• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2015)

I think there's one more book left in the series after this one.

WKulziM.jpg

Kirie

Took me a day to finish Stephen King's Joyland. Was way better than expected! Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Going to start Revival today since I've heard a lot of good things about it so far.

jtb

Banned
I've been wanting to read Don DeLillo for a while now, but haven't found a good entry-level novel of his (admittedly due to lack of research on my part) since I'm not a fan of Postmodernism. However, this seems like a really interesting story and it might be what I'm looking for.

White Noise is a great entry point for DeLillo also.

South of the Border West of the Sun without a doubt. I like it better than Norwegian Wood. It's similar in format - an adult looking back on his life and reflecting on his experiences of love, loss, and so on. If you like stuff in this style, I would also recommend looking for his short story collections instead. When he has less space for story, they naturally become more personal vignettes, which is probably what you're looking for.

Out of his weirder story driven works, my favorite is Hard-boiled Wonderland. You might want to give that a try.

Underground is a great read if you're interested in having insight into the Tokyo Subway Gas Attacks though. It's not a fiction novel, but rather a series of interviews Murakami conducted with survivors, family of victims, and members of the cult involved.

Thanks, I'll check out South of the Border first then -- sounds like what I need right now

fakefaker

Wrapped up The Sasquatch Hunter's Almanac by Sharma Shields tonight and enjoyed the quirkiness and emotional drama of it. Having your mum run away with Bigfoot can mess you up! Now onto late night video viewing and alienation with The Video Watcher by Shawn Curtis Stibbards.

23282217.jpg

Peru

I'm ~reading~ the news that we're getting a Bronte sisters biopic on BBC written and directed by Sally Wainwright (Happy Valley, Last Tango in Halifax) and I'm so stoked. This will be out next year, on Charlotte's 200th birthday.

There are too many Hollywood-worthy perfect biopic scenes from their actual lives, I don't see how SW can fuck this up. Like when Anne and Charlotte turn up unanounnced at the publisher's office to reveal that the people behind the explosive manuscripts sent in are in fact these "rather quaintly dressed little ladies". Or when Charlotte meets the great literary stars of the time only to list their literary faults to their faces.

Hope this and the other events next year will get more people reading both Charlotte's less famous novels and Anne's brutal Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Donos

Finished the main series of Alastair Reynolds "Revelation space" (four books) and it was a really nice trip. I like the technology and universe he has created. Still have to read the short stories and side novels (the white ones in the pic above) which are in the same universe but have no story connection to the main series.

Some things that bothered me in the end (don't read if you haven't finished "Absolution Gap")

Why Quaiche still wanted to build his cathedral when the disguise from Haldora was gone?. Why should people come to Hela anymore, to see a strange machine they don't understand instead of the moon with the mysterious vanishing? Would the haldora "maschine" not remember him every day that it was not really a godly happening with Haldora but something different with a more scientific explanation (which the shadows also said to him)?

Vasko... wtf, what was with that character??? It got hinted two/three times that he would play a big role, maybe as a successor to Clavain but in the end he was just annoying "hey, hey, i can still run back and save the Shadows" (while the cathedral was close to falling off the bridge). His character was written very strange and rather poor. Don't see the real meaning of him besides saying "i see it different" to Scorpio every time a big decision was to make.
Scorpio came off as very egoistic in a lot of situation but you could still understand why he decided this or that way (most of the time).

The special AI of the Inhibitors never surfaced again after it got some interesting pages in Redemption Ark. Thought it would play a larger role. Wasted potential.
Inhibitors where rather a side note in Absolution Gap (although they are the main reason for most things the crew around "The Captain" does.). The huge threat of the Inhibitors gets "resolved" rather short in a few little sentences in the epiloge of Absolution gap.

Oh, and was that my boy Hausmann/Tanner Scorpio saw coming out the shuttle which survived the Yellowstone annihilation?

Also liked that Reynolds didn't write out every situation and instead skipped them (Absolution Gap spoiler)
death of Clavain and a few other ones i forgot

Sorry for my shaky english.

Rafy

I am currently reading Lords of The Sith as I'd like to review it. It's a great book so far although I did notice a bit of a pacing problem in the beginning. It later picks up and delivers constant action.

It's written very well and the fact that you learn more about Vader and his relationship with the Emperor is the icing on the cake.

I also started another series by Andy McDermott. What can I say, I am a sucker for the Dan Brown style books. I have also been looking for Atlantis books for a while now and the first one in the series is about that so, yeah...

Mumei

Picked up some books in Chicago:

16948.jpg
12679626.jpg
12844160.jpg

15783514.jpg
21944445.jpg
9361589.jpg

18698892.jpg
18930.jpg

I might have forgotten one or two since I don't have the stack with me :x

Donos

q71BLPd.gif

That's how i picture some of you. Although i think i'm a rather fast reader.

I whish i could, for one year, only read every day and catch up with some essentials, classics etc. I also wanted to reread all the X-Wing and some other EU books but this is on hold indefinitely. Sold a box full of them for 30 € on ebay.

Eidan

Currently reading The Death and Life of Great American Cities. I'm trying to read more of the "must-read" novels involving urban planning and design, and this was one I came across often. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

I'm reading Fledgling right now. This is definitely an interesting book. Octavia mostly brings the flair. I just hope it doesn't end up disappointing me like Parable of the Sawyer and Clay's Ark.

So Mark Z. Danielewski of House of Leaves fame has a new book out today:

Reviews are polarized, to say the least. The Guardian called it unreadable. Still, I'm intrigued. Anyone here gonna give it a shot?

I'm about 200 pages in. It's certainly holding my interest, and The Guardian's review is complete garbage. *Some* of it is mildly challenging. Quite a lot of it isn't.

tariniel

I'm making some solid progress on Malazan 8 'Toll the Hounds'. I had a really hard time getting into this one, even though I was somewhat excited at the start because of more Anomander Rake
of which, nothing overly interesting happened with him yet.
. I pushed through the typical slow start these books have and have started to enjoy it a bit more in the middle (60% done).

So far, though, it's my least favorite of the series. I'm hoping the 2nd half can change that.

The last 3 books in this series each took 1 month for me to read. I'm currently at 3 months for this one, so I think that says a lot...

Finished The Fifth Heart today. It was .. ok. It started strong and then kind of meandered and delved into the personal lives of the main character's friend for no particular reason and then with about 50 pages to go Simmons was like "oh yeah I have to finish this book!" The main mystery of the story was more or less an after thought. Drood was so much better by comparison.

Now on to Stoner. I zipped through about 10% in a few minutes and already love it. Can't wait to read more.

Stoner by John Williams

Looking around for some good sci fi books to read, landed on these 3: Hyperion, Neuromancer and stranger in a strange land. Which of these 3 would you guys recommend that I read first? Which is most enjoyable and though provoking?

Looking around for some good sci fi books to read, landed on these 3: Hyperion, Neuromancer and stranger in a strange land. Which of these 3 would you guys recommend that I read first? Which is most enjoyable and though provoking?

Personally, I'd suggest Neuromancer, though I haven't read Hyperion.

Stranger in a Strange Land was not anything I would consider enjoyable.

Stranger in a Strange Land is probably the most 'important' but I'd go with Hyperion or Neuromancer first. I had more fun with Neuromancer but both books are great. Its a toss up really.

Donos

Before reading the remaining Novels and short stories of Revelation Space Universe i decided to shove in the "DJ Molles - The Remaining" books since they seem to be quick, short and easy readings and got posted here a few times.

Reading up the opinions about "Absolution Gap", a lot of people share the same sentiment with how shoe horned the last books feels.

Bazza

4978.jpg

5093.jpg

5091.jpg

Well that's the Dark Tower finished, it was quite the journey.
The final book is full of heartbreak, I expected Eddie to die at some point, but not Jake, I had him down as the last man standing.

Loved Oy, cant believe I forgot about his death being shown in an earlier book so when it happened it was still a shock.

The parts in the book with Steven King were a little weird, I can see why they were written but as soon as he made his appearance in the books my immersion in the story broke. When I read, whatever I'm reading is (temporarily) real in my head for the duration of the book/story. As soon as SK made his appearance it kind of killed the magic of the book and I couldn't completely push the 'its just a story' out of my mind which hindered my enjoyment a little.

Not entirely sure how I feel about the ending, definitely gutted for Roland but it seems the next run on the tower will be the last, Also happy that Susannah got to live and didn't end up in todash.

No clue what to start next :/

Cade

I had to tap out after three Splinter Cell extended universe novels in a row. The fourth one I was reading was literally the same story as the third, but from a different perspective, so I had to stop. Got me in the mood for Splinter Cell though, so pls show one at e3 thanks ubi.

I'm still reading The Last Wish but I think I'm gonna read this at the same time:
Desperationbook.jpg

TTG

Well that's the Dark Tower finished, it was quite the journey....
The parts in the book with Steven King were a little weird, I can see why they were written but as soon as he made his appearance in the books my immersion in the story broke. When I read, whatever I'm reading is (temporarily) real in my head for the duration of the book/story. As soon as SK made his appearance it kind of killed the magic of the book and I couldn't completely push the 'its just a story' out of my mind which hindered my enjoyment a little.

I thought that was a mistake as well. If we dismiss his ego being the motivation, whatever meta element he was trying to pursue didn't work and was ultimately not worth it. You're right, call it breaking immersion(the most popular cliche) or seeming contrived or artificial, that's an important element for that type of book and I guess King didn't see that as a priority.

It also seemed as if he was involuntarily vomiting plot non stop for the latter books. I've read The Shining since and he has shown a sense of pacing and patience. With the Dark Tower, the cornucopia of shit happening all the time never stopped, even on the doorstep of the tower he was introducing new characters and perils.

It's no indictment on the series, I really like the books, they were a lot of fun. But it those faults do keep the reader at an arm's length. To me, The Dark Tower is about some really cool ideas(spaghetti western + lord of the rings + Arthurain mythology + sci fi zaniness), parts where King's storytelling really shines(the whole first book, the flashback to Roland's youth/katet story, Lud) and that intangible sense of the super cool moment he has. Anything from "You've forgotten the face of your father" to dropping Jake in the abyss, he can make a moment feel awesome without seeming over stylized or gauche. I'm not as familiar with fantasy books as a lot of people here, so I haven't heard a tankard of ale described every possible way, but that ability is essentially unparalleled in the genre. Good stuff!

pa22word

Finished The Fifth Heart today. It was .. ok. It started strong and then kind of meandered and delved into the personal lives of the main character's friend for no particular reason and then with about 50 pages to go Simmons was like "oh yeah I have to finish this book!" The main mystery of the story was more or less an after thought. Drood was so much better by comparison.

Now on to Stoner. I zipped through about 10% in a few minutes and already love it. Can't wait to read more.

Stoner by John Williams

Make sure to check out Augustus by Williams after you finish Stoner if you're at all interested in ancient Rome.

I also read Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance recently, which was, hands down, one of the best fantasy books I've read in years! Apart from that, I read The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera, which was a very good read up on different perspectives on lives.

i like what i have read of kundera a lot. unbearable lightness of being is probably my favorite, but i also really like the joke. i think he has a new book coming out in english this year.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

This was okay. Pretty sad in context, but also oddly unaffecting compared to many of Murakami's other works. It seems to lack the atmosphere and moody tone which defines his better character pieces. It's much closer to Norwegian Wood and South of the Border than his more complex works, but lacks flavor of both those works. The Nagoya Tsukuru grew up in doesn't really feel like a unique place in his memory so much as a story device to reconnect him with his past. Everything also feels so straightforward and linear, that even with the quirks along the way it almost feels lazy. In the sense, maybe the tone it was going for was a reflection of the protagonist himself - someone who clearly has interesting qualities and is capable of attracting the attention of others, but lacks the self-confidence to take advantage of that and is instead content believing that he is something much plainer and emptier. Regardless of intent, I don't think this was particularly memorable.

South of the Border West of the Sun without a doubt. I like it better than Norwegian Wood. It's similar in format - an adult looking back on his life and reflecting on his experiences of love, loss, and so on. If you like stuff in this style, I would also recommend looking for his short story collections instead. When he has less space for story, they naturally become more personal vignettes, which is probably what you're looking for.

Out of his weirder story driven works, my favorite is Hard-boiled Wonderland. You might want to give that a try.

Underground is a great read if you're interested in having insight into the Tokyo Subway Gas Attacks though. It's not a fiction novel, but rather a series of interviews Murakami conducted with survivors, family of victims, and members of the cult involved.

i have only read 1q84 and colorless tsukuru. i really liked 1q84, but didn't love colorless. i enjoyed it while i was reading it, but when i was done i sorta felt like "that's it?". similar to a lot of the issues you identify. maybe ill try some of the recommendations you list here.

inki

The Velvet Rage - Growing up Gay in a Straight mans world.
shopping

Then when my husband gets back from England on Saturday I'll be reading The Scarlet Gospels UK edition (nothing special about it, just better cover) by Clive Barker.
both-covers.png

Then I'm going to start reading through The HP Lovecraft Complete Edition
9781435122963_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Woorloog

Banned
-one of the aforementioned telepaths who carries a tree around because it helps her be a telepath or something

Is this part of the Saga of the Seven Suns? It had telepaths who communicated via trees (that were an "elemental" race, there were water, fire (living in star) and air (living in gas giant) races).

Kevin J. Anderson's works are good examples for studying cliches (and bad writing) for sure. He does sometimes write good stuff, like a broken clock...

EDIT Show, don't tell. Very good advice to amateurs, i think. That one scifi book (EDIT I am 99% sure it was the writer's first published book) i keep complaining about but don't remember name... it suffered from issues like Anderson's books have, filled with exposition that is not interested nor relevant and comes from an universal narrator rather than limited third-person one the book used otherwise. Experienced writers probably can tell things well without getting bogged down. Or should be able, anyway.

Mumei

Started Kevin J Anderson's The Dark Between the Stars, one of the Hugo nominees this year. I made it about six chapter in before putting it down in boredom. At the six chapter mark, we've met a whole bunch of characters and had a bunch of POVs (one per chapter, jeez, give us something solid to hang onto), but none of them are particularly interesting.

We've got:
-brave whistleblower man, stealing a spaceship and fleeing with his kid
-bad mom, who works for evil businessman and cares too much about work and not enough about the above kid
-some pilot of some kind of fancy ship? I dunno, this part was loaded with random exposition about mages and emeperors and telepaths and other vaguely fantasy novel shit? So I kind of lost track.
-one of the aforementioned telepaths who carries a tree around because it helps her be a telepath or something
-an archivist (and his noble savage warrior woman pal). This was the most interesting one, as he had something to do and had a personality. Unfortunately he also told us straight-faced that the novices in this temple he was visiting became full priests by memorizing a billion-line poem. Um. Even if you could memorize a line a second and literally never did anything else including sleep, that would take 32 years. Since you can't memorize a line a second and you do have to sleep... yeah sorry, this is too dumb for me to get past. (Also I checked the chapter listings, and it looked like the archivist didn't get another POV for like thirty chapters. Come on man, this was the only one that grabbed me at all!)

I had a conversation with Mumei yesterday about "show don't tell." My feeling is that it's overbroad advice that might be useful for novice writers but shouldn't be taken to an extreme, and because people do tend to take it to an extreme, I'm not a big fan of it. Of course, that was before I read Kevin J Anderson. Someone should've really given this dude that advice somewhere along the way. Good God the writing is dull and plodding and telly.

This book is part of the "Sad Puppies" slate for the Hugo Awards, on the basis that Kevin J Anderson has been around a long time and hasn't won a Hugo yet, and that this is probably because of the liberal cabal that works to prevent milSF authors from winning. Frankly, after reading this, I'm pretty sure I know why he hasn't won any awards.

Before you read it, what were you expecting?

I started listening to Starship Troopers this morning, and I'm not sure about the narrator. Does anyone else have books narrated by Lloyd James that they can tell me about? He just doesn't seem in to the book at all, almost like it's a rote reading.

Top Bottom