• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished "Gun Machine" by Warren Ellis.
I usually love his output, but this was just a disappointingly to spec written mess. Very sad.

Decided on "Consider Phlebas" By Iain M Banks next. I've read a lot of the Banks fiction, but not a lot of his Sci Fi. Finished "Use of Weapons" before Ellis book, so excited for more "culture" story.

Tenrius

There are 11 classics on sale on the Kindle Store today. Any suggestions from the list? I've already read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I liked. Here's the list:

The Sun Also Rises
Gone With the Wind
Tender is the Night
Cry, Beloved Country
The Cider House Rules
The Thorn Birds
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Complete short stories of Ernest Hemingway
Farewell to Arms
The Snows of Kilimanjaro
In Our Time

If you're interested in Hemingway, I can recommend Snows of Kilimanjaro and/or the complete short stories (not sure what's difference actually). I also read Farewell to Arms, which was amazing and I'd recommend it over The Sun Also Rises, but I think the short stories are easier to get into.

EvaristeG

Banned
9782253159896.jpg

Greg Egan - Luminous

If you're interested in Hemingway, I can recommend Snows of Kilimanjaro and/or the complete short stories (not sure what's difference actually). I also read Farewell to Arms, which was amazing and I'd recommend it over The Sun Also Rises, but I think the short stories are easier to get into.

I think the Complete Short Stories has Kilimanjaro in it from the bit of research I did. That was the one I purchased anyways.

Jintor

Damnit... wasn't a box deal in my region... thankfully you can refund kindle purchases, but that 1-click button is a murderer

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Read Wishful Drinking by Kingsley Amis. Hilariously dated but still worth reading because his views are from a vanished world.

Narag

There are 11 classics on sale on the Kindle Store today. Any suggestions from the list? I've already read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I liked. Here's the list:

The Sun Also Rises
Gone With the Wind
Tender is the Night
Cry, Beloved Country
The Cider House Rules
The Thorn Birds
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Farewell to Arms
The Snows of Kilimanjaro
In Our Time

Welp, time to increase the backlog. Was hoping some of those would go on sale.

Fey

Banned
Finished these two books in the past few days:

bookshot-andthemountainsechoed.png

Thought this was a great book. I didn't enjoy it as much as his first two books, though. I think centering the book on 4-5 different characters, each with their own different tales that were told in ~90 pages each made me less attached to the characters. As always though, he loves to make you enjoy characters/relationships and then cruelly rip them apart.

and

9781405880145.jpg

A very short, quick, and interesting read.

Not sure what to read next. That list of books on sale is looking nice, though I already have a massive list to get through. D:

ShaneB

I finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time last night. I marathoned the 2nd half since I was hooked and pretty much got to that 'Wow, I have to keep reading this" point.

It was an incredible book and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. Very very funny, very heartfelt and endearing to read from such a POV, and it's just so fantastic, I really cared about the characters and felt connected. So glad I read it.

I just finished Shadows Linger by Glen Cook, book number two in the Black Company series. I didn't like it as much as the first book, mainly because it took a couple hundred pages to really get started. Once it did, things progressed at breakneck speeds and the final 100 pages were stellar. I loved the dynamics and character growth of all the main protagonists. What really stands out the most in the series so far is the ambiguity between good and evil. The main narrator admits time and time again that they are serving an evil force, but she ultimately represents the lesser of two evils out there.

While it certainly was not a twist or something I didn't see coming, there was a great shift in setup in the final few chapters (I can't really go into more details without spoiling the story). It serves as an excellent send off for the third book, White Rose, which concludes the first trilogy in the series. I'll be jumping right into that one for my next read.

Overall, I give it a solid ★★★.

spectros4

Neo Member
Finally getting around to starting Atlas Shrugged. I've never really read for pleasure, but it's been something I'm more interested in, now that I have some free time. I'm still early on in the book, but I'm enjoying it so far.

duckroll

Finished Caliban's War. An interesting way of doing a sequel. It was far more restrained compared to the first book, and did a good job expanding the worldview. At the same time though, I felt that the restrain was a bit too conscious and obvious. Like, the authors sat down and said "let's make sure there is politics and a bit less action". There was something a bit unnatural about the narrative flow at points, like it was being held back and toned down every step of the way towards the end, just to ensure the tone remains consistent with the objective of the book.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though, it's a pretty good read, and I'm glad I have the next book pre-ordered. It just feels a bit too packaged. If Leviathan Wakes is a scifi action story trying to be as cool as it could be and escalating stuff every step of the way, then Caliban's War is a scifi action thriller telling itself at every turn that it has to keep itself in check so people wouldn't make fun of it for being too ridiculous. I think the authors are still trying to find a balance in the series, which is fair, and I really do hope they find it. The universe is clearly richly defined and a great setting for scifi adventures, but I think the trick is in telling a story where the escalation doesn't start to feel silly, while also not being too self-conscious that it becomes predictable.

Looking forward to what they offer in Abaddon's Gate. :)

Nymerio

Still making my way through Deadhouse Gates. I'm about a third through and I'm starting to get really into it. That Felisin is sooo annoying though.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Not sure what to start reading next. It's a toss up between The Black Company, Leviathan Wakes, and Best Served Cold . What do you guys/gals think I should read next?

You can never go wrong with more Abercrombie.
Personally I thought Heroes was the best of his new trilogy but they're all great. Full of scumbag characters and tons of gore.

Finished it in a day and a half. It's a pretty easy read. I'm not a fan of Hamid's prose, but his stories are fun and paced well. This in particular is a story that relies on the reader's familiarity with South Asia. However, I can't help but feel that it had so much more potential if the writer wasn't so darned lazy and instead decided to better narrate the events. The characters are very interesting, but lack the exposition of development they crucially needed.

9780670086375.jpg

The Sun Also Rises
Gone With the Wind
Tender is the Night
Cry, Beloved Country
The Cider House Rules
The Thorn Birds
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Farewell to Arms
The Snows of Kilimanjaro
In Our Time

Both, The Sun Also Rises, and Farewell to Arms are incredible books. You can't go wrong with either. Although if you're not familiar with Hemingway, you might struggle with his terse journalistic prose at times. But I would recommend soldiering on.

Finally finished Life of Pi. I took a break from it, then started reading again and it gripped me. A tremendous book.

Now, I'm in the middle of a few books. There's Gone Girl (good, but without a single likeable character so far), Redshirts (very early days, but like the Whedon-esque dialogue) and Salt, Sugar, Fat (almost done with the sugar section).

Pachimari

Are "Escape From Camp 14" and "Together Alone" worth getting?

I haven't finished a book in YEARS and is currently reading Q184 (is that the name?) book 1 but I keep taking a break and eventually starting all over again.

I guess I'm getting stressed by outside factors. :(

Currently reading The Book Thief. I've gone from 4 books behind schedule to 4 books ahead of schedule on my Goodreads challenge (30 books) since the semester ended. Gotta love summer.

Thanks for the suggestion. For now, I just bought the short story collection, but I may also get either Farewell to Arms or The Sun Also Rises before the sale ends.

ShaneB

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time has jumped to being my favourite book I've read this year, I can't stop thinking about it. I'm not sure what to read next as a follow up. :(

Also, I hate when books get classified as Young Adult, I mean, I guess it makes sense as the target audience, but I feel wierd when it feels like a bunch of books I want to read now show up in YA lists on Goodreads. lol

DagsJT

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time has jumped to being my favourite book I've read this year, I can't stop thinking about it. I'm not sure what to read next as a follow up. :(l

"Replay" had the same effect on me. Also "Blankets", a graphic novel, had me thinking about it for a while afterwards. Both outstanding stories and told so well.

Tapiozona

Banned
0575077174.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Recommended by GAF and it was utterly brilliant. One if my all time favorites and I actually enjoyed the ending, planned sequel or not.

Vagabundo

Finished Caliban's War. An interesting way of doing a sequel. It was far more restrained compared to the first book, and did a good job expanding the worldview. At the same time though, I felt that the restrain was a bit too conscious and obvious. Like, the authors sat down and said "let's make sure there is politics and a bit less action". There was something a bit unnatural about the narrative flow at points, like it was being held back and toned down every step of the way towards the end, just to ensure the tone remains consistent with the objective of the book.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though, it's a pretty good read, and I'm glad I have the next book pre-ordered. It just feels a bit too packaged. If Leviathan Wakes is a scifi action story trying to be as cool as it could be and escalating stuff every step of the way, then Caliban's War is a scifi action thriller telling itself at every turn that it has to keep itself in check so people wouldn't make fun of it for being too ridiculous. I think the authors are still trying to find a balance in the series, which is fair, and I really do hope they find it. The universe is clearly richly defined and a great setting for scifi adventures, but I think the trick is in telling a story where the escalation doesn't start to feel silly, while also not being too self-conscious that it becomes predictable.

Looking forward to what they offer in Abaddon's Gate. :)

I really had to slog through Leviathan. Not sure if I could stick a sequel. I did enjoy the setting, but the characterisation wasn't great, it felt very forced, especially Holden. Miller was a little more interesting.

I kept getting cheesy Dead Space vibes too. It probably didn't help.

Finished Stephen King's Gunslinger. Good! Looking forward to reading the next Dark Tower book. But in the meantime, reading 'salem's Lot.

Not sure why I'm on a Stephen King kick, but enjoying it so far.

Sol1dus

Finished Stephen King's Gunslinger. Good! Looking forward to reading the next Dark Tower book. But in the meantime, reading 'salem's Lot.

Not sure why I'm on a Stephen King kick, but enjoying it so far.

I'm on Wolves of the Callah. If you enjoyed Gunslinger you'll LOVE the rest. A character in Wolves is actually from Salem's Lot.

Finished reading Old Man's War and the two follow ups. Quick easy reads that were enjoyable.

Currently reading Iron Council by Mieville and not really feeling it. This is the 4th Mieville book I've read and I think might be my last, I feel like he falls under the "authors I'd like to enjoy more than I actually do" category.

So far out of what I read I'd rank The Scar > The City and the City > Perdidio Statiom > Iron Council

Blitzzz

I really had to slog through Leviathan. Not sure if I could stick a sequel. I did enjoy the setting, but the characterisation wasn't great, it felt very forced, especially Holden. Miller was a little more interesting.

I kept getting cheesy Dead Space vibes too. It probably didn't help.

I felt the same thing about Holden. I just couldn't get over the fact that a rather average ex-officer who purposely wanted to stay on bottom of the barrel ship ends up doing so well. I think the similarities of the crew and Firefly kept making me compare Holden to Mal except Mal at least had a believable background that contributes to future exploits.

Miller was great in the first half of the book then he just fell off the deep end and I couldn't understand anymore.

After seeing duckroll's description of Caliban's War, I think I might actually enjoy it more than LW. I enjoyed the world and social conflict but didn't care too much for the somewhat ridiculous
zombie
stuff

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
5367.jpg

On the third book now, really digging it. Good characters, interesting setting and easy to read prose.

Celegus

Just started:

10137823.jpg

I'll read anything Sanderson writes. Not very far yet, but I find it incredibly strange that one of the teachers in the school is named Professor Layton. I mean, that couldn't be a coincidence, could it?

I ordered this, it should arrive in a few days. Planning tp read 'em on holiday.

p1090247olofd.jpg

Sooooooo freaking excited to start this trilogy.

And after that I'm planning to re-read ASoIaF, only read up to ASoS, so AFFC and ADWD are still new to me. I also have the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy still standing there unread. And an uncle gave me all his Dune books. Also planning to buy the Hyperion and the Endymion Omnibus, and the Night Angel trilogy. Maybe the Dark Tower series as well. Reading all of this is going to take me atleast a year, and reading fantasy after fantasy isn't a good idea, so I'll probably throw some detective books in between (like Agatha Christie books, Detective Beck books, my parents have thousands of detective books, it's awesome). And study books ofcourse, heh. Looking forward to everything. Hopefully when I'm done The Winds of Winter will be out.

And I'm not a well-read person. I'm really not. So planning to also read some classics. Catch 22, War and Peace, The Karamazov Brothers, 1984, Crime and Punishment, The Art of War, The Divine Comedy...sigh there are so many where am I ever going to find time.

Do you guys read books in complete silence, or do you prefer some background music?

Blitzzz

Just started:

10137823.jpg

I'll read anything Sanderson writes. Not very far yet, but I find it incredibly strange that one of the teachers in the school is named Professor Layton. I mean, that couldn't be a coincidence, could it?

I started reading Mistborn. Never read Sanderson before this.

I've tended to shy away from heavy magic/elves type fantasies after ASOIAF but this magic system is surprisingly good. I keep picturing the fight scenes as a 3rd person game like asscreed/witcher/rpg

Ghizz

If you guys like mistborn or any of sanderson's work, you'll love The Way of Kings, first book of The Stormlight Archive.

As for me, I'm currently reading the latter part of The Wheel of Time. My first time reading a huge series (14 books...), but its been quite epic so far!

Fey

Banned
This was free on kindle, so I read it:

15728378.jpg

It was an okay book. It kind of felt like the author's point with the book was just to make people sympathize with teachers, and he wrote about himself as though he had zero flaws. He could seemingly do no wrong.

Reading this now:

Animal-Farm.jpg

3 chapters in and absolutely loving it so far. Orwell's great.

Celegus

If you guys like mistborn or any of sanderson's work, you'll love The Way of Kings, first book of The Stormlight Archive.

As for me, I'm currently reading the latter part of The Wheel of Time. My first time reading a huge series (14 books...), but its been quite epic so far!

Way of Kings is great, probably my 2nd favorite behind Mistborn. Really excited for book 2 later this year. I also started Wheel of Time recently (pretty much only because Sanderson finished it), and I'm about halfway through the first book. It's... meh... I'm assuming it gets better?

^ yeah took me a while to get into that as well, but then I ended up liking it a lot. It does stay pretty descriptive with all the chemistry and science stuff tho, but I'm a nerd like that and it didn't bother me. It also opens up later on with different povs and you'll see whats going on at nasa as well.

Time Riders is on sale today for 3 bones. It's YA, but kinda fun if you enjoy cheesy sci-fi stuff. Second book is also on sale for $3 today too, haven't read that one yet, but just bought it.

TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow

Seanspeed

Banned
Its my last day of Netflix and I figured I should check out the Lonesome Dove adaption since I've finished reading it.

I had to turn it off within 5 minutes. Was completely ruining how I pictured everything and I didn't like how they were talking. Usually I can deal with this sort of thing, but I felt especially warm and fuzzy about all the characters and couldn't risk it tarnishing everything permanently. Maybe one day down the line.

I also finished my reread of A Feast for Crows and will probably start on A Dance with Dragons again til Abbadon's Gate comes out.

The Lonesome Dove prequels are also on my 'to-read-soon' list. Really loved it. Gus is one of the best characters ever.

Do you guys read books in complete silence, or do you prefer some background music?
I prefer silence. For a long while, it was the only way I could sit down and read for any good length of time. TV off, just peace and quiet, maybe a drink, and a book. I still think thats the best way to get lost in what you're reading but I can deal with noise now and I dont mind some music. I actually quite like playing some viking metal-style stuff when reading fantasy. Suits the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom