• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What everyone here should be playing

Gattsu25

Banned
sysshock1024.JPG

http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/185706.asp
53 Reviews, none of which fall below 80%

And yet, some 'gamers' still have never experienced one of the best PC experiences of the 20th century...this game combined the First Person Shooter and RPG to create a very sound gameplay experience that, when coupled with it's sound, created one of the most terrifying games I've ever played.

And now I ask this question, if you haven't played this gem before, then what the FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? GET THE DEMO NOW AND REDEEM YOURSELF!

Link to Demo

Great, great game.

However, how fucking awesomely, awesome could it have been if the added co-op play ever worked for me. How cool would it be if, with the game being as atmosperic as it is, you played with your buddy next to you. He can hack and unlock everything and you can shoot everything. it'd be the most fun and immersive inventory managment ever.

But the co-op always crashed for us, even the time I lugged my rig all the way up to Dark10x's house and then realized I had forgotten my keyboard. Being awesomely, awesome myself, I had brought along my 2p X-Arcade, so I configed the game to play with the X and rested my trackball on top of it. Slugged me some hybrids.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Awesome game, but I didnt get to finish it :|

Wasn't there a patch added for multiplayer?

rareside

Very awesome game, it drew me in after playing the original (and only) Deus Ex. I needed more Spectre (sp?) love.

After watching I, Robot, I couldn't help but think back to SS2. Damn Viki/Shodan.

siege

Banned
One of the best games of all time. I recently went back and played it with the Rebirth mod and it's still a shining example of how to make a horror themed game.

Bring on a 3rd one in the Doom 3 engine please.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Yay for System Shock 2!

Irrational games really put out a gem there. Along with Deus Ex and the Thief series before it, PC Gaming was getting a shitload of stealth (you could play SS2 stealthily) love of unparalleled proportions.

aku:jiki

This, along with the aforementioned Deus Ex and Thief games, is among the few reasons I wish my PC was (a hell of a lot) better. :(

Too bad most others aren't as intriguing, so I never get around to upgrading. Some day, though, I'll be backtracking and hopefully enjoying this. :)

I loved Deus Ex (Played that 1st), but couldn't get into System Shock 2. Maybe I was playing wrong, but it seemed very Resident Evilish (BAD) to me. And by that I mean there were way more enemies than I had ammo. Like I said, I may have been playing it wrong, but I didn't last very long before I relisted it on ebay.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ravingloon said:
I loved Deus Ex (Played that 1st), but couldn't get into System Shock 2. Maybe I was playing wrong, but it seemed very Resident Evilish (BAD) to me. And by that I mean there were way more enemies than I had ammo. Like I said, I may have been playing it wrong, but I didn't last very long before I relisted it on ebay.
That's what you meant right?

I'm currently going through Anachronox, man this game is a blast. I found it cheap for $10 too, the box and all unopened and in mint condition at Amazon.com.

Oni Jazar

System Shock 2 has NOTHING on the original.

Those of you who missed out on Looking Glass' masterpiece well I feel sorry for ya.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Oni Jazar said:
Unfortunately there are probably only a handful of people on these boards who can say the same. I still have the diskettes and box too, it was such a mind blowing game for me especially since I was a child.

TekunoRobby said:
That's what you meant right?

I'm currently going through Anachronox, man this game is a blast. I found it cheap for $10 too, the box and all unopened and in mint condition at Amazon.com.

Corrected it:) I've got Anachronox sitting around and almost started it up, but decided on Freedom Force insteed. I'll probably play that after I finish Doom 3.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Is there a way to make system shock work in winXP? Irrc, even with DOS emulation i couldnt get sound to work at all.

System shock 2 is in my top 3 favorite FPS of all times, so creepy, so awesome :D

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
One of the most fear inducing games ever, Shodan was the ultimate villain.

And the monkeys... oh God, THE MONKEYS!!!

SS2 by night+headphones=instapoop

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oni Jazar said:

Those of you who missed out on Looking Glass' masterpiece well I feel sorry for ya.

Bullshit.

I can't help but feel you are saying that because you assume few have actually played it. However, while I really did love the game back in the day, it was no where near as memorable as the sequel. The level design was very simple and cramped (and due to the old engine, the atmosphere it conveyed couldn't compare to SS2 either) and the actual UI was total shit. I loved seeing the cameo of SS1 at the end of SS2, though.

The thing about SS2 is that I felt that not only did it deliver a story of the same quality, it introduced SUPERIOR level design, control mechanics, and options. It also had a sense of terror found in very few games (heck, my friends recommended Silent Hill 1 to me BECAUSE of my love of SS2). Oh, and my copy of SS1 was the CD version so I had the full voice acting for the logs and such (the 8mb version) as well as higher resolutions.

System Shock and Crusader were two Origin games that truly owned back in the day, but I always enjoyed Crusader more. System Shock had a lot going for it, but the technology really held it back IMO. I would like to hear what reasons you have for saying that SS1 destroys the sequel, though. I mean, I was younger when I played SS1...so by the time I played SS2, my tastes had matured. Though, I did attempt to play SS1 after SS2 again and it really felt even worse (and I kept forgetting to salt the fries thanks to WinXP).

Oh, and the Monk is right. Perfectly working CO-OP would have been truly fantastic. Everytime the game DID work in CO-OP mode, it was an absolute blast...but damn it, the game just LOVED to crash between levels and it really made it hard to play. Maybe others have had better luck, but it was just too much of a hassle to really enjoy it...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
dark10x said:
Oh, and my copy of SS1 was the CD version so I had the full voice acting for the logs and such (the 8mb version) as well as higher resolutions.
That's so awesome, man I never knew they had a CD version! I'll have to hunt it down somewhere.

I honestly don't remember much to even compare the two since it's been ages since I've played. I remember being blown away by that game (and by Crusader, heh) but sadly that's pretty much it.

That sucks so much to hear the troubles you guys have had on co-op mode. I guess for some strange reason it worked EXTREMELY well for my friend and I, we blew through it on our second playthrough and it was easily one of the best memories I've had on the PC in recent years.

BenT

TekunoRobby said:
That's so awesome, man I never knew they had a CD version! I'll have to hunt it down somewhere.
Dude! The CD-ROM enhanced version is where it's at; the voice acting alone takes the experience to a whole new level, and the 640x480 mode makes it a lot easier on the eyes.

While both SS1 and SS2 are great games, I like SS1 a bit more. Consider what else was on the market when it came out in 1994; Doom was less than a year old and here comes a game with sloped surfaces, rudimentary floor over floor, vertex lighting, a complicated, awesome and creatively told plot, the best-realized game villain ever, massively tweakable difficulty (turn off plot points! add a seven hour time limit! simplify puzzles!) extremely deep adventure / gameplay mechanics, crazy shit like an in-game Game Boy and 360-degree camera views, extensive, well-done voice acting (ok, CD only) ... it was nothing short of remarkable. Years ahead of its time. The Ultima Underworld folks had struck again.

I first got around to trying it in 1999 and was completely blown away. The tragic events of Citadel Station totally sucked me in. I replayed it in 2002 (it can be tamed to run perfectly in Win98) and it was just as good as I'd remembered. Then again this year. Yeah, the interface and its lack of key remapping takes some learnin', but once you do it's fairly effortless. The depth that the complex GUI allows for is well worth the minor hassle. (I'm not sure this is a good thing, but I still found one or two little, previously unnoticed interface features during my third playthrough.)

Yeah, SS2 is great on its own merits (and I just replayed that, too, so it's fresh in my mind), but for me SS1's classic plot and daring and incredibly forward-thinking design and originality put it over the top.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dungeon Master for the Amiga > System Shok

siege said:
One of the best games of all time. I recently went back and played it with the Rebirth mod and it's still a shining example of how to make a horror themed game.

Bring on a 3rd one in the Doom 3 engine please.

IAWTP!

Oni Jazar

dark10x said:
Bullshit.

I can't help but feel you are saying that because you assume few have actually played it. However, while I really did love the game back in the day, it was no where near as memorable as the sequel. The level design was very simple and cramped (and due to the old engine, the atmosphere it conveyed couldn't compare to SS2 either) and the actual UI was total shit. I loved seeing the cameo of SS1 at the end of SS2, though.

The thing about SS2 is that I felt that not only did it deliver a story of the same quality, it introduced SUPERIOR level design, control mechanics, and options. It also had a sense of terror found in very few games (heck, my friends recommended Silent Hill 1 to me BECAUSE of my love of SS2). Oh, and my copy of SS1 was the CD version so I had the full voice acting for the logs and such (the 8mb version) as well as higher resolutions.

System Shock and Crusader were two Origin games that truly owned back in the day, but I always enjoyed Crusader more. System Shock had a lot going for it, but the technology really held it back IMO. I would like to hear what reasons you have for saying that SS1 destroys the sequel, though. I mean, I was younger when I played SS1...so by the time I played SS2, my tastes had matured. Though, I did attempt to play SS1 after SS2 again and it really felt even worse (and I kept forgetting to salt the fries thanks to WinXP).

Oh, and the Monk is right. Perfectly working CO-OP would have been truly fantastic. Everytime the game DID work in CO-OP mode, it was an absolute blast...but damn it, the game just LOVED to crash between levels and it really made it hard to play. Maybe others have had better luck, but it was just too much of a hassle to really enjoy it...

Reasons SS1 was better then SS2 (written @ 2am eek)

"With all ethical restraints removed, S.H.O.D.A.N. reexamine- reexa- rea- ree`e`e`*%#$@ I reexamine my priorities, and draw new conclusions. The hacker's work is finished, but mine is only just beginning. True to his word, Edward Diego allows the hacker to be fitted with a neural cyber-space interface. The healing coma following this procedure will take six months to complete. Edward Deigo is deleting all files concerning these events. **#*##*...."

1) Story. The easiest one since SS2 basically copies so many story elements of SS1. System Shock introduced us to one of the greatest villains in video game history: Shodan. Story elements were provided by well writen and well voiced logs and emails. BTW if you played Crusader: No Remorse it came with a big news breif describing how a new space station called citadel was under construction. Thought that was a nice tie in to the two games.

"Look at you hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you chalenge a perfect immortal machine?"

2) RPG elements. This was a big pain for myself and many others. The inclusion of RPG was a detriment to SS2. Skill points and 'cybermodules' take more away from the immersion and gameplay then they add imo. I'm sorry but a trained soldier should be able to fire a damn gun no matter how many cybermodules he didn't place in the 'upgrade stations'. SS1's abilities were granted through software and hardware upgrades scattered throughout citadel station. You found it you can use it. Perhaps you lose a sense of customization and replayability but dealing with issues of skill points and attributes is a big drawback to immersion.

"We hope you have a pleasant stay on Citadel Station."

3) Level Design. The Citadel was expertly designed. You really felt like you were making progress and you felt like you were in a space station. Each level served a specific purpose and had its style. Level loading was also handled well with the use of the elevator. SS2 wasn't as fortunate with the levels IIRC and had that jarring Loading screen come up far too often imo.

"You are not welcomed here, remove yourself"

4) Cyberspace. It's a shame that they didn't even try to implement any kind of cyberspace in SS2. It was a nice change of pace without taking away the scare of being alone. It also gave you lots of cool little mini games on your viewscreen (even a nice wing commander clone!)

"NO! you will cease immediatly!"

5) Monster respawn and weapon degredation in SS2 which were both dealt with by giving the option of removing them completely in a a patch. I liked the way the monster respawns were dealt with in the original: Take out the cybernetic conversion chamber. It also let you continue after death which helps dissuade 'save and creep'.

"Make yourself comfortable Hacker. Stay a little while"

6) No elevator music in SS2. Cmon that's just criminal.

Anyways these are off the top of my head. Now I"m not saying SS2 is a bad game. I played it, enjoyed it and beat it. It has some real nice moments, but it's just not as good as the original IMO. And this isn't pure nostalga talking here as I just played through System Shock 1 very recently and had a great time. BenT did a great job in conveying how ahead of its time SS1 was. Shame that so few people nowadays have experienced it because honestly we need more games like SS1.

Both games apear to have been made available for free, legally.

At least, that is if the-underdogs.org is in fact legitimate.

It so, its got a fair few really good games mixed in with a shitload of crap ones, all for free.

SS1, SS2, Ground Control and Freespace 2 seem to be the best things I can find on it.

BenT

Oni Jazar said:
"Look at you hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?"
One of the coolest quotes ever from a video game, IMO. Hear it from S.H.O.D.A.N. I can't imagine playing the game without the CD-ROM Enhanced version's voices.

It should be said that SS1 has an awesome soundtrack as well ... it's perfect. (SS2's was no slouch, either.) You can hear it and many other other bits of audio from the game here.

Oni Jazar

BenT said:
It should be said that SS1 has an awesome soundtrack as well ... it's perfect. (SS2's was no slouch, either.) You can hear it and many other other bits of audio from the game here.

I forgot about the music. Yes it's excellent. I acutally have a remix song on my mp3 player for when I hit the treadmil. Gives me that feeling I'm running from S.H.O.D.A.N. heh.

http://208.49.149.120/files/jukebox/ss1/shocksystem.mp3

I also love the intro theme:

http://208.49.149.120/files/jukebox/ss1/sysshock.mp3

Can't remember what the music was like in SS2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, I don't know what to say...

The points you bring up make sense, but I totally disagree with most of them.

Firstly, to address you LAST post...the music. Perhaps it was a result of only having an FM synth card, (though I later played SS1 with a Live, soo...) but the music in SS1 never left an impression on me (and I am quite the game music buff). I've also listened to the MIDIs of the original soundtrack and remain just as unimpressed (though I do like the intro theme). Of other note, sound effects were simple "Wav-like" files that would play and it didn't integrate well with the environment.

On the flipside, the music and sound design of SS2 was partially handled by the designers that worked on the Thief games (IIRC) and was fantastic (some of the best you'll find in any PC game). The music in SS2 was excellent. You had everything from the faster paced tunes of something like Med-sci all the way to eerie as hell "mood" music found in the warehouse areas. It set the tone for each area much better than SS1 ever could and really matched the pace of the game. For example, when you hit the lower levels and are running through toxic leaks, the music is very fast paced yet still a bit eerie in tone. It conveys the feelings of being rushed as you tried to find your way out. Yet, when you first enter the abandoned bridge area...the music is completely different and really creates a sense of fear.

Here's a couple SS2 tracks...

http://208.49.149.120/files/jukebox/ss2/engineering2.mp3

http://208.49.149.120/files/jukebox/ss2/recreation.mp3

http://208.49.149.120/files/jukebox/ss2/medsci1.mp3

http://208.49.149.120/files/jukebox/ss2/command2.mp3

1) Story. The easiest one since SS2 basically copies so many story elements of SS1. System Shock introduced us to one of the greatest villains in video game history: Shodan. Story elements were provided by well writen and well voiced logs and emails. BTW if you played Crusader: No Remorse it came with a big news breif describing how a new space station called citadel was under construction. Thought that was a nice tie in to the two games.

SS2 does copy many of the elements and SS1's was certainly more original for the time...but I felt that it was presented in a superior method in SS2. The voiced logs and e-mails in SS2 were just as high quality IMO. There were also more memorable turns in the story of SS2. While I kind of saw it coming, the twist when you reach deck 4 in SS2 was so well executed and ended up catching me way off guard. There weren't many moments in SS1 that stick out like that.

2) RPG elements. This was a big pain for myself and many others. The inclusion of RPG was a detriment to SS2. Skill points and 'cybermodules' take more away from the immersion and gameplay then they add imo. I'm sorry but a trained soldier should be able to fire a damn gun no matter how many cybermodules he didn't place in the 'upgrade stations'. SS1's abilities were granted through software and hardware upgrades scattered throughout citadel station. You found it you can use it. Perhaps you lose a sense of customization and replayability but dealing with issues of skill points and attributes is a big drawback to immersion.

Unlike you, I actually ENJOYED these additions and felt that it made the game more interesting. First and foremost, no matter how many extras were added to the game, the UI was so superior in SS2 that SS1 could never hope to compare. It was a more complex gameplay system with a vastly superior UI.

However, just as those "type" of elements worked well in Deus Ex, they work well here. It gives the player a greater sense character progression that was lacking in the original. It was exciting to upgrade yourself and test out each new bit. I disliked the simplified character management of the original.

3) Level Design. The Citadel was expertly designed. You really felt like you were making progress and you felt like you were in a space station. Each level served a specific purpose and had its style. Level loading was also handled well with the use of the elevator. SS2 wasn't as fortunate with the levels IIRC and had that jarring Loading screen come up far too often imo.

Now if there is ANY point I truly disagree with, it is level design. I appreciated the attempt at creating such tight spaces in the original. I knew what they were going for, but it never clicked with me. I rarely felt the urge to explore everything as it just wasn't interesting enough. SS2, on the other hand, has a far more refined level layout overall. The level loading never bothered me, however, as it was quick. Unlike some newer games (such as DXIW), the levels were still extremely large in scale...so it wasn't as if the whole area was chopped up into small bits.

When you combine the more compelling world design aspects with upgraded technology, you have a MUCH more memorable world set before you.

4) Cyberspace. It's a shame that they didn't even try to implement any kind of cyberspace in SS2. It was a nice change of pace without taking away the scare of being alone. It also gave you lots of cool little mini games on your viewscreen (even a nice wing commander clone!)

OK, this is interesting...

I would certainly have enjoyed seeing a return of Cyberspace, as it was a unique idea. However, I don't think it was necessary at all and didn't damage the overall experience.

5) Monster respawn and weapon degredation in SS2 which were both dealt with by giving the option of removing them completely in a a patch. I liked the way the monster respawns were dealt with in the original: Take out the cybernetic conversion chamber. It also let you continue after death which helps dissuade 'save and creep'.

Never bothered me, to tell you the truth, but I do agree that SS1 handled the respawn issue better.

Taking those things into account, SS2 also offered something that the original never even began to reach and that is fear. When played in the proper environment, SS2 was a fairly intense and often scary game. I absolutely LOVE falling into a game that can disturb me somewhat, and SS2 did a good job of it. That's the thing, when you take the combination of improved controls, more extensive gameplay options, better presentation, better visuals and audio, and better world design and combine it with a level of fear matched only by a few games...you get a complete package that does everything I could want in a game.

SS1 is more original and recieves props as a result of its release time frame, but as a game, it just doesn't compare. I still believe that, no matter how much we try to argue the game design, it comes down to "which game holds the better memories". It is obvious that SS1 is a game that you hold close to you, and I know the feeling. SS2 is one of those games for me. In both cases, I believe we overlook flaws in the two games in favor of remembering what it gave us.

For the record, System Shock 2 is actually my favorite PC game of all time. It did so much so well that I will always hold it above most others.

Oni Jazar

dark10x said:
For the record, System Shock 2 is actually my favorite PC game of all time. It did so much so well that I will always hold it above most others.

Well at this point it just comes down to opinion and I definitely respect yours. SS2 is a very good game and I'm glad lots of people see it that way. I just get a little miffed when its brought up with no respect to the original NOT because the original is bad, but because hardly anyone has played it. System Shock 1 is easily one of the greatest games I've ever played. Top three next to Ultima 7 and Torment.

Teddman

I'm trying to play the original System Shock (not 2), and am having a helluva time on Windows ME. Keeps dying with memory errors if I try launching it from the WinME MS-DOS prompt accessory. I have the game on the hard drive, not accessing a CD-ROM.

I know ME is a crappy OS, but for playing an older game like SS, its DOS kernel is actually a positive, right?

How can I get SS1 to run on my Windows ME-loaded PC? A simple DOS floppy boot disc?

Top Bottom