• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanark

Just-and-Unjust-Wars-Walzer-Michael-9780465037070.jpg

That sounds interesting. Is it any good? From what viewpoint does he write?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just got a Kindle. The new Paperwhite model. Its lovely.

So....I need something super good to keep me up at night. A great page-turner. Preferably not sci-fi/fantasy as I read too much of that. No series. No 1000 pagers. No 'love it/hate it' books. Just a feel-good, gripping book that stands on its own and doesn't take place in outer space or have magic.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0393334791/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kaladin

nos4a2_limited.jpg

Half way done.....

Is there a good character in this book? This is a serious question....I doubt you can even call Vic McQueen an anti-hero or a reluctant hero.

I missed the entire September thread! Whoops.

I read The Passage, The Twelve, and Doctor Sleep in pretty quick succession. I think The Passage and The Twelve were a little too hyped for me. I don't really like how Cronin treats his female characters so that was a bit of a bummer. I absolutely loved Doctor Sleep, though, and very much agree with Besada that people who read The Shining first will be happier with it than people who saw the movie and are expecting a sequel to the movie. I didn't think it was that scary but I still loved it all the same.
I didn't even miss the presence of the Overlook (some reviews on Amazon expressed disappointment that Doctor Sleep didn't take place in the Overlook. What?!) since I was so happy to be reading about what happened to Danny and how he was able to turn his life around. I thought the ending was surprisingly happy and good

Since it's October, I've decided to just read horror this month. I'm reading NOS4A2 and really enjoying it so far. I liked both Horns and Heart-Shaped Box but so far, NOS4A2 takes the cake. Also, it amuses me that Hill refers to people occasionally as rubes in NOS4A2, since King uses that word so heavily in Joyland and Doctor Sleep. I know Hill helped his dad with the ending for 11/22/63 so I wonder how much they discuss their respective works with one another.

After I finish, I'll be starting on Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy. Any other horror recommendations?

Also, any recs for non-fiction books regarding the Cold War era? I've just finished watching The Americans and I'd like to read more about that time period.

Kaladin

Since it's October, I've decided to just read horror this month. I'm reading NOS4A2 and really enjoying it so far. I liked both Horns and Heart-Shaped Box but so far, NOS4A2 takes the cake. Also, it amuses me that Hill refers to people occasionally as rubes in NOS4A2, since King uses that word so heavily in Joyland and Doctor Sleep. I know Hill helped his dad with the ending for 11/22/63 so I wonder how much they discuss their respective works with one another.

NOS4A2 feels a lot like early King to me....especially the vulgarity of the Gasmask Man.

Barron's stuff reminds me a lot of F. Paul Wilson's so if you like The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All you might want to check some of Wilson's stuff out as well.

I ended up not loving it, although the next-to-last story
about the loggers finding the town in the woods
was pretty great. I may check out Wilson though, thanks for the tip.

Currently reading Mardi by Herman Melville, slowly working my way through all of his books.

Also there's a nice daily deal for Blood Gospel by James Rollins/Rebecca Cantrell today. I haven't read it, but I generally enjoy Rollins for quick, fun reads.
Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089LOGDE/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/ebook-nook-daily-find-bargain-deal/379003102/

I just got a Kindle. The new Paperwhite model. Its lovely.

So....I need something super good to keep me up at night. A great page-turner. Preferably not sci-fi/fantasy as I read too much of that. No series. No 1000 pagers. No 'love it/hate it' books. Just a feel-good, gripping book that stands on its own and doesn't take place in outer space or have magic.
The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille is a recent non fantasy book I enjoyed.

sqwarlock

Started reading House of Leaves last night. Not too far in, but I've already had that creeping sense of dread move up my spine. I hope the book can keep up this feeling of dread and horror.

I just finished Anansi's Boys and started Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. I am thinking of reading Steelheart once I finish Quiet.

A list of the 50 scariest novels finally got me to pick up a book and start reading. Finally decided to read Carrion Comfort, after I've been meaning to for years.

11286.jpg

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Edie: An American Biography by Jean Stein
1553228.jpg

I thought it was great. It essentially tells the history of the Sedgwicks for the first hundred pages before moving onto an extraordinarily in depth story of Edie's life. It's told through interviews with over a dozen people, so you get slightly different versions of exactly what happened. It's sad just how dark her life got after she broke with Warhol. And she never, ever really had a bright moment in her life, so for it to get as bad as it did is just terrible.

The opening paragraph of the book, about the family graveyard, sums up the weirdness of the entire Sedgwick family very well.

In the center Judge Theodore Sedgwick, the first of the Stockbridge Sedgwicks and a great-great-great-grandfather of Edie's and of mine, is buried under his tombstone, a high rising obelisk, and his wife Pamela is beside him. They are like the king and queen on a chessboard, and all around them like a pie are more modest stones, put in layers, back and round in a circle. The descendants of Judge Sedgwick, from generation unto generation, are all buried with their heads facing out and their feet pointing in toward their ancestor. The legend is that on Judgement Day when they arise and face the Judge, they will have to see no one but Sedgwicks.

Bazza

Now I have finished the Discworld books I need to get my teeth into something else. Dunno what though, after going through the Culture, 2nd read of Game of Thrones and the Discworld books and a few others in the last 9 months I think a few stand alone books are in order.

I see Pratchett has released 2 Scifi boots Darkside of the Sun and Strata anyone read those if so What are they like?

ShaneB

Never even heard of it. I'll put it on the list.

Me neither, guess I'll look into it as well. My god The Returned is a chore to get through, interesting enough concept for me to wonder how this book ends, but the writing just feels so poor.

Now I have finished the Discworld books I need to get my teeth into something else.

Did you go through the entire series? I made it through the first seven so far this year and am taking a break. I've heard "Guards! Guards!" is top notch so I really need to get to that one.

What's your take on the overall series?

Mifune

Mehmber
Great book. I even wrote DeMille a letter after reading it (this was back in the day, you know), and he was kind enough to write back. Good guy.

Yeah, I used to love DeMille's books. Gold Coast, General's Daughter, Talbot Odyssey, Cathedral, By the Rivers of Babylon, Charm School. He was a bestselling author who was actually a pretty good writer, paying as much attention to character as to blowing stuff up. I feel like he started to go downhill with Plum Island and hasn't really recovered. I liked that recent-ish Vietnam book though.

Jag

Yeah, I used to love DeMille's books. Gold Coast, General's Daughter, Talbot Odyssey, Cathedral, By the Rivers of Babylon, Charm School. He was a bestselling author who was actually a pretty good writer, paying as much attention to character as to blowing stuff up. I feel like he started to go downhill with Plum Island and hasn't really recovered. I liked that recent-ish Vietnam book though.

Think the last one I read from him was Nightfall in 2005. Looks like he wrote Wild Fire in 2009 I will have to check out.

Bazza

Did you go through the entire series? I made it through the first seven so far this year and am taking a break. I've heard "Guards! Guards!" is top notch so I really need to get to that one.

What's your take on the overall series?

Yea finished them all (39 books I think) in about 2 months, couldn't put them down, the moment I read one I was downloading the next. The kindle app estimates your reading speed, average reading time was about 5 hours a book.

As for my overall take absolutely fucking awesome, I wish there were another 39.

I just finished Shadow Games by Glen Cook, book #5 in the Black Company series. ★★★★ The book was a great return to the "proper" series after the sidetracking of The Silver Spike (which was still very enjoyable). Shadow Games featured the most back story of the company and its beginnings, as well as the most political angles in the series so far. It's still Black Company, though, so you know it ends in massive-scale warfare. I did NOT see that ending coming...man, oh man.

I'm now starting The Way of Kings by Sanderson. Been putting it off all year as I've been intimidated by its size. Now that I finished my 50 book goal, I have no more excuses. I hope it's as amazing as everyone says it is.

arkon

Finished Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. Not too much to say on it. Just what I needed after The Affirmation. Very straightforward read with little depth to it. Fun though and I did finish it in a day. At this point though I feel like I prefer his Cosmere books to his non-Cosmere ones. All the easter eggs in those books and trying to figure out what's going on behind the scenes, adds something to the experience that I haven't really felt with the non-Cosmere stuff that I've read (Steelheart and Legion). We'll see how I feel after trying out The Rithmatist.

Currently reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. First book of his that I've tried. So far so good. It's made me chuckle a few times already.

Clott

I finished this yesterday.

South-of-the-Border-West-of-the-Sun-by-Haruki-Murakami-334x200.jpg

yesterday when I got up in the morning I decided to finish it before I went to the gym. After having read the final page the imagery really stayed with me as I got ready. Then during my workout in between really heavy sets of dead-lifting it finally started to hit me and I began to question what really just happened, I am sure anyone that has read the book knows what I am talking about.

Then when I got home I thought more of it, and the imagery washed over me. The morals and themes of the story are really powerful, and are delivered in an underhanded manner, but it all layers extremely well. To think this is my first Murakami book! I can't wait to read all of them.

Currently reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. First book of his that I've tried. So far so good. It's made me chuckle a few times already.

So good. I wish I could find another book that gives me the emotional reactions that it did.

hEist

Something like "lost" as a book would be good right now. Any recommendations? Read quite lot the last months, but still missing something like lost as a book.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/12/b...oet-who-wrote-of-racism-dies-at-92.html?_r=2&

Finally, a major media outlet acknowledges the death of this American master.

Unfortunately, the poem the article chooses is the one that was the only poem available on the internet for some time, "The Negro", which is solid but doesn't really represent the man's depths nor poetic mastery. If you can ever find it, I highly recommend his "Whole Grain: Collected Poems", which is rare, at the moment, but a true literary gem. Perhaps if interest reignites to a great enough extent, his publisher - Lotus Press - will reprint that book, as well as his autobiography, which I've not read but am very interested in, given the man seems to have led an interesting life, including serving as the confidential secretary to Benjamin O. Davis, the first black general in the Air Force. He also co-edited "Dark Symphony", which, I understand, was seminal in helping African American literature to be taken seriously by critics and scholars.

Something like "lost" as a book would be good right now. Any recommendations? Read quite lot the last months, but still missing something like lost as a book.

I'd be interested in something like that too.

Got a big Lost vibe from this. Of course it doesn't take place on an island, but switch the island for the apartment building and there ya go.

14 by Peter Clines

Yep. I snatched those up. I might not even get around to them, but the concept is intriguing and you can't go wrong for $4 for two books that are there if I want to read them.

Same here, figured why not.

iammeiam

Read The Disaster Artist (the book by Oh Hai Mark from The Room) and really enjoyed it. It covered the production of pretty much every memorable scene in the movie, provided a lot of background on Wiseau, and made Sestero seem like a fairly likable guy. The only thing it's missing is a chapter or two covering what happened to everyone in the ten years since the movie.

Finished The Republic of Thieves today (the third Locke Lamora book) and it was... different and not in a particularly great way. It felt more like a connecting book in a series than an actual adventure on its own, and I feel like either the main story or the flashback story could have used a good long con to give the book some identity.

Finished The Shining and started ..

Kindle

Shadows Linger by Glen Cook

Hard Copy

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Saw The Long Earth and The Long War are both $1.99 today.

Yep. I snatched those up. I might not even get around to them, but the concept is intriguing and you can't go wrong for $4 for two books that are there if I want to read them.
I got em too.

Got a big Lost vibe from this. Of course it doesn't take place on an island, but switch the island for the apartment building and there ya go.

14 by Peter Clines

Cool. I'll check it out.

Is Octavia E. Butler's stuff comparable to Le Guin? And should I start with any particular book?
I know you're not asking me but I'd personally say a blend of Margaret Atwood and Toni Morrison. And I'd recommend checking out Kindred. If you're looking for something post-apocalypse, check out her 'Parable' series.

fakefaker

After around 1600 pages and over a month of reading, I finally finished one of the most amazing books I've ever read: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. After this, everything is going to seem so...short. Oh, and just curious if anyone knows of a good, long, international, english translated novel that they'd like to suggest. I'm pretty open to anything right now. Except to Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I've read it after playing the video games to death...

And the shortness begins with Zagreb Cowboy by Alen Mattich.

16027906.jpg

Pau

I know you're not asking me but I'd personally say a blend of Margaret Atwood and Toni Morrison. And I'd recommend checking out Kindred. If you're looking for something post-apocalypse, check out her 'Parable' series.
Oh, the question was open to everyone! :) And hmm. I'd be more interested in stuff that isn't post-apocalypse so I'll look into Kindred. Thank you!

Lumiere

Neo Member
Is Octavia E. Butler's stuff comparable to Le Guin? And should I start with any particular book?
I definitely see some similarities, Butler seems to focus more on the alien on a biological level though. I've found some of her work to be quite unsettling if not disturbing - a good example is her short story collection Bloodchild, I thought some of the stories were great but also realllly creepy.

I've read her Patternmaster, Xenogenesis and Parable series so far - missing her standalone novels. Patternmaster is available in an omnibus, Seed to Harvest - I really liked the series, one thing to keep in mind though is that the writing is a bit uneven due to the reading order being different from the writing order. It starts with Wild Seed which is arguably the best, and ends with Patternmaster which is her very first novel. Xenogesis (also available in an omnibus, Lilith's Brood) is a lot more consistent. I started with Wild Seed myself and I'm happy I went that way, so I was a bit more prepared for Xenogesis... I know people who read Xenogesis only though and really liked it, so I guess either way could work. :)

The Invention of Morel by Bioy Casares is a bit similar to Lost.
it seems to have been referenced in the series too.
Jorge luis borges introduces the book by calling it a perfect novel. I wouldnt say that but yea, its good.

TripOpt55

I finished up FlashForward (my friend got it for me as a gift since we watched the TV show) and The Colorado Kid (my cousin lent me this). Both were alright, but didn't do all that much for me. I do think I needed a little break on The Black Company books which I have been working through lately, so it was good for that. I am going to go back to Dreams of Steel now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom