• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

Blasphemy of the highest order.
I've only gotten about a third through it, so maybe it gets much better. I really want to like it, there's just not a lot going on to pull me in.

Or I'm in one of my weird reading ruts when it comes to fiction.

Just took a look at her novels. I know I read Fortress in the Eye of Time and pretty sure I read a couple of the Foreigner books. I know I had Cyteen but now I can't honestly remember if I read it.

Like you, it's been a really long time since I read anything of hers, but that's partly because there was something about her style that just didn't work for me.

Of course I'm older and writing myself and my tastes have changed, etc. Looks like Rider doesn't have a Kindle version, so I'll see if I can grab a copy at a used book store.

I've only read the Rider series and the Foreigner books (<-- which I also really enjoyed) from her. I'm reluctant to dive into anything else of hers at the moment since everything else seems really sci-fi and I'm kind of on an urban paranormal or fantasy kick. I get what you're saying, though. Maybe that's why I'm avoiding her other stuff? Rider at the Gate felt very light and enjoyable, though, so it's worth a pick up if you see it at the store, IMO.

I've been reading Tanith Lee's Night's Master but not really enjoying it. Weird too, because it's kind of what I enjoy writing. (Folktales and such.)

I just haven't found a book I've enjoyed since I put Consider Phlebas on hold for being so generic. :(

Do it. You won't regret it.

Le Guin is my queen.

What do you feel in the mood for, then? Or if you're not sure and that's why you're floundering on books, what do you normally like to read?

Pau

What do you feel in the mood for, then? Or if you're not sure and that's why you're floundering on books, what do you normally like to read?
I try to switch between nonfiction and fiction, but the last two fiction choices have kind of been a bust.

I thought maybe picking up something light like a fantasy YA novel would be good considering all the dense readings I have to do for my research, but it's hard to find stuff that's in the vein of Garth Nix's Abhorsen stuff, Diana Wynne Jones's Howl's Moving Castle, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles or Tanith Lee's stuff. Something short and sweet.

I plowed through A Wizard Of Earthsea and now I see the charm. I got very wrapped up in the story and details and the prose didn't bother me as much. I like the world LeGuin has built and I like that the story doesn't overstay its welcome.

Lofty word usage and endless references to lands abroad ruled by men of strange tradition are what usually drive me away from fantasy. In this case, it made me wary but didn't really matter once the second and third acts began.

Mumei

I try to switch between nonfiction and fiction, but the last two fiction choices have kind of been a bust.

I thought maybe picking up something light like a fantasy YA novel would be good considering all the dense readings I have to do for my research, but it's hard to find stuff that's in the vein of Garth Nix's Abhorsen stuff, Diana Wynne Jones's Howl's Moving Castle, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles or Tanith Lee's stuff. Something short and sweet.

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making!

51vUL4v5N3L.jpg

September is <3.

TTG

I'm about 20% into The Peripheral and it's probably common knowledge here, but I'm going to go ahead and say it anyway: it's a new sci fi book by William Gibson. We're back to Neuromancer style in the sense that it's about a future world, really cool characters and interesting internet themes(not cyberpunk though). So yea, that's kind of a big deal.

Oh, Lawd. Wrote a crap ton of recommendations out, then went and browsed through your GoodReads list and had to cross off like 90%. Haha.

*The Thief (Megan Whalen Turner) - A thief, a magus, and a rather difficult little mission. Fantasy, compact world/story, clever, not shallow but not heavy. It's a bit slow at first, but it has payoff, and if you want something relaxing to read, this might be an option. There are also two more books in the series that are even better, IMO, so you'd have something to look forward to too if you liked it.

TheThiefAug05.jpg

Engaging, and not too heavy, but not quite fantastical fantasy per se:

Bartimaeus Trilogy (Jonathan Stroud) - Victorian London, magic and djinns. Was really, really engrossing, intelligently written, and entertaining. Might be a bit more serious than you're looking for, but it's worth a read for sure.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Alternative history angle: Magic revival in England around the time of the Napolenoic Wars. Not what I'd call short, but the prose is clever/witty and Austen-esque without being heavy or mired.

Hmmm... Listing these out I'm getting a real sense of what kind of fantasy I've been reading lately... -_-;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It gets better later on.

By "later on" I mean after 2 epic fantasy tomes of Philosophy 101 wankery.

Ashes

Banned
the plan is to finish the day of the locust today. then, I'll write a couple of thousand words for NaNo.

Pau

Oh, Lawd. Wrote a crap ton of recommendations out, then went and browsed through your GoodReads list and had to cross off like 90%. Haha.

Hmmm... Listing these out I'm getting a real sense of what kind of fantasy I've been reading lately... -_-;
Oh no, I hope I didn't waste too much of your time. :( But thank you so much for the recommendations! I've heard of the first two, but wasn't too sure how they stood up. I have Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell at my parents' house. I got about halfway through, but this was also back when it was first published. I should revisit it one of these days.

Necrovex

Not only are you stabbing me in the heart, but you're twisting the knife as well.

Every word of disdain is endless agony.

So if someone said they enjoyed the Ghibli's Earthsea adaptation more than the books, what would happen to you?

Pau

So if someone said they enjoyed the Ghibli's Earthsea adaptation more than the books, what would happen to you?
The question wasn't directed to me but.

I had a science teacher in middle school who liked the sci-fi channel miniseries more than the novel.

At least the Ghibli movie is pretty.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
BRB.

Hunting down Pau's middle school teacher.

Thinking on it, Le Guin has had extraordinarily bad luck with adaptations.

Pau

There was no reasoning with her. That's when I realized she was just wrong about everything that mattered.

I do wonder what Hayao's Earthsea would have been like.

Mumei

Oh no, I hope I didn't waste too much of your time. :( But thank you so much for the recommendations! I've heard of the first two, but wasn't too sure how they stood up. I have Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell at my parents' house. I got about halfway through, but this was also back when it was first published. I should revisit it one of these days.

H.Pro, this is probably true about every book that you want Pau to read.

Pau

Tan exagerado!

If I already own the book, chances are it's there because I have no space in my apartment. :( One day I will get a real place with beautiful shelves and bring all my books with me and we will live happily ever after.

Bazza

Just finished the Liveship Traders trilogy, I did enjoy it but i think the Farseer Trilogy was better.

My main problem with this trilogy was the number of times the character got the wrong end of the stick when it came to personnel relationships, pretty much every time a character would come to a conclusion about a situation, what they thought was actually the opposite of what was going on, you would have thought that by the end they would have learned to at least consider other possibility's with the number of times their assumptions turned out to be wrong. By the end the misunderstandings actually annoyed me a little.

Other than that the story was pretty good, I quite liked how it was slowly revealed that Amber was the Fool, the few hints earlier in the books made me think that Amber was the Fool only to dismiss the thought a few chapters later when something happened that made me think it was just a coincidence, It wasn't until the slave earring she wore was discussed that was obviously the one Fitz gave to the Fool that I knew for sure.

The world is certainly getting interesting, looking forward to the Tawny Man trilogy.

moojito

Finally got round to finishing Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Took me a couple of tries to get into it, but by the end I thought it was pretty good. Plenty more where that came from as well it seems, which is nice.

Moving onto the color of magic by Terry Pratchett, another one I've had a couple of stabs at in the past without any success, but all those people recommending it can't be wrong.

B.K.

I'm almost 100 pages into Brave New World and not really liking it. Nothing has happened yet and I'm about a third of the way through the book.

Pau

Moving onto the color of magic by Terry Pratchett, another one I've had a couple of stabs at in the past without any success, but all those people recommending it can't be wrong.
The Color of Magic is probably one of his weakest books, so don't feel bad about skipping it. I think Mort, The Hogfather, Wyrd Sisters, or The Wee Free Men are better places to start and give you an idea of what his more mature style and stories are like.

No, no, not at all. My eyebrows just climbed progressively higher as I went through your list and understood just how much you've read and what a challenge I'd signed myself up for. ^_^ We like a lot of the same stuff, so I think I'm the one who's really benefiting here by trolling through your picks.

Give The Thief a try. Like I said, it's slower paced, but enjoyable nonetheless. A decent breather book. I was surprised at how much I liked the Bartimaeus trilogy, too, when I read it.

I also remember Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell being a pleasant surprise when I picked it up on a whim. There's something about English sensibilities and the social dances they did back then that made it such an entertaining read. It's worth finishing, for sure.

Ah, and, it's not fantasy, but since you're such a Pratchett fan, have you ever read Red Dwarf?

The 'it's at my parent's house' excuse, eh? Well, I know one book that's short and available to read any time that she could have at the press of a button. ;)

Jintor

It's cold outside, wrong kind of atmosphere...

Hey ReadGAF, I'm looking for a couple of Non-fiction recommendations. The only real economics primers I've read so far are The Ascent of Money and I suppose to some extent Freakonomics and Superfreakanomics. I'm looking into maybe some kind of economic primer about the transition from feudal/agrarian economics to industrial economics and its effects on nations, and also specifically Asian historical economics. If anyone has recommendations I'd love to hear them (though I'll also trawl the OP after I leave this comment)

Ashes

Banned
#3 The Day of the Locusts - not entirely sure what to make of this book. A strange book.

#4 Dante's Inferno - tried reading this when it came out. Failed. So have restarted it today & am racing through it.

Shengar

282434.jpg

Started reading this and just finished the first story, The Steppe. Unexpectedly it have heartwarming ending after what happened during the story.

Salazar

Hey ReadGAF, I'm looking for a couple of Non-fiction recommendations. The only real economics primers I've read so far are The Ascent of Money and I suppose to some extent Freakonomics and Superfreakanomics. I'm looking into maybe some kind of economic primer about the transition from feudal/agrarian economics to industrial economics and its effects on nations, and also specifically Asian historical economics. If anyone has recommendations I'd love to hear them (though I'll also trawl the OP after I leave this comment)

It ain't what you're particularly after, but you can't miss E.P. Thompson's Customs in Common

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The Expanse, book 3. It's good, and i really like multiple PoVs handed well, but the series as a whole lacks.. something. I can't exactly pinpoint what, and i have no complaints that i can ground in evidence, but.. there's something missing.

Italo Calvino's "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler."

Dude has instantly shot up as one of my favorite authors. Can't wait to read his other books. Any suggestions? I've also read the first story from "Cosmicomics" and loved it.

The Baron in the Trees is great. Really great.
The Path to the Spiders' Nests is extremely hit or miss; but could be worth a shot.

lt519

Broken: fantastic true story of a former Olympian turned soldier and then a very long series of unfortunate events follows. Both heart-breaking and uplifting to see the power of the human spirit/mind triumph. To be a movie soon (of course)

Yesterday's Gone: episodic book series that is kind of like the TV show The Leftovers with a heavy supernatural spin. Cross between the Walking Dead and The Leftovers. Basically one day 99.9% of the world's population ups and vanishes. It follows the stories of separate characters (but of course they will soon be connected). It's decent, but really addicting, starting Season 2 today. I'm a huge Hugh Howey fan (Wool, Sand, and his short stories) and the first episode of Season 1 of this series was in a Dystopian Future collection that Hugh Howey was in.

bishopp35

I recommend from The Wealth and Poverty of Nations: Why Some Are So Rich and Some So Poor by David S. Landes.

i3pffbX.jpg

He was (dead) an economic historian form Harvard. In this book he tries to explain why the West develop the conditions for the Industrial Revolution. He makes his argument by describing different parts of the world. The chapters on China and Japan are particularly interesting.

Landes argument for the disparity in wealth boils down to the difference in cultural elements that allowed economies to utilize science as a tool for economic development. Because the book compares different cultures and that combined with the author’s witty tone the book is somewhat controversial. Being accused of having a Eurocentric view of history, that is unjustified in my opinion.

You should read this paper from him Why Europe and the West? Why Not China? To see if you are ok with his arguments and writing style. I still would recommend this book if only for immense amount of anecdotes that it has.

Drake

Started reading Malazan book of the fallen again. I read the 1st 4 books about a year and a half ago, but I forgot a lot of the major plot points. Started re-reading Gardens of the Moon which I should finish in the next couple of days. It's gonna take me forever to get through all 10 books, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm looking into maybe some kind of economic primer about the transition from feudal/agrarian economics to industrial economics and its effects on nations
If I remember correctly this was covered in Guns, Germs, and Steel. Might be worth looking into.

bengraven

Just finished the Liveship Traders trilogy, I did enjoy it but i think the Farseer Trilogy was better.

My main problem with this trilogy was the number of times the character got the wrong end of the stick when it came to personnel relationships, pretty much every time a character would come to a conclusion about a situation, what they thought was actually the opposite of what was going on, you would have thought that by the end they would have learned to at least consider other possibility's with the number of times their assumptions turned out to be wrong. By the end the misunderstandings actually annoyed me a little.

Other than that the story was pretty good, I quite liked how it was slowly revealed that Amber was the Fool, the few hints earlier in the books made me think that Amber was the Fool only to dismiss the thought a few chapters later when something happened that made me think it was just a coincidence, It wasn't until the slave earring she wore was discussed that was obviously the one Fitz gave to the Fool that I knew for sure.

The world is certainly getting interesting, looking forward to the Tawny Man trilogy.

Glad to know that one of her trilogies I haven't read sounds just as emotionally frustrating as her "main" trilogies. Since I read the Tawny Man trilogy first, the "Amber" reveal isn't something that will shock me too much (though i still am up in the air about the Fool's sex...). But I'm glad to know I might not have missed too much. :p

Bazza

(though i still am up in the air about the Fool's sex...).

Yea I'm still not sure about that either,
by the end of the Liveship trilogy i was certain he Fool was female, first few chapters of the Tawny Man trilogy and I am unsure again

Started reading Malazan book of the fallen again. I read the 1st 4 books about a year and a half ago, but I forgot a lot of the major plot points. Started re-reading Gardens of the Moon which I should finish in the next couple of days. It's gonna take me forever to get through all 10 books, but I'm looking forward to it.

Currently about 2/3 of the way through Deadhouse Gates. Read GofM just before this. I'm gonna take a break and read a few lighter and shorter books after the one. Plus, my library doesn't have the next book, but has the fourth and fifth books for some reason. smh

ShaneB

Finished up The Boy Would Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To. It was alright, gripping enough that it got pretty intense in the later portion, but just really bogged down with dialogue that makes a YA labeled book feel even more YA (a label I don't like anyway). Still gave it 3/5 since It was hard to stop reading at a point and it was a fast enough read.

Now to decide what is next. Really debating Contact now since seeing Interstellar, but will decide later.

lt519

Glad to know that one of her trilogies I haven't read sounds just as emotionally frustrating as her "main" trilogies. Since I read the Tawny Man trilogy first, the "Amber" reveal isn't something that will shock me too much (though i still am up in the air about the Fool's sex...). But I'm glad to know I might not have missed too much. :p

Wow I read those books so long ago, loved them! Glad others are enjoying them as well. I read them right around the time I read A Song of Ice and Fire. Unfortunately most my knowledge of them is gone but I too read the Liveship Traders so a lot of it was spoiled already.

I'm around 150 pages deep in Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World right now.

WoT01_TheEyeOfTheWorld.jpg

I just finished that one and am about 150 pages into book 2. Glad I picked up the series. Great read even if it's pure Tolkien thievery. Honestly I don't care and I will probably read most of the series. Heard that there are some middle books to skip, like 6-9 or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom