• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
I'll let GAF decide what I read next (aside from the correspondence between Goethe and Cotta). Four choices:

G. Saunders - Tenth of December
A. Munro - Dance of the Happy Shades
T. Cole - Open City
Z. Smith - N-W

I'd be in the mood for any one of them, really.

Narag

Ok need to read again for that 50/50 thread I signed up for.

Forrest Gump by Winston Groom

Didn't really care for this as it had none of the charm the movie possessed. Sure, Forrest had a bunch of adventures but them consisting of being a stoner for a while, planting cotton for a tribe of cannibals in New Guinea after he lands there in his NASA rocket, pissing on Raquel Welch, or winning a chess tournament thanks to the timely ripping of a fart left this a little less engaging than I cared for.

All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka

This though, I really, really liked this one. All set for Edge of Tomorrow now.

Cross post from the 50/50 thread.

I finished Gene Wolfe's The Urth of the New Sun, which serves as the bookend to the series. ★★★★★ - I'm stunned at how well he concluded the story, tying everything together. Even minor events that I'd forgotten were given thorough explanations and purpose. This book was wonderful and moving, yet it left me with a strong sense of sorrow. The very ending is a straight up mind fuck of the utmost proportion.

I'll miss you, Severian.

A. Munro - Dance of the Happy Shades

krrrt

Finished and LOVED The Black Dahlia, now almost through A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley and enjoying the hell out of it.

Still slogging through Ian Kershaw's huge Hitler biography when I'm in the mood for nonfiction, and also halfway through The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwarz which has been enlightening and a book I would recommend to anyone who likes to think things through.

Currently two thirds of the way through The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

First book I've read in years. Not something I would usually go for. I'm enjoying it a lot; the writing is really accessible and affable. Very curious to discover if it ends up "doing" something in the end.

220px-Mrmercedes.jpg

It's good. I'm really interested in late-period King - writing whatever he wants to write, ignoring relative concepts of sales pressures etc - and this is fun. It's VERY straightforward, a crime thriller with zero supernatural elements (that I've found so far), and the characters are pretty stock; but it's pacey as hell.

Bazza

Finished Timelike Infinity over the weekend and got started on Flux, Enjoying the series so far, no book has been outstanding yet but there are many more books to go through, Glad i decided to read in publication order as well, chronological may have made more sense but I quite like how you get to start piecing the bigger picture together with little bits and pieces mentioned in each book so far.

IronRinn

A friend gave me a copy of this, so I read about half of it this weekend. Honestly, I'm not sure I have any thoughts on it. There are words, and I am reading them, but they aren't really leaving an impression. Not much of a fan of Stoicism I guess.

A Canticle for Leibowitz - Gave this about three hours on audible and just couldn't get into it. I'm sure it's just me not being able to follow very well while working. The way it weaved the past and present into the same chapters sometimes made it confusing. I'll probably give it another try down the line.

Almost done with Hyperion, really liking it and looking forward to getting into the next book. I could probably read a whole book of Brawne Lamia, it was probably the most interesting story for me.

9780062233271_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

After giving up on Canticle, I started on Last Call. I'd meant to check out Tim Powers for a while so I'm interested to get more into it.

Piecake

I just finished this

It was both fantastic and depressing. The part on the Jim Crow south just left me amazed at the inhumanity, vehemence, and violence of it. I am specifically thinking about the stories about Florida where a band of racists followed a black teenager accused of murdering a white teenager all across the state for like a month, finally caught up with him and tortured him to death (the father actually murdered his daughter because the black and white teenager were in love and he found out).

Learning about the North was definitely informative because I knew the basics of white flight and racism during the great migration, but the detail of it presented in this book was fascinating and really depressing.

She mentions that the simple fear of a black person moving into their neighborhood was enough to drop property values, and once one actually did, it sparked a flight out of there so as not to be the last white family left. What this means is that it was the racism and fear of white people that lowered their property values. Moreover, once they all left, it completely destabalized the neighborhood because property managers swooped in and bought property that they then rented to black people for higher prices, businesses left because the white people left, and all that turnover just caused extreme havoc.

Just the vehemence of keeping black people in 'their' neighborhood was shocking as well. I am specificall speaking of Cicero, IL, where a black family moved in. In response, the white neighbors protested outside the apartment and eventually broke into the apartment wrecked the property of the black family, set that rubble on fire, then burned the apartment bulding down. Then proceeded to riot accross town. I mean, what the fuck people?

Another consequence of keeping black people all in one small neighborhood was that it jacked up rents and property. There was just such a high demand for that property that landlords and sellings could demand absurd rent, like 1.5 to 2 times what white people were paying. These black migrants were also stuck in the lowest and shittest jobs because of racism again. To pay for that rent, they had to take multiple jobs, and since they fled the south and might not have that established family structure or close village ties, their kids spent a lot of time alone.

Hello origins of urban problems. Seriously, everyone needs to read this book.

Nezumi

Finished:

red-country-by-joe-abercrombie.jpeg

I can't really say what I thought about it. When it was good it was really good but when it was bad it was also really bad. All in all I thought that it was way to drawn-out. Some really good action scenes though.

0e7692c008a0ba2212813010.L.jpg

Nothing to say that hasn't been said here before. Started with the next one right away. There is just something about the vagueness with which Wolfe describes his world that is very very intriguing.

Also starting the audiobook of:

girl-who-circumvented-fairyland.jpg

Heard a lot of good things about this. If I'd known that it was illustrated I would have gotten the book over the audio version though. Hopefully I'm not missing out on too much.

X-Frame

You got it. As much as I loved A Promise of Blood and the novellas, this was on an entirely new level. The wait for the third book is already excruciating.

Awesome news! Well, not the excruciating wait part.

Quick question: Ka-poel was my favorite character in PoB (and I've only read the Vlora novella), does she have a good sized role in this book too?

Piecake

Sounds fascinating, it's on my list now.

Speaking of the Jim Crow South, have you read Devil in the Grove?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0061792268/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's really quite amazing how depraved and horrible America's racial history is.

Nope, but I plan on reading it soon. It was actually on my "what should I read next list" that I posted here yesterday or so. The book actually talks about the case because one of the persons that the author chronicled (she followed 3 people) was from the area and worked with Harry T Moore and lived under the rule of Sheriff McCall. That is pretty much the reason why I wanted to learn more about the case and found that book.

Necrovex

Finished American Gods. It was a decent book overall. It's not as bad as Mumei and Tragic would lead us to believe. It's not a phenomenal book by any means, but I had a fun enough time with it. This is a situation where the concept is more interesting than the actual execution. I wouldn't mind to see Gaiman gives this another try in the near future. I also have no idea how HBO plans to make seven seasons out of this property.

★★★

I planned on reading the first Earthsea novel next, however my library doesn't have it via digitally at the moment (currently checked out). After investigating (no Moneyball, or Glenn Greenwald's new novel!), I decided to read Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finished American Gods. It was a decent book overall. It's not as bad as Mumei and Tragic would lead us to believe.
Haters gonna haaate.

I wouldn't mind to see Gaiman gives this another try in the near future.
He wrote a sequel/epilogue novella in 2006 called The Monarch of the Glen, which is just Shadow buggering around in Scotland.

I also have no idea how HBO plans to make seven seasons out of this property.
Development heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell.

Necrovex

Haters gonna haaate.

He wrote a sequel/epilogue novella in 2006 called The Monarch of the Glen, which is just Shadow buggering around in Scotland.

Development heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell.

They *do* like to hate. :p

I may read that down the line. I have too many other novels in my backlog to experience it at the moment.

Duh. Seven seasons out of a 600-page novel, regardless of concept is sillier than three three-hour films involving one children book.

Haly

They could do a lot of side stories, like a 14 course meal, of which Shadow's arc is just one entree.

survivor

Banned
Finished reading We Need New Names last week, fantastic book. Bulawayo really got the experience of immigrants being exposed to a completely different culture right. The entire scene where Darling had to talk with her older friends on the phone was very relatable, that shit is really tough especially when you don't have any more things in common.

I also finished reading Jakob von Gunten. Didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but it was a decent read. It's just that most of the narration by the titular character didn't grab my attention that much.
eiF0t57.jpg

And I started reading Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, only 40 pages or so into it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

daydream

Banned
I also finished reading Jakob von Gunten. Didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but it was a decent read. It's just that most of the narration by the titular character didn't grab my attention that much.

Your first Walser? I'd strongly recommend some of his shorter prose like Der Spaziergang (The Walk), and others. Maybe look for a good anthology?

Fusebox

Banned
220px-Mrmercedes.jpg

It's good. I'm really interested in late-period King - writing whatever he wants to write, ignoring relative concepts of sales pressures etc - and this is fun. It's VERY straightforward, a crime thriller with zero supernatural elements (that I've found so far), and the characters are pretty stock; but it's pacey as hell.

Awesome to hear, I didn't know this had been released.

Currently reading the Golem and the Jinni, fuck it's good, wasn't expecting such a well written tale.

survivor

Banned
I loved that book.
I actually added the book on my to read list after reading one of your posts about it some time ago.

Your first Walser? I'd strongly recommend some of his shorter prose like Der Spaziergang (The Walk), and others. Maybe look for a good anthology?

Yeah this is the first I read of his work. My library has Selected Works collection which has The Walk so I will grab that. Thanks.

You gave it three stars on Goodreads!!!!!!

One day I'll go back and retroactively change quite a few of my scores, but that day is not today. Time and perspective (i.e. I've read a lot of far better books since then) changes how I view it.

It's a lot closer to two stars than it is to three, but I've grown a bit more strict on that front.

LProtag

Weird question, but does anyone have any suggestions for interesting books dealing with forensic science or biology to a complete layman? I'm playing a character well versed in these things and I'd like a little insight into the topics.

Jintor

I'm reading a book called Stiff by Mary Roach atm. It's kind of general since it's more to do with Cadevers generally but it's an interesting starting point.

Haly

Weird question, but does anyone have any suggestions for interesting books dealing with forensic science or biology to a complete layman? I'm playing a character well versed in these things and I'd like a little insight into the topics.

PoisonersHandbook_AF.jpg

LProtag

books for less than five buck and that you have interest in are always good deals

I wish I could buy every book that interested me that was under 5 dollars. I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes away from an amazing used book store and I usually spend a good 20 dollars on a visit when I'm limiting myself.

Fusebox

Banned
I wish I could buy every book that interested me that was under 5 dollars. I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes away from an amazing used book store and I usually spend a good 20 dollars on a visit when I'm limiting myself.

I used to have shelves filled with second hand books, couldn't get enough of them. Now they're all boxed up in my garage and my house doesn't smell like a second-hand bookstore anymore.

Problem is I still buy every discounted book on the Kindle store that looks half-interesting so I'm not saving money, just room.

Jintor

It's outside my usual purview, but I happened across this author interview/article and she seems pretty interesting. It's the diary of a girl (the author) who follows the advice of a 1950s guide to popularity and sees how it works in a modern-day school (I assume she translates/updates bits that are non-applicable)

Seems interesting.

Nakho

I just finished Dune.

sogood.gif

What a crazy awesome story. Loved the world building and the knife fights, really tense and well done.

I know it is polemic, but should I continue on reading the sequels? I'm kinda curious on how especially Alia develops in the future, even though I thought the book in the end was really satisfying and self-contained.

Now to Childhood's End!

Donos

Finished "The Crippled God", the last book of the series "Malazan book of the Fallen". Overall pretty good but exhausting.

Posted a bit in the Malazan thread:
Originally Posted by ElyrionX

The final book was so disappointing. So many loose threads as far as I can recall.

Not totally dissaponting but some major characters totally fell under the bus. They were built up to be way more important for the overall story.

I haven't started any of the side story books and won't do for a while (need a break after i powered through the 10 Books), but i hope that some characters get mentioned again in them.

Now i'm half through "Let Me Off at the Top!: My Classy Life and Other Musings" by Ron Burgundy :lol.

Had so many laughs and chuckles from this book. Of course you have to see Anchorman / Anchorman 2 to appreciate the book but i have his voice and face in my head all the time when i'm reading this and that makes it so good.

Finished Hyperion. I thought it turned out really good even though it started off a little slow for me. I thought the reveal of the Consul was a little anti-climactic, I really liked his story though. The non-linear aspect of it made it the most fun to read for me.

After finishing that I jumped into the first Dresden Files book. I picked up the first three on the recent amazon sale. Seems like a very quick read so I'll probably finish that in the next day or two. So far it's ok, but it seems very bare bones in the pacing department. Maybe it's just because it's the first book but the fact that it goes event to event to event so fast while introducing a new character in every chapter just seems too formulaic and almost directly following an outline to the T. It just makes it seem like there’s not much to it. Hopefully this gets less noticeable down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom