• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2013)

Finishing this up:

World_Without_End-Ken_Follet_Cover_World_Wide_Edition_2007.jpg

Then onto these:

411BW%2BB1NCL.jpg

A-Supposedly-Fun-Thing-Ill-Never-Do-Again.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Ehhh,, the TV format certainly lends itself towards having a much more fuller adaptation. I'm excited!
Well I was actually hoping for like a movie trilogy or something.

But yea, TV could still work. I just hope they do the sci-fi elements justice and they don't cheap out on it.

Dec

Finished

Wieza-Jaskolki_Andrzej-Sapkowski,images_big,24,83-7054-124-0.jpg

Onto the finale:

Pani_jeziora12.jpg

6 books later, I'll be glad to get into all the other books I want to read finally, but this series is one I always enjoy.

TV could use another really great space opera show. What do we have so far? Star Trek, Battlestar, and Firefly? (if that even counts)

Bah! Now you can be an elitist and argue the books are better :p Either way, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

In all honesty, it's almost a given that I'll have completely forgotten 95% of the story by the time the show airs.

TV could use another really great space opera show. What do we have so far? Star Trek, Battlestar, and Firefly? (if that even counts)

That would be the dream. Firefly is awesome but too light thematically to match the Expanse stuff.

A Battlestar Galactica feel would be perfect.

Larsa

Finished Consider the Lobster which was just wonderful and made me sad that DFW is gone.

uwqAv08.jpg

Decided on some light reading after that (heh), with my first Thomas Pynchon novel. I just started it, but it is surprisingly funny and the character names are kinda amazing.
I'll probably finish this tomorrow when I'm less tired...

Piecake

I'm thinking of getting into the Russian writers, an endeavour I've always avoided. Although I have read a bit of Bulgakov, next I think will be Chekov, then Gogol ( and eventually Tolstoy, Dostoesvky, and Solzhenitsyn) any suggestions of which of his works I should start with?

Id start with Dostoevsky and Tolstoy. Personally, I think they are easier to get into simply because they are better. You can easily enjoy both of their stories without comprehending the deeper meaning.

Start out with a bang and do The Brothers Karamazov.

As for Chekov and Gogol, well, im not a huge fan of short stories and I really couldnt get into Dead Souls. So yea, Dostoevsky. Do it

Id start with Dostoevsky and Tolstoy. Personally, I think they are easier to get into simply because they are better. You can easily enjoy both of their stories without comprehending the deeper meaning.

As for Chekov and Gogol, well, im not a huge fan of short stories and I really couldnt get into Dead Souls. So yea, Dostoevsky. Do it

Alright. I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Haly,

My Professor said if anyone in class reads two boys kissing she will give them extra credit. So yeah I bought it. This better be good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Haly,

My Professor said if anyone in class reads two boys kissing she will give them extra credit. So yeah I bought it. This better be good.

Good book and extra credit. Sounds like a good deal.

Ring me if you want to like, discuss themes or whatever it is you people do.

I started with The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch a few days ago after it was recommended to me by about four different people. They all assured me that I'm definitely going to like it. I'm 29% in and so far they are right - I really enjoy reading this book.

Necrovex

I've been in a major Japanese mood, so I decided to jump into some Japanese literature.

After finding this in a bookstore, I rented this book from my library:

After this, I'll probably move onto Genji or Musashi. Probably the former though. Though I'll hear some opinions.

rohnjambo

Neo Member
41lqXhfPSwL.jpg

i've been slowly progressing with this monstorus book book. i'm only on page 62 of 532 and my willpower is dwindling.
the book is divided in a series of parts however, and i'm 15 pages away from finishing the prologue and moving onto 'Part One.'
it should pick up by then. hopefully.

Been reading William Burroughs' The Soft Machine.

051876-FC222.jpg

It is blowing my mind! Very challenging read, definitely need to read every sentence a few times to get it. Junkie vignette surreal stream of consciousness insanity. Lots of gay sex. Some choice quotes:

"I was working the hole with the Sailor and we did not bad fifteen cents on average night boosting the afternoons and short timing the dawn we made out from the land of the free but I was running out of veins..."

"His shorts dissolved in rectal mucous and carbolic soap. summer dawn smells from a vacant lot."

"We sniff the losers and cut their balls off chewing all kinds masturbation and self abuse like a cow with the aftosa."

"The head priest was paralyzed and had turned into a centipede."

"So I am a public agent and don't know who I work for, get my instructions from street signs, newspapers and pieces of conversation I snap out of the air the way a vulture will tear entrails from other mouth."

And I'm only 20 pages in!

J. Bravo

Picked up all six books in the Imager series by L.E. Modesitt. Rereading the first one so I can read the next 5 haha.

Ludovico

411BW%2BB1NCL.jpg

I have a terrible habit of starting games/tv series/books and never finishing them, so this is the ultimate endurance test for me.

That being said, I'm about 230 pages in, and several connections between the characters are beginning to make sense. I'm not finding it difficult to read as far as vocabulary or setting/time is concerned, but some of the passages can be really brutal. Reading single paragraphs that span multiple pages is already disconcerting enough, but being dragged through a characters downward spiral quickly becomes uncomfortable and yet I'm still unable to put down.

This is my second real attempt at the book, and I'm really enjoying(?) it so far, so I've decided I won't pick up any other books until I finish this one. With university in full swing, I do hope that happens before the end of the year....

TTG

Agreed, except I would start with Crime and Punishment. It's simply more of a page turner and easier to digest than The Brothers Karamazov, a great first Dostoevsky novel.

411BW%2BB1NCL.jpg

I have a terrible habit of starting games/tv series/books and never finishing them, so this is the ultimate endurance test for me.

That being said, I'm about 230 pages in, and several connections between the characters are beginning to make sense. I'm not finding it difficult to read as far as vocabulary or setting/time is concerned, but some of the passages can be really brutal. Reading single paragraphs that span multiple pages is already disconcerting enough, but being dragged through a characters downward spiral quickly becomes uncomfortable and yet I'm still unable to put down.

This is my second real attempt at the book, and I'm really enjoying(?) it so far, so I've decided I won't pick up any other books until I finish this one. With university in full swing, I do hope that happens before the end of the year....

I think I post something like this once a month, but maybe it's a public service. IJ is not nearly as hard to read as its reputation would have it. I think the comparisons to Pynchon are unfair. It's long and complicated, but it's not 'difficult'. I'll say this as well: when I'm in the act of reading, I'm not the best at tying things together, but with IJ, there's been enough analysis that a second read after some study REALLY blows it open, and that's when the book really pays off. In the end, Wallace was in total control of a novel that has often been accused of being out of control.

dralla

41liGCTUL2L._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

Finished this today. It kept popping up on my Kindle and it sounded interesting. Best of all it's free if you have Prime. It's a really easy read, easily finishable in a day. It's a thriller that started it off relatively straight forward and took a few interesting turns as it went on. It gets a little silly towards the end but I enjoyed it, I'm glad I checked it out.

51aJWsQK3fL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

Also finished this the other day. I really liked it. It manages to be very descriptive without being overly wordy.

Now I think I'll get back to LOTR. I finished Fellowship last week, time for Two Towers.

Ludovico

I think I post something like this once a month, but maybe it's a public service. IJ is not nearly as hard to read as its reputation would have it. I think the comparisons to Pynchon are unfair. It's long and complicated, but it's not 'difficult'. I'll say this as well: when I'm in the act of reading, I'm not the best at tying things together, but with IJ, there's been enough analysis that a second read after some study REALLY blows it open, and that's when the book really pays off. In the end, Wallace was in total control of a novel that has often been accused of being out of control.

I don't mind slow buildups at all, and some of the early vignettes are compelling and funny. Not having those characters mentioned for over a hundred pages does become a problem, but I've got a pretty good handle on the recurring characters at this point.
Really glad I've stuck with it so far, and I'm definitely going to try to pick up the pace.

All 20 pounds of this is sitting on my bookshelf. It's been an eon since I read Pillars. How was it?

It's very similar to Pillars in terms of tone, characterization and plot -- definitely a fun read, but it can get thick at some points. Since you already have it, might be worth checking out.

It's very similar to Pillars in terms of tone, characterization and plot -- definitely a fun read, but it can get thick at some points. Since you already have it, might be worth checking out.
Cool. Thanks for the impressions. It's on "my list" which is continuing to grow, especially since subscribing to these monthly reading threads!

Kater

Banned
Hello LiteratureGAF!
It is my first post in here and I already have a question. Is there any persian literature for someone who comes from reading mostly american, british and german literature until now (Bukowski, Miller, Wells, Andreas Altmann, Kafka, Orwell;)?
Something that gives me deep insights into the culture but is also a little silly (black humour or just situational humour) and of course well written. Doesn't matter when it was written!

Mr.Swag

Banned
Been reading William Burroughs' The Soft Machine.

051876-FC222.jpg

It is blowing my mind! Very challenging read, definitely need to read every sentence a few times to get it. Junkie vignette surreal stream of consciousness insanity. Lots of gay sex. Some choice quotes:

"I was working the hole with the Sailor and we did not bad fifteen cents on average night boosting the afternoons and short timing the dawn we made out from the land of the free but I was running out of veins..."

"His shorts dissolved in rectal mucous and carbolic soap. summer dawn smells from a vacant lot."

"We sniff the losers and cut their balls off chewing all kinds masturbation and self abuse like a cow with the aftosa."

"The head priest was paralyzed and had turned into a centipede."

"So I am a public agent and don't know who I work for, get my instructions from street signs, newspapers and pieces of conversation I snap out of the air the way a vulture will tear entrails from other mouth."

And I'm only 20 pages in!
Damn, I wouldn't be able to read that. Good luck.

I liked Neverwhere a lot. Is "Ocean at the end of lane" a must read?

Pau

Hello LiteratureGAF!
It is my first post in here and I already have a question. Is there any persian literature for someone who comes from reading mostly american, british and german literature until now (Bukowski, Miller, Wells, Andreas Altmann, Kafka, Orwell;)?
Something that gives me deep insights into the culture but is also a little silly (black humour or just situational humour) and of course well written. Doesn't matter when it was written!
If you like comics, Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is quite good and definitely as a sense of humor about it.

Hello LiteratureGAF!

If you like comics, Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is quite good and definitely as a sense of humor about it.

Seconded. This is probably your best bet.

Nymerio

Finished Mr. Monster

419-wWwpsDL.jpg

then went straight to the next book in the series: I Don't Want To Kill You:

41SkGwa-WQL.jpg

I'm really surprised by how much I liked them. I've never watched Dexter who seems kind of similar to protagonist of the books so it was something completely new to me.

Kater

Banned
Thanks for the reply! :D
I will look if I see it at my local bookstores, if not I try it at online retailers.

ShaneB

Finished "The Man Who Watched the World End" this morning, it was a mixed bag, an interesting take on apocalyptic fiction, but very slow given the scenario presented. Enjoyed it enough to finish and marathon the second half. Now to decide what's next.

Dec

Finished every Witcher book. Time to play the games.

I think my next book will be one of these:

American Gods
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Brilliance
Sabrial

Top Bottom