• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2014)

Syncytia

Reading Revelation Space on my Kindle and The Divine Comedy in hard copy.

I will probably go on to read Dark Places and Horns next, as those are the only books by those two authors that I have not read yet.

I'm just finishing up Pushing Ice, it was weird at first but I'm really enjoying it now. I guess you could say a lot of his books are weird at first in a way though...

I read Chasm City before that. Now I'll probably do Revelation Space since I have the series already and you've reminded me of it.

Bazza

Finished War of the Roses: Trinity last night, it was a good book but I didn't think either of the War of the Roses books were as good as the books in his Emperor and Conqueror series.

Will be getting started on Hunter's Run by George R. R. Martin, Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham next.

NekoFever

Fear and Loathing in La Liga by Sid Lowe

51f-MhulYzL.jpg

It's about the football (soccer) rivalry between Barcelona and Real Madrid, the two dominant teams in Spain. Very interesting so far, mainly looking at it through the prism of the Spanish Civil War and Franco's regime, as historically Madrid has been viewed as Franco's team and the team of Spain, while Barcelona is more associated with Catalonia, separatism and rebellion against the fascists - but both perspectives are huge oversimplifications. Obviously being a football fan helps, but there's plenty of historical context here for everyone else.

kmax

Finished Gone Girl a few days ago (Psyched for the movie). Right now, I'm thinking of finishing Blood Meridian which I stalled some time ago or pick up a new book.

Libra. Tonight. I need to finish it by noon today for my lit class, because I'm lazy and forgot to read it earlier. I'm about five cups of coffee deep and my eyeballs feel like they're about to fall out of my face, but I'm trying.

Gambit

Just started Assassin's Apprentice of the Farseer Trilogy.

100 pages in, I am totally hooked. Especially by the first person narrator. It's rare to see it done so well.

moojito

I am pilgrim. I had it recommended to me, and the first couple of reviews on goodreads made me think it was going to be life changing. 10 or so chapters in and it's ok, but all I'm doing is checking and rechecking the cover to make absolutely sure it's not a Tom Clancy novel I've picked up by mistake.

I've just borrowed the Sandman graphic novel series by Neil Gaiman from my library and I'm half way through the first book, Preludes and Nocturnes. Easily my favourite graphic novel books ever; great writing and amazing art and imagination.

HORRORSHØW

I took a 30 second look at that book, loled and closed it back up.

my first, second, third, and maybe forth reaction to the book.

I've just borrowed the Sandman graphic novel series by Neil Gaiman from my library and I'm half way through the first book, Preludes and Nocturnes. Easily my favourite graphic novel books ever; great writing and amazing art and imagination.

it really is great. the first book is indeed a prelude to a rich and detailed mythology, both borrowed and created. enjoy.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
efn3S8ql.jpg

Still working on Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie.

It's a lot more straightforward than its predecessor, which is helping me enjoy it as a traditional SF narrative, rather than being swamped by the worldbuilding/gender stuff that was so heavy the first time around. Very good, very likeable, very different than Ancillary Justice.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Began Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself and I'm sad to say that I don't think I'll continue reading it. It just kind of reads like mediocre fan-fiction. The writing style leaves a lot to be desired; it isn't immersive AT ALL to me. The author is really bad at descriptions (IMO, of course).

Auctopus

Just finished 'At The Mountains of Madness', it was my first Lovecraft and I enjoyed it for the most part. I got a little bogged down towards the end when
they're at the city and Lovecraft starts throwing shit tons of history and information at you
but apart from that I really liked the sense of adventure and unknowing.

Probably will spend October finishing off other books: Wild by Cheryl Strayed, One Hundred Years of Solitude and Metamorphosis.

Then I'll move on to the Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

Guns, Germs and Steel's writing is drier than Death Valley in summer.

When it comes to educational non-fiction, the prose needs to be engaging or else I just lose interest. I'd be better off reading a textbook instead.

I like Jared Diamond's writing, I'd agree that the prose is just so-so, but to me I actually value organization over prose for my non-fiction reading. And Diamond is great at keeping things organized and on topic even when covering an extremely broad topic.

Oh no! I just got to this point. Hopefully I can power through it.

Personally I thought China and a little bit past that was the height of the book. It's ridiculous and follows too many characters but it's fun, and there's a few funny scenes after that. I wouldn't make fun of anybody for giving up after that though.

Interfectum

Just finished The Martian. Fantastic book, loved the main character.

Started reading Infected (Scott Sigler). Pretty good so far, fairly gory and fun.

MrOogieBoogie

Just went on an impromptu spending spree. Ordered the following (eight books) for about $35 shipped:

Blindness, by José Saramago
Justine (The Alexandria Quartet, #1), by Lawrence Durrell
Pale Fire, by Vladimir Nabokov
Suttree, by Cormac McCarthy
Jesus' Son, by Denis Johnson
The Gormenghast Novels, by Mervyn Peake

Just went on an impromptu spending spree. Ordered the following (eight books) for about $35 shipped:

Winners all, from what I know of them. I actually own all of them but have only read Blindness, which is great, as is most Saramago - again, as I understand it. He won the Nobel for a reason, I presume.

I finished Acceptance by Jeff VanDermeer last week. For those who have as well, what did you think? Happy or disappointed?

As for October, I'm still plodding through Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie, City of Saints & Madmen by VanDermeer, and Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie.

Began Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself and I'm sad to say that I don't think I'll continue reading it. It just kind of reads like mediocre fan-fiction. The writing style leaves a lot to be desired; it isn't immersive AT ALL to me. The author is really bad at descriptions (IMO, of course).

I find the stuff he's done after the trilogy to be much better.

jtb

Banned

damn good list. love Pale Fire, Jesus Son

MrOogieBoogie

I find the stuff he's done after the trilogy to be much better.

Oh, that's good to know. I'm a sucker for good prose, which is why I love McCarthy, for instance. As long as something is beautifully written then I'll read it; it can usually be about anything. Unfortunately, Abercrombie's prose isn't immersing me, and for me to enjoy a book I need to be able to envision every sentence or passage wholly and lusciously. If that makes any sense.

You're in for such a treat. Quick, reserve the next two volumes at the library already.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, that's good to know. I'm a sucker for good prose, which is why I love McCarthy, for instance. As long as something is beautifully written then I'll read it; it can usually be about anything. Unfortunately, Abercrombie's prose isn't immersing me, and for me to enjoy a book I need to be able to envision every sentence or passage wholly and lusciously. If that makes any sense.

His style remains mostly unchanged from book to book. He certainly improves as a writer as he goes along and the First Law are definitely his roughest books, but I think it's unlikely you'll find much to love in the others if you don't care for him now.

MrOogieBoogie

His style remains mostly unchanged from book to book. He certainly improves as a writer as he goes along and the First Law are definitely his roughest books, but I think it's unlikely you'll find much to love in the others if you don't care for him now.

Ah, thanks for the insight. Plenty of authors out there for someone. :)

Wish me luck.

Good luck. I read 1/2 of his JR before giving up. I don't know that I was 'mature' enough a reader at that point, so I may make another run at it some day. By coincidence, I got both JR and Infinite Jest in the same Amazon order, and had I ready IJ first, JR might not have seemed like that big of a deal. JR is all dialog, so it's not THAT 'out there'. But I think Gaddis is better known for The Recognitions.

Almost done with 'how to write sf and fantasy' from Card. Currently wading through all sorts of advice in the last third of it that was relevant in 1990, but really no longer there today.
Self-publication these days pretty much makes that whole stuff moot.
("if you have a modem" :'D )

not sure what to read next. Will be random, no doubt.

fakefaker

Gonna celebrate Halloween by reading nothing but horror till Oct.31. First off, The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier.

NightGardener_cover_final.jpg

Nuke Soda

Still working on reading The way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Only on page 200 of a 1000+ page epic, so I'll be at it for a while. Just picked up two Witcher books by Andrzej Sapkowski to get some Witcher knowledge before The Wild Hunt comes out next February, they are The Last Wish and Blood of Elves.

braves01

Banned

Pale Fire is legit...I'd even say > Lolita if we're gonna do the ranking game.

Nuke Soda

Just finished 'At The Mountains of Madness', it was my first Lovecraft and I enjoyed it for the most part. I got a little bogged down towards the end when
they're at the city and Lovecraft starts throwing shit tons of history and information at you
but apart from that I really liked the sense of adventure and unknowing.

My favorite of the Lovecraft stories I've read. Really want that Guillermo Del Toro movie to happen.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Blindness is heartbreaking.

Almost done with The Sandman Omnibus Volume 2.

I got past the part
where the Endless goes to Dream's funeral. I like the look of the new Dream.
I am almost done with the whole series, and it's been really drawing me in.

Top Bottom