• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the old thread is dead:
18007564.jpg

Finished The Martian. ★★★★ Right up my alley, with a strong mixture of survival adventure and hard science fiction. It hit on almost all the right cylinders for me, except the humor was...interesting. Most of the jokes missed with me, but I can understand a person turning to wisecracking as a coping mechanism. I will be shocked if this isn't turned into a blockbuster Hollywood script in the next few years.

Yeah, I liked it for the same reasons though the humor was more my style than yours. I especially liked the one where mission control tells him to watch what he's saying because the entire world is watching and he replies "boobies"...or possibly (.)(.). Either way, the sophomoric humor was at odds with the high falutin science talk and I enjoyed that. It wasn't James Bond in space, it was this guy who's talking about using his own shit for fertilizer and why it would work.

I literally just finished Field of Dishonor by David Weber, part of the Honor Harrington series:

So I'll be moving on to the next book, Flag in Exile:

I've been in a big space opera mood lately, so this is totally hitting the spot. I also have Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga on the backburner. I will gladly take more suggestions for this type of space opera. I can't get enough of it, ever.

You've got two of the best there. I really like Jack McDevitt too. Engines of God or A Talent for War.

dionysus

Yaldog
I literally just finished Field of Dishonor by David Weber, part of the Honor Harrington series:

So I'll be moving on to the next book, Flag in Exile:

I've been in a big space opera mood lately, so this is totally hitting the spot. I also have Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga on the backburner. I will gladly take more suggestions for this type of space opera. I can't get enough of it, ever.

I am reading Honor Among Enemies right now. Having read most of the Vorkosigan Saga, you are doing it in the right order. Bujold is on another level. I enjoy Weber, but Bujold is one of the best sci-fi author's ever.

FANTASTIC book. Particularly if you've ever done any hiking in the Appalacians. We go to the Smokey Mountains a lot, so we related to some of it quite a bit.

I love Bill Bryson - just finished his America 1927 book, which I can't recommend enough.

Awesome to hear. I've hiked a ton in the northeast, some of which were overnights on theg the AT, so it's all really hitting home. I'll definitely have to check out some of his other stuff when I'm done with this.

Necrovex

Well, they did publish two other Inio Asano manga, albeit two volume series, already so maybe there's a chance. I wouldn't be happy about the prospects of Viz translation errors, though. :|

A man can dream. But a man shouldn't dream so much to hope there won't be any translation errors. That's like hoping Capcom spells Revelations correctly.

I have to say, I liked some elements of the book, but I never really had that good of an experience with it. Hopefully it'll treat you better.
Yeah I read it and had no idea what the hell was going on half the time.

Fer4wpG.jpg

A little more than half way through Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson.

It's about the deadliest natural disaster in U.S. history in the form of the hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900. Interesting, but gets a little heartbreaking when it gets to all the death, especially the accounts of how some children died.
Great book. If you haven't done so yet make sure to read Thunderstruck, In the Garden of Beasts, and Devil in the White City (especially Devil in the White City!). Larson has an incredible ability to make history supremely interesting.

Foundation book series by I. Asimov

It's fascinating how well do the books keep their sci-fi atmosphere. The man was a genius, 60 year old story!

I've read some of his other stuff, but never Foundation. I stumbled upon his short story I have not read since elementary school about 2 weeks ago ( http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html ) and was blown away. Foundation is supposed to be the best thing he has written, so I can't wait to finish it.
Nice. Love the Foundation books. Read through the series twice now and probably wont stop there.

Serious question, why do people love Calvin and Hobbes so much? I haven't gotten the chance to read much of it.
For me its part nostalgia (I bought so many collections at book fairs in my school) and part just admiring brilliance. You know you have something special when a 10 year old can enjoy it on one level and a 50 year old can enjoy it on another. Plus, how many comics can make you laugh and tear up?

Inspired by the Post-Apocalyptic thread I started reading this:

164154.jpg

I'm not sure what I was expecting but the first couple of chapters were slow going. After I got over that initial hump, the book definitely picked up and I'm now 1/3 of the way through it. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the story unfolds.
*high five*
I'm gonna pretend it was my recommendation that set you over the edge.

Speaking of Bill Bryson, finishing this.

so4QUo3.jpg

Absolutely wonderful book. So much happened in such a short period of time. He does go a little before and after 1927, but I just love his writing style. He highlights the absurd with such a dry wit. It also shows how different a time this was and it wasn't even all that long ago. Highly recommended.
So great.

Please, please, please if you're reading Weber's Honor series and you've not yet read Patrick O'Brian, do so. I've seen the two compared in the past, and not to be a snob, but there is no comparison. Yes, you can say that O'Brian is the successor to Hornblower, but O'Brian tops Hornblower by a mile+.

Necrovex

For me its part nostalgia (I bought so many collections at book fairs in my school) and part just admiring brilliance. You know you have something special when a 10 year old can enjoy it on one level and a 50 year old can enjoy it on another. Plus, how many comics can make you laugh and tear up?

PunPun. Though it's certainly not meant for kids unless they want a depressing-ass childhood.

Trouble

Banned
Great book. If you haven't done so yet make sure to read Thunderstruck, In the Garden of Beasts, and Devil in the White City (especially Devil in the White City!). Larson has an incredible ability to make history supremely interesting.

I've read all but Thunderstruck. Devil in the White City is one of my favorite books ever.

Woorloog

Banned
Green_Mars.jpg

Read the first part, Red Mars, and after Green Mars i'm reading the sequel, Blue Mars.
I think this is my third readthrough of the series.
One of the best, perhaps the best hard science fiction book series there is. It is not action series, and i think it is not an easy read, either style-wise nor content-wise (a lot of science stuff, though has a lot of assumptions naturally). But it is good.
Also a big inspiration for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, as noted by the game's manual.

(The series has won quite many awards, a Nebula (Red) and a pair of Hugos (Green, Blue), and others.)

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Please, please, please if you're reading Weber's Honor series and you've not yet read Patrick O'Brian, do so. I've seen the two compared in the past, and not to be a snob, but there is no comparison. Yes, you can say that O'Brian is the successor to Hornblower, but O'Brian tops Hornblower by a mile+.

Are you confusing David Weber's Honor Harrington with Horatio Hornblower? I'm not sure why anyone on earth would compare Weber to O'Brian

fakefaker

Killed off Eight Million Gods by Wen Spencer last night. Idea was cool but writing needed some work.

Now onto The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. Started reading it and it's already super weird.

7562764.jpg

kswiston

I am going to finish my current book tonight. Anyone got some sci fi recommendations in the 200-400 page range? Not looking for an epic at the moment.

Rampant Jesus

Neo Member
Gates-of-Fire.jpg

Fuck that movie 300, THIS is where shit gets real.

If you appreciate a well-written book about combat and the things that go on in the battlefield (if you liked that book All You Need Is Kill...) , read this. You will not regret it.

The men portrayed in this novel are in my mind the perfect examples of soldiers.

Woorloog

Banned
I am going to finish my current book tonight. Anyone got some sci fi recommendations in the 200-400 page range? Not looking for an epic at the moment.

Larry Niven's Ringworld perhaps? It is not that long (though i can't recall how long it is exactly) and it works fine as a standalone novel even though it does start a series.
EDIT that is, of course, assuming you have not read it.

Crumbtiny

I started (and finished) Horns last week and jumped straight into this. I'm about half way through and it's a fantastic little collection of stories. I love
LOVE
reading creepy stuff this time of year and while several of the stories here aren't ghost/creepy stories, they're so well written it's hard to care. Pop Art and Abraham's Boys are both fantastic.

51a575Ka2sL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'll definitely have to check out the Gene Wolf stuff that was posted earlier. If anyone has any recommendations for Halloween reading I'd love to hear them. I should note I'm not the biggest fan of the blood 'n guts type horror. I don't mind if that stuffs in there, I just think there's more to horror than being bloody/gross.

I started (and finished) Horns last week and jumped straight into this. I'm about half way through and it's a fantastic little collection of stories. I love
LOVE
reading creepy stuff this time of year and while several of the stories here aren't ghost/creepy stories, they're so well written it's hard to care. Pop Art and Abraham's Boys are both fantastic.

51a575Ka2sL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'll definitely have to check out the Gene Wolf stuff that was posted earlier. If anyone has any recommendations for Halloween reading I'd love to hear them. I should note I'm not the biggest fan of the blood 'n guts type horror. I don't mind if that stuffs in there, I just think there's more to horror than being bloody/gross.

Agreed on the time of year thing. Once I get into October I read creepy stuff. Gets me in the mood for Halloween.

I have NOS4A2, The Shining and The Haunting Season lined up for this year.

Finished Assassin's Apprentice last night and plunged right into Royal Assassin. It's just as good as the first so far.

I also couldn't help myself - w/ Acceptance coming out today I had to buy Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. I won't get to it immediately, but still can't wait to read it.

Masenkame

The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume Eight (2014) edited by Jonathan Strahan is a collection of short fiction published in 2013. The short stories and novellas are selected by Strahan, whose taste tends to fall on the literary side of SFF, with well-crafted prose and a focus on character, though there's plenty of plot to go around. There's also slippage between genres in a bunch of these works.

There's twenty eight stories in here, and none bad. There are favorites like Neil Gaiman and Joe Abercrombie with decent short stories. Known for his hard SF, there's Greg Egan's “Zero for Conduct”, a humanistic story about a Afghani college student studying in Iran who makes a scientific discovery. She then has to deal with logistics of manufacturing and transport between borders, as well as dealing with the locals. Yoon Ha Lee's “Effigy Nights” is a wonderful story straddling the SFF line about a military invasion on a planet whose inhabitants fight back with creepy magic.

There's way too much other good stuff in here to properly describe, like Ramez Naam's “Water”, a near future corporate hacking/AI/terrorism thriller, and Ted Chiang's look at memory and language in “The Truth of Fact, The Truth of Feeling”. K. J. Parker's “The Sun and I“ is a hilarious story of the creation of a religion, Caitlín R. Kiernan's “The Road of Needles” follows a space freighter feeling regretful of ignoring her family's pleas while terraforming technology aboard the ship goes haywire, and “The Irish Astronaut” by Val Nolan examines survivor's guilt and could well be a mainstream literary story.

The stories by M. Bennardo, Thomas Olde Heuvelt, Priya Sharma, Ian R. Macleod, Benjanun Sriduangkaew, Sofia Samatar, An Owomoyela, Karin Tidbeck, and Robert Reed are all fantastic as well. Strahan has put together a significant and diverse collection of stories this year.

Trying to fix my fantasy blindspots, I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950) by C.S. Lewis. Four siblings are sent off to a countryside manor during WWII, and discover a portal to a fantastical land under rule of a despot. Lewis writes a bunch of Christian allegory and themes into the novel, making it an interesting read beyond the surface of a children's epic war story. Though the religious tone is unsubtle at times, the novel provides some surprisingly moving and shocking moments.

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (2012) by Ben Fountain is a touching and funny novel that's centered around Bravo Squad, who are considered Iraq war heroes for a taped firefight that has blitzed the media and captured the nation. Nineteen year old Billy Lynn is part of the unit and he, along with the rest of the survivors, have been pulled out of the war for a couple weeks for a tour around the U.S., to boost morale and support for an unpopular war and administration. The tour spends its last day at a Dallas Cowboys game, where our heroes deal with all manner of indignation and revelry.

The novel spends a lot of time satirizing the war, the military, politicians as well as everything American. Billy Lynn loves his existential and sarcastic ruminations about war and death, family, overeager supporters of the troops, Hollywood, football, consumerism and greed and business, as well his own many faults. Fountain's prose is well served to this task, with long meandering sentences chock full of metaphors for everything, mostly in a conversational and informal tone.

The characterization of most folks is nicely done, though surprisingly some of the remaining members of Bravo squad aren't sketched out well. Billy does seem like a kid who's grown up quick, though some of his angst is a little heady. On the whole, Fountain packs a lot into this novel and succeeds with the majority of it.

Blindsight (2006) by Peter Watts is a hard SF novel concerning first contact with an alien species and the nature of consciousness and humanity. It's a novel that asks the unlikely question, was the evolution of consciousness even a good thing for our species? It grapples with that question through an encounter with the truly alien, something nigh incomprehensible.

Watts weaves plenty of science, psychology, and plausible extrapolations into the space journey of a group of scientists and observers trying to figure out the origin of an alien communication, as well as it its meaning. Watts' mostly good prose means there's plenty of awe and horror to go around, while still creating a net of humanity to fall back onto.

Blindsight comes highly recommended online, and I'd add to those. Watts has made it available to read online in a number of formats so check it out. A novel in the same universe was released recently as well.

---

I'm reading White Noise by Don Delillo right now, about halfway through and enjoying it.

besada

Banned
Green_Mars.jpg

Read the first part, Red Mars, and after Green Mars i'm reading the sequel, Blue Mars.
I think this is my third readthrough of the series.
One of the best, perhaps the best hard science fiction book series there is. It is not action series, and i think it is not an easy read, either style-wise nor content-wise (a lot of science stuff, though has a lot of assumptions naturally). But it is good.
Also a big inspiration for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, as noted by the game's manual.

(The series has won quite many awards, a Nebula (Red) and a pair of Hugos (Green, Blue), and others.)
I'm doing all new books this year as part of that 50/50 challenge, but next year I'm re-reading these for the umpteenth time. I love KSR. These and Years of Rice and Salt are re-read regularly.

Also, props on the Ringworld recommendation.

Stasis

After Dance, it's either Blood Song by Anthony Ryan or Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. I think I'll be going for Leviathan because I've never read anything sci-fi.

Good plan. The Expanse series is a great place to start your sci-fi journey. The series isn't over and it's even been picked up for TV. It really is fantastic. They're also great looking novels to own and display if you're at all into that =P

Mumei

A man can dream. But a man shouldn't dream so much to hope there won't be any translation errors. That's like hoping Capcom spells Revelations correctly.

I was bored at work, and look what I came across. So, two interesting observations: One, Vertical has already tried to license Asano before; they just haven't gotten it yet. So, there's a third possibility. Two, Seven Seas Manga seems to think that there's some sort of relationship the creator has with Fantagraphics; I know that creator rights are considerably more respected in the Japanese manga industry at least compared to how they have been in the American comics industry. Maybe that matters? I wish Matt Thorn had contact information so I could bug him (or her, I can't remember what pronounce he prefers). :(

All this talk of Jeff VanderMeer. No idea who he is or what his trilogy is about. Blind bought all three books.

Thanks, GAF
Obama

Mumei

You aren't helping!

No clue what either of those are, but if I don't look them up on Goodreads, I can't add them to my backlog.
/looks them up on Goodreads

City of Saints and Madmen, Shriek: An Afterword, and Finch are three books set in the same fictional universe that Jeff VanderMeer created, which centers around the city of Ambergris. There's lots of sentient / semi-sentient fungi and new weird style horror-fantasy. Annihilation / Authority are like Diet VanderMeer; they're fantastic but he tones it down a bit.

Olli128

About halfway through the last book in the Liveship Traders Trilogy by Robin Hobb. The same as the Farseer Trilogy in that it spends alot of time with not too much happening, but the characters are some of the most detailed I've ever read. I've gone from hating to caring about several characters and vice versa.

Still not sure about the overall world building, but looking forward to starting the Tawny Man trilogy and getting back to Fitz and the other characters from the Farseer trilogy.

City of Saints and Madmen, Shriek: An Afterword, and Finch are three books set in the same fictional universe that Jeff VanderMeer created, which centers around the city of Ambergris. There's lots of sentient / semi-sentient fungi and new weird style horror-fantasy. Annihilation / Authority are like Diet VanderMeer; they're fantastic but he tones it down a bit.

There's lots of sentient / semi-sentient fungi and new weird style horror-fantasy.

sentient / semi-sentient fungi.

...wow. Now I'm highly intrigued.

Are you confusing David Weber's Honor Harrington with Horatio Hornblower? I'm not sure why anyone on earth would compare Weber to O'Brian

I've had two people who were also O'Brian fans recommend Weber. I tried the first one in the series and, to be honest, threw up in my mouth a little bit. I was trying to be tactful in my other post, but you called me out. :)))

TheSoed

You've got two of the best there. I really like Jack McDevitt too. Engines of God or A Talent for War.

Awesome. I'll check those out, add them to the list. Thank you!

I am reading Honor Among Enemies right now. Having read most of the Vorkosigan Saga, you are doing it in the right order. Bujold is on another level. I enjoy Weber, but Bujold is one of the best sci-fi author's ever.

I've heard the same, actually. I'm digging that the books are fairly light reads, but they have continuity so things build upon themselves, rather than soft reset at the end of every book like other series I've read before. I'm on book five, things that occured in book two are referenced in book four, etc. Plus, you know, spaceships.

I'm excited to check out Bujold, but I'll probably leave the series until I'm either done or tired of Weber. Whichever comes first. Thanks!

Trying to fix my fantasy blindspots, I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950) by C.S. Lewis. Four siblings are sent off to a countryside manor during WWII, and discover a portal to a fantastical land under rule of a despot. Lewis writes a bunch of Christian allegory and themes into the novel, making it an interesting read beyond the surface of a children's epic war story. Though the religious tone is unsubtle at times, the novel provides some surprisingly moving and shocking moments.

If you don't mind me asking, are you religious? I'm a Christian, and I'm honestly always very interested in what non-religious folks think about C.S. Lewis's books. Personally I love him, his books were a big part of my childhood growing up and since I'm religious I always find the Christian allegories to be interesting. But at the same time I feel like I'm a bit unable to judge the works fairly, given that I'm appreciating them on a few different layers, and because I've been such a fan since I was a young squirt.

If you don't mind me asking, are you religious? I'm a Christian, and I'm honestly always very interested in what non-religious folks think about C.S. Lewis's books. Personally I love him, his books were a big part of my childhood growing up and since I'm religious I always find the Christian allegories to be interesting. But at the same time I feel like I'm a bit unable to judge the works fairly, given that I'm appreciating them on a few different layers, and because I've been such a fan since I was a young squirt.

As a corollary to that, Neil Gaiman cites them constantly as a major influence on him as a writer. I do not believe he is Christian, but appreciates them for what they are.

Dresden

89231.jpg

It's separated into three books. The first deals with Julius Caesar's death, Octavius's ascension, the war against Marc Antony. It's dry, rather dull; the epistolary format neither helps or works against it here, it's just there, a long parade of Roman characters exchanging news.

Book two, though, is dominated by Julia (Octa/Augustus's daughter). Her presence dominates the conversations of those around her, and dominating, in turn, this section of the novel itself is her diary/journal in exile. It's melancholy and frequently beautiful, and made the book worth reading.

Mumei

89231.jpg

It's separated into three books. The first deals with Julius Caesar's death, Octavius's ascension, the war against Marc Antony. It's dry, rather dull; the epistolary format neither helps or works against it here, it's just there, a long parade of Roman characters exchanging news.

Book two, though, is dominated by Julia (Octa/Augustus's daughter). Her presence dominates the conversations of those around her, and dominating, in turn, this section of the novel itself is her diary/journal in exile. It's melancholy and frequently beautiful, and made the book worth reading.

:)

Glad to see someone else reading this. I liked the first book as much as the second, but I suppose it was a bit dry.

Letep

Acceptance by Jeff Vandermeer. So far it's pretty amazing. More satisfying to me than either Annihilation or Authority. I figured that the trilogy would become really cohesive when all 3 volumes were considered, and I think that's the case. Wonderful writing, super weird, great fun.

I have the new Murakami on deck, but browsing through the August thread, I might go back to Perdido Street Station. I read about 75% of that book years ago, and lost my mass market copy. I want to pick a new one up.

I'm also reading through Samuel R. Delany's Silent Interviews. I'm a long time Delany fan, bu this read through is work related, which is pretty cool.

Non-religious but I loved the books as a kid and still think they're wonderful. I haven't reread the whole series or anything, but from the ones I've reread, the allegory is sometimes a little blatant, and yet... the world is just so charming and Lewis's storytelling so enjoyable that I don't think it matters. We're not talking Atlas Shrugged here.

That makes sense, I mean I obviously feel like they are pretty great, but I always wondered if the tone came off too preachy or evangelical to the non-religious. In addition to Gaiman I see him listed by tons of other secular authors as a big influence, so it's pretty clear to see his influence in a generation of authors, and British fantasy authors in particular.

I keep wanting to do a "The Literary Works of C.S. Lewis |OT|" but I don't know that I'd ever get the time to really do it justice. Some of his Christian non-fiction work is actually some of his best writing, I can't see non-Christians having much interest in apologetic works like "Mere Christianity" but some like "A Grief Observed" are among his best works.

Mr.Jeff

Just finished Acceptance by Jeff Vandermeer.

I'm not really sure what to think. Part of me thinks it's a mess, part of me thinks it's got an inconclusive ending and part of me thinks it ends just right.
In comparison to the first two, it's definitely something I'll have to think more on.

Masenkame

I'm not religious. I come from an Islamic background and have lived in Western countries my whole life, which has let me have several perspectives on Jesus' story and Christianity. That makes for an interesting read of the novel, as you anticipate the different pieces of the story falling into place. You wonder how Lewis will pull it off, and his description of (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
Aslan's surrender, torture, and death
was particularly moving. The allegory is naked by this point, but Lewis makes it work.

Edit: U.S. Kindle version of Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer is currently on sale for $2.99.

Blindsight (2006) by Peter Watts is a hard SF novel concerning first contact with an alien species and the nature of consciousness and humanity. It's a novel that asks the unlikely question, was the evolution of consciousness even a good thing for our species? It grapples with that question through an encounter with the truly alien, something nigh incomprehensible.

Watts weaves plenty of science, psychology, and plausible extrapolations into the space journey of a group of scientists and observers trying to figure out the origin of an alien communication, as well as it its meaning. Watts' mostly good prose means there's plenty of awe and horror to go around, while still creating a net of humanity to fall back onto.

Blindsight comes highly recommended online, and I'd add to those. Watts has made it available to read online in a number of formats so check it out. A novel in the same universe was released recently as well.

---

I'm reading White Noise by Don Delillo right now, about halfway through and enjoying it.

Wow, thank you for this. I have Blindsight on my list but had no idea it was available for free via the author. This will be the next book I read.

Also, White Noise is fantastic. One of my favorite postmodern books.

Just finished Acceptance. I loved it and thought it was a great way to end the trilogy, even if I still have a shitload of questions. But that was probably the point, VanderMeer doesn't seem like the type of author too keen on providing an answer for everything.

My co-worker saw me reading The Collector by John Fowler (BTW, great book :) ), and she recommended me to read this:

a0LPNXH.jpg

I read the back side, and I was like "Uh... okay."

Co-worker: (after seeing my uninterested face) "No, you have to read this. I can only describe this book with two words: EMOTIONAL MINDFUCK."
Me: "Okay. I take your word." (I was curious when she said "EMOTIONAL MINDFUCK".)

So I read the book. In the past 2 weeks while reading, the whole time i was like...

"HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT."

And after I finished reading the book, now I'm like....

TTPpfPI.gif

Jag

Anybody read this series? Any good?

ql4WRl5.jpg

Also, I haven't read any Joe Hill yet, what would be a good book to start with?

Just do like me and go to the library and put everything on hold and cry when it all shows up at the same time and you have to choose one from the stack.

I made it to page 30 of Annihilation last night and it's going to be an interesting story seeing where it goes. There's a quote on the back, "It's been a long time since a book filled me with this kind of palpable, wondrous disquiet, a feeling that started on the first page and that I'm not sure I've yet shaken." That's pretty apt. It starts for me when you realize you know as much about the world as the characters and you'll be learning everything at the same time they do, combined with how different the experience feels. The monitors that no one knows what they monitor, for example. It also reminds me of House of Leaves in that the
house is constantly changing, much like the landscape.

I also feel like you spoiled something in the books even based on what little I've read.

Mumei

Just do like me and go to the library and put everything on hold and cry when it all shows up at the same time and you have to choose one from the stack.

I made it to page 30 of Annihilation last night and it's going to be an interesting story seeing where it goes. There's a quote on the back, "It's been a long time since a book filled me with this kind of palpable, wondrous disquiet, a feeling that started on the first page and that I'm not sure I've yet shaken." That's pretty apt. It starts for me when you realize you know as much about the world as the characters and you'll be learning everything at the same time they do, combined with how different the experience feels. The monitors that no one knows what they monitor, for example. It also reminds me of House of Leaves in that the
house is constantly changing, much like the landscape.

I also feel like you spoiled something in the books even based on what little I've read.

I wasn't even describing the book you're reading! VanderMeer just happens to like his fungi, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom