• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

I finally broke and decided to give The Wheel of Time a try; I'm 75% of the way through The Eye of the World. I found it quite dull for the first half, but either it picked up or the Stockholm syndrome kicked in and I'm enjoying it a lot more now.

MacNille

Banned
The Israel test by George Glider. So far, it is a good read. I'm also Reading the sleepwalker: how Europa sent to war in 1914. Read it!

All-the-Birds-Singing.jpg

This is an amazing novel.

Jake Whyte is the sole resident of an old farmhouse on an unnamed British island, a place of ceaseless rains and battering winds. It's just her, her untamed companion, Dog, and a flock of sheep. Which is how she wanted it to be. But something is coming for the sheep - every few nights it picks one off, leaves it in rags.

It could be anything. There are foxes in the woods, a strange boy and a strange man, rumours of an obscure, formidable beast. And there is Jake's unknown past, perhaps breaking into the present, a story hidden thousands of miles away and years ago, in a landscape of different colour and sound, a story held in the scars that stripe her back.

It's so powerful, and absolutely beautifully written. Really pretty astonishing.

8bit

Knows the Score
Currently Julian Cope - 131 and have Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage to follow that with.

AKBPG.jpg

thumbnailgenerator.ashx

bishopp35

This are the books for the next couple of weeks.

2OO0t9M.jpg

I'm really enjoying the format with short chapters that goes back and forth in time . I always find fascinating books on scientific research because they show that more often than not scientific progress is a slow and gradual process.

Mzm3Uyv.jpg

The first book in the trilogy (Annihilation) was claustrophobic and creepy but it was too short. I'm glad that this one is bulkier.

Bazza

Decided to by myself a paperwhite, got a little tired of lugging round the tablet all the time, and there is always the risk of dropping it and breaking a £100 item is more palatable than a £350 tablet. Feels different reading on it compared to the app on the tablet, haven't had any sun yet to see how it fares outside but overall im quite happy with it.

Half way through The Heroes: Three men. One battle. No Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, thought I would finish off his books before switching genres and getting got work on Ancillary Justice.

mephel

Foundation book series by I. Asimov

It's fascinating how well do the books keep their sci-fi atmosphere. The man was a genius, 60 year old story!

I've read some of his other stuff, but never Foundation. I stumbled upon his short story I have not read since elementary school about 2 weeks ago ( http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html ) and was blown away. Foundation is supposed to be the best thing he has written, so I can't wait to finish it.

leakey

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Interesting read so far. Just finished Crime and Punishment, so it's a nice change of pace.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
RWFTDVV.jpg

Trying to read this and I'm about 30 pages in.

The prose is beautiful but very reader unfriendly.

Has anyone read it? Should I bail?

Necrovex

Serious question, why do people love Calvin and Hobbes so much? I haven't gotten the chance to read much of it.

Mumei

Serious question, why do people love Calvin and Hobbes so much? I haven't gotten the chance to read much of it.

Read it!!!111

And I don't know how to articulate it. It has this great mix of wit, comedy, a bit of sadness, and wisdom. I don't think describing the constituent elements that make up the comicstrip and what I like about it would really manage to convey it, though, so you should just read it.

Makonero

adams-holton1.jpg

I picked this up after watching the John Adams miniseries on Amazon Prime. I'm really enjoying it. The prose is great and the character of Mrs. Adams comes through wonderfully. I really love how modern she comes across in some ways. I'm about halfway through and I'm finding it one of the most engaging biographies I've ever read, up there with Lincoln's Melancholy by Joshua Wolf Shenk.

Palmer_v1

Simple but evocative art. Layered jokes. Not overly... sappy? Hokey? Not sure what I'm looking for here. Bittersweet, maybe?

Edit: Ninja'd, sort of

Read it!!!111

And I don't know how to articulate it. It has this great mix of wit, comedy, a bit of sadness, and wisdom. I don't think describing the constituent elements that make up the comicstrip and what I like about it would really manage to convey it, though, so you should just read it.

Agreed. It's one of those things that just has to be experienced.

Finished:

51zi%2B4QGquL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A few slight character motivation issues aside, I loved it. It's Harkaway alright, but this has an emotional depth he's not shown until now.

Now reading:

51YLQe1n3LL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

His book on the Brooklyn Bridge, The Great Bridge is nothing short of a masterpiece, so I'm sure this will be a great read. So far, it looks as though the U.S. thought the canal's ultimate route would never be workable but then took it over anyway when the French screwed it up. Good stuff so far, though.

Mumei

Simple but evocative art. Layered jokes. Not overly... sappy? Hokey? Not sure what I'm looking for here. Bittersweet, maybe?

Agreed. It's one of those things that just has to be experienced.

Yes. It punches me right in the nostalgia. It's one of those things where it feels like it was written just for me.

NekoFever

Yes. It punches me right in the nostalgia. It's one of those things where it feels like it was written just for me.

Nostalgia is absolutely what I get out of it. It makes me think of school holidays and running around in the woods with friends when I was a kid. I wasn't much like Calvin at all but I relate to him completely.

Shit, I need to read it all again.

My seven year old daughter has been reading the C&H omnibus slipcover volumes over and over again for the last several weeks. It's so weird and interesting watching the gears in her head turn as she works out the jokes and asks questions about the things she doesn't understand, and repeats her favorite ones to us randomly, or reads them over Skype to my parents for an hour...

During our Labor Day dinner last night: "Daddy, what's a gland problem?" (from a panel where Calvin's father says his mother would look like a hippo with a gland problem if she was pregnant).

Can anyone give me recommendations for a good humorous book? Fiction or non-fiction, it's unimportant. I also don't mind multi-genre books that have humorous elements.

Other humors I've read as reference:
Paddle Your Own Canoe
Bossypants
Seriously... I'm Kidding
The Long Earth - The Long Mars
Hitchhiker's Guide
The Art of Racing in the Rain (I thought it was funny)
A Walk in the Woods

Any recommendations would be great.

ShaneB

Calvin & Hobbes is just timeless stuff. Just all sorts of wonderful emotions come across reading it for me.

Rayven

aka surume
Just finished Sword and Citadel
51x2NPKgrML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I blew through both books in a go. Are the sequels worth picking up? How about the cited influence, tales of the Dying Earth by Vance?

I'm also starting on some non-fiction for a change:
8520610.jpg

Mumei

51x2NPKgrML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I blew through both books in a go. Are the sequels worth picking up? How about the cited influence, tales of the Dying Earth by Vance?

You should definitely read Urth of the New Son. It's a coda to the original tetralogy, and it should blow your mind all over again.

besada

Banned
Picked up Jeff VanderMeer's Acceptance, and I'll start reading it at lunch, Ancillary Justice will have to wait.

Caode

I'm just finishing up Star Wars: Path of Destruction, the first of the Darth Bane trilogy, it might not be the best written novel in the world but I've found it thoroughly entertaining and intriguing so far.

Next up is one of the following;

20895196.jpg
17684326.jpg
13596166.jpg

941207.jpg

I'm having trouble deciding...

Have you read "It" or "Insomnia"? If so, pick Dreamcatcher, as it takes place in the same town and references some of the past events.

If not, read Mr. Mercedes and tell me how it is because I want to read it as well.

O.DOGG

Inspired by the Post-Apocalyptic thread I started reading this:

164154.jpg

I'm not sure what I was expecting but the first couple of chapters were slow going. After I got over that initial hump, the book definitely picked up and I'm now 1/3 of the way through it. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the story unfolds.

tauroxd

I'm just finishing up Star Wars: Path of Destruction, the first of the Darth Bane trilogy, it might not be the best written novel in the world but I've found it thoroughly entertaining and intriguing so far.

20895196.jpg
17684326.jpg
13596166.jpg

941207.jpg

I've read The Cuckoo's Calling and Joyland, and plan to read Mr. Mercedes... I would go for Joyland first, it's the shortest one and it's very good.

Caode

I've read The Cuckoo's Calling and Joyland, and plan to read Mr. Mercedes... I would go for Joyland first, it's the shortest one and it's very good.

How was The Cuckoo's Calling? I'm just seeing the follow up; The Silkworm, going for pretty cheap online and thinking of ordering it now while it's in my head.

Wolfe is incredible. I'm not a big re-reader (too much cool stuff in the world to read for the first time) but I feel like I need to hit them all again at some point. I feel like there was too much of it that I really didn't get the first time around, which is a pretty rare thing for a genre fiction book.

I don't know if it's as well regarded, but I rather liked his more recent Wizard Knight series as well.

Jarlaxle

gormenghast-trilogy.jpg

Still very, very slowly making my way through this. It's a lot denser than what I've read in quite awhile. The descriptions and mood are fantastic though.

Necrovex

Read it!!!111

Let's do a literature trade. I'll read Calvin, and you'll read PunPun. :)

Palmer_v1

Can anyone give me recommendations for a good humorous book? Fiction or non-fiction, it's unimportant. I also don't mind multi-genre books that have humorous elements.

Other humors I've read as reference:
Paddle Your Own Canoe
Bossypants
Seriously... I'm Kidding
The Long Earth - The Long Mars
Hitchhiker's Guide
The Art of Racing in the Rain (I thought it was funny)
A Walk in the Woods

Any recommendations would be great.

the-humans.jpg

If you ONLY want to laugh, it might not be for you, but it was generally a funny book, with a few poignant moments.

Read it and find out. :)

Avatar quote? Avatar quote. I was wondering when you'd show up.

Been putting this off forever, now kicking myself I hadn't started sooner.

d83b8bacd7a0b8fc40e28110.L.jpg

I started that last month but promptly lost the book so I'm trying again this month.
Read it!!!111

The break-in story ran this summer on the website and it was handled so well, showing the horror of the parents and how scared Clavin was until he found Hobbes again. I've read whole books that can't compare to those few panels.

tauroxd

How was The Cuckoo's Calling? I'm just seeing the follow up; The Silkworm, going for pretty cheap online and thinking of ordering it now while it's in my head.

I loved it, as well as The Silkworm. A whodunnit with a main character that I like a lot who has an interesnting background that you want to know about as much as whodunnit.

The Hedge Knight from George R.R. Martin. Its quiet nice.

Indeed, make sure to read the two follow ups.

Mumei

Let's do a literature trade. I'll read Calvin, and you'll read PunPun. :)

I'll read Punpun when it comes out in beautiful oversized editions by Fantagraphics, like their editions of Wandering Son - or even like their edition of A Drunken Dream, which would be even better. :)

Saphirax

20895196.jpg
17684326.jpg
13596166.jpg

941207.jpg

Joyland is more of a growing up novel than a mystery. In fact, there's not a lot of 'mystery' involved at all.

Mr. Mercedes is better if you're in the mood for a mystery read. Although it can end up being underwhelming. Personally, I was expecting something...more out of it. It's still a decent read.

71vnR4O4SoL.jpg

Great so far. Surprisingly funny. Really enjoying it.

FANTASTIC book. Particularly if you've ever done any hiking in the Appalacians. We go to the Smokey Mountains a lot, so we related to some of it quite a bit.

I love Bill Bryson - just finished his America 1927 book, which I can't recommend enough.

survivor

Banned
I'll read Punpun when it comes out in beautiful oversized editions by Fantagraphics, like their editions of Wandering Son - or even like their edition of A Drunken Dream, which would be even better. :)

So probably never. Not only is it a long manga that Fantagraphics and other US publishers try to avoid, it's published by Shogakukan which means Viz gets priority over them.

Necrovex

So probably never. Not only is it a long manga that Fantagraphics and other US publishers try to avoid, it's published by Shogakukan which means Viz gets priority over them.

Which means Viz will never pick it up due to Punpun being a hard Senin. I can't recall the last time I have seen a senin published by Viz.

Mumei

Which means Viz will never pick it up due to Punpun being a hard Senin. I can't recall the last time I have seen a senin published by Viz.

... Monster, 20th Century Boys, and Pluto? Vagabond? Blue Spring? Children of the Sea? Solanin? House of Five Leaves? Gyo?

I could go on but I think you get the point.

survivor, please stop making me sad. I don't like being sad.

Necrovex

... Monster, 20th Century Boys, and Pluto? Vagabond? Blue Spring? Children of the Sea? Solanin? House of Five Leaves? Gyo?

I could go on but I think you get the point.

survivor, please stop making me sad. I don't like being sad.

I must have completely missed the Viz mark on my library copy of Pluto. Point taken, Sir.

Punpun may have a shot after all!...Pity it's such a niche manga. :'-(

20895196.jpg
17684326.jpg
13596166.jpg

941207.jpg

Given that Dreamcatcher might well be King's worst novel, I'd definitely not read that first. Mr Mercedes is fun, if not a little bit too close to nonsense by the end. Joyland is good. The Cuckoo's Calling is a decent first stab at crime fiction, but not the best written novel in the world.

Of those? Joyland.

Mumei

I must have completely missed the Viz mark on my library copy of Pluto. Point taken, Sir.

Punpun may have a shot after all!...Pity it's such a niche manga. :'-(

Well, they did publish two other Inio Asano manga, albeit two volume series, already so maybe there's a chance. I wouldn't be happy about the prospects of Viz translation errors, though. :|

Jag

Speaking of Bill Bryson, finishing this.

so4QUo3.jpg

Absolutely wonderful book. So much happened in such a short period of time. He does go a little before and after 1927, but I just love his writing style. He highlights the absurd with such a dry wit. It also shows how different a time this was and it wasn't even all that long ago. Highly recommended.

NekoFever

I liked it. I'm not usually a fan of crime novels but Rowling did a good job and showed there's more to her than Potter. The two main characters are great.

TheSoed

I literally just finished Field of Dishonor by David Weber, part of the Honor Harrington series:

2HOWPDb.jpg

So I'll be moving on to the next book, Flag in Exile:

emjBFPI.jpg

I've been in a big space opera mood lately, so this is totally hitting the spot. I also have Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga on the backburner. I will gladly take more suggestions for this type of space opera. I can't get enough of it, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom