• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In [undeserved] fairness, he might have come to it expecting to be something other than what it was. I had to adjust my expectations after first coming to it having read comparisons to Harry Potter. And if you come to a book with the wrong expectations, sometimes the gap between what you were expecting and what you got can make it harder to appreciate a book for what it is, on its terms.

Yeah, that's a grade equivalent reading score:

And this is a more elaborate explanation of how this works. I first learned about this through talking with a neighbor about her kids' reading levels, and how she learned what that phrase "reading at X grade level" means.

He's also reading books like Harry Potter and Eragon in Spanish (he's in a immersion program) so it may be a combination of things.

survivor

Banned
BFf7MTl.png
TBpgpXY.jpg
mrXMfg7.jpg

Finished reading few stuff. Read the new Murakami since I saw it was a short read and I sure as hell wasn't ever gonna finish going through 1Q84 and I started that 2 years ago. This story was alright, I never could particularly relate to Tazaki's loneliness and how his friends absence hurt him, just felt too artificial and not really special. Still, at least this was a bit concise and didn't drag on even though it left few questions unanswerd.

I picked up The Tokyo Zodiac Murders after I saw the author being mentioned in the manga thread. It has sort of an interesting setup, few drawings explaining the murder and what surprised me the most is two instances of the author interrupting the narrative and challenging the reader if they figured out the case. The actual murder resolution wasn't that impressive.

Augustus was pretty fantastic. It's divided into 3 parts, the first one being letters and parts of memoirs talking about Octavius rise to power after Caesar's death and eventually ending with his victory of Antony. I really enjoyed this part a lot especially cause I took a roman civilization course once in university so it was fun seeing the events unfold and how they compared to how I learned them. Second part mostly revolved around Augustus' family trouble, generally involving his daughter Julia. I'd imagine this is where John Williams took a lot of liberty with historical accuracy, but it helped providing more depth to the characters and seeing Rome from a different side. Then there is the last part where Augustus finally takes over the story and talks about his past and accomplishments. Really loved reading this, hopefully should find time soon to read William's other novel Stoner.

Finished reading few stuff. Read the new Murakami since I saw it was a short read and I sure as hell wasn't ever gonna finish going through 1Q84 and I started that 2 years ago. This story was alright, I never could particularly relate to Tazaki's loneliness and how his friends absence hurt him, just felt too artificial and not really special. Still, at least this was a bit concise and didn't drag on even though it left few questions unopened.
Like what about that one male friend he had that weird dream about.

Piecake

BFf7MTl.png
TBpgpXY.jpg
mrXMfg7.jpg

Finished reading few stuff. Read the new Murakami since I saw it was a short read and I sure as hell wasn't ever gonna finish going through 1Q84 and I started that 2 years ago. This story was alright, I never could particularly relate to Tazaki's loneliness and how his friends absence hurt him, just felt too artificial and not really special. Still, at least this was a bit concise and didn't drag on even though it left few questions unopened.

I picked up The Tokyo Zodiac Murders after I saw the author being mentioned in the manga thread. It has sort of an interesting setup, few drawings explaining the murder and what surprised me the most is two instances of the author interrupting the narrative and challenging the reader if they figured out the case. The actual murder resolution wasn't that impressive.

Augustus was pretty fantastic. It's divided into 3 parts, the first one being letters and parts of memoirs talking about Octavius raise to power after Caesar's death and eventually ending with his victory of Antony. I really enjoyed this part a lot especially cause I took a roman civilization course once in university so it was fun seeing the events unfold and how they compared to how I learned them. Second part mostly revolved around Augustus' family trouble, generally involving his daughter Julia. I'd imagine this is where John Williams took a lot of liberty with historical accuracy, but it helped providing more depth to the characters and seeing Rome from a different side. Then there is the last part where Augustus finally takes over the story and talks about his past and accomplishments. Really loved reading this, hopefully should find time soon to read William's other novel Stoner.

Good to know about Augustus. That has been on my reading list since I read Stoner, which was absolutely fantastic.

I'm currently reading Good Omens for the first time, even though I've owned it for ages. I love reading books by both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Also rereading Rider at the Gate by C.J. Cherryh.

I'm currently reading Good Omens for the first time, even though I've owned it for ages. I love reading books by both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Good Omens is an absolute delight, and you are the only person I've ever known to have read/be reading Rider at the Gate. Something about that book really tickled my imagination. That world and the creatures in the wild... Such subtle horror. Loved it. :D

Good Omens is an absolute delight, and you are the only person I've ever known to have read/be reading Rider at the Gate. Something about that book really tickled my imagination. That world and the creatures in the wild... Such subtle horror. Loved it. :D
I've read a few things by Cherryh, but it's been a long time. I remember her writing being frantic, almost too wordy. It felt both as if it set the stage for a thrilling adventure and simultaneously dronef on and on in meaningless detail. I don't know if I read Rider at the Gate though. Can't remember which books left me with this impression.

I've read a few things by Cherryh, but it's been a long time. I remember her writing being frantic, almost too wordy. It felt both as if it set the stage for a thrilling adventure and simultaneously dronef on and on in meaningless detail. I don't know if I read Rider at the Gate though. Can't remember which books left me with this impression.

Mmmm... I can't say Rider at the Gate gave me that impression. Maybe you're thinking of some of her other sci-fi stuff? I suppose the switches between the riders and the nighthorses might come off a bit jerky, but I'm pretty sure that's intentional since the communication itself is kind of abrupt. I didn't find her too caught up in describing things, either, but I did read this one maybe... 15? years ago.

Necrovex

Finally watched Contact (with Jodie Foster), and I loved it to death. I know it's based on the book. So, Book-Gaf, how is the novel compared to the film?

Bazza

Robin_Hobb_-_The_Mad_Ship_Cover.jpg

Finished this last night, While I still prefer the Farseer triliogy so far I am enjoying how this story is unfolding. The way the second book left things I cant wait to get started on Ship of Destiny, I think one of the characters I am most interested in seeing what happens next with them is Malta
up until the later part of the 2nd book I have never wanted a child in a story killed off more than her, but the way her character is developing changed that view quite quickly
. Really looking forward to the eventual coming together of all the main characters.

skingame_lg.jpg

For the second time. Please write faster Butcher, and don't
end the next book like Cold Days. Because that was the most depressing thing ever.

Mmmm... I can't say Rider at the Gate gave me that impression. Maybe you're thinking of some of her other sci-fi stuff? I suppose the switches between the riders and the nighthorses might come off a bit jerky, but I'm pretty sure that's intentional since the communication itself is kind of abrupt. I didn't find her too caught up in describing things, either, but I did read this one maybe... 15? years ago.

Just took a look at her novels. I know I read Fortress in the Eye of Time and pretty sure I read a couple of the Foreigner books. I know I had Cyteen but now I can't honestly remember if I read it.

Like you, it's been a really long time since I read anything of hers, but that's partly because there was something about her style that just didn't work for me.

Of course I'm older and writing myself and my tastes have changed, etc. Looks like Rider doesn't have a Kindle version, so I'll see if I can grab a copy at a used book store.

ShaneB

Finally watched Contact (with Jodie Foster), and I loved it to death. I know it's based on the book. So, Book-Gaf, how is the novel compared to the film?

I've actually wondered this as well. Love the movie, so the book has always been on my list of stuff to read someday, wonder how different they are.

Finished up "The Fallow Season of Hugo Hunter" last night. I think I'm just slightly disappointed that it never felt as good as the Edward books from the same author, so that was constantly hanging over my while reading, but it was a page turner, and did reach that point where I had to keep going to see where it all went.

I might read 'The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep And Never Had To" next.

I've actually wondered this as well. Love the movie, so the book has always been on my list of stuff to read someday, wonder how different they are.

Finished up "The Fallow Season of Hugo Hunter" last night. I think I'm just slightly disappointed that it never felt as good as the Edward books from the same author, so that was constantly hanging over my while reading, but it was a page turner, and did reach that point where I had to keep going to see where it all went.

I might read 'The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep And Never Had To" next.

RE: Contact. I liked the movie but I thought the book was better.

For those who've read Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. Does it pick up? I'm at about page 186, and I'm kinda bored. I keep renewing it from the library, but have little desire to read it. I would like to finish what I started, though.

:p Well that's good to know, are they vastly different at all? I guess I just hold off on reading the book as a case of knowing what happens takes a bit of the thrill away.

Hmm... now you're asking for details. I want to say it wasn't vastly different. Sagan has an immense propensity for the scale of the universe that comes across in the book very well.

Someone with more recent knowledge or a better memory of the details might be able to correct me on the "vast difference" question.

Finally finished Southern Reach. Well, let me reword that: The book ended; I'm nowhere near finished with it. You could tell me that Stephen King helped ghost write the ending and I'd believe you. Hell, you could not tell me that and I'm still pretty sure he had some input.

I know the brunt of you have already finished it so can we discuss it again? Especially now that you've had time to chew it over.

Sure we found out a lot about the overall picture but I felt it could have used another chapter on each character. What happens to Control? is he turned into a rabbit? Do Grace and Ghost Bird make it over the border? Or even a border? Is the world destroyed?

I took away that the tower/anamoly is 'alive' because it's the lightkeeper's body.

EDIT: I've been reading reviews all over the place and I think this describes my feelings pretty well.
Had this book merely been the third installment of a four (or more) book series this would have been a solid four star book. But because this is (as far as I am aware) the end of the line, the lack of closure and resolution really rankled me. If you are going to make me care so much about the characters in the story, at least do my the courtesy of telling me what befalls them.
I sitll really enjoyed the hourney, I just wish there was a little more journey. I don't even need a tight little bow to wrap it up. It just feels like the story has a little more to be told.

After finishing Ben Lerner's Leaving the Atocha Station in early October, having trouble finding a book to read and actually finish. I am partially through The Brothers K, Readme, Burning Chrome, but I'm thinking of picking up a shorter book like Hesse's Demian so I can actually finish reading a book this month.

mu cephei

I prefer the film (I think the film is excellent). I did see it before reading the book, so possibly that had an effect, I don't know. The film is more streamlined and has a nice balance, and the ending fit perfectly. The book, on the other hand, was good, but I really disliked the ending.

Robin_Hobb_-_The_Mad_Ship_Cover.jpg

Finished this last night, While I still prefer the Farseer triliogy so far I am enjoying how this story is unfolding. The way the second book left things I cant wait to get started on Ship of Destiny, I think one of the characters I am most interested in seeing what happens next with them is Malta
up until the later part of the 2nd book I have never wanted a child in a story killed off more than her, but the way her character is developing changed that view quite quickly
. Really looking forward to the eventual coming together of all the main characters.

Ah, that cover :) it's the one I have. Gosh I couldn't stand Malta! I don't recall liking the last book quite as much as the other two, but still a great series.

Piecake

Finished This Republic of Suffering. It was decent. I think it was a bad choice to listen to as an audiobook because it was rather abstract. I am currently reading to this right now

This is really really good so far. What I find interesting is that the author, at least so far, makes Seward out to be a vain, narrow-minded idiot, and it is pretty convincing. I've always heard that Seward was among our best Secretary of States, along next to John Quincy Adams and the like, because he kept us out of any foreign intanglements during the Civil War. The problem is, is that the author makes a convincing case that he was basically the main reason why there was even a chance of hostilities between England and America. Ill have to read some more on Seward to see the other side.

I'm reading Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk for one of my essays. I kind of feel like all the twists and turns are less effective since I already say the movie before reading, but still a great book.

Is it even a spoiler to say that Tyler Durden is the Narrator? I feel it's like spoiling Darth Vader being Luke's father at this point.

For those who've read Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. Does it pick up? I'm at about page 186, and I'm kinda bored. I keep renewing it from the library, but have little desire to read it. I would like to finish what I started, though.
No. It's a not good book.

Unlike Revival, which is his best in about twenty years.

Protome

I finished and loved Garth Nix's Clariel, the ending felt a bit rushed though. The main character is tough to like but I appreciated her difference from the usual stereotype in that she tries to avoid all the politics and plotting governing her life but found it annoying that almost all of her thoughts ended with "And then I'll go back to the forest and live there." Definitely a very single minded character.

It was interesting to see the Old Kingdom at what assumably is the end of its Golden Age pre-Kerrigor, it's a very different version of the world from the first books.

Started reading A Slow Regard Of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
Pat-rothfuss.jpg

and also The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland And Led The Revels There by Cathrynne M. Valente. I'm liking this one a lot so far, it feels like a smart follow up to the first Fairyland book and Valente's writing style is brilliant.
13538708.jpg

charsace

I, Robot. Has the shitty Will Smith cover though. Gonna read Neuromancer after this. Today I am going to see Interstellar.

ShaneB

Hmm... now you're asking for details. I want to say it wasn't vastly different. Sagan has an immense propensity for the scale of the universe that comes across in the book very well.

Someone with more recent knowledge or a better memory of the details might be able to correct me on the "vast difference" question.

Heh, not looking for details I suppose, just wondered if it was that different. I still think I'll read it someday, but who knows.

I've moved on this this after someone mentioned it here not long ago, apologies for forgetting who you are!

Now reading...
The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by D.C. Pierson

6614830.jpg

The title hooked me when mentioned and thought to check it out. Good so far, certainly feels like it will be a page turner just to see what the heck is going on.

Reading Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer based on the October thread. Nearly done with it, but not sure what to think yet. I hope the book (series?) has a decent payoff.

I'm also always reading a book about Agile because I'm currently an agile coach at my company.

Necrovex

Since some are talking about Stephen King, what are his *must-read* novels? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to his works.

kick51

Banned
after many false starts, I'm getting through Illuminatus Trilogy a second time and understanding it a lot better than when I was 20 and in the dark on about 90% of the references. Still mind blowing that some conspiracy theorists take the book seriously though, even though it's pretty blatantly parodying them.

Awesome book, though probably the most chronologically jumbled book ever...I don't think the reader is supposed to keep perfect track of the timeline though.

Since some are talking about Stephen King, what are his *must-read* novels? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to his works.
Under the Dome is my favorite followed closely by 11/22/63. Of all his works I'd consider those must reads. The Stand and It were very good as well and I suggest you check them out. Everything else I've read by him has been good but I wouldn't necessarily label as "must read" (The Shining, The Mist, Duma Key, Mr Mercedes, Joyland, Dr. Sleep, Dark Tower 1 and 2).

zsswimmer

I just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Very fascinating book, I'm not quite sure what to make of the ending as I literally just finished it but I would guess its something along the lines of "What makes us human", right?

Any suggestions for someone who is a fan of this literature? Also have read 1984, Brave New World, I Am Legend, and I'm in the middle of The Dog Stars. I really enjoy dystopian/alternative future books.

In roughly chronological order:

Salem's Lot
The Long Walk (published under the Richard Bachman pseudonym)
The Shining
The Stand
It
Pet Sematary
The Dark Half (seriously underrated)

And then? If you love all those, you can try The Gunslinger (the first dark tower book) and explore other bits. But those are all solid brilliance.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Finished 'A Farewell to Arms'. If The Sun Also Rises is a ten in my list, then this one was a nine.
what a devastating ending though
. Now that I finished this o have more time for The Stand. Been reading it for a week and I'm only 45 percent through. But its amazing so far.

Pau

I've been reading Tanith Lee's Night's Master but not really enjoying it. Weird too, because it's kind of what I enjoy writing. (Folktales and such.)

I just haven't found a book I've enjoyed since I put Consider Phlebas on hold for being so generic. :(

Yeah, I expected a whole different type of animal than what I was given. This isn't the first time expectations has ruined a form of media (i.e. Bug). I may attempt to reread Earthsea in a year or so, now I have some idea what to expect from Guin's writing style.
Do it. You won't regret it.

Le Guin is my queen.

Currently switching between a few books:

-A Wizard of Earthsea, which I must echo the negative commands about the writing style above. We'll see. I hope to finish at least books 1 and 2 and see how I feel about it then.
-The Perhipheral, where Gibson is still pushing his books to near breaking point with ideas and jargon (which I consider a selling point)
-Stoner, which I've been looking forward to for a while now.

Necrovex

I'm no King buff, but I've read

The Stand
The Shining
The Dead Zone

All 3 were good, but I'd say The Stand is a must-read of King's.

Under the Dome is my favorite followed closely by 11/22/63. Of all his works I'd consider those must reads. The Stand and It were very good as well and I suggest you check them out. Everything else I've read by him has been good but I wouldn't necessarily label as "must read" (The Shining, The Mist, Duma Key, Mr Mercedes, Joyland, Dr. Sleep, Dark Tower 1 and 2).

In roughly chronological order:

Salem's Lot
The Long Walk (published under the Richard Bachman pseudonym)
The Shining
The Stand
It
Pet Sematary
The Dark Half (seriously underrated)

And then? If you love all those, you can try The Gunslinger (the first dark tower book) and explore other bits. But those are all solid brilliance.

IT and the stand.

I appreciate all the recommendations. Going to start with The Stand and follow it up with IT. Afterwards, I'll go from there with my King's books. I still need to read that Rolling Stones interview.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Le Guin is my queen.

I'll give her a shot again when I leave the country in a few months.

I'm literally crying.
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Are we killing you and Mumei with our comments?

Hrothgar

Currently reading Hamilton's Pandora's Star. I am ~2/3 in and I like it so far, but not yet sure if like it more or less than the Night's Dawn Trilogy.

I just haven't found a book I've enjoyed since I put Consider Phlebas on hold for being so generic. :(

Blasphemy of the highest order.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are we killing you and Mumei with our comments?

Not only are you stabbing me in the heart, but you're twisting the knife as well.

Every word of disdain is endless agony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom