• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DagsJT

Nearly finished:

mzi.nhvcfbaq.225x225-75.jpg

Only started it a couple of days ago but really enjoying it, highly recommend.

Tenrius

Well, I finished The Lost Fleet: Dauntless. The combat was really enjoyable and it was a good read, but I felt that everything else was somewhat sketchy. The environments of the ship where the main character spends the entirety of the book, for example, are never really described beyond something like "he walked into a big compartment". I also don't have anything against using US navy vocabulary in the space, but calling the enlisted personnel on a spaceship "sailors" is just too much.

As I said though, not a bad book thanks to the awesome space combat. Hopefully, the questions raised near the end bring something fresh into the sequels.

Next up, a book by oatmeal's brother (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563025).

davidhollow1_gaf.jpg

berg ark

I finished Heller's Catch 22. I loved it. One of my favourites. At the moment I'm reading Green Hills of Africa på Hemingway - like it so far, but funnily enough I have a harder time getting into the prose compared to just Heller. Even though many comment on the easy sentence structure of Hemingway, fasted paced and so on.

I have another question for you read-gaf: Has anyone here read Tolstoys War and Peace? If so - which version is better the un-abridged with about 1200 pages or the abridged with about half that amount. Is it worth it getting the original version length?

ShaneB

Do you guys read books in complete silence, or do you prefer some background music?

I guess either is generally fine for me, although, not so much music and maybe just background noise. I like reading in complete silence of course, love reading at night time in bed, but I read a lot at work as well, or outside on on my balcony where there might be some outside noise here and there just to keep things subtle. As long as nothing is too distracting, I guess it's a non-issue.

I can't decide what to read :( I might just take a break until Abbadon's Gate next week.

Nearly finished:

mzi.nhvcfbaq.225x225-75.jpg

Only started it a couple of days ago but really enjoying it, highly recommend.

Just saw on goodreads that you sent me this recommendation :) It does sound pretty interesting, but I don't think I'm in the mood to read right now. Keep me updated when you finish though. I recently watched "The Hurricane", so this book certainly fits into that mold of life in prison and how they deal with it.

I'm still fairly awestruck from "Curious Incident...", so I might pick something from this goodreads list about young narrators.

Tenrius

I have another question for you read-gaf: Has anyone here read Tolstoys War and Peace? If so - which version is better the un-abridged with about 1200 pages or the abridged with about half that amount. Is it worth it getting the original version length?

I was supposed to read it back in high school, but I, uh, neglected that. I heard there's a lot of filler though, some philosophical essays inserted into the actual novel or something, so it might a better idea to get the abridged version. I understand that it's only those essays that are cut. By the way, a lot of dialogue in the book is in French, so there's a lot of huge footnotes.

J-Roderton

Finishing up Game Of Thrones.
Started Education Of A Wandering Man. Basically a memoir from Louis L'Amour. Really interesting stuff and it totally makes you want to read more.

After that I'm hoping into Gulliver's Travels. Got a leather bound at a flea market last week.

Do you guys read books in complete silence, or do you prefer some background music?

Having a TV on with volume turned down is fine. No music, though. Can't help but sing along in my head.

Woorloog

Banned

Either works.
However, since i usually use headphones, i can't listen to music for long. Kinda uncomfortable for long reading sessions. Also, changing track is annoying. Never got around fixing my playlists.
If i can listen to music without headphones (ie i'm alone)...

Dash27

It's kinda "self help, motivational" I suppose which I'm not always a fan of, but I'm reading this and enjoying it on a recommendation:

41x79lrJGcL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

Mumei

I can read with whatever noise is around me, pretty much. I can read with a Martin Yale 400 paper jogger sitting next to me.

Everyone kept recommending this to me since I missed reading it as a kid:

Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper

I finished it and only thought it was okay. I probably would have liked it better if I had read it as a kid.

Keeeep reeeading.

I loved the series and I first read it in 2007. The first book isn't as strong; I think I gave it 3/5 on Goodreads, but it's worth continuing. I love the atmosphere, especially in the second book.

Arment

DylSEiD.jpg

Decent so far, but I'm looking forward to the next series. Tired of a few of the characters that have been lurking around in this 4-parter.

Loxley

sealteamsixcover.jpg

I picked this up on a whim, I don't think I've ever read through a book so quickly. Really fascinating to get a first-hand account of the kinds of things that SEALs do, and how they train. Intense stuff to say the least.

I'm on Wolves of the Callah. If you enjoyed Gunslinger you'll LOVE the rest. A character in Wolves is actually from Salem's Lot.

I read that somehow the Dark Tower series acts as a "sequel" to 'salem's Lot so I assumed it'd be a good idea to read it before I continued with the series!

TripOpt55

I just finished up A Dance with Dragons yesterday. And I ordered 1984, The Chronicles of Black Company (which includes the first three I guess) and the new Fringe tie-in novel. Not sure what I'll start on first.

Oh this sounds perfect. Gonna order it to read during my week in the city. Thank you! :)

Also have always thought about picking up The Dark is Rising series. Maybe I'll just stick to non-fiction and children's books since more adult fiction has been so disappointing.

Cool, it's one of my all time favorites, hope you like it.

Keeeep reeeading.

I loved the series and I first read it in 2007. The first book isn't as strong; I think I gave it 3/5 on Goodreads, but it's worth continuing. I love the atmosphere, especially in the second book.

Everyone says how great the second book is. If I didn't like the plot or characters of the first book, is it still worth it to read the second?

jtb

Banned
2QZoTlX.jpg

some interesting essays, some less so. I generally like Franzen though so I don't mind his schtick even if the actual "Farther Away" essay was a bit obvious and artificial w/ regards to the whole David Foster Wallace relationship.

next up:

47ZVAS7.jpg

recommended by a friend, haven't read non-fiction in a while

Mumei

Everyone says how great the second book is. If I didn't like the plot or characters of the first book, is it still worth it to read the second?

Well, the second book introduces a new character and setting; the larger plot (that this is a series about a climactic battle against The Dark) remains the same, but it feels different, probably because it focuses on a simple character and has more room to breathe. I liked the first book more than you did, though. I liked how unpretentious it felt, and its simplicity, and I liked the setting. I didn't think it was amazing; just pretty solidly done for a children's fantasy book. I really enjoyed the second because it did a better job of fleshing out the sides (they remained archetypes but I thought it was done well), and had a much more palpable atmosphere - almost like an impending sense of dread. For fantasy as escapism, as a way to feel transported, it's one of my favorite fantasy books. If you don't like The Dark is Rising, I'd say you're safe to skip the rest of the series, but I think it is worth a shot.

KidDork

Miller was great in the first half of the book then he just fell off the deep end and I couldn't understand anymore.

I really liked Miller. Sure, he was there to provide a contrast to Holden's more optimistic views, but his narrative path made sense to me. The only thing I never really got was the bloody hat.

HoJu

finished THE BIG SLEEP. loved it with all my heart.
Now I'm reading...
tshirt-breakfast.jpg

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS by Kurt Vonnegut.

It's my first Vonnegut and I had no idea what to expect going in. I'm now about halfway through, and though his writing style took some getting used to, I am really enjoying it.

Tenrius

finished THE BIG SLEEP. loved it with all my heart.
Now I'm reading...
tshirt-breakfast.jpg

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS by Kurt Vonnegut.

It's my first Vonnegut and I had no idea what to expect going in. I'm now about halfway through, and though his writing style took some getting used to, I am really enjoying it.

You'd be better off with Cat's Cradle or Slaughterhouse 5. Breakfast of Champions is my least favorite Vonnegut book, although I still like it.

I think he's the best American writer, period.

Maybe if his books weren't so similar. Maybe it's just me, but they do feel that way, especially the less known ones.

Speaking of excellent American writers, what do you BookGAF people think about O. Henry?

Nymerio

Its much much better. (Though you're probably already a good way into it.)

Yeah I'm about halfway through and I'm totally into it now. The only annoying character so far is Felisin, the rest of the cast I really like. I was about ready to toss the series after the first book but the second is so much better.

Arment

So, are these any good?

The entire Drizzt series of novels as a whole or just this latest saga?

The series is pretty good, especially the first three or four sets of books. But I find it getting a bit worse these last couple of sagas. Mostly because of really spoilery reasons. Plot stuff.

DagsJT

Started reading "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller. Quite like the dialogue so far, made me chuckle a few times. After that, I'll read try the Mistborn series.

Tenrius

The Sirens of Titan and Cat's Cradle are my favourites of the Vonnegut books I've read (I also really enjoyed Player Piano), but I haven't got around to Slaughterhouse-five, as of yet. It seems to be the last particularly well regarded one I haven't read, so I'm saving it. Think I'll read Mother Night next.

Maybe if his books weren't so similar. Maybe it's just me, but they do feel that way, especially the less known ones.

Honestly, if you're just reading his main fiction novels you're missing out on his best work. My favorite Vonnegut is, in no particular order (WARNING: reads like a Vonnegut shrine because it is):

1) A Man Without a Country - Essentially his memoir, it contains some of his most beautifully written stuff. Imagine you could crack open Vonnegut's brain and see what he's storing inside there, and this is what you get. He shares a lot of his philosophies and the lessons he learned through his life. The entire book blows my face off. Look at this treasure:

Kurt Vonnegut said:
Here is a lesson in creative writing.

First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

And I realize some of you may be having trouble deciding whether I am kidding or not. So from now on I will tell you when I'm kidding.

For instance, join the National Guard or the Marines and teach democracy. I'm kidding.

We are about to be attacked by Al Qaeda. Wave flags if you have them. That always seems to scare them away. I'm kidding.

If you want to really hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be gay, the least you can do is go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.

2) Armageddon in Retrospect - This is Vonnegut's take on wars, and the pointlessness thereof. As a career military man, this speaks more to me than a lot of his other works. The dude sat through the bombing of Dresden and witnessed the atrocity of war first-hand, so I value his insight and opinion on how rough it really is. Harrowing and moving.

Vonnegut said:
We accepted their congratulations with good grace and proper modesty, but I felt then as I feel now, that I would have given my life to save Dresden for the world’s generations to come. That is how everyone should feel about every city on earth.

3) God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian - Great short stories where Kurt teams up with Dr. K. to have himself put under where he can interview famous people in the afterlife. He interviews everyone from Freud to Hitler, and the results are spectactular.

Vonnegut said:
OK, now let’s have some fun. Let’s talk about sex. Let’s talk about women. Freud said he didn’t know what women wanted. I know what women want. They want a whole lot of people to talk to. What do they want to talk about? They want to talk about everything. What do men want? They want a lot of pals, and they wish people wouldn’t get so mad at them.

Why are so many people getting divorced today? It’s because most of us don’t have extended families anymore. It used to be that when a man and a woman got married, the bride got a lot more people to talk to about everything. The groom got a lot more pals to tell dumb jokes to.

A few Americans, but very few, still have extended families. The Navahos. The Kennedys. But most of us, if we get married nowadays, are just one more person for the other person. The groom gets one more pal, but it’s a woman. The woman gets one more person to talk to about everything, but it’s a man.

When a couple has an argument, they may think it’s about money or power or sex, or how to raise the kids, or whatever. What they’re really saying to each other, though, without realizing it, is this: “You are not enough people!”

-------

They also released hundreds of pages of his personal correspondence late last year in the form of Letters, which I have not read yet but have heard is the bees knees.

Krowley

After trying (and failing) to get back into Snow Crash, I was still in the mood to mix some science fiction into my reading schedule. I started researching the modern space opera genre, trying to see which books got the most praise, and I ended up getting this:

7ycZejP.jpg

Revelation Space 01 - Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

I think I am in love with this book. It has monopolized about 80% of my reading time since I started it. The setting is absolutely amazing with some of the best world building I've ever seen.

I'm still a little confused about some things -- some of the lingo is a little dense, and the setting is very futuristic -- but the story is so compelling that I'm content to suffer through a little confusion, and the more I understand, the more interesting everything becomes. Some of the imagery in this book is utterly mindblowing, particularly the description of the huge, lonely "lighthugger" space-ship. It almost feels like a setting that belongs in a horror film.

Overall, the vision of the future here is a mix of utopian and dystopian characteristics. Humans have invented all the cool technology we've always dreamed of, but people are still as corrupt as ever, and the universe is still a dangerous place to be. As a result, ruins and chaos mingle freely with incredible scientific wonders, and there are all sorts of weird contrasting elements. It seems really unique to me. I'm not sure it is, because I'm certainly more of a fantasy/horror guy than a science fiction guy, but I've never read anything quite like this.

There is so much potential for awesome storytelling in this universe that it boggles my mind, and I can see myself devouring this whole series pretty fast. I don't have a huge amount of experience with modern space opera, but for what it's worth, I think I like this more than Hyperion.

Kallor

*Malazan book 2* Yeah I'm about halfway through and I'm totally into it now. The only annoying character so far is Felisin, the rest of the cast I really like. I was about ready to toss the series after the first book but the second is so much better.

Exactly how I felt. Every Book since then has been fantastic for me.

J-Roderton

The entire Drizzt series of novels as a whole or just this latest saga?

The series is pretty good, especially the first three or four sets of books. But I find it getting a bit worse these last couple of sagas. Mostly because of really spoilery reasons. Plot stuff.

Cool. I saw these at the bookstore. I have no idea what book even starts the series.

I think I am in love with this book. It has monopolized about 80% of my reading time since I started it. The setting is absolutely amazing with some of the best world building I've ever seen.

I've never read a Reynolds book, but added several of them to my backlog yesterday based on Goodreads recommendations. You may have pushed that one up in my queue. :)

Tenrius

Honestly, if you're just reading his main fiction novels you're missing out on his best work. My favorite Vonnegut is, in no particular order (WARNING: reads like a Vonnegut shrine because it is):

1) A Man Without a Country - Essentially his memoir, it contains some of his most beautifully written stuff. Imagine you could crack open Vonnegut's brain and see what he's storing inside there, and this is what you get. He shares a lot of his philosophies and the lessons he learned through his life. The entire book blows my face off. Look at this treasure:

2) Armageddon in Retrospect - This is Vonnegut's take on wars, and the pointlessness thereof. As a career military man, this speaks more to me than a lot of his other works. The dude sat through the bombing of Dresden and witnessed the atrocity of war first-hand, so I value his insight and opinion on how rough it really is. Harrowing and moving.

3) God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian - Great short stories where Kurt teams up with Dr. K. to have himself put under where he can interview famous people in the afterlife. He interviews everyone from Freud to Hitler, and the results are spectactular.

-------

They also released hundreds of pages of his personal correspondence late last year in the form of Letters, which I have not read yet but have heard is the bees knees.

I didn't read those, but you definitely got me interested. Think I'll fill up up some of these spaces in my Vonnegut collection some time in the near future.

Empty

read the art of fielding by chad harbach. i thought it was really amazing, despite not having much interest in baseball going in and having to google a few terms. the characters were very vivid, i loved the meditative mood to it and it has some beautiful passages. as with any good long book finishing it has left a hole in my heart.

I didn't read those, but you definitely got me interested. Think I'll fill up up some of these spaces in my Vonnegut collection some time in the near future.

Cool, definitely give them a shot. They're all short reads (a day or two, max) and really showcase his mad writing skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom