things about it. Does it somewhat mirror what took place in the early comic book era of the 30s and 40s?
I'm not really familiar with how the business was irl, but in the book its portrayed as an emerging art with money available to those who seek it

Top Bottom