• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2015)

Ratrat

I lose track of who here has read what, so I'm sorry if these aren't anything new to you.

Sabriel by Garth Nix (Start of a series.)
The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. LeGuin (Second in a series but can be read as stand-alone.)
The Spellcoats by Diana Wynne Jones (Third in a series but can be read as stand-alone.)
Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire
Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (Second in a series but can be read as stand-alone.)
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett

Most of the female fantasy series I know would be considered YA nowadays, and while I loved them growing up, I don't know if they're what you're looking for.
Why did you leave out Wicked by Gregory Maguire?

Anyway:
His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman
The Scar by China Mieville
The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke

Jintor

Thanks readgaf, I'll poke around.

Any thoughts on the Homicide stuff? I'm on a true crime bent but not about specific cases, more the general day-to-day life of professional detectives etc.

I'm re-reading A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons again due to the hype for Season 5. Unfortunately, as good as Season 5 is, I feel that these two books are just lacking in almost every-way. Pacing has been sacrificed for an overwhelming amount of world-building. I gotta say, though, that the Theon chapters are amazing! Probably the best the books have done. And
Daznakh's Pit
is a great set-piece.

One thing I find surprising is that there are numerous events and characters from these books that I have forgotten, even though I only read these two 4 years back, while the first three (which I read about 8 years ago), I remember very vividly. I just find most of them very lacklustre. Kind of glad that the show is cutting most of the egregious plot-lines.

I also read Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance recently, which was, hands down, one of the best fantasy books I've read in years! Apart from that, I read The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera, which was a very good read up on different perspectives on lives.

Cade

Finished up Bullpen Gospels on the weekend, and it gets a recommendation from me for anyone looking for a baseball book to read.

Seeing the ad for this at Amazon was a reminder about the tv show and liking the trailer, made me realize I should actually just read this next.

Pines (Wayward Pines #1) by Blake Crouch
15096164.jpg

Figure if I get hooked on the first one reading through the trilogy will be a nice distraction.

Man, I thought Pines was such a good start. Be sure you post your impressions in here 'cause I love reading other people's thoughts on that series.

mu cephei

Finally finished A Little Life. Quite possibly the bleakest, emotional and depressing novel I have ever read. So I suggest everyone should read it! Hanya Yanagihara is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I will continue to keep an eye out for new future works. Two for two thus far!

Hm. It was one of the most emotionally impactful novels I've ever read, but I didn't find it quite so bleak or depressing. There were highs in there, as well as lows, and I think it's those I choose to remember!

Any thoughts on the Homicide stuff? I'm on a true crime bent but not about specific cases, more the general day-to-day life of professional detectives etc.

I'm afraid I can't help with the Homicide stuff, but a few more fantasy books that haven't been mentioned, in order of how much I liked them:
The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay has a woman as one of the leads.
The Mordant's Need duology by Stephen Donaldson (The Mirror of her Dreams and A Man Rides Through).
Graceling series by Kristin Cashore (this is YA)
Jean M. Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear series, which is more prehistoric with a slight fantasy flavour (I gave up after the second or third book).
The Barbed Coil by J. V. Jones

There seems to be a lot more scifi and YA with female leads.

TTG

I found a Delillo book I really liked, third time's the charm I guess.

400.jpg

The first half of the book is brilliant, by the time Oswald is back in Texas things slow down, the ending crescendo is short of spectacular. Thematically it's thought provoking and sort of unique as far as I can make out, it's poignant in so many little ways, just makes you want to highlight paragraphs left and right. The ancillary characters, those behind the conspiracy, fall short, maybe a case of the author being enthralled with the event to a fault, assuming the reader would automatically find all of those names interesting.

Anyway, a really good book, maybe just a tier below the best I've read in the last year or so.

Finished up Bullpen Gospels on the weekend, and it gets a recommendation from me for anyone looking for a baseball book to read.

Seeing the ad for this at Amazon was a reminder about the tv show and liking the trailer, made me realize I should actually just read this next.

Pines (Wayward Pines #1) by Blake Crouch
15096164.jpg

Figure if I get hooked on the first one reading through the trilogy will be a nice distraction.

Hearing that the show is not good, but still probably better than the books made me look back and realize just how much I hated the second and third books. The first one is a cool idea, but pretty meh, after that it just becomes laughably horrible.

Cade

Hearing that the show is not good, but still probably better than the books made me look back and realize just how much I hated the second and third books. The first one is a cool idea, but pretty meh, after that it just becomes laughably horrible.
Yeah, I'm definitely checking out the show to see if it's better than the books at all. If it is, bonus. If not it's probably still entertaining

besada

Banned
So, my Hugo read so far:
[Note: I'm reading the Hugo award winning novels, starting at the beginning. Many of these I've read before, but I'm re-reading if it's been more than five years. I won't be going into too much detail, but will be giving a general recommend or not, in case you've ever wondered if the 1955 Hugo award winner was worth reading. (Hint: It's not)]

1953 - Alfred Bester / Demolished Man

Interesting, but the near lack of style and incredibly bland writing is likely to be an issue for the modern reader, this is going to be true for a lot of the Golden Age science fiction, of which this is a great example. The story features espers of varying powers, deranged businessmen, and a truly awful punishment.

RECOMMENDED

1954 - There was no winning Hugo novel for this year, as there were no Hugos. This year has a Retro Hugo, selected later: Rad Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, which is, of course, recommended.

1955 - Mark Clifton and Frank Riley / They'd Rather Be Right (The Forever Machine)

I have to admit, by the end I was skimming. This book is terrible. The Worldcon fans should be ashamed. The basic story is about a robot that gives people eternal youth and perfect mental health in return for them abandoning all prejudices. The robot's name is BOSSY.

NOT RECOMMENDED

1956 - Robert Heinlein / Double Star

This was some of the Heinlein I'd never read before. Stylistically it's Heinlein, so clean, clear, and quick. The story is about an actor named Lorenzo who is hired to play the role of a kidnapped politician so as to hide his kidnapping.

This is one of the problems with going back to read the old ones. The plots, which were often exciting and new, from our perspective have been beaten to death. In this case, the outcome of the story is obvious early on, robbing it of some of the tension it might have had for the original audience.

That said, for Heinlein it spends considerably more time building character than you see in most of his books, and Lorenzo is entertaining. The future world is interesting, and if you generally like Heinlein's work, you'll probably enjoy this.

RECOMMENDED

1957 - In 1957, the Hugo Award was only awarded to Magazines, because of reasons. As there's been no Retro Hugo for the year, there was nothing for me to read in this spot. Instead, here's a picture of Hugo Gernsback:
39lUMHY.jpg

1958 - Fritz Leiber / The Big Time

This was a really interesting book. Ostensibly about a secret war that rages throughout time and the zombies and ghosts who fight it, it's a well-written, moving book about the effects of war and a soldier's inability to ever really know the minds of his commanders.

The book takes place in a rest and rehabilitation center floating outside of time, and soldiers from every time period arrive to enjoy the ministrations of the young women of the center.

The book is remarkably progressive for 1958, including a variety of strong women characters, some unusual historical choices, and a few aliens to boot. And the style is lyric, with occasional bouts of surrealism. It's a book that belongs a few years down the road with the New Wave writers.

RECOMMENDED

1959 - James Blish / A Case of Conscience

Interesting book with a fascinating suggestion for future living right out of the Cold War. The general story is about a Jesuit priest and a team of scientists on a too-good-to-be-true planet, trying to decide how humanity will treat with the sentient alien, and whether they are aliens at all, or agents of Satan.

The writing is uneven. sometimes it's very well done, while others it stumbles from scene to scene. But the characters are interesting, if weakly developed, and development of the story is compelling.

RECOMMENDED

1960 - Robert Heinlein / Starship Troopers

It had been a long time since I read this book. Probably twenty-five years or more. So I was curious how well it held up. I'd forgotten that it's really just presented as a tiny slice of the war, from a single solder's perspective. It was both compelling and frustrating, as the story just tapers off with our main characters still engaged in combat, in an uncertain battle for survival.
Beyond that, I don't have a lot to say. The book has been discussed to death, and I can't think of anything I'd say to add significantly to the general opinion that it's a seminal work in modern science-fiction.

RECOMMENDED

[Next up: 61-70, which includes books like: Stranger in a Strange Land, The Man in the High Castle, Dune, and Stand on Zanzibar.]

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I just finished:

4vn5lBO.jpg

Winter Witch by Elaine Cunningham — One of the early Pathfinder Tales, this was a fun romp through a world I'm really beginning to love. Good action, interesting(ish) plot, but what surprised me the most is the depth to some of the character relationships that intertwine throughout the narrative: they're messy, emotional, and Cunningham refuses to tie them off with a neat bow at the end of the novel. Good stuff.

Now onto:

18464362.jpg

Updraft by Fran Wilde — Just a few pages in, but it starts with a bang and the world is fascinating.

I just finished:

4vn5lBO.jpg

Winter Witch by Elaine Cunningham — One of the early Pathfinder Tales, this was a fun romp through a world I'm really beginning to love. Good action, interesting(ish) plot, but what surprised me the most is the depth to some of the character relationships that intertwine throughout the narrative: they're messy, emotional, and Cunningham refuses to tie them off with a neat bow at the end of the novel. Good stuff.

Now onto:

18464362.jpg

Updraft by Fran Wilde — Just a few pages in, but it starts with a bang and the world is fascinating.

I want to get into Pathfinder Tales but have no idea where to start.

Finished these two last night
5132hsr-LbL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
And_Then_There_Were_None_US_First_Edition_Cover_1940.jpg

OITNB was sort of bland. The show is much, much better because of the decision to use Piper as a gateway into the other characters.

ATTWN is my first Christie novel as well as my first classic mystery in...quite some time.
I loved it and after an initial adjustment period to get used to the language it was riveting and I didn't put it down until I had finished. I'll definitely be reading more of her soon.

Ok, Reading-GAF. I just finished reading The Killer Ascendent by Barry Eisler (excellent book, btw) and want to take a small break from the John Rain series for a little while. I'm looking for a book about an inspirational protagonist. Somebody with a personality similar to Superman, Ned Stark, Mark Waid's Daredevil, Atticus Finch, or Captain America. Somebody that makes you want to be a better person. I'm not looking to read something about some cynical guy that's got all these problems and the world is against him. I want the protagonist to just be a good person. It could be a cop, detective, soldier, whatever. It could be a mystery book or science fiction. What do you guy's think?

aidan

And the cover is badass.

Isn't it? It's by Stephan Martiniere.

I want to get into Pathfinder Tales but have no idea where to start.

I was in the same boat, so I just went to the Paizo website and started reading synopses of the various books and singled out the ones that seemed most interested. With names like Tim Pratt (who's won a Hugo Award), Howard Andrew Jones, etc. writing in the universe, I was assured that series editor James L. Sutter wasn't fooling around.

After that, I just went to my local bookstore and grabbed one of the books on my list. They're all essentially standalone, even books from authors featuring the same characters, so you can basically start anywhere you like.

These are the ones that initially caught my eye:

Isn't it? It's by Stephan Martiniere.

I was in the same boat, so I just went to the Paizo website and started reading synopses of the various books and singled out the ones that seemed most interested. With names like Tim Pratt (who's won a Hugo Award), Howard Andrew Jones, etc. writing in the universe, I was assured that series editor James L. Sutter wasn't fooling around.

After that, I just went to my local bookstore and grabbed one of the books on my list. They're all essentially standalone, even books from authors featuring the same characters, so you can basically start anywhere you like.

These are the ones that initially caught my eye:

That's good to know, thanks Aidan. I was worried about order of reading, multiple series and so forth. When I heard Sam Sykes had signed to do one, my interest doubled.

aidan

That's good to know, thanks Aidan. I was worried about order of reading, multiple series and so forth. When I heard Sam Sykes had signed to do one, my interest doubled.

Sykes coming on board, and then Max Gladstone, is what really pushed me over the edge and finally got me reading the series. I've been having a lot of fun.

tried it, parted ways amicably. Wasn't into it.

ya

Oh really? What didn't you like about the Mistborn books? I'm on the 2nd book and I think it's fantastic.

After the Mistborn trilogy though, will break and move to these before continuing with Brandon Sanderson again.

24631172.jpg

23559647.jpg

16278318.jpg

Jag

It sounds like the Forgotten Realms books with various authors writing on different regions, people, etc. How does it compare? I may need to get my fix for pulpy D&D type action.

aidan

It sounds like the Forgotten Realms books with various authors writing on different regions, people, etc. How does it compare? I may need to get my fix for pulpy D&D type action.

Very similar. They're all set in Golarion, a world developed for the Pathfinder RPG, which itself was created by the team who designed D&D 3.5. It's classic pulp fantasy, but with a world that, in my opinion, far surpasses the Forgotten Realms in terms of depth, variety, and diversity.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

The Poisoner's Handbook.

Although its not quite what you want. Its about the birth of modern forensic science, exploreing numerous poison based murders during Jazz Age New York and also the history of these substances.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, I need recs: a) Fantasy, female protagonist, not too grimdark.

Jane Lindskold - Through Wolf's Eyes (This is the first part of a six book series, completed)
Laurie J Marks - Fire Logic (Four book series, uncompleted)
Barbara Hambly - Dragonsbane (Part of a series, but standalone as the rest of the books were written a decade later and kind of crap.)
Peter S Beagle - Tamsin
C.J. Cherryh - The Paladin
Janny Wurts - Daughter of the Empire
Catherynne M. Valente - Deathless
Catherynne M. Valente - Fairyland
For some lighter female oriented fantasy you can never go wrong with Tamora Pierce.

I personally rate all of these books very highly. Lindskold's Firekeeper series is among my favorites. Dragonsbane is wonderful. Laurie J Marks may veer too much into grimdark for you, I'm not sure there. Beagle is Beagle - amazing. Cherryh's The Paladin has an awful summary, but I found it very good. I love Valente's prose, but I think she needs to learn some restraint at times. Janny Wurts is the only one I'd say is maybe of iffy quality - the ending to that series soured me a bit.

aidan

Barbara Hambly - Dragonsbane (Part of a series, but standalone as the rest of the books were written a decade later and kind of crap.)

Ooh! I'll second this recommendation. Also, The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley (multi-POV, but most of the viewpoint characters are female or amorphously gendered.)

Pau

Why did you leave out Wicked by Gregory Maguire?
I tried to pick one book per author, and Wicked, while not grim dark, is more pessimistic than Confessions.

I should actually re-read it. The first time I was like 12 and a lot went over my head. (Like anything involving sexuality...)

Three more nonfiction books ordered, though one in economics and another political science. I hope this time, the political science one [End of Discussion: How the Left's Outrage Industry Shuts Down Debate, Manipulates Voters, and Makes America Less Free (and Fun)] wont put me to sleep. Ive yet to find one that can actually write an interesting book without thrusting their viewpoints onto the reader :(

Should be starting The Influence Machine: The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Corporate Capture of American Life once I get it tuesday.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reading Die Ausgewanderten (The Emigrants) by Sebald. Very interesting docu-fictionary short stories about four jewish emigrants from Central Europe in the beginning of last century. I wonder where he took all the pictures from, does anybody know?

Kaladin

22860215.jpg

I saw a recommendation for it by Brandon Sanderson and it was recommended for Robert Jordan fans and even had the guy that did the Wheel of Time audiobooks doing the audiobooks for this.

It's a debut novel, and you can tell, but there are some interesting developments in the plot that make it interesting.

aidan

22860215.jpg

I saw a recommendation for it by Brandon Sanderson and it was recommended for Robert Jordan fans and even had the guy that did the Wheel of Time audiobooks doing the audiobooks for this.

It's a debut novel, and you can tell, but there are some interesting developments in the plot that make it interesting.

How have I never heard of this? *goes digging*

Akahige

Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, another Gaiman book read in one sitting, the world and characters weren't nearly as rich and exciting as The Graveyard Book, felt like it would have worked better as short story. The last 60 pages really seemed to fall apart.

Peru

Three more nonfiction books ordered, though one in economics and another political science. I hope this time, the political science one [End of Discussion: How the Left's Outrage Industry Shuts Down Debate, Manipulates Voters, and Makes America Less Free (and Fun)] wont put me to sleep. Ive yet to find one that can actually write an interesting book without thrusting their viewpoints onto the reader :(

I think you made a wrong choice.

Jintor

Oh really? What didn't you like about the Mistborn books? I'm on the 2nd book and I think it's fantastic.

mainly it felt like I was reading a Dungeonmaster's exposition guide and the action sequences felt like I was reading someone recount their video game experiences while explaining why things were happening

Cyrus_Saren

I finished up The Hobbit and was planning on starting The Lord of the Rings but ended up getting sidetracked by The World of Ice and Fire. So, that's what I'm reading at the moment.

duckroll

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

This was okay. Pretty sad in context, but also oddly unaffecting compared to many of Murakami's other works. It seems to lack the atmosphere and moody tone which defines his better character pieces. It's much closer to Norwegian Wood and South of the Border than his more complex works, but lacks flavor of both those works. The Nagoya Tsukuru grew up in doesn't really feel like a unique place in his memory so much as a story device to reconnect him with his past. Everything also feels so straightforward and linear, that even with the quirks along the way it almost feels lazy. In the sense, maybe the tone it was going for was a reflection of the protagonist himself - someone who clearly has interesting qualities and is capable of attracting the attention of others, but lacks the self-confidence to take advantage of that and is instead content believing that he is something much plainer and emptier. Regardless of intent, I don't think this was particularly memorable.

mdubs

Banned
I'm about 4 volumes into Oyasumi Punpun, it's fantastic as I expected, very eerie stuff in the most engaging way. It some ways, it strikes me as a bit of a spiritual companion to Nijigahara Holograph because of the horrorish elements in the same way What a Wonderful World and Solanin feel like they are on a similar wave length.

This was okay. Pretty sad in context, but also oddly unaffecting compared to many of Murakami's other works. It seems to lack the atmosphere and moody tone which defines his better character pieces. It's much closer to Norwegian Wood and South of the Border than his more complex works, but lacks flavor of both those works. The Nagoya Tsukuru grew up in doesn't really feel like a unique place in his memory so much as a story device to reconnect him with his past. Everything also feels so straightforward and linear, that even with the quirks along the way it almost feels lazy. In the sense, maybe the tone it was going for was a reflection of the protagonist himself - someone who clearly has interesting qualities and is capable of attracting the attention of others, but lacks the self-confidence to take advantage of that and is instead content believing that he is something much plainer and emptier. Regardless of intent, I don't think this was particularly memorable.

I agree that it is weaker than both Norwegian Wood and South of the Border in never quite achieving the emotional heft the other two had. The plot elements just don't come together in as satisfying a way as in his other works, for example
the subplot with his best friend and dreaming about him went nowhere and wasn't really relevant to the main plot. As well, the final reveal of why his friends shunned him was a lot more simple and less textured than I would have expected
The ending is also a lot weaker, with the final act of the book not reaching the same level as South of the Border and the final resolution not punching nearly as hard as Norwegian Wood (which had a masterful ending in my opinion, that final line).

I still enjoyed Tsukuru Tazaki because of that pure Murakami atmosphere as well as enjoying the journey as Tsukuru attempted to find himself, but I don't consider it one of his best works. I'd put it above 1Q84 but below Norwegian Wood, South of the Border and Sputnik Sweetheart (have you read this one?), those three of which I think are absolutely fantastic.

Mumei

I felt exactly the same way, myself. But I have been talking about it with a friend of mine who feels differently, and he pointed me in the direction of a book about Murakami's work leading up to and including Colorless Tsukuru, and since I've never actually read any sort of systematic analysis of his work, I am interested in seeing what it's like. I found it at the bookstore today and picked it up.

The Amazon review I linked to, aside from the bits about learning to read in Japanese well enough to read the books, really describes my experience with Murakami from the earlier books I read (even up through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle) to my doubts as to what's ultimately there, and there's apparently an entire section dedicated to Murakami. I still don't think it will make it seem affecting to me, but I hope it'll give me an interesting perspective on what he was trying to achieve.

duckroll

Well, I've heard that perspective a lot - the one about people falling in love with Murakami and then having doubts about whether there's really something there or if it's a formula. I personally never felt that way though, because I think I approach his works a bit differently. I do enjoy how in many of his works he weaves urban fantasy and mystic realism into the narratives for flavor, but as far as that formula goes I don't think that is what makes him a great author. Does he use certain elements readers have come to expect simply because it is part of his brand? Maybe. But I don't think that matters.

What draws me to his works is his ability to tell a story. That can't be faked or manufactured because if it works at all, then it's the real deal. What I mean is that his narratives are less about specific story arcs about the main characters, so much as using characters as a vehicle and framing device to tell curious tales and anecdotes in an engaging way. The overall narrative of his stories are almost always made up of a bunch of vignettes. Slices of a life, just a life that is usually rather strange. Those vignettes are the meat, and he's great at writing those.

In Tsukuru Tazaki, the best example of this is Haida telling the story his father told him. In the end that story might not have had anything at all to do with the rest of the book. Yet it had a profound impact on Tsukuru. It made him wonder about certain things, even towards the very end. Everyone can relate to that. You hear a weird and curious story from a close friend or family member, and then it sticks in your head and you start to imagine what it could mean. If you have an overactive imagination you can start connecting it to other things you experience in your life too.

That is the magic of Murakami, and it transcends language. If anyone has any doubts about this and has not read his non-fiction book Underground, definitely give it a go. There Murakami's talent is stripped of all his celebrity flair and the commercial brand he uses for his fiction books. What remains is the Murakami with a strong journalistic passion for seeking out stories from others, and being able to retell them in a voice that makes people want to sit up and listen.

So yeah, I have no doubts that for all his ups and downs, he's the real deal. If you only read his commercial fiction and read a few of his "big" novels in a row, there's definitely a fatigue. I definitely think he has a weakness for overdoing things sometimes, and some of his books could do with more comprehensive editing than they already have. I guess it's harder for editors when authors are super successful and famous though.

Necrovex

Hm. It was one of the most emotionally impactful novels I've ever read, but I didn't find it quite so bleak or depressing. There were highs in there, as well as lows, and I think it's those I choose to remember!

Ok, maybe I am exaggerating about the total bleakness of the novel. There are certainly some positivity within the book, even though they can be sparse at times. But that only makes the darkness of it all even more grueling.

After seeing some of the posts regarding female protagonist in a fantasy setting, I decided to finally start reading 'A City of Stairs.' About to hit the quarter mark, and I am quite enjoying this universe.

Should be starting The Influence Machine: The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Corporate Capture of American Life once I get it tuesday.

Sings the old Sesame Street song, 'One of these things is not like the other...'

So yeah, I have no doubts that for all his ups and downs, he's the real deal. If you only read his commercial fiction and read a few of his "big" novels in a row, there's definitely a fatigue. I definitely think he has a weakness for overdoing things sometimes, and some of his books could do with more comprehensive editing than they already have. I guess it's harder for editors when authors are super successful and famous though.

As someone who greatly enjoyed Norwegian Wood and grew frustrated with Wind-Up Bird's aimless feel, which of his works would you recommend? Underground? It seems like the majority of his works are in the style of Wind-Up, but -- and I realize that this is a vague question -- are there other novels of his that carry a bit more emotional weight or direction in their characters?

duckroll

As someone who greatly enjoyed Norwegian Wood and grew frustrated with Wind-Up Bird's aimless feel, which of his works would you recommend? Underground? It seems like the majority of his works are in the style of Wind-Up, but -- and I realize that this is a vague question -- are there other novels of his that carry a bit more emotional weight or direction in their characters?

South of the Border West of the Sun without a doubt. I like it better than Norwegian Wood. It's similar in format - an adult looking back on his life and reflecting on his experiences of love, loss, and so on. If you like stuff in this style, I would also recommend looking for his short story collections instead. When he has less space for story, they naturally become more personal vignettes, which is probably what you're looking for.

Out of his weirder story driven works, my favorite is Hard-boiled Wonderland. You might want to give that a try.

Underground is a great read if you're interested in having insight into the Tokyo Subway Gas Attacks though. It's not a fiction novel, but rather a series of interviews Murakami conducted with survivors, family of victims, and members of the cult involved.

TTG

I started this as per your post. Entertaining so far, but holy balls 1100+ pages? It's going to have to be a complement to some other stuff, that much action adventure on its own won't work.

The opening chapters make it seem a very fitting recommendation for all those "I've read ASOIAF, now what?" posts.

JGLS

I found a Delillo book I really liked, third time's the charm I guess.

The first half of the book is brilliant, by the time Oswald is back in Texas things slow down, the ending crescendo is short of spectacular. Thematically it's thought provoking and sort of unique as far as I can make out, it's poignant in so many little ways, just makes you want to highlight paragraphs left and right. The ancillary characters, those behind the conspiracy, fall short, maybe a case of the author being enthralled with the event to a fault, assuming the reader would automatically find all of those names interesting.

Anyway, a really good book, maybe just a tier below the best I've read in the last year or so.

I've been wanting to read Don DeLillo for a while now, but haven't found a good entry-level novel of his (admittedly due to lack of research on my part) since I'm not a fan of Postmodernism. However, this seems like a really interesting story and it might be what I'm looking for.

cheezcake

I finished The Wise Man's Fear, it was fun in the same way the first book was but much more frustrating in that practically no overarching questions were answered. And since we know there's only one book left I don't really see an ending in sight, unless the trilogy actually just finishes with him completing the story he's telling Chronicler and nothing afterwards. That would be unsatisfying to say the least.

Think I'm going to start on Chronicles of Amber now.

pa22word

First time I've dabbled with this publisher from the "other side of the pond", so here goes...

51kjAcXV4EL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

One of my favorite Roman Generals finally got a book about him in english
written this century
!

...and it's about what you'd expect =\

Loads and loads of paragraphs that sum up events and then end with the unfortunate, yet expected, "oh and agrippa might have been there too" or "agrippa most likely would have had a say in that discussion". Dude does his best to make up for the lack of information on the guy, but given that there's just not much of anything there anyways....I can only recommend it if you're just a diehard Roman history guy, but then again I'm probably wasting my breath as if you were you'd probably have already decided whether or not to buy it yet.

Has awesome maps though, which are good enough to almost warrant a purchase as it is.

Up next:

51t-r5QQjIL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Second volume on a three part series on the Seleukids. Book store only had this one in stock, but considering the man and the era I think it'll be safe to read on its own while I wait on vol1 to arrive.

Oh, and I have a book over Sertorius called "Sertorius and the Struggle For Spain" by Phillip Matyszak by the same publisher also on order. Any UK gaffers give me a heads up on Pen and Sword as a publisher? Worth keeping an eye on?

TTG

I've been wanting to read Don DeLillo for a while now, but haven't found a good entry-level novel of his (admittedly due to lack of research on my part) since I'm not a fan of Postmodernism. However, this seems like a really interesting story and it might be what I'm looking for.

There's not much postmodernist about Libra that I can make out, but then again I can't give a comprehensive definition of that school of thought. A summary of my attempts to read Delillo would be something like a writer with apparent and great talent that writes thematically driven books about themes I don't find interesting. To be fair, not always successfully either. After finishing Mao II(entirely forgettable, excepting for a scene where a couple of characters watch the funeral of Ayatollah Khomeini, which is as captivating as anything period) and abandoning White Noise, I wasn't expecting to like Libra, but it's great. And Oswald is the first character of Delillo's that I felt strongly emotional about, so that's a plus as well.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I like it. Men in small rooms. The need to see a narrative, to feel a part of something because the alternative is too cruel. Ordinary American suffering through Oswald's destitute youth that feels almost kindred and the creature it spawns, still with tendrils of qualities I(we) can identify with. I still think not a small bit of potency erodes through the latter third of it, but there's plenty there to leave a strong, lasting impression.

Top Bottom