• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

WoJ

Played the Walking Dead the final season. Overall I was pretty pleased with it. First and 3rd season were the high points for me in that series though.

Now playing the Crisis Core remaster on PS5. Never played the original.. Zack is a dork and this game is super cheesy. I love every second of it.

Foilz

Banned
Finished high on life yesterday ( PC )
Gonna start Metroid dread today (switch)
I'm also starting colisto protocol (PC)

The final boss fight usually get everyone down on their knees lol
But combine a good build with mimic tear and it can absolutely make the game easy, too easy imo. So be careful, some challenge makes the game more fun! 👍

Oohh i am already well aware of that! I upgraded my Mimic Tear to +10 as soon as i could (that's why i prioritized finishing the underground sections), and i quickly realized that it's basically a no-bullshit "Win" button. And it's not fun. The most memorable boss fights in this game, for me, are the ones in which i struggle by inevitably failing through death and carefully learning their pattern through that failure from which - eventually - i start getting into a sort of "Zone" in which i basically dance with the Boss, i actually fight him, and win. And its fucking exhilarating.

I'm also using a rock solid STR/DEX build with a +16 (+25 soon) Brass Shield(best shield in the game btw.)/Bloodhound's Fang +10. Simple. High Vigor, as much DEF as i can get through the Banished Knight Armour Set. And overall, it's tearing through the content as it is. I don't think i'll ever have as much fun with a build as with this one, because i love simplicity, stability. I hope i'm wrong, because i'm immediately starting a new, different build after this. Something nimble that uses Bloodhound's Step.

There is a limit tho. My personal limit is 15 deaths. I'll try my very best each turn, but if i can't get into that Zone in 15 deaths, then i'm pushing that fucking "Win" button, lol. That's what i love about Elden Ring more than anything FROM has ever made. You got options.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But combine a good build with mimic tear and it can absolutely make the game easy, too easy imo. So be careful, some challenge makes the game more fun! 👍
I beat that boss even without using mimic tear, in fact i never got it in my first playthrough, I would say Radagon was much tougher fight.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just started Inscryption.

I'm on my third try. Knowing who has made the game I know something's going on, but for now I'm just enjoying the deck building and gameplay. Combat is fun, matches often end quickly and when not they cn get very tense.

Can't wait to see where this leads or what happens next.

Foilz

Banned
I thought the final boss was the easiest boss in the game. The dude out in the desert killed me 8373636 times. Then I realized I could summon npcs.

Just finished the main Citizen Sleeper story, now mopping up the remaining tasks then moving on to the DLC. While absolutely not for everyone, this is an incredible game if it clicks for you. The kind of thing you're still thinking about even when you're not playing.

I hope they develop the world further - potential here. Novels, a tv show, obviously a board game etc.

Fess

Oohh i am already well aware of that! I upgraded my Mimic Tear to +10 as soon as i could (that's why i prioritized finishing the underground sections), and i quickly realized that it's basically a no-bullshit "Win" button. And it's not fun. The most memorable boss fights in this game, for me, are the ones in which i struggle by inevitably failing through death and carefully learning their pattern through that failure from which - eventually - i start getting into a sort of "Zone" in which i basically dance with the Boss, i actually fight him, and win. And its fucking exhilarating.

I'm also using a rock solid STR/DEX build with a +16 (+25 soon) Brass Shield(best shield in the game btw.)/Bloodhound's Fang +10. Simple. High Vigor, as much DEF as i can get through the Banished Knight Armour Set. And overall, it's tearing through the content as it is. I don't think i'll ever have as much fun with a build as with this one, because i love simplicity, stability. I hope i'm wrong, because i'm immediately starting a new, different build after this. Something nimble that uses Bloodhound's Step.

There is a limit tho. My personal limit is 15 deaths. I'll try my very best each turn, but if i can't get into that Zone in 15 deaths, then i'm pushing that fucking "Win" button, lol. That's what i love about Elden Ring more than anything FROM has ever made. You got options.
Yeah you clearly know your stuff, choosing to use mimic when frustration hits you hard is a nice idea. And tbh I bet you’ll still struggle later on with a melee strength build, it’s my fav (doing one now). The real OP builds come with sorcery, I decided to end a NG+ run because I could pick my nose while going through bosses lol

They’ve nerfed mimic tear though so it’s not as easy as when you see some earlier Youtube guides where they plow through bosses in like seconds, but it’s still OP at +10, needs another tweak imo.

I think I’ll avoid the mimic in my current run, I’ll try to find something else, still using my trusty ol wolves.

Fess

I beat that boss even without using mimic tear, in fact i never got it in my first playthrough, I would say Radagon was much tougher fight.

I thought the final boss was the easiest boss in the game. The dude out in the desert killed me 8373636 times. Then I realized I could summon npcs.
Lol ”dude in the desert” without summons, yeah that would be a challenge 😅

I hate the final boss with vivid passion though. Tried all kinds of guides and builds, always ends with intense frustration and me backtracking to find something that’ll help me. BUT, the camera is the real boss tbh.

5 runs is all it took to take that magnificent bastard down. I summoned the NPCs from the get go tho, maybe i shouldn't have .. still, it was a challenging encounter. And what a god damn epic spectacle.

And what a god damn hero archetype. Because if you really think about it:
Despite his brain being completely melted by the rot, he still burdened the weight of all the stars in the sky. His unyielding will to protect the world from horrifying ungodly creatures like Astel was still ingrained in his very fucking flesh and soul.

General Radahn will be my favorite boss battle i've ever encountered in a video game for the foreseeable future. Cannot wait to experience that fight again through NG+ or a fresh new game build.

Yeah you clearly know your stuff, choosing to use mimic when frustration hits you hard is a nice idea. And tbh I bet you’ll still struggle later on with a melee strength build, it’s my fav (doing one now). The real OP builds come with sorcery, I decided to end a NG+ run because I could pick my nose while going through bosses lol

They’ve nerfed mimic tear though so it’s not as easy as when you see some earlier Youtube guides where they plow through bosses in like seconds, but it’s still OP at +10, needs another tweak imo.

I think I’ll avoid the mimic in my current run, I’ll try to find something else, still using my trusty ol wolves.

Never liked sorcery builds, i always attempt something more grounded like pure melee or physically ranged in any game that allows me to do so. It's just how my brain works, can't explain it.

Like i'm 99% sure now that my next playthrough will be with a nimble, agile bow wielding character .. Checking some guides and i actually see that it's completely viable. Damn, well ok.

GametimeUK

I believe that how you feel at the time contributes to your enjoyment of a game in a massive way. Even more than I originally thought. When GoW Ascension released I was burned out on the series. I wasn't very fond of it and didn't play it for more than an hour or so. I finally played it last year after missing the classic formula and not being the biggest fan in the world of GoW2018 (although I did enjoy it). Because Ascension was new to me it just felt I was playing a newly released GoW game with the classic gameplay and it fucking loved every second of it.

I'm currently playing Skyward Sword and having similar feelings. Played it at launch, didn't spend more than a few hours with it (I enjoyed it, buy I just couldn't be bothered to continue). Now after all these years I think it's amazing. It's been so long since I've had a 3D Zelda like this I'm having a blast. So yeah, a lot of issues I had with the game really aren't applying now because I'm just so happy to be playing a 3D Zelda again (properly) for the first time. I hope we return to this style of game at some point.

WoJ

I believe that how you feel at the time contributes to your enjoyment of a game in a massive way. Even more than I originally thought. When GoW Ascension released I was burned out on the series. I wasn't very fond of it and didn't play it for more than an hour or so. I finally played it last year after missing the classic formula and not being the biggest fan in the world of GoW2018 (although I did enjoy it). Because Ascension was new to me it just felt I was playing a newly released GoW game with the classic gameplay and it fucking loved every second of it.

I'm currently playing Skyward Sword and having similar feelings. Played it at launch, didn't spend more than a few hours with it (I enjoyed it, buy I just couldn't be bothered to continue). Now after all these years I think it's amazing. It's been so long since I've had a 3D Zelda like this I'm having a blast. So yeah, a lot of issues I had with the game really aren't applying now because I'm just so happy to be playing a 3D Zelda again (properly) for the first time. I hope we return to this style of game at some point.
I think this is a good observation. Many times I have tried to play certain games and been burned out in a genre or style of game and it just doesn't click. Then coming back to it I really enjoyed something.

Labadal

I started up Romacing SaGa 2, today. I just got through the first generation. Good stuff. I also intend to beat Romancing SaGa 3, Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, and SaGa Frontier in 2023.

stn

I managed to beat the campaign in Halo Infinite (XSX). I found the missions to be boring and the boss fights were sooooo poorly designed and quite frustrating. Anyway, the multiplayer is still amazing. Next up I'm going to finish NFS Unbound (XSX), I'm close to beating week 3/4. After that, I'll probably go back to Bayonetta 3 (Switch).

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I started up Romacing SaGa 2, today. I just got through the first generation. Good stuff. I also intend to beat Romancing SaGa 3, Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, and SaGa Frontier in 2023.
Where do you plan to play those? Would like to know how's the PC version. Also... how are those games? Never played any of them but I'm willing to change that.

Labadal

Where do you plan to play those? Would like to know how's the PC version. Also... how are those games? Never played any of them but I'm willing to change that.
I have them on PC (Steam). I have played RS2 and RS3 on PC. People have complained about input lag for RS2, and I think that it is running at 30FPS. Personally, I haven't had an issue with either game, and am having a blast. Supposedly, console versions have no such input lag issues.

The series isn't very newcomer friendly, but if you have some JRPGs under your belt, you'll be fine. Some mechanics can be obtuse, like not grinding too much and some other things. The games are fairly open ended, and it can be easy to miss some content. You don't have "levels". Characters gain HP/weapon proficiency randomly after fights. New abilities"spells are "sparked", which means that your characters learn by doing.
There's more, but this is justxa quick summary.

The series can be hit or miss, while also having entries that differ in structure. For example, in Romancing SaGa 2, you play over several generations, so you will see characters pass away, and a new generation begin, while inheriting skills from your previous character. Romancing SaGa 3 is structured more like a "regular" JRPG. Both share basically the same combat system, but differ in structure.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Playing Strange Horticulture. This is the ultimate lazy Sunday morning game. Its the chillest of all chill games. You basically just try and identify plants by referencing your book for small clues. Its relaxing and fun though, somehow. Its for people that fetishize font, text, letters, and carefully folding old paper and putting it in tiny drawers. Theres also some occult murder mystery stuff brewing in the background but it hasn't fully kicked off yet.

TintoConCasera

I have them on PC (Steam). I have played RS2 and RS3 on PC. People have complained about input lag for RS2, and I think that it is running at 30FPS. Personally, I haven't had an issue with either game, and am having a blast. Supposedly, console versions have no such input lag issues.

The series isn't very newcomer friendly, but if you have some JRPGs under your belt, you'll be fine. Some mechanics can be obtuse, like not grinding too much and some other things. The games are fairly open ended, and it can be easy to miss some content. You don't have "levels". Characters gain HP/weapon proficiency randomly after fights. New abilities"spells are "sparked", which means that your characters learn by doing.
There's more, but this is justxa quick summary.

The series can be hit or miss, while also having entries that differ in structure. For example, in Romancing SaGa 2, you play over several generations, so you will see characters pass away, and a new generation begin, while inheriting skills from your previous character. Romancing SaGa 3 is structured more like a "regular" JRPG. Both share basically the same combat system, but differ in structure.
Sounds great, pretty original compared with the usual JRPG fare. I like seeing time and generations go in those kinda games, loved that in Dragon Quest V.

How's SaGa Frontier? That's the one I was planning to start with.

bender

What time is it?
-Returnal: My buddy picked up a copy over the holidays and we've been playing co-op. You can tell it was shoehorned onto the final product as it is a little janky. I think I lost my save file or at least didn't have any of my upgrades from beating the game back when it launched so I went ahead and beat the game solo as well. I also got the true ending this morning. I still have a lot of complaints about how the game is structured even if the action is fun and story is interesting.
-No More Heroes/NMH2: Finished No More Heroes and there is a good game trapped inside it as the beam katana is satisfying and a lot of the bosses are fun, but almost everything else drags the game down. I got a few bosses into the sequel but I think I've had my fill.
-High On Life: Was using this for AMEM and I'm glad I'm done. The humor didn't click with me at all. Bosses are fun and the last two guns are great. Everything else is a slog.
-Brotato: Pumped a dozen or so hours into it. Runs great on the Deck. Starting to get that been there, done that feeling. Can't complain for $4 though.

Not sure what to start next. Maybe New Vegas.

Labadal

Sounds great, pretty original compared with the usual JRPG fare. I like seeing time and generations go in those kinda games, loved that in Dragon Quest V.

How's SaGa Frontier? That's the one I was planning to start with.
You pick one of several characters to begin with. Each character has their own scenario. Each scenario give some tidbits about the bigger picture. Game is focused on quests and recruiting characters. Either SaGa Frontier or Romancing SaGa 3 would me my advaice as starter games for a newcomer to the series.

Finished The Witcher 3's main story. I first played the game at launch and got bored around Novigrad. Started it a second time and got bored during Novigrad. Third time is a charm - Not only beat it but I think it'd comfortably fit into my favourite games of all time. Started the Hearts of Stone DLC and I'm really enjoying the story, although I didn't expect the difficulty jump!

Also playing through Calisto Protocol. The game would be better with a map and a larger inventory.
My mind is blown. Novigrad feels like home to me. I wish it had 100% more quests based in it.

Mr Hyde

Finished Jak and Daxter the precursor legacy. It was okay. Some parts were frustrating due to camera being shit. Early 3D platformers usually had this issue. It didn't overstay its welcome which is a good thing. Will probably not continue with Jak 2 & 3.

Mr Hyde

Shin megami tensei 5

I played a couple of smt games on PS2 back in the day and enjoyed them from what I can remember. However, I stopped following the franchise after that, and I gave up on Persona as well. So today, I wanted to give it a try with SMT 5 on Switch and so far it's really good. Huge jump in quality from what I remember but it should be expected since it's like 3 generations ago. Excited to continue with this one. It's promising.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Just beat Signalis. Game is pretty close to a masterpiece. A few puzzles were slightly clunky but otherwise one of my favorite survival horror games I've ever played.

I think I got the bad ending. But I apparently played wayyyyyy too hardcore. I finished the game without even using like 4 of the strongest weapons because I was saving all my items as much as possible lol.

Its a strong 9/10. Really a unique vibe for survival horror I've never seen, as far as the art and story. Like Event Horizon meets Evangelion. Couldn't put it down.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Just finished Dangaronpa 2 last night

Overall a great game. I still prefer the first, but the ending of the second game caught me by surprise.

I'll be starting the third game later tonight

While i continued my journey through Elden Ring, i was starting to have this giddish feeling that i may have an overpowered build on a overleveled character, that obviously i was having a shit ton of fun with. So Bloodhound's Fang is amazing with a pure Quality Build, that thing is created for that. Melee build with the Bloodflame Blade incantation. I devastated the Volcano Manor, and Rykard, while a spectacle, was a joke. One run is all it took. Then off i went to Leyndell. I danced around with Morgott for a little while, it was fun. To bad he didn't predict how fucking broken Bleed & Bloodhound's Fang's Skill is. Well damn, one run :messenger_smirking:

Finished some lose ends with the Divine Towers, and here's the thing. So i arrived at the Mountaintop of the Giants, right? And there were these ruins next to a Grace point. I went there, and there was this Zamor Warrior walking around; The Spirit Summon thing popped up and i was like "huh? Nah, i can take it no problem". I danced a little with Zamor, had fun. Ok, no problem. Explored some more of those ruins. And there was another Zamor Warrior in the vicinity. And another. I think i spotted 5, maybe? Ok, what? Hm, alright, let's go. Insta death as more of Zamor came out outta nowhere. What the fuuuuck.

So i think FROM just violently banged my head on a brick wall of difficulty to wake me up out of the illusion of being overpowered. I gotta overcome this area, haha.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Finished Tinykin on Xbox on New Year's Day.

Finished A Short Hike on Switch on the 2nd.

Finished Portal on Switch yesterday.

Started the year strong, I don't normally back to back games like that. All excellent.

While i continued my journey through Elden Ring, i was starting to have this giddish feeling that i may have an overpowered build on a overleveled character, that obviously i was having a shit ton of fun with. So Bloodhound's Fang is amazing with a pure Quality Build, that thing is created for that. Melee build with the Bloodflame Blade incantation. I devastated the Volcano Manor, and Rykard, while a spectacle, was a joke. One run is all it took. Then off i went to Leyndell. I danced around with Morgott for a little while, it was fun. To bad he didn't predict how fucking broken Bleed & Bloodhound's Fang's Skill is. Well damn, one run :messenger_smirking:

Finished some lose ends with the Divine Towers, and here's the thing. So i arrived at the Mountaintop of the Giants, right? And there were these ruins next to a Grace point. I went there, and there was this Zamor Warrior walking around; The Spirit Summon thing popped up and i was like "huh? Nah, i can take it no problem". I danced a little with Zamor, had fun. Ok, no problem. Explored some more of those ruins. And there was another Zamor Warrior in the vicinity. And another. I think i spotted 5, maybe? Ok, what? Hm, alright, let's go. Insta death as more of Zamor came out outta nowhere. What the fuuuuck.

So i think FROM just violently banged my head on a brick wall of difficulty to wake me up out of the illusion of being overpowered. I gotta overcome this area, haha.
They’re kinda freaks. Most enemies in that area aren’t as bad as they are. Run past them and get the bell bearing that’s underground in that area.

Labolas

River City Girls 2 (PC) - Intially was turned off by it being 30 fps and characters moving weirdly but the devs released a beta that runs 60 fps. Making the game way enjoyable.
It shows the devs are willing to fix legit complaints about their game.

Spark the Jester 3 - Honestly this is up there with some of the best games that came out in 2022. It blows any 3d Sonic game out of the water imo. This takes what 3d Sonic games and actually made them fun as Freedom Planet did with the 2d Sonic games, which btw I have to play Freedom Planet 2. If you like the Sonic Adventure games then you'll love this.

Top Bottom