• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey nakedsushi what age did the book suggest sleep training should start? Save me reading it. At the moment I just take my 2yo to bed when she looks tired which is around 10pm most nights and I'm thinking I should start reigning it in.

Those sleep training books are about getting young babies and very young toddlers to bed on their own. The most popular remains the Ferber method, which has supporters and detractors. I don't think they'll cover exactly what you're looking for at that age, but they might.

Completely unsolicited parental advice (and I mean no offense) but most pediatricians will say that 10 PM is WAAAAAY too late for a two year old. Sleep is so important to young kids, and the more, the better. Is your daughter still napping a lot during the day? How long does she sleep at night? You want her to sleep a total of 10-12 hours a day at that age. Ask her pediatrician, but those are the popular numbers in the literature I've read.

The average bedtime I've heard from lots of people with kids that age (real life friends, coworkers, and online) would be 7:30-8:00 PM for that age. The key is to set a schedule and be very consistent about it. Nighttime rituals are great for toddlers.

My son is three and he goes to bed at 8 PM without fail. We read some books, take a bath, sing some lullabies, then it's to bed with lights out. Took about three days to get him into the ritual and we've stuck with it for two years now.

Fusebox

Banned
Those sleep training books are about getting young babies and very young toddlers to bed on their own. The most popular remains the Ferber method, which has supporters and detractors. I don't think they'll cover exactly what you're looking for at that age, but they might.

Completely unsolicited parental advice (and I mean no offense) but most pediatricians will say that 10 PM is WAAAAAY too late for a two year old. Sleep is so important to young kids, and the more, the better. Is your daughter still napping a lot during the day? How long does she sleep at night? You want her to sleep a total of 10-12 hours a day at that age. Ask her pediatrician, but those are the popular numbers in the literature I've read.

The average bedtime I've heard from lots of people with kids that age (real life friends, coworkers, and online) would be 7:30-8:00 PM for that age. The key is to set a schedule and be very consistent about it. Nighttime rituals are great for toddlers.

My son is three and he goes to bed at 8 PM without fail. We read some books, take a bath, sing some lullabies, then it's to bed with lights out. Took about three days to get him into the ritual and we've stuck with it for two years now.

She goes to sleep at 10pm, gets up around 9:30am and has another 2-3 hour nap every afternoon. So long as she gets the hours I don't mind when she gets them.

I'm reading some essays by Ralph Emerson and I disagree with a lot of what he has to say (especially his notions of how collecting ideas from the past is a waste of time). My mind has been firing on all cylinders as a result.

I've always been grumpy at transcendentalists overall. They sometimes make a few good points among the ridiculousness.

Before this, I was blasting through Catch 22, which is hysterically funny after finally quitting a job of stupidity and bureaucracy.

Nezumi

Finished:
Abraham_Dragons-Path-TP-220x330.jpg

Good book! Abrahams is really becoming one of my favorite writers. I just wished that there had been some kind of overview for the 13 races since I kept mixing them up. Nothing much to say about the story though since it ended just the moment things really started to get going. Already downloaded the second book though.

518b8n2f4PL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

All in all this series was really fun to read listen to. Though at the end Sullivan did get a bit carried away with all the twist and there were some minor plotholes which gave the whole ending an overly constructed feel.
I didn't really get why Gwen had to die in order for things to turn out the way the did. And it never gets explained who shot her on that bridge in the first place. Seems to me that it would have been way easier if she would have just been open about having a daughter end everything. Not to mention that I think the whole part were Hadrian realized that when she was talking about Mercy, she actually ment the child was rather forced. Another thing that bothered me was the fact, that neither Hadrian nor Royce ask Wyatt about the fact why Ellie is alive and well, especially since Hadrian went to all the trouble to ask that jungle warlord after her whereabouts.

Currently reading:

12591698.jpg

Only 10% in so far, but man, if things didn't kick of fast :)

2940012926500_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Since i'm really interested in reading that Grendel book mentioned earlier in this thread I decided to read this first since I'm not really familiar with the material. Not an easy read for an non-native speaker, I have to admit.

300x300.jpg

Been delaying listening to this for ages because I know it is the last one and I don't like it when things I love come to an end. Not far enough in yet to have an opinion. Atlantis Complex was rather weak in my opinion, so I hope this one brings the series back to its former genius for one last time.

Amazon's daily deal today is books with movie adaptations for $1.99. I picked up Jurassic Park. Never read it and have always wanted to.

Finished:

Good book! Abrahams is really becoming one of my favorite writers. I just wished that there had been some kind of overview ofter the 13 races since I kept mixing them up. Nothing much to say about the story though since it ended just the moment things really started to get going. Already downloaded the second book though.

This reminds me, I have to get The Tyrants Law (book 3 of The Dagger and the Coin). I got book 1 for free with Pandora's Star and was hooked and went through that and book 2 in no time.

velociraptor

12988330.jpg

Enjoyable read. I look forward to the sequel.

Novel_Paperback_Cover.jpg

Incredible book. Character development is what makes this a worthwhile read.

Currently reading:
231599.jpg

I'm a sucker for science fiction books revolving around space conflicts. Liking what I read so far. Giving a nice account of Anderson's role as a soldier.

Tenrius

Since i'm really interested in reading that Grendel book mentioned earlier in this thread I decided to read this first since I'm not really familiar with the material. Not an easy read for an non-native speaker, I have to admit.

It's not really necessary. You don't need anything but a basic summary, which could literally be put into a four word sentence (
dude kills three monsters
).

They're not gonna like me either. I've hated the following gaf darlings:

The Shadow of the Torturer
The Forever War
Stranger in a Strange Land
Neuromancer

The only one I can think of for me that fits the bill is American Gods. One of the few (only?) books in the past few years I willfully stopped reading. Yet a majority of GAF seems to love it. Makes me wary about trying other Gaiman stuff.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I reread The Shining like a lot of people have this month (i read it 15 years ago). Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a whole different experience reading it when you have a son that is Danny's age. I'm going to read Dr. Sleep too.

Also reading The Flight of the Intellectuals by Paul Berman. Recommended to anyone who participates in threads involving the intersection of politics and religion.

And there's a new Bond novel by William Boyd, also set in the 60s like the one by Sebastian Falks. Any takers?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
The only one I can think of for me that fits the bill is American Gods. One of the few (only?) books in the past few years I willfully stopped reading. Yet a majority of GAF seems to love it. Makes me wary about trying other Gaiman stuff.

Oh add that to the list. Absolutely loathed that book. Boring plot and boring characters.

NekoFever

Ordered this myself a couple of days ago. Never read before it and want to read Doctor Sleep. So yeah, The Shining is what I'll be reading this month.
Looks like I'm not the only one with the idea of reading that. I got it in a Kindle Daily Deal a while back but since a friend lent me his copy of Doctor Sleep, I figured I should read it.

Excellent so far. I'm up to Part Four:
Snowbound

Nezumi

It's not really necessary. You don't need anything but a basic summary, which could literally be put into a four word sentence (
dude kills three monsters
).

:D Ah well, I'm already halfway through (
Dude is about to kill the second monster
) so I'll finish it anyway.

krishian

Finished:

Good book! Abrahams is really becoming one of my favorite writers. I just wished that there had been some kind of overview for the 13 races since I kept mixing them up. Nothing much to say about the story though since it ended just the moment things really started to get going. Already downloaded the second book though.
I think there's something about the races in the second book, or you could just read it here. It's pretty basic, though.

Always nice to see more Abraham fans <3

Narag

Amazon's daily deal today is books with movie adaptations for $1.99. I picked up Jurassic Park. Never read it and have always wanted to.

I was excited to see that deal as none of the recent dailies had appealed to me. Think I snagged Jurassic Park, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Jaws, and Catch Me If You Can.

She goes to sleep at 10pm, gets up around 9:30am and has another 2-3 hour nap every afternoon. So long as she gets the hours I don't mind when she gets them.

That's plenty of sleep from a health standpoint, so no worries there. The only reason you might have to adjust in the future would be pre-school or something to that effect.

Piecake

518b8n2f4PL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

All in all this series was really fun to read listen to. Though at the end Sullivan did get a bit carried away with all the twist and there were some minor plotholes which gave the whole ending an overly constructed feel.
I didn't really get why Gwen had to die in order for things to turn out the way the did. And it never gets explained who shot her on that bridge in the first place. Seems to me that it would have been way easier if she would have just been open about having a daughter end everything. Not to mention that I think the whole part were Hadrian realized that when she was talking about Mercy, she actually ment the child was rather forced. Another thing that bothered me was the fact, that neither Hadrian nor Royce ask Wyatt about the fact why Ellie is alive and well, especially since Hadrian went to all the trouble to ask that jungle warlord after her whereabouts.

The old professor guy kills her. I believe this was explained. Its been several months, but I think the reason for it was that if Royce knew he had a kid he would talke her and Gwen away and live out his life in peace. Well, that couldn't happen without fucking over the entire world. The professor kills her because he feels a deep regret of betraying the last heir previously and will do anything to make up for it. Gwen doesnt tell Royce because she can see the future and knows that if she tells him he has a kid he won't do what he is meant to do. That is also why she doesnt tell hadrian and makes it cryptic. She knows he won't understand about this whole future doom/mission thing of Royce and will tell his friend because that will give him happiness.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Have you watched the show? A must watch. I can't believe how underrated or off the radar the series is here on GAF.

No, I wanted to read the book before getting into the show, I like to create images of the characters on my own.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can someone explain to me why some books use the tagline "A Novel"? Is it just a stylistic thing now or what?

Can someone explain to me why some books use the tagline "A Novel"? Is it just a stylistic thing now or what?

It's either stylistic or because they're afraid people will mistake realistic works of fiction for a biographical/autobiographical piece.

lightus

Just finished Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. I really enjoyed it.

Next up is Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. I adored the First Law trilogy, so I'm excited to start!

2315892.jpg

fakefaker

Finished off Zagreb Cowboy by Alen Mattich tonight and thought it was pretty good for a debut novel. Felt a little too relaxed at times for something that should be gripping...

Now onto some Steampunk with The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder.

8181143.jpg

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
It has been many years now, but if I recall correctly this gets into a weird, cultish combine living style of preaching. I could very well be wrong.

it's also homophobic and sexist.

Well, Book of the New Sun is brilliant but a difficult read

The only thing challenging was finishing the book given the aimless plot, two dimensional characters and sex fanservice. I'm not quite sure what I've supposed to have missed that makes this book so good.

TTG

Top ten sci fi books, because I'm bored. In no particular order:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Dune - Frank Herbert
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
Hyperion - Dan Simmons
1984 - George Orwell (have to admit, haven't gone back to this since high school, hopefully it still holds up)
The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
Old Man's War - John Scalzi
Foundation 1 and 2 - Isaac Asimov

What you got gaf?

The only thing challenging was finishing the book given the aimless plot, two dimensional characters and sex fanservice. I'm not quite sure what I've supposed to have missed that makes this book so good.

I've only read the first of the four in the series, but it was amazing. Aimless plot? Everything ties together wonderfully in that first book. Severian is basically the least two-dimensional character I've read. He's fully fleshed, his motives get investigated, he always reveals his mindset, he fesses up to not always being honest with the reader (which is amazing), and he's pretty much one huge bad ass.

I don't recall any fan service. What book did you read???

---

Hard to pick a top ten science fiction for me, since the genre has so many amazing books and different sub-genres. I'll go with:

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
Dune - Frank Herbert
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Leviathan Wakes - James S.A. Corey
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

Rayven

aka surume
Just finished the Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. Highly recommended.

Trying to get into Machine of Death on a recommendation, but it's just ok so far.

Good stuff on those lists. My top Sci-fi:
Dune
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
The Man in the High Castle
Whipping Star
Destination Void
Slaughterhouse Five
Childhood's End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom