• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
KyGxq.png

If you're at all interested in the subjects listed above and have been looking for a place to jump in, this is your book. Bryson seems to have a knack for explaining complex things like outer space to a layman like me in the most simple way possible. Thanks to those who mentioned it here a few months back. Great read so far.

I credit Bryson with jump-starting my almost ravenous love of science. The illusrated version is fantastic too.

I finished up The Passage and loved it.

I'm currently reading:
51bE6SBNroL.jpg

And YIKES, it's absolutely terrible. Easily one of the worst books I've read all year. I'm kind of taken aback at how miserable everything about it is. Mercifully it's short, and I'll be done with it very soon.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Finished The Alchemist yesterday and just started this, about 40 pages in:

zwGsP.jpg

I have not yet read much Vonnegut for whatever reason, only A Man Without A Country, and Slapstick which was a real mindfucker.

Finished:

Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West by Blaine Harden

Ech, it was only okay. Shin's story was compelling and terrible at the same time but I don't think Harden was the right person to tell it. His writing just didn't seem that good for a journalist's.

For those who are waffling about reading Escape from Camp 14, I think this is a much better book along the same lines:

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick

Makes me wish Demick had written Shin's memoir instead.

Tesseract

Banned
phineas poe (kiss me, judas). friend recommended.

it's garbage, i want to rip out its pages and eat them with tomato sauce. 1/5 kidneys.

Movement

About to finish
YkdhS.jpg

Surprisingly good and thoughtful book. My first Simak read and I'm impressed. I'm thinking of starting Xanth series (Piers Anthony) next.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm wondering, does anyone know if there are any good mystery novels in the vein of something like The Cube? A book that deals with themes like isolation/survival/exploring the unknown?

I'm wondering, does anyone know if there are any good mystery novels in the vein of something like The Cube? A book that deals with themes like isolation/survival/exploring the unknown?

Do you mean The Cube the movie? If so the only thing I've read that comes to mind is House of Leaves, which comes up on GAF often.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

It's kind of a literary horror book about solving an unknown, a house where the dimensions inside don't match up with the dimensions outside, unreliable narrators, etc. if that's what you're looking for.

The only caveat is that the layout and format of the book is a little weird and gimmicky at times.

Fusebox

Banned
Snow Crash - halfway through and loving it. The blurb turned me off it for so long but I'm glad I finally gave it a shot, it's great fun.

I asked for a similar recommendation for a few months ago and a few people mentioned this book and it turned out they were right. It was great and scratched my itch ...

Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds

And this book meets all three of your criteria AND its one of the first post-apocalypse novels:

The Purple Cloud by M.P. Shiel

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Amazon has GAF favorite, The Long Ships, as a Kindle Daily Deal today for $1.99.

I'm in for $1.99.

Read a review of this in the WSJ yesterday:

American Science Fiction: Nine Classic Novels of the 1950's

Following its acclaimed three-volume edition of the novels of science fiction master Philip K. Dick, The Library of America now presents a two-volume anthology of nine groundbreaking works from the golden age of the modern science fiction novel. Long unnoticed or dismissed by the literary establishment, these “outsider” novels have gradually been recognized as American classics. Here are genre-defining works by such masters as Robert Heinlein, Richard Matheson, James Blish, and Alfred Bester. The themes range from time travel (Fritz Leiber’s The Big Time) to post-apocalyptic survival (Leigh Brackett’s The Long Tomorrow), from the prospect of a future dominated by multinational advertising agencies (Pohl and Kornbluth’s The Space Merchants) to the very nature of human identity in a technological age (Theodore Sturgeon’s More Than Human and Algis Budrys’s Who?). The range of styles is equally diverse, by turns satiric, adventurous, incisive, and hauntingly lyrical. Grappling in fresh ways with a world in rapid transformation, these visionary novels opened new imaginative territory in American writing.

Mastadon

Banned
Currently reading

3P4Wf.jpg

It's one of my favourite plays, and I've seen it performed a few times but haven't actually read through it until now.

Read a book called Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft over the past couple days. Fun little ya novel, but man, really should have been called Mary Sue's Guide to Witchcraft.

OP, could you add the following links to the opening post?

Non-western literature
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Non-western literature is barely talked about so it should be interesting for some.

Absolutely. Thanks for providing the links.

e: for now, I ordered Pushing Ice

Excellent. If our tastes are at all similar you won't be disappointed.

This fits the bill pretty well.

Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear

This sounds good and you haven't steered me wrong so far with the First Law recommendation ... ordered!

Nezumi

Oh man. I started listening to the audiobook of The Blade Itself some weeks back but dropped it because it didn't really grip me. I found the characters to be somewhat interesting, but after 5 hours still nothing had happened.

Reading through this thread I decided to give it another go and dammit not only did things finally start to happen but doing NaNOWriMo at the moment actually changed the way I perceived the style and the writing in general. This man is brilliant when it comes to writing characters. I loved everything I heard...

Sadly it also led to me doing next to no writing on my NaNo-stuff because somehow everything I had written so far seemed like total shit to me (Well it probably really is but since quality is not the point of NaNo...). So I had to drop the book again in order to be able to keep writing.

I now listen to the Harry Potter books instead, which I totally love, but luckily don't effect me in writing myself.

It's pretty good, wouldn't call it amazing or anything. Amped: A Novel (his follow up, not in the same universe) is what I am reading now. It's okay-ish also.

I don't know... something about the way it is written and the short scenarios just keep me involved and invested the whole time. For the past few months, I've been struggling to find a book that just grabs me and this one is fitting the bill. I'm only about half way through so maybe that takes a dive at some point. We'll see.

Finished these over the weekend:

10644930.jpg

Real real good. Stayed up until 3am on Saturday morning finishing it off.

7364832.jpg

Good ridiculous stuff, I lost it when Reacher
survived being shot due to the bullet being unable to penetrate his pecs

Started this last night:

13083063.jpg

I'm reading Dark Tower for the first time and I've heard this is one of the best (if not the best) so I'm looking forward to it. 50 pages in and
fuck Blaine the Mono

Went on a massive book buying spree last week. Walked out of the bookstore with around 6-7 books.

The first one I started was Good Omens.
8V6SE.jpg

I'm a little more than 75% through. It's okay. It has its moments but I'm not finding the humor quite to my liking. I've smiled here and there, and the "humor" seems to be the main draw, so I'm kinda slogging through this second half. Wasn't a huge fan of Hitchhiker's either, and this kind of reminds me of it. Bit too quirky/weird for my tastes.

Anyway, not sure what to start next. Thinking of starting The Black Company.

Jintor

I'm a little more than 75% through. It's okay. It has its moments but I'm not finding the humor quite to my liking. I've smiled here and there, and the "humor" seems to be the main draw, so I'm kinda slogging through this second half. Wasn't a huge fan of Hitchhiker's either, and this kind of reminds me of it. Bit too quirky/weird for my tastes.

How can this be?!? *explodes*

FiRez

le-petit-nicolas-jean-jacques-sempe-paperback-cover-art.jpg

It's pretty satisfying to read something in french while not requiring to consult the dictionary each page.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished Vonnegut's Mother Night. Great book. Think I'll probably start this tonight, bought it yesterday...

8HoHW.jpg

Started Cloud Atlas earlier this week. Not very far into it as I haven't had much reading time, but the small amount I've read so far have been enjoyable. Loved the movie, but the book has that depth you simply can't bring to the screen no matter how hard you try.

Mascot

Just finished

497718-saints-of-new-york.jpg

Very good, but didn't reach the same heights as A Quiet Belief In Angels (but then again, not much does).

Just started

echo-of-the-reich.jpg

The premise interested me (top secret Nazi super-weapon from WW2 potentially being unleashed on modern society), but it was only 10p from a local charity shop so it would have been rude not to.

Mumei

I'm about 400 pages into The Long Ships, which I have interrupted to watch most of the first season of Top Gear on Kabouter's recommendation and to read a bit of Toshiro Kageyama (7p)'s Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go, which is more than a bit beyond where I am as a player but I am still finding useful / educational in terms of broad principles.

6900710.jpg
1241950.jpg

Oh, and I am about halfway through The Son of Neptune.

KidDork

infinitejest.jpg

Finished this yesterday.

Still processing it. I am going to miss it. It's been four months of just me and this book. I'm going to miss the stupid footnotes, the characters, and the resolve to not put it down and move onto something else. Is it great? Yes. Is it frustrating? At times. Is it funny? Yes, and also goddamn horrific at times also.

Like, I said, still processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom