• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Book Smugglers is great. It's edited by two women who read and review more than anyone else I can think of. It's not lesbian-specific, but it's a LBGT-friendly site.
Thanks, I'll give that a look.
Have you read anything by Sarah Waters and/or Emma Donoghue? Both are known for their excellent (lesbian) historical novels. Sarah Waters is better known of course, a couple of her novels have been turned into tv seris. I think Fingersmith is Sarah Waters best work to date, a Victorian crime novel that's very Dickensian, very tightly plotted with many surprises. My favorite book by Donoghue is Lifemask, about a female artists in late 18th century Britain who has to battle society's disapproval of her friendships and art.
I tried reading Fingersmith two years ago, couldn't get past the dialect. I'm not all that interested in historical fiction.

ShaneB

Finished Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend in my car after work. I cried and cried and cried as I thought I would. This is a truly special book and I am so glad I read it, highly recommended.

I think this is the first time that GAF let me down with a book choice. It was really painful for me to get through Neuromancer and took me forever to read even though it was really short. I did not understand what was going on in the book 99% of the time, I found it really hard to follow. I am not sure if it was the style of writing or the slang, but I was so confused the entire time. I have been meaning to read Ender's game and wanted to start it before the movie comes out and someone ruins it for me.

Finished:

51150ripmiL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Starting:

51CLy8Z0zwL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

tmarques

Finished:

51150ripmiL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Neuromancer made me feel truly stupid. I think I read each phrase at least twice and the whole thing never made any sense to me. In fact, I had to resort to Wikipedia to get a general understanding of the plot.

Reading -

And it's amazing. I'm fairly convinced he made up some of these stories - no one's life could be this interesting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Neuromancer made me feel truly stupid. I think I read each phrase at least twice and the whole thing never made any sense to me. In fact, I had to resort to Wikipedia to get a general understanding of the plot.

It's pretty straightforward actually, I'm surprised you had trouble with it.

It might've been due to Gibson's self-important prose.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan

Interesting ideas marred by poor execution. The beginning of the book is just genuinely bad writing, which slowly smooths out to decent as the story goes along. (Would not recommend.)

Maiar_m

Well, I worry that the books that I have found to be life changing are a bit shallow. But for me, the ones that come to mind immediately are "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett, "The Night Watch" again by Pratchett,"Don Quixote" by Miguel De Cervantes.

There's no such thing as a shallow book, only poorly written ones. Thanks for the Pratchett guide, I never know whith which I should start.

Jitterbug Perfume or Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Pirsig
Bluebeard or Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
Catch-22 or God Knows by Joseph Heller
Norwegian Wood or Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
A Prayer for Owen Meany or Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
The Stranger by Albert Camus
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Song of Solomon or Beloved by Toni Morrison
Music for Torching or The Safety of Objects by A.M. Homes
Quite a list, thanks a lot.

I've started the Karamzov Brothers (last time I read a "classic" I was in High School), will continue with catch-22 and dig something up with all your suggestions afterwards.

I am glad it was not just me. I actually read 10% of the book and then was so confused I started all over again, but it did not help.

Bazza

Finished Strata, earlier this week, certainly enjoyed it but its no Discworld :(

Also read the 5th Castle book Deadly Heat, certainly no masterpiece but it was a fun read.

Decided to read 'The Science of Discworld' books while i wait for Raising Steam to come out next month.

Carrion Comfort - I finally got to the Chess part that everyone seems to bring up when talking about this book. Maybe I'm desensitized, but I didn't really think it was anything special. There wasn't really too much that was bizarre or brutal, the scene at Melanie's house
with the little girl, and the scenes with rape
have been ten times worse.

So far though it's a pretty good read. I'm liking the mystery of not knowing who's doing what at any given time.

You have to consider Neuromancer for what it is, one of the clumsy starts of an awesome genre. I don't think Gibson is a great writer but he has a gift for imagination. I think the same thing of Vernor Vinge.

krrrt

c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

Care to elaborate?

It was near impossible to know what was going on half the time and the writing was barely above Harry potter fanfic level.

Maybe I missed the brilliance because I'm not a native speaker, but then again I can read Pynchon and McCarthy without significant difficulties so I doubt it.

There's no such thing as a shallow book, only poorly written ones. Thanks for the Pratchett guide, I never know whith which I should start.

I would venture to say almost all poorly-written books are shallow by the very nature of what that means. Part of what it means to be a good writer is having the ability to invest your words with depth.

Thanks for the Pratchett guide, I never know whith which I should start.

I'm seven books into the series and the correct answer here is: in chronological order of publication.

I know some people seem to argue the first two or three books aren't the highlights of the series, but so far they've been some of my favorites. While the series isn't 100% serialized (there's actually 5-6 different "lines" you can read to follow your favorite characters), every book does build on previous concepts and characters from previous stories.

The sole exceptionion for me has been Pyramids (book #7). Lots of folks seem to rave about that book in online reviews, but it's such a mess. I would advise skipping it. I'm a bit of a completionist, so I intend to read the entire series, but that book had the least interesting characters and plot so far. When the most interesting person in the story is a camel that's a genius at math...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There are well written books that are also shallow, just like there are well made movies that are, in the end, simple entertainment.

EDIT: I think people like Pyramids because the Assassin's Guild is super cool and Pratchett has always been restrained on that front so they don't lose their luster.

EDIT: I think people like Pyramids because the Assassin's Guild is super cool and Pratchett has always been restrained on that front so they don't lose their luster.

This is true, but outside of one or two really neat guild admittance test sequences, they aren't featured much in the story. It strikes me more of Pratchett telling us how amazingly cool the assassins are but not showing us in the book.

I'm happy to hear they are featured again in the series. There's a lot of potential with those characters.

Zhengi

I finished up A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four. I'm thinking of taking a break from Sherlock Holmes and starting up White Haired Demoness.

Bazza

The sole exceptionion for me has been Pyramids (book #7). Lots of folks seem to rave about that book in online reviews, but it's such a mess. I would advise skipping it. I'm a bit of a completionist, so I intend to read the entire series, but that book had the least interesting characters and plot so far. When the most interesting person in the story is a camel that's a genius at math...

Iv gone through the entire series in the last 2 months so all the books a pretty fresh in my mind, I wouldnt suggest skipping any of the books. It isnt the best but I quite enjoyed Pyramids, personally its somewhere in the middle for me, it felt to me that it was written to introduce a new main character but was never followed up with future books.

Azih

I liked the prodigal son coming home part of Pyramids and
the culture clash the main character experiences when he goes back home from Ankh Morpork. I also found Dios to be an incredibly interesting and well realized antagonist. The parts where he was truly lost after the event that turned the whole society upside down was actually pretty moving.

I also liked the side bits about the architect and his sons as well as the embalmer and his apprentice.

Also the sequence where one of the minor priests suddenly turned into a sports commentator when all the Solar Dieties appeared and started battling over the Sun was one of the straight up funniest bits in Pratchett overall (and that takes some doing), that the priest was almost immediately after thrown to the crocodiles was just cake.

Considering how much I remember of it I think it is one of the highlights of the Discworld for me.

I think I like 'middle period' Pratchett anyway. He seems to have transitioned slowly from outright comic parody (RinceWind) to deep characters and their struggles with serious themes (Vimes and Granny WeatherWax) and the middle had elements of both.

Small Gods I think balanced both parts of so very wonderfully.

Sam Vimes

Neo Member

Well, If I were to offer up a Pratchett Guide, specifically referring to discworld, then it is probably a little different. The first 2 books are a good introduction to the world. If you enjoy fantasy, then you will get a kick out of those. From there, you primarily have a choice of which "sub-series" you want to go at. There is: The Watch, The Witches, Death, Rincewind, and more recently Moist. There are also some books here and there that actually have nothing to do with any of the subplots, but those are some of the best one, namely Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment. My favorite sub series is The Watch. It has one of my favorite literary characters ever. Following that its probably the witches. Keep in mind all of the books have been good, in my opinon, but some stand out as his best. The Night Watch, Small Gods, Monstrous Regiment, and Wyrd Sisters. Terry Pratchett has an amazing ability to use the medium of satyrical fantasy to say alot about real issues of race, sex, and justice.

And I am just now realizing having typed this that you probably were not asking for a guide to Pratchett, but w/e there it is.

FL4TW4V3

Just finished reading:

hhJsavjl.jpg

I did go in without knowing this was a YA novel. I was not disappointed at all though. Very nice world building, a strong female lead character and nicely laid out plot. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it's pretty slow at the first two thirds. I'll gladly read the second novel in the series when it comes out.

Next in line:

YBVR7D2l.jpg

Sam Vimes

Neo Member

Pyramids is definitely very forgettable. Its been so long since I read that book, I barley remember anything about it. But I read Men at Arms a long time ago as well, and I don't think I will ever forget how the main character comes into his own.

Currently:
J8usfdT.jpg

The Emperor of Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
A really interesting and in depth look at the history and current state of cancer research and treatment.

lY8890t.jpg

Finally getting through Gaiman's Sandman series. Great, great stuff.

besada

Banned
Welcome to my ignore list

I'm not sure i'd ignore someone who hated Neuromancer, but I sure wouldn't take advice from them on what to read. Great book, interesting prose, interesting ideas for the time in which it was written. I think part of the modern reader's issue with it might be that it's considerably less science-fictional today than it was in 1984, and that nearly every cyberpunk book or movie since then has shamelessly ripped it off.

Azih

I'm not sure i'd ignore someone who hated Neuromancer, but I sure wouldn't take advice from them on what to read. Great book, interesting prose, interesting ideas for the time in which it was written. I think part of the modern reader's issue with it might be that it's considerably less science-fictional today than it was in 1984, and that nearly every cyberpunk book or movie since then has shamelessly ripped it off.

I read it a long time ago and what bugged me after I finished it was how little agency the protagonist had. He was just buffeted along by events and manipulated by the plots of entities far far higher up in the hierarchy than he. Which is kind of a defining element of cyberpunk but still off-putting.

besada

Banned
I read it a long time ago and what bugged me after I finished it was how little agency the protagonist had. He was just buffeted along by events and manipulated by the plots of entities far far higher up in the hierarchy than he. Which is kind of a defining element of cyberpunk but still off-putting.

And I can understand that, although the theme of being a pawn in a much larger game probably resonated with us more in 1984, during the Cold War, than it does now. Case is being used by everyone, while he desperately tried to use everyone in return.

Jintor

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

In his afterword, Nabokov registers his regret that in writing Lolita, he was forced to abandon his natural Russian for what he describes as a 'second-rate brand of English'. If his use of the language is only second-rate, then, I must be a fourth- or fifth- class plebian. It took me a month for various reasons, at least some of them just because I felt so bloody uncomfortable sometimes with what I was reading, but this is probably one of the best books I've ever read.

Fusebox

Banned
Just did the One-click kindle purchase of All you Need is Kill based on the cover, thanks Fl4tw4v3.

Jitterbug Perfume or Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

Awesome recommendation, I love Tom Robbins books, they were so formative on my teenage years but at the time I was so taken by his absurdity that I didn't even realise it.

Jintor

Anyway, I had a look over at my to-read shelf and somehow I've used up my entire stock of non-fiction but still have almost 7 fiction books left to look at (though 3 of them are IQ34). Any help? I alternate non-fiction and fiction so this will be crippling.

First and foremost I'm looking for a decent crime non-fiction (I really liked Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets and Tokyo Vice, if that helps any) but following that I'll read a GAF-recommended non-fiction on just about anything.

No more Studs Turkul though, I realised I've nearly read almost all of his stuff.

Finished:

Bedtiming: The Parent’s Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep at Just the Right Age by Marc Lewis

I hope anecdotal evidence isn't a trend to parenting books. This one has a lot of little stories but I didn't care about them. It was also pretty repetitive. I thought this would be more of a "how to sleeptrain your baby" type thing, but it's more of a "*when* to sleeptrain" thing, which I should have figured based on the title.

I stopped reading this:

Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht

It was okay, but I eventually got bored 75% of the way. I appreciated that it was like a more manly-man urban fantasy and I liked the setting of the uprising in Ireland, but I just wasn't interested in the characters anymore. Didn't even care about the
fae war or the mystery behind Bran

Fusebox

Banned
Hey nakedsushi what age did the book suggest sleep training should start? Save me reading it. At the moment I just take my 2yo to bed when she looks tired which is around 10pm most nights and I'm thinking I should start reigning it in.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Anyway, I had a look over at my to-read shelf and somehow I've used up my entire stock of non-fiction but still have almost 7 fiction books left to look at (though 3 of them are IQ34). Any help? I alternate non-fiction and fiction so this will be crippling.

I do the same sort of thing. Just went to my non-fiction shelves and pulled out three that I reread a lot because each of them is truly awesome in its own way:

- Frank Arnaud: "3,000 years of deception in Art and Antiques"
- Guy Deutscher: "The Unfolding of Language"
- Peter Thompson: "Creative Propogation"

I might add to that, depending on your background, Karl Sigmund's "Games of Life". Even if you are familiar with the intellectual content, the writing and the humour throughout is a joy in itself.

There's more, and more varied, where those came from. But if you're after true crime you can't do much batter than Ann Rule's "The Stranger Beside Me".

TTG

Finished Consider Phlebas today:

8935689.jpg

The action was fun, entertaining is a good word for my impression of the book. That being said, I wasn't thinking much about it all during the week or so it took to read and I can already feel it slipping from my interest only hours after finishing. There are low points here as well. The main character's impetus for fighting in the war is relegated to a few(I think I counted 3) conversations with the Culture agent that sound academic at best. It's interesting what Vonnegut(the sci fi I was reading before this) can do in a few lines for the nature of his characters that eludes Banks, in spite having hundreds of pages with a small cast of characters to focus on. The appeal is the action filled plot then and it mostly succeeds. I think the moments before the climax were hopelessly drawn out, it doesn't pay to stretch out a small length of time that far when the reader knows what's coming. Same goes for another chapter where the main character finds himself stranded on an island, that detour takes forever, nothing gained.

Anyway, a lot of action that mostly worked and an interesting universe. Too bad it rang a little hollow, being left on its own without interesting characters or exploration of interesting themes(as the title suggested!)

Hey nakedsushi what age did the book suggest sleep training should start? Save me reading it. At the moment I just take my 2yo to bed when she looks tired which is around 10pm most nights and I'm thinking I should start reigning it in.

The sleep training says there are windows of ages where it's good to start sleep training. The earliest window is 2.5-4 months. The latest window is around 3 years old.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank.

Reading The Book Thief made me realize I had never read Anne Frank's diary. So I did.

TTG

What's a good Chuck Palahniuk novel? I've meant to try one since I saw FIght Club, where do I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom