• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2015)

Osorio

51saXHd3u-L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Has anyone read this? I was thinking of picking this up, but I'd like another opinion on it other than the book review I read in an old issue of The New Inquiry.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I also think "show, don't tell" is valuable advice. When I was taking a creative writing class in college, most of the other people in the class were totally junk writers (I wasn't stellar but I was the best there, I'm pretty certain). We peer reviewed a lot of stories, and most of it was dry description of what was happening. If I had to guess, I would say it was as if my classmates had a series of images of the story they wanted to tell (as with a movie, or comic), and then set forth to translating those images to print. Which, of course, defeats the point of writing in the first place.

Writing is not a budget surrogate for creating a movie. It is its own storytelling form, the original really, and should be viewed as such.

That said, there are times in which telling works better than showing. When the author wants to create a certain rhythm or concentrate a series of thoughts and actions. I was recently reading a Harry Potter fanfic about Hermione as Slytherin that I thought violated this rule, until I realize the story is much more briskly paced and engrossing this way (as it was recounting the events of the books with a fraction of the words spent) than with allegory and metaphor. And really, the monotony of description is carefully broken up by imagery so it never feels overbearing.

Another passage that comes to mind in this discussion is the last paragraph of Stardust, which forever remains one of my favorite bits of prose, within context, I've ever read.

They say that each night, when the duties of state permit, she climbs, on foot, and limps, alone, to the highest peak of the palace, where she stands for hour after hour, seeming not to notice the cold peak winds. She says nothing at all, but simply stares upward into the dark sky and watches, with sad eyes, the slow dance of the infinite stars.

This scene could've been written out in long form using flowery prose, but that would only reduce the impact, which only exists because of how condensed the paragraph is. That these simple two sentences summarize the totality of her long, lonely life as monarch of Stormhold is itself a kind of tragedy. (And it is doubly a tragedy that they gave her a happy ending in the film adapatation, barf.)

And people who read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell would admit that that book would've been very different if Clarke adhered staunchly to "show, don't tell". I mean, most of it would have to be rewritten because the dry, scholarly prose is one of its main attributes.

My point is, however, that "show, don't tell" is valuable advice, but can be violated by an author who knows what they're doing. Only, any author that knows when to violate this advice probably didn't need it in the first place, so it remains as a good rule of thumb for novice writers who lack the experience to know when to switch metaphor for description.

I'm about to finish

tumblr_nguidinFmj1toilq8o1_500.png

which is far, far better than I thought MR MERCEDES was - though I am very confused about exactly why it's a follow up to that book, given that
Bill Hodges, the detective from the first, is actually barely in this book - the plot pootles along without him for most of its length.

I'm then going to immediately start reading

Franzencovers-750x400.jpg

because I'm putting off reading
510nWWEaoqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

for as long as humanly possible. It can only disappoint me, I'm sure.

ngower

Finished Station Eleven today. It wasn't bad, but towards the end I started asking, "What's the point?" It just kinda felt content to float through the plot and didn't really seem to have any major plot points that wowed me or shocked me. Maybe the banality was sort of the point? That the post-apocalypse would be really boring and muted and quiet? I dunno, not a terrible book by any means, but just felt very average.

On to some graphic novels before jumping into something new.

I read a review yesterday that said, '800 pages and not much happens. Yet, I can't wait to find out what happens next.' Still only about 1/4 through myself...

I've just read too much that says what a total mess it is. I need people to tell me it's not. I absolutely despised ONLY REVOLUTIONS, because it was a gimmick with nothing inside it. Nothing at all.

I've just read too much that says what a total mess it is. I need people to tell me it's not. I absolutely despised ONLY REVOLUTIONS, because it was a gimmick with nothing inside it. Nothing at all.

I don't think I've met all the characters yet. And a couple of sections related to two of them have been sort of difficult. But the sections from the perspective of the main character - the young girl Xanther - and the sections related by her mom and dad aren't hard at all. Yes, her dad's parts use nested parentheses, but if something like that is going to throw you, you don't need to be reading post-modern fiction at all, do you?

I'll file another report when I get about 1/2 through it...

I don't think I've met all the characters yet. And a couple of sections related to two of them have been sort of difficult. But the sections from the perspective of the main character - the young girl Xanther - and the sections related by her mom and dad aren't hard at all. Yes, her dad's parts use nested parentheses, but if something like that is going to throw you, you don't need to be reading post-modern fiction at all, do you?

I'll file another report when I get about 1/2 through it...

Some of the things I've read suggest that it's not the parentheses, say, but more the fact that they represent and mean nothing bar trickery. That's when pomo becomes bullshit.

Then I'm going to start reading through The HP Lovecraft Complete Edition
9781435122963_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Hey, I got one of those too! I rather like that cover on yours, however.

I just read the Dunwich Horror yesterday, it's so fantastically rich in atmosphere.

Can someone give me recommendations for books like HP Lovecraft's work? Something that has the grand scope of Lovecraft, highly imaginative but without being too derivative or cliche. Can be either fiction or high fantasy. I want to read more fiction stuff, but I don't know where to start.

[...]

Then when my husband gets back from England on Saturday I'll be reading The Scarlet Gospels UK edition (nothing special about it, just better cover) by Clive Barker.
both-covers.png

Sorry for the drive-by-comment, but this post made me almost spit out my drink. Barker actually got this book out of development hell?!? Hot damn, color me amazed :O About 8 years ago I went through most of his bibliography in the span of 6 months and I was pumped for this book but sadly, he just didn't seem to get it published. I forgot about its existence some years ago and I'm actually astonished that this is finally done. Thanks for the tip!

. That's when pomo becomes bullshit.

I dunno - people have argued there's a whole lot of 'clever to be clever' in something like Infinite Jest, which is my favorite book. I guess I don't mind it - especially when it's a good writer who *could* write more 'traditional' prose and just chooses not to. Whatever Danielewski's faults, he IS a good writer. If good writers want to be playful, go for it. There are plenty of other good writers out there churning out tight, MFA-type spare 200-pagers...

TTG

I dunno - people have argued there's a whole lot of 'clever to be clever' in something like Infinite Jest, which is my favorite book. I guess I don't mind it - especially when it's a good writer who *could* write more 'traditional' prose and just chooses not to. Whatever Danielewski's faults, he IS a good writer. If good writers want to be playful, go for it. There are plenty of other good writers out there churning out tight, MFA-type spare 200-pagers...

I must be catching bits of conversation because there's no way you're putting whacky formatting in the same subset as Infinite Jest. The clever to be clever argument has to be largely guilt by association to guys like Pynchon. DFW has to be the least pretentious incredibly smart writer pretty much ever, it sort of defines his writing in no inconsequential way. So, what are we talking about, long sentences? Because unlike Faulkner or someone, those have the feeling of being painstakingly honed to be rid of tedium and labor(that's not a shot at Faulkner, it's just that his style can be a lot more difficult).

Anyway, it's cool to have another Infinite Jest fan here. The above rambling is probably more combative in tone than I intended.

Mumei

Something more like Honor Harrington, I guess--military scifi with one main protagonist leading some kind of expeditionary force. What threw me off the most was the new POV in every chapter. Just way, way too much to throw at the reader.

Maybe it's too much for this author to pull off smoothly? I like lots of shifting points of view when it's done well.

Lots of Jeff VanderMeer fans in here (myself included), might be interested to know he's sold another book (for a whole fat lot of jack).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...hor-jeff-vandermeer-796976?utm_source=twitter

Farrar Strauss Grioux has picked up the rights to Jeff VanderMeer’s newest novel Borne for a mid-six figure advance. Publication is expected in 2016.

Borne is set the future where a woman named Rachel scavenging for useable detritus stumbles on the a creature she calls the Borne, whose origins and composition (animal or plant? cruel experiment or deity?) are mysterious. A brief tease of dialogue hints at the premise:

“Am I a person?” Borne asks Rachel, in extremis.

“Yes, you are a person,” Rachel tells him. “But like a person, you can be a weapon, too."

I must be catching bits of conversation because there's no way you're putting whacky formatting in the same subset as Infinite Jest. The clever to be clever argument has to be largely guilt by association to guys like Pynchon. DFW has to be the least pretentious incredibly smart writer pretty much ever, it sort of defines his writing in no inconsequential way. So, what are we talking about, long sentences? Because unlike Faulkner or someone, those have the feeling of being painstakingly honed to be rid of tedium and labor(that's not a shot at Faulkner, it's just that his style can be a lot more difficult).

Anyway, it's cool to have another Infinite Jest fan here. The above rambling is probably more combative in tone than I intended.

It's all good. I'll be the first to admit: I've read widely, but not all that critically. You're probably right. Danielewski, while a good writer, relies more on stunts than Wallace, by a wide margin. Still, his ambition is enough for me to give him some room to prove his worth. 27 volumes of this? Is his publisher in this for the long run, knowing that latter volumes will sell four copies because everyone bailed long ago, or do they think that readers will stick with it? If this thing doesn't pay off quickly, how many readers can realistically be expected to hang with this? Then again, what's to say w that Danielewski will stay interested enough to see this thing through? (And, yes, I'm guilty for jumping on this early and wanting to get out in front of this thing...). :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
“Am I a person?” Borne asks Rachel, in extremis.

“Yes, you are a person,” Rachel tells him. “But like a person, you can be a weapon, too."
lmao

This is some grade school level writing. I'm sure it works in context but otherwise, it is nonsense. What an awful and misleading quote.
"No, Rachel, you are the weapons."

And then Rachel was a Borne.

Cade

lmao

This is some grade school level writing. I'm sure it works in context but otherwise, it is nonsense. What an awful and misleading quote.

I thought this was a bizarre quote to pull, too. I get what they were going for, but...

ShaneB

Man, I thought Pines was such a good start. Be sure you post your impressions in here 'cause I love reading other people's thoughts on that series.

Hearing that the show is not good, but still probably better than the books made me look back and realize just how much I hated the second and third books. The first one is a cool idea, but pretty meh, after that it just becomes laughably horrible.

Enjoyed the first book well enough. 3/5, dancing between like and really like... really nice set up and all that stuff, and some stupid stuff
Hate the abbies nonsense, people are evil enough, I can understand needing an outside force to instill fear, but meh, abbies is such a stupid name
Nice quick read which is always helpful when I feel like I need to get out of a mild slump, onto book 2 to see where it all goes wrong.

17920175.jpg

ryseing

Finished Station Eleven today. It wasn't bad, but towards the end I started asking, "What's the point?" It just kinda felt content to float through the plot and didn't really seem to have any major plot points that wowed me or shocked me. Maybe the banality was sort of the point? That the post-apocalypse would be really boring and muted and quiet? I dunno, not a terrible book by any means, but just felt very average.

On to some graphic novels before jumping into something new.

I was kinda shocked when I figured out who all the different people were and who had copies of the graphic novel.

Just shows the connections that can be found anywhere we look I guess.

Loved Station Eleven to bits. Probably the best book I read last year.

Muddling through Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I want to finish before the show premieres in America.

Can someone give me recommendations for books like HP Lovecraft's work? Something that has the grand scope of Lovecraft, highly imaginative but without being too derivative or cliche. Can be either fiction or high fantasy. I want to read more fiction stuff, but I don't know where to start.

Honestly? Revival by Stephen King. Already discussed it elsewhere in this thread, but it has some great Lovecraft overtones and themes. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I'd give it a shot.

Jintor

Started poking around the sample for Ghettotown. Not 100% on board with the 'written up' aspects of it (basically the bits where the author isn't just writing an essay and is trying to ground a sense of 'reality' in a place')

One thing I've noticed in trying to do a lot of nonfiction reading about cops, especially homicide cops is that race is an unavoidable subject matter if it's American cops (though I think the Miles Corwin book Homicide Special didn't have as much of a focus on it and, to be honest, this kind of detracted from its 'reality' so to speak - it ended up kind of reading like an run-of-the-mill cop doco on Discovery or something). I'd like to read some nonfiction on cops in other countries esp. Hong Kong or Tokyo or something but seems like there's no real books in that vein anywhere, at least none that I can find, least of all well-written ones. (I did grab a sample from a cop who was transferred from England to HK pre-handover that seems decent, but who knows).

I kinda feel like reading some fiction though, so I'll probably grab samples of all those female-focused fantasies readgaf recommended earlier.

Cade

Enjoyed the first book well enough. 3/5, dancing between like and really like... really nice set up and all that stuff, and some stupid stuff
Hate the abbies nonsense, people are evil enough, I can understand needing an outside force to instill fear, but meh, abbies is such a stupid name
Nice quick read which is always helpful when I feel like I need to get out of a mild slump, onto book 2 to see where it all goes wrong.

17920175.jpg

First book, had it been written standalone, would have been great I think. 3/5 is fair because some parts were so damn good and interesting and others were just... eh. I agree with you on the
Abbies
and that shit only gets worse..

FUME5

Anyone have an opinion on whether Dictionary of the Khazars is worth reading on Kindle, or if it only 'works' as a physical print?

fakefaker

Finished up reading The Video Watcher by Shawn Curtis Stibbards and thought it was enjoyable, and now jumping into The Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi by Mark Hodder.

17181852.jpg

17920175.jpg

You're pretty much mirroring my thoughts after the first book entirely.

Paertan

Going through all the Discworld books at the moment. I am currently at Wyrd Sisters. Have read many already but also missed many and now that Pratchett is sadly dead I thought it was a good time to read them all.

Mumei

9361589.jpg

I finished The Night Circus yesterday, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the book. I thought that the circus itself was inspired. I loved the attractions, the dreamlike sense of mystery and magic, the aesthetics of the circus.

... But the story felt half-baked, the characters seemed largely flat (even the principals), there was no sense of urgency or tension in the proceedings, the protagonists falling in love (it's on the back cover) felt like something that happened because it was supposed to happen (and seemed awkwardly melodramatic), and there just didn't seem to be much there. I suppose you could chalk up those issues I had with it to it being something of a fairy tale. I don't have the same expectations reading a fairy tale as I do a modern novel in terms of characterization, after all. But it still made it feel like an elaborate excuse to write about this really cool circus, rather than because she had a story to tell or characters she wanted to write about.

I think I liked it overall, but it could have been an all-time favorite with a more compelling story and characters matched to the circus.

Nymerio

9361589.jpg

I finished The Night Circus yesterday, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the book. I thought that the circus itself was inspired. I loved the attractions, the dreamlike sense of mystery and magic, the aesthetics of the circus.

... But the story felt half-baked, the characters seemed largely flat (even the principals), there was no sense of urgency or tension in the proceedings, the protagonists falling in love (it's on the back cover) felt like something that happened because it was supposed to happen (and seemed awkwardly melodramatic), and there just didn't seem to be much there. I suppose you could chalk up those issues I had with it to it being something of a fairy tale. I don't have the same expectations reading a fairy tale as I do a modern novel in terms of characterization, after all. But it still made it feel like an elaborate excuse to write about this really cool circus, rather than because she had a story to tell or characters she wanted to write about.

I think I liked it overall, but it could have been an all-time favorite with a more compelling story and characters matched to the circus.

Pretty much how I felt about it. Loved the book for the circus and the atmosphere but the rest was pretty meh. I think I may have been disappointed if I'd gone in with any expectations but going in blind I ended up loving it. I like the fairy tale comparison, that's how I explained it to my sister who also ended up liking it very much.

edit: eeek, top of the page.

Still going through the Qantum Thief. I like it but it throws around too many weird terms for its own good...

Reading this right now. It's actually kind of hard to read, and I find myself skimming parts here and there. I can understand the big picture stuff but when he goes into details he loses me. I'm not a physicist, nor even a scientist, so the really detail-oriented stuff is just too much.

Also the parts where he says, "The science says this but Chris Nolan said he didn't care, so make it work" are a little annoying. You want to make a film that's based on hard science but you don't want to change your story to be more accurate to said science? Just seems short-sighted and obtuse.

ngower

I was kinda shocked when I figured out who all the different people were and who had copies of the graphic novel.

Just shows the connections that can be found anywhere we look I guess.

Loved Station Eleven to bits. Probably the best book I read last year.

Hm, it always seemed pretty obvious who everyone was. I think the Prophet's revelation probably took the longest to figure out, but still figured it out pretty easily. So I could see how maybe that took out some of the enjoyment for me.

I picked up a few graphic novels (Blue Pills; Marbles; My Most Secret Desire) to burn through to try and get exposed to different stories. I really wanna get through A Feast For Crows but I seem allergic to the book or something. Just cannot bring myself to pick it up.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just started this yesterday.

I just got a review copy of Seveneves. It came with, among other things, some tequila, condoms, an emergency blanket, a barf bag, and Tang. Haha. Certainly caught my attention.

Zw3tlJll.jpg

Dennis

Banned
I just got a review copy of Seveneves. It came with, among other things, some tequila, condoms, an emergency blanket, a barf bag, and Tang. Haha. Certainly caught my attention.

Zw3tlJll.jpg

Who are you reviewing for?

And are you really a Hugo award winner?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Read the Season of Storms (the newest book in the Witcher universe) and the Skull Throne (the 4th volume of the Demon Cycle series).
After that I went back to Raising Steam, which is the only Discworld novel which I haven't finished yet.

When I'm done with RS, I'm thinking about jumping back to the Mistborn trilogy, namely the 2nd volume.

Top Bottom