• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2015)

LProtag

I really got distracted from my reading for the past month or so.

Giving this a shot.

pBPpmRu.jpg

I'm enjoying it, but not as much as everyone who's mentioned it to me led me to believe I would.

Duress

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie.

I'm actually like this more than his Blade Itself Trilogy.

It's more grounded, less fantasy, and violent!

Jintor

I finished The Impossible State, a book about N.Korea. A very good analytical take on the N.K regime, but despite its opening, don't get it if you're looking for personal anecdotes or significant insights into negotiations with the DPRK; it's mostly policy and evidence based. That said, well argued, insightful, a full breadth of analysis since WWII onwards, and an easy writing style that helps when considering the sheer brutality and misery of the NK Regime.

mdubs

Banned
And mdubs, nice to hear you enjoyed Solanin so much. I've owned it for months now but I haven't read it just yet. I have read Nijighara Holograph, which was .... interesting but I've only read it once so I feel like there's more there that I didn't get. And yes, it is gorgeous.

By the way, this is ordinarily the point in the conversation when Necrovex runs by to inform us that we desperately need to read Oyasumi Punpun, but if he's been reading A Little Life like he should, perhaps he won't see this through his tears.

There are some really interesting analyses of Nijigahara out there that really helped me get a handle on the symbolism and the timelines when I was going through it a second time, it made for a completely different experience. The first time through I was more just trying to keep up with what was happening but on subsequent read-throughs it became more and more clear what was going on. I'd say Solanin is a much more focused and mature work from him though.

I'm quite excited that A Girl On the Shore is being released officially in English next year, it's another very good and thoughtful work by Asano. I'd put it below Solanin and Nijigahara but it is still excellent in a really unsettling way. And Oyasumi Punpun is most certainly on my to-read list in the future, but I'm crossing my fingers hard that one of the publishers will decide to license it so I can have it in physical form.

Does anyone here have any impressions on Shigeru Mizuki's Showa: A History of Japan series? I ordered the first volume because of the overwhelmingly positive impressions I saw in formal reviews, but I'd love to hear if there are any gaffers who really enjoyed it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A Girl By The Sea went totally off the rails.

A shame, really. It started out so promising too.

Mumei

There are some really interesting analyses of Nijigahara out there that really helped me get a handle on the symbolism and the timelines when I was going through it a second time, it made for a completely different experience. The first time through I was more just trying to keep up with what was happening but on subsequent read-throughs it became more and more clear what was going on. I'd say Solanin is a much more focused and mature work from him though.

I'm quite excited that A Girl On the Shore is being released officially in English next year, it's another very good and thoughtful work by Asano. I'd put it below Solanin and Nijigahara but it is still excellent in a really unsettling way. And Oyasumi Punpun is most certainly on my to-read list in the future, but I'm crossing my fingers hard that one of the publishers will decide to license it so I can have it in physical form.

Does anyone here have any impressions on Shigeru Mizuki's Showa: A History of Japan series? I ordered the first volume because of the overwhelmingly positive impressions I saw in formal reviews, but I'd love to hear if there are any gaffers who really enjoyed it.

Can you post (or PM) some of those analyses? I'd be interested in reading them when I reread it.

And yeah, I've kept an eye out to see whether Oyasumi Punpun gets licensed. I'm not sure who would end up publishing it, if it were. It looks like Viz might, but my dream scenario is for Fantagraphics to do it, in editions like the one they did for Nijigahara Holograph. I think one of those two would seem most likely, anyway.

Finally got around to finishing The City and the City by China Mieville. It was great, much more satisfying than other books I've read recently.

*cough*southern reach trilogy*cough*

Anybody read Embassytown? I love aliens.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I just finished Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds (after having read House of Suns and Revelation Space) and am moving onto Redemption Ark, which continues the story in Revelation Space. Good, dark, "gothic" sci-fi...right up my alley.

I also just started On Writing by Stephen King, and it's very entertaining so far. At its best, King's writing is absolutely delightful, so I look forward to learning more about his process.

Don't bother with Revelation Space. The final book is horrifically bad.

Haly

Embassytown is really good.

The Scar, also by Mieville, is the best of the Bas-Lag novels.

cheezcake

A little off topic but do you guys prefer ebooks or physical copies?

I started buying ebooks a couple years ago because it's so convenient and cheap but I moved back to physical copies a few months later, there's just something satisfying about owning the physical book.

Mumei

I started buying ebooks a couple years ago because it's so convenient and cheap but I moved back to physical copies a few months later, there's just something satisfying about owning the physical book.

This is completely on topic! And physical books. If it's a book that I'm unsure whether I would want to own it, well, that's what the library is for.

Necrovex

Obligatary read Oyasumi Punpun post. It's Asano's best work by a landslide. It's the manga equivalent of A Little Life (ok, maybe A Little Life is a bit more depressing and has a higher chance to break a person). I took a break from A Little Life to read Americanah; my heart needed a breather by the halfway point.

And talking about Pluto, I am close to completing Urasawa's other famous work, 20th Century Boys. I started to listen to the T. Rex due to that manga. Guta Lala Suda Lala.

Mumei

Obligatary read Oyasumi Punpun post. It's Asano's best work by a landslide. It's the manga equivalent of A Little Life (ok, maybe A Little Life is a bit more depressing and has a higher chance to break a person). I took a break from A Little Life to read Americanah; my heart needed a breather by the halfway point.

And talking about Pluto, I am close to completing Urasawa's other famous work, 20th Century Boys. I started to listen to the T. Rex due to that manga. Guta Lala Suda Lala.

I've really only listened to the title song. I love the intro. One should at the very least read the introduction of the manga while listening to that song.

ryseing

Just finished Revival.

Damn.

Lovecraftian horror at its finest.

Also, I finished The Last American Vampire last week. Highly enjoyable pulp fiction. I did dislike that Henry was weaved into EVERY major American event, but it was still entertaining.

Matty77

Just finished Revival.

Damn.

Lovecraftian horror at its finest.
glad to know I am not the only one to feel that way. Plus it was like King married his experience to his early style of writing, no bloat, no side story's, just a couple hundred lean mean pages of horror with no deeper meaning or subtext beyond trying to scare you.

ryseing

glad to know I am not the only one to feel that way. Plus it was like King married his experience to his early style of writing, no bloat, no side story's, just a couple hundred lean mean pages of horror with no deeper meaning or subtext beyond trying to scare you.

It's funny. There is so much seemingly meaningless side stuff (like the story about his grand niece), but every single bit of it ties into the plot in a meaningful way.

And it scared the shit out of me. Going to have nightmares about
those fucking ants and Mother.

Nooooo! I've been reading The Culture series by Iain M. Banks. But for some reason, out of nowhere, the fifth book, Excession, isn't available on any ebook format in the US. Not on Kindle or anywhere else. Every other book in the series is on Kindle, and Excession is available for Kindle in the UK, but not the US. One book out of ten, not on Kindle in the US. It makes no sense.

Nooooo! I've been reading The Culture series by Iain M. Banks. But for some reason, out of nowhere, the fifth book, Excession, isn't available on any ebook format in the US. Not on Kindle or anywhere else. Every other book in the series is on Kindle, and Excession is available for Kindle in the UK, but not the US. One book out of ten, not on Kindle in the US. It makes no sense.

Not here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TZ3DEO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That link tells me "not available for purchase". It's probably available on Kindle in most countries, but just not in the US for some reason. Maybe some sort of weird rights issue, I don't know. It's pretty frustrating though.

That's strange as it gives me a dollar price but links me back to co.uk

excession_zpsc15a5iqr.jpg

(I still have a .com account from before they had a co.uk)

sahest

Banned
Just finished Jo Nesbø's Blood on Snow, moving onto the next chapter in the Wheel of Time, Winter's Heart. Audible is awesome!

Nymerio

I used to prefer physical books and totally couldn't imagine switching to ebooks. But then I got a kindle and now I pretty much only read ebooks. I still love physical books but I wouldn't have the space to store them and the backlight on the kindle is all kinds of amazing. The only physical copies I buy nowadays are books that are heavy on images or have some kind of different format.

NEO0MJ

Also Mumei I took your recommendation and ordered the entire series of Urasawa's Pluto, should be arriving later this week!

I just got the first four volumes myself. Though I want to at least finish what I'm reading right now before starting at them lest I lose my focus.

17105137517_66ca7138a0_c.jpg

mdubs

Banned
Can you post (or PM) some of those analyses? I'd be interested in reading them when I reread it.

And yeah, I've kept an eye out to see whether Oyasumi Punpun gets licensed. I'm not sure who would end up publishing it, if it were. It looks like Viz might, but my dream scenario is for Fantagraphics to do it, in editions like the one they did for Nijigahara Holograph. I think one of those two would seem most likely, anyway.

Will do, one of the websites that has the chronological time line I used is down atm so will send that along when it starts working. I enjoyed this website's analysis of Maki and Arie https://mercurialblonde.wordpress.c...-of-smaller-hells-arakawa-maki-vs-ari-kimura/ which is the third part in a series of articles the website did on Nijigahara.

Hopefully Viz will take a look, since Oyasumi Punpun ran in a Shogakukan magazine, they have first right of refusal to it. I believe Fantagraphics is next in line, because I know Vertical mentioned they would love to do it but would need both of these publishers to pass in order to try and get the license. As much as I agree I'd love another Fantagraphics release like Nijigahara, I'd be ok with Viz considering they make their Sig releases a little fancier.

I just got the first four volumes myself. Though I want to at least finish what I'm reading right now before starting at them lest I lose my focus.

17105137517_66ca7138a0_c.jpg

Nice! They look so good in physical form

Necrovex

Completed Americanah and 20th Century Boys. Loved both of them but the latter kind of just ended, which I assume the two volumes of 21st Century Boys hold the actual conclusion to the overall series. Pity I don't have access to that series. :-(

Suppose it's time for me to return to both Pluto and A Little Life!

Duji

I finished The Civil War as a Theological Crisis by Mark A. Noll, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. I'm working on finishing my reread of Frank Herbert's Dune, which I stalled on at the end of Book I a few month or two ago.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was wonderful. It was almost too... uplifting for my current mood, but I loved the detail and the characters were memorable.

I absolutely loved Book I, felt Book II dragged on a little too long, and ultimately felt Book III was rushed. :(

Still a good novel though.

Ebook when it's over 500 pages. Though ebook is convenient to read in bed.

I usually get physical, like holding it and natural light > kindle light.

For me it goes:

kindle ebook > trade paperback > hard cover > paperback

I do most of my reading on a bus to and from work so the portability and back light of the Kindle is a God send.

NEO0MJ

Didn't notice this while skimming. Physical, all the way. Can't beat holding what you're reading in hand, plus I feel it's easier on my eyes and easier to read. Sure they take a lot of space but I love having a bookshelf, makes my room feel classier :)

Matty77

I have nothing against e-books, in fact because of space issues when I start rebuilding my library that is mostly what I will be buying.

However it does not change the fact there is nothing quite as nice as cracking a book, I even love the smell of a book.

Haly

When I'm old and have a house, I'm going to go avant garde with the decor and fill my bookshelves with Kindles. One Kindle per bookshelf. I should have enough Kindles by then.

kswiston

Yup.

<snip>

Thanks for the recommendations. I purchased In the Name of the Rose. Looks like Shogun is over 1000 pages, so I put it on the wishlist. I'll pick it up when I have more free time in the summer. Right now it would take me 5-6 weeks to get through, and I am in the mood for something a shorter.

Ever read Bernard Cornwell or Patrick O'Brian? Could introduce yourself to them :)

I read Master and Commander earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. I feel like I need to go buy an illustrated encyclopedia of sailing ships to better understand half of the stuff O'Brien describes though. I will probably get around to Post Captain later in the year.

I have never read anything by Cornwell, so maybe I will check him out as well!

I completed Snow Crash yesterday. Things came together pretty conveniently by the end of the novel, but it was a good read.

hythloday

Ebooks, but I do miss having paperbacks around. When I was a kid I remember going to the book store every few months with my parents and we'd come out every time with a huge basket full, with a bunch for each of us.

I like the convenience of a Kindle and I've also developed a bit of a minimalist streak when it comes to possessions and clutter. I want to own books, but I just don't have the desire to store all of them. I do buy physical copies of books from authors I really love, and things like cookbooks where it's impractical to have a Kindle in the kitchen. There's also stuff like 'The World of Ice and Fire' where the illustrations deserve to be seen from the actual book.

I read both physical and ebook pretty equally, but I;d have to give ebooks the edge.
I adore my Kindle and find it much easier to read at odd angle in low light (which is how I often find myself reading) with one than it is with a physical book.

LProtag

Also, speaking about Inio Asano:

I really like What a Wonderful World! by him. It's probably his most upbeat ending to a manga. The structure was interesting as well, considering it was a group of vignettes that tied loosely together. Kind of like a short story collection with overarching themes and small connections between the characters. I really enjoyed that.

Also, Punpun went places I didn't expect it to. I mean, holy shit.

Necrovex

Also, speaking about Inio Asano:

I really like What a Wonderful World! by him. It's probably his most upbeat ending to a manga. The structure was interesting as well, considering it was a group of vignettes that tied loosely together. Kind of like a short story collection with overarching themes and small connections between the characters. I really enjoyed that.

Also, Punpun went places I didn't expect it to. I mean, holy shit.

PunPun's final act was the epitome of happiness, bunnies, rainbows, and unicorns.

On the ebook vs paperback discussion, I am ebooks all the way. I would be unable to read anything over in South Africa if I didn't have a kindle on hand. My quality of life would've plummeted without my trust e-reading device.

Allllmost finished with Bone Clocks, then I can finally start Mistborn. So very much looking forward to that.

Still so many series I want to read, Wheel of Time, Malazan, The Black Company, Dark Tower, Book of the New Sun, Farseer Trilogy, Hyperion, Kingkiller Chronicles etc. Have to keep up with AsoIaF, Ravens Shadow and Stormlight Archive as well of course. Guess I should be happy there's still years worth of books I want to read :p

I was browsing for even more books I want to read, and came across this:

That is one (except for the blurb at the top) badass cover. Knights and dinosaurs? Interest peeked. Hope the book lives up to the art.

Summary of the book:

A world made by the Eight Creators on which to play out their games of passion and power, Paradise is a sprawling, diverse, often brutal place. Men and women live on Paradise as do dogs, cats, ferrets, goats, and horses. But dinosaurs predominate: wildlife, monsters, beasts of burden – and of war. Colossal planteaters like Brachiosaurus; terrifying meateaters like Allosaurus and the most feared of all, Tyrannosaurus rex. Giant lizards swim warm seas. Birds (some with teeth) share the sky with flying reptiles that range in size from batsized insectivores to majestic and deadly Dragons.

Thus we are plunged into Victor Milán's splendidly weird world of The Dinosaur Lords, a place that for all purposes mirrors 14th century Europe with its dynastic rivalries, religious wars, and byzantine politics…and the weapons of choice are dinosaurs. Where we have vast armies of dinosaur-mounted knights engaged in battle. And during the course of one of these epic battles, the enigmatic mercenary Dinosaur Lord Karyl Bogomirsky is defeated through betrayal and left for dead. He wakes, naked, wounded, partially amnesiac – and hunted. And embarks upon a journey that will shake his world.

Comes out in July. Only see a €22 costing hardcover edition, will wait for reviews. Armies of dinosaur-mounted knights though!

Some more art:

This art. My dinosaur loving heart is beating pretty fast.

Bazza

5096.jpg

400882.jpg

2464757.jpg

7942940.jpg

16115678.jpg

Sadly I have finally finished the Garret P.I. books what a journey, As for Wicked Bronze Ambition
Chapter 13 when Relway says "......Furious Tide of Light has been killed" I actually had that cold chill that runs from your head to your toes when you receive really bad news in real life, I was in shock for Garret. Such a sad book, If it had ended 4 or 5 sentences earlier I'm not sure how I would have felt, as it is I think it was a perfect end to the series if there are no other Garret books in the future, and if there are I will certainly not complain.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm pretty impartial to eBook/physical book these days. I'll read whatever's easiest/cheapest to get my hands on. Because I get so many books from publishers for review, I've become reliant on eBooks to ensure that my book collection doesn't get so massive that my family becomes buried under paper and bad cover art.

I was looking at your amazon page and noticed your tweet about the possible film/tv rights. Very cool.

I also bought the book while I was there. I had meant to do it awhile ago but needed to wait for a new card from my bank before I could.

Thanks! Can't wait to hear what you think.

And, yeah, the film/tv stuff has been a surprise. Who knows where it'll go, but it's fun nonetheless. :)

Finished Omega Rising and I'm about to start with Tide of Shadows.

Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for the support.

Allllmost finished with Bone Clocks, then I can finally start Mistborn. So very much looking forward to that.

Still so many series I want to read, Wheel of Time, Malazan, The Black Company, Dark Tower, Book of the New Sun, Farseer Trilogy, Hyperion, Kingkiller Chronicles etc. Have to keep up with AsoIaF, Ravens Shadow and Stormlight Archive as well of course. Guess I should be happy there's still years worth of books I want to read :p

I was browsing for even more books I want to read, and came across this:

That is one (except for the blurb at the top) badass cover. Knights and dinosaurs? Interest peeked. Hope the book lives up to the art.

Summary of the book:

Comes out in July. Only see a €22 costing hardcover edition, will wait for reviews. Armies of dinosaur-mounted knights though!

Some more art:

This art. My dinosaur loving heart is beating pretty fast.

I've been in a pretty deep reading slump for the last month or so. There are plenty of good books out there for me to read, and I just haven't felt like putting in the effort. Then you post what seems to be a by the numbers fantasy book, but with dinosaurs, and suddenly I perk up. Too bad it's coming out in July. I'll have to find something else to help dig me out of this slump.

I guess since I'm at the top of the page I should mention what I've been attempting to read. I started 'The Dreaming Void' a few weeks ago. It's taking me a little time to get into, as I have been only reading about 20 minutes a day, and I'm not the fastest reader. I'm enjoying the returning characters. I'm not sure that I would have been open to so many returning characters if the reason behind it wasn't so tied in to the way the author created the world. So far, I don't really have a good grasp of what's going on, but I hope once I get a little further in the story picks up. If I can get into the story like I did with the previous series maybe it will help get me out of my slump.

Nymerio

Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for the support.

I did! Can't decide whether I like "The Girl with Wings of Iron and Down" or "Of Parnassus and Princes, Damsels and Dragons" was my favourite story. The other stories were great as well but these two stood out to me. The notes on the stories were also a nice touch, I found it interesting to see how the stories came to be and what they were inspired by.

Edit:

Starting Omega Force: Soldiers of Fortune

18160491.jpg

fakefaker

Finished up The Winter Family by Clifford Jackman last night and I was really happy with it. It's got a quick pace, a very noir feel, and some of the craziest badass characters/villains/anti-heroes I've seen in a long time. Oh and tonnes of violence; so if your shy about this I stay away.

Next up it's The Sasquatch Hunter's Almanac by Sharma Shields.

22320471.jpg

RDreamer

Just finished this today:

And now onto:

Been really sprinting through The Witcher novels. Not many books have hooked me like these have, and that's not just because I was way into the games or something. I do really like Witcher 2, but it's really the books that have made me love the world and everything about it. I honestly recommend it to anyone that likes stuff like A Song of Fire and Ice or Lord of the Rings.

It's kind of a bummer I have to read the last two as fan translations, but oh well. I read Sword of Destiny that way, and it was pretty good. Just glad I can read it at all I suppose.

Top Bottom