• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Revival sounds like it is pretty awesome. I've said I need to read more Stephen King, and makes sense to maybe read that next since it comes out tomorrow.

Celegus

Finished up The Martian, really enjoyed it. I was a little hesitant about it being too monotonous, but having perspectives from him on Mars and people on Earth helped a ton. I thought the ending was
pretty cheesy and was hoping they'd narrowly miss the fly-by and have it end with him just staring in disbelief that he came so close. But I'm a sucker for unhappy endings.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Sixty percent through 'The Stand', really great so far my favorite apocalyptic book ever currently. Still have hours of reading to go.

Necrovex

Watched Bill Maher the other day, and I was interested by his interview of Linda Tirado. She recently wrote Hand to Mouth: Living in Bootstrap America. Has anyone read it and would give their thoughts on it?

Nezumi

Finished:

Saga_vol3-1.png

This might just replace Bone as my favorite comic book series ever. I just love it. All the characters are so fleshed out and feel just real and not only like tropes on two legs. Can't wait for Vol. 4 to be released.

518v%2BJtwBaL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

The 3rd Witcher novel. I liked this more than the previous two but I'm still not absolutely in love but they are entertaining enough so I'll guess I'll stick with the series for now.

Very fun and easy to read book.

Currently reading:

477949-gf.jpg

Just finished the first volume and can't wait to read the next. I already loved Sfar from his collaborations with Trondheim but I think that his own stuff is even better. I actually decided to learn french so that I don't have to depend on my husband to read french comic books anymore. Even though cuddling up and reading something together has its charm ;)

9782756050423_cg.jpg

Did I mention how much I love Sfar?

8144399.jpg

Just started this but already falling in love (I seem to do a lot of this...) with Valente's prose all over again. Her Fairyland books are a hot contender for my favorite book this year and even though I'm still at the beginning of this one I can feel that I'll like this one very much. Thanks Mumei for the suggestion.

The_Thousand_Autumns_of_Jacob_de_Zoet_(cover).jpg

A very interesting read that is also very entertaining.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Re-read of The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle because <3

It sighed through him, beginning somewhere secret—in his shoulderblade, perhaps, or in the marrow of his shinbone. His heart filled and tautened like a sail, and something moved more surely in his body than he ever had.

Mumei

Just started this but already falling in love (I seem to do a lot of this...) with Valente's prose all over again. Her Fairyland books are a hot contender for my favorite book this year and even though I'm still at the beginning of this one I can feel that I'll like this one very much. Thanks Mumei for the suggestion.

<333

I have trouble deciding between the Fairyland books and this, but I think I lean towards Habitation of the Blessed these days.

Re-read of The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle because <3

Have you read the comic adaptation?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Have you read the comic adaptation?

Yeah, I bought the hardcover edition. I'd say it's a good, but not great adaptation. Molly's meeting with the unicorn has absolutely no weight in this version and that's a terrible shame. The rest of my complaints would mostly be nitpicks. (Schmendrick and Molly are too attractive and Molly is too young. Plus some minor re-wording of quotes from the book that make no sense to me.)

Mumei

Yeah, I bought the hardcover edition. I'd say it's a good, but not great adaptation. Molly's meeting with the unicorn has absolutely no weight in this version and that's a terrible shame. The rest of my complaints would mostly be nitpicks. (Schmendrick and Molly are too attractive and Molly is too young. Plus some minor re-wording of quotes from the book that make no sense to me.)

By the hardcover edition, do you mean the oversized edition?

And yeah, I agree. I just loaned my copy to a co-worker and that was one of the things I was saying I didn't like about it - Molly's meeting with the unicorn carried little emotional freight, and Molly looks like she could be in her early thirties.

It is beautiful, though.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
By the hardcover edition, do you mean the oversized edition?

And yeah, I agree. I just loaned my copy to a co-worker and that was one of the things I was saying I didn't like about it - Molly's meeting with the unicorn carried little emotional freight, and Molly looks like she could be in her early thirties.

It is beautiful, though.

I'm not terribly sure of the different editions. This one: long URL

And yes, the art is lovely. I very nearly adore De Liz's version of the Red Bull. (The horns!)

Mr.Swag

Banned
Is Palahniuks "Rant" better than "Choke"?
Ive only read Choke and I give it a solid 6/10, i was kind of dissapointed i though with all the Fight Club hype hed be a magnificent story teller. Anyways, im giving him a second chance so please tell me rant is good, because i already bought it.

Bazza

Robin_Hobb_-_Fool%27s_Errand_Cover.jpg

Finished this last night.

I cant believe Nighteyes is dead, I think one of my favorite things about the Farseer trilogy was the relationship between Fitz and Nighteyes now that is no more :(

I thought the Fools Errand felt a bit like a stand alone book, unlike the 1st books of the other trilogy's that seemed to be an intro into a larger story arc, still enjoyed it though.

Interested to see who the 'bad guy' is going to be in this trilogy, I'm guessing factions of the witted folk but unlike the red ships in the last books they don't really feel as threatening.

I think the things I'm most looking forward to is finding out what/who it was that spoke to Fitz when he was skilling and the significance of the Fools crown.

Meteorain

I'm really glad I picked up The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm really enjoying the stylistic choice of narration that Dumas has taken, even if it somewhat convoluted at times.

I am however shocked to see that I am only 28% through the book even though it feels like he has told an entire modern book's worth of content. For some reason at the moment I am being presented with an entirely too in depth a backstory of a random bandit in Italy. Let us hope this character is actually part of the book!

Ashes

Banned
:O

How old are you?

Why do you suppose I used to be Ashes1396?

It's better than admitting to reading Dan Brown's Inferno.
yes it was a mistake. I of course meant Dan Brown's Inferno. I'm only perusing the hell part of Dante's Devine Comedy, via wiki mostly, purely because I don't really trust Dan Brown to be honest.

Mumei

Why do you suppose I used to be Ashes1396?

It's better than admitting to reading Dan Brown's Inferno.
yes it was a mistake. I of course meant Dan Brown's Inferno. I'm only perusing the hell part of Dante's Devine Comedy, via wiki mostly, purely because I don't really trust Dan Brown to be honest.

via wiki mostly?!

Read the actual poem!

I'm really glad I picked up The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm really enjoying the stylistic choice of narration that Dumas has taken, even if it somewhat convoluted at times.

I am however shocked to see that I am only 28% through the book even though it feels like he has told an entire modern book's worth of content. For some reason at the moment I am being presented with an entirely too in depth a backstory of a random bandit in Italy. Let us hope this character is actually part of the book!

I love how story-rich Monte Cristo is.

Ive only read Choke and I give it a solid 6/10, i was kind of dissapointed i though with all the Fight Club hype hed be a magnificent story teller. Anyways, im giving him a second chance so please tell me rant is good, because i already bought it.

I mean, it's typical Palahniuk. I'd say stay away from it if only for the fact that it's part of a trilogy (so he says) and we haven't seen hide nor hair of the second book yet and it's been seven years.

besada

Banned
The Mongoliad Cycle books are on sale through Kindle, thoughts?

If you like historically grounded, medieval sword combat, then they are for you. I've read the first two and intend to read the rest at some point.

I'm currently reading Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley. I've seen good reviews for it, and I admit the idea itself, the central conceit, is interesting, but the writing...

I'm fine with workmanlike prose. I grew up reading 1950's science fiction, so I'm not one of those guys that has to have brilliant prose to enjoy a story, but this isn't really even workmanlike. It fails in a bunch of ways, ranging from a lack of description to conversations that go nowhere and tell the reader nothing.

I suspect I won't be reading any follow ups, unless the end of the story is just astonishing.

Piecake

If you like historically grounded, medieval sword combat, then they are for you. I've read the first two and intend to read the rest at some point.

I'm currently reading Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley. I've seen good reviews for it, and I admit the idea itself, the central conceit, is interesting, but the writing...

I'm fine with workmanlike prose. I grew up reading 1950's science fiction, so I'm not one of those guys that has to have brilliant prose to enjoy a story, but this isn't really even workmanlike. It fails in a bunch of ways, ranging from a lack of description to conversations that go nowhere and tell the reader nothing.

I suspect I won't be reading any follow ups, unless the end of the story is just astonishing.

Yea, I gave up on it, and the writing was the major issue. I mean, it isnt god awful or anything, but it just fails to bring the characters to life. None of them feel real or dynamic, and, as a consequence, I stopped caring and lost interest fast.

Rant is a very different kind of book from Choke, and some elements of it work well . . . but think it collapses on itself pretty readily and some of Palahuiks way of defining character-voice is a bit . . . hamfisted.

It is a quick read though. You might enjoy it more than I did.

obin_gam

Just finished TARKIN,
the second one in the new canon Star Wars series. We get to follow Peter Cushings Wilhuf Tarkin from the times as an ordinary Moff put in charge of a secret space station build site outside Geonosis , via his dealings with Vader and Palpatine and all the way through to how he gets the title Grand Moff.

It's quite enjoyable, and gives some fun extra trivia on the inner workings of the Empire. Recomended for Star Wars and space battle fans.

Now I want a sequel. It ends with an awesome note which easily could be continued in a second book!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, you should only read Ender's Shadow and Speaker for the Dead.

Haly

I read Game after Shadow back in high school as well and it was like night and day .

Shadow was nuanced and compelling. Still has one of the best usages of scripture I've ever seen:
&#8220;O my son Absalom,&#8221; Bean said softly, knowing for the first time the kind of anguish that could tear such words from a man&#8217;s mouth. &#8220;my son, my son Absalom. Would God I could die for thee, O Absalom, my son. My sons!&#8221;

Game was a YA romp with some strange Mormon undertones.

Mumei

I read Game after Shadow and it was like night and day back in high school.

Shadow was nuanced and compelling.

Game was an YA romp with some strange Mormon undertones.

I didn't know Card was Mormon at the time and didn't pick up on the undertones. Can you spoiler text them for me?

And yes, Shadow was probably better, but I liked getting aspects of the same larger story from different perspectives.

Haly

I didn't know Card was Mormon at the time and didn't pick up on the undertones. Can you spoiler text them for me?

Neither did I, to be honest. I just felt a gap in quality. It wasn't until I did some googling on Ender's Game that I learned about the the Mormon parallels. Unfortunately, I can't really do better than pointing you to "articles" like this, or this.

For the most part, it has to do with Ender
being a Christ-like figure

ShaneB

As I figured, started to read Revival. Loving it so far just a little bit in.

Revival by Stephen King
20926278.jpg

Reading Revival now.

Not too far in, but this is the most non-Stephen King like opening couple of chapters ever, lol.

Care to explain what you mean by this? I'm just a bit into the first chapter, and already feel like I've been hooked. Just where I haven't read much by King, wondering what made you say that.

Haly

The later Ender novels go off the deep end I don't know what was going on there.

mu cephei

Just finished: Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand, by Samuel R. Delany.

1947893.jpg

It was pretty amazing, though I think it had some flaws and there were a few things I didn't like.
A couple of points of interest: it was written in 1984, and it has a Web, which is pretty much the internet (and/or the association that controls the flow of information) of the future. Also, much of the praise surrounding Ancillary Justice that I've heard seems to focus on it having everyone referred to as 'she', 'her' etc; in Stars in my Pocket, everyone is a woman (and referred to as such), be they male or female human, or male, female or neuter alien. So that was interesting.
Not a great deal happens, though. It's largely lots and lots of detail about different cultures, how life is in a future with thousands of worlds each with many different cultures on them. But I love that. It was also about other stuff a bit too complex for me to express, and plenty probably went over my head (apparently Delany was experimenting with form, but all I noticed was both main characters talked about literary form a lot). The way it was written could sometimes need reading a few times, but then some ideas need a circuitous route to get them across. But it's one of the few books I've read where everything actually feels real (that is, sufficiently different), and not just present day humans with tiny modifications chucked out into space.

Currently reading: The Odd Women, by George Gissing.

1418905.jpg

About the women who don't get married, in 1890's London. Good so far.

Robin_Hobb_-_Fool%27s_Errand_Cover.jpg

Finished this last night.

I cant believe Nighteyes is dead, I think one of my favorite things about the Farseer trilogy was the relationship between Fitz and Nighteyes now that is no more :(

I thought the Fools Errand felt a bit like a stand alone book, unlike the 1st books of the other trilogy's that seemed to be an intro into a larger story arc, still enjoyed it though.

Interested to see who the 'bad guy' is going to be in this trilogy, I'm guessing factions of the witted folk but unlike the red ships in the last books they don't really feel as threatening.

I think the things I'm most looking forward to is finding out what/who it was that spoke to Fitz when he was skilling and the significance of the Fools crown.

I'm getting quite a lot of vicarious pleasure from these posts :-D though thinking about your last line, I really must re-read the series...

Rant is good, one of his better ones. Palahniuk is very repetitive though. His style is well set at this point.

Skilletor

As I figured, started to read Revival. Loving it so far just a little bit in.

Revival by Stephen King
20926278.jpg

Care to explain what you mean by this? I'm just a bit into the first chapter, and already feel like I've been hooked. Just where I haven't read much by King, wondering what made you say that.

Oh, I didn't mean it as a bad thing. It's just very grounded, no hint at all of anything supernatural or extremely weird, or scary...dunno if there will be.

I was expecting something like Needful Things and this is nothing like it. Again, not a bad thing, just doesn't seem like anything else I've read by King.

Also, shoutouts to the rock group named The Gunslingers, haha.

what specifically?

I've never read it, but having read the wiki's and watched the movie, I think it's probably a better short story than a complete novel type story.

I'd say the opposite. The Ender's Game movie was barely coherent after they stripped everything out to the bare minimum. The story should take place over 8-10 years or else it doesn't make sense.

ShaneB

Oh, I didn't mean it as a bad thing. It's just very grounded, no hint at all of anything supernatural or extremely weird, or scary...dunno if there will be.

I was expecting something like Needful Things and this is nothing like it. Again, not a bad thing, just doesn't seem like anything else I've read by King.

Also, shoutouts to the rock group named The Gunslingers, haha.

Ah ok, yeah, so far it's very much a coming of age type of setup in the early chapters.

Mr.Mike

I liked all three, though I haven't read them since high school.

There is a fourth.

And it is terrible. I forced myself to read them though, because of how great the first two were. Maybe part of the reason that I have such a negative opinion of them now is because I forced myself to read them instead of reading them because I was enjoying the experience.

But the first two books were great. I read Ender's Game at around 12 and it became my younger self's favourite book, I thought Speaker was pretty great to. Thankfully young me didn't force myself to finish the third book.

I have found that I like Speaker more now that I'm older, having now read the entirety of the main series. Perhaps I should read the Shadow series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom