• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Mr Hyde

Finished chapter 1 in RE4. Very faithful remake so far. Love the new look of the village. I also appreciate Capcom putting more focus initially on the creepy cult. The whole village section feels very Lovecraftian with possessed villagers chasing after you. Only downside now is the audio seems busted when I talk to Hunnigan. Leon's dialogue is fine but hers is muted. Kinda annoying and immersion breaking.

Mr Hyde

RE4 is incredible so far. It's like being back in 2005 only with state of the art graphics. There are so many moments I look forward too.

1. When Leon meets Ada for the first time.

2. Discovering the castle and the fight up to the entrance.

3. Castellan making his iconic entrance.

Those are the top three right now.

Pharaoh: A New Ear
Resident Evil 4 Remake

D6PfW.jpg

Holy shit, two of my all time favourites are Remasters/Remakes at the same time.

Loving it.

Zuzu

Lately I've been going through Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Final Fantasy 7 (the original), Star Ocean: The Divine Force & Final Fantasy 12.

Mr Hyde

Holy shit, two of my all time favourites are Remasters/Remakes at the same time.

Loving it.

For me it's RE4, FF 7 Intergrade, Dead Space and Demon's Souls. And they also came out during the same gen. It's crazy that you get these top quality remakes now of your favorite games. Nostalgia overload.

Finished chapter 1 in RE4. Very faithful remake so far. Love the new look of the village. I also appreciate Capcom putting more focus initially on the creepy cult. The whole village section feels very Lovecraftian with possessed villagers chasing after you. Only downside now is the audio seems busted when I talk to Hunnigan. Leon's dialogue is fine but hers is muted. Kinda annoying and immersion breaking.
Have your controller speaker on PS5 and Hunnigan talks through controller

Played Chapter 1 and a little bit of Chapter 2 in Resident Evil 4 Remake. Excellent game, and like the OG, it only gets better, I assume, excited to see what surprises they have

Mr Hyde

Yeah I had to go to controller settings and turn on speaker, like you, I was confused at first with Hunnigan but it looks like she exclusively talks through the controller on PS5

Strange, that it isn't turned on by default. But thanks for the tip 🙏 I also got omitted VA when Lord Saddler talked in a brief cut scene. I was thinking it was because I played the game one day early, and the day 1 patch hadn't been installed.

Strange, that it isn't turned on by default. But thanks for the tip 🙏 I also got omitted VA when Lord Saddler talked in a brief cut scene. I was thinking it was because I played the game one day early, and the day 1 patch hadn't been installed.
Same, I thought it was a patch issue, seems like Capcom is using the Duelsense to it's full capability. I only discovered that issue when I manually turn on my controller speakers 🤷🤷🤷

Mr Hyde

Resident Evil 4 has been a doozy so far. Very faithful remake, art direction is stellar with the atmosphere being second to none. The parts where Capcom have added to story are good and fleshes out much of what felt rushed in the original. This game is so damn good. Knowing how much I love Resi 4 I will be playing this remake on and off just as much as I've played the original.

Hestar69

It's my favorite JRPG. Word of warning though: If you don't plan on playing it twice, you really need to read a FAQ to prepare you to understand the game's systems so you don't screw yourself out of the best ending (Captain K's has been the gold standard afaik).

Yeah, Gattuso's famously borked. My advice to any new player would be to not feel bad about cranking down the difficulty to get past him. He's not hard by design; the developers literally forgot to fix his difficulty from the demo. No other boss is like this, just to assuage your worries.
will do thanks! I for sure will play it later in the year and will use a guide for the game

Finally have some free time to play Metroid Prime Remastered. God this game is so fucking good, and the updated controls are perfect. Just got the super missile one session in, all the best feels come rushing back. This game has aged like fine wine.

stn

Played TLOU Part 1 (PS5) last night, it is amazing. I'm about 40% through. Tonight I'll continue it and start RE4 (XSX).

In chapter 4 of RE4R right now. I cannot believe that Capcom managed to do the original justice like this. RE4 is my favourite and most played game of all time and I’m blown away by the Remake. I… cannot… believe… it.

Ulysses 31

Eternal Darkness via Wii Homebrew. Backed up my disc and there's settings to deblur games considerably. Wii N64 VC games also look shockingly better vs an unmodded N64 so I might go back to some of those games too!

norm9

Finished the men's portion of MyRise on WWE 2k23. Surprisingly funny and there were a few curveballs. Will probably make some randomized CAWs and start my own e-fed in Universe Mode soon.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Finishing Cereza and the Lost Demon today I think. Its a full blown masterpiece. Must buy for fans of Bayonetta, Okami, innovative games. Will write up my final impressions when I'm done. Its definitely a full length game. No wonder Bayonetta 3 took a while.

Mr Hyde

Finishing Cereza and the Lost Demon today I think. Its a full blown masterpiece. Must buy for fans of Bayonetta, Okami, innovative games. Will write up my final impressions when I'm done. Its definitely a full length game. No wonder Bayonetta 3 took a while.

I'm not really into Bayonetta, but you mention Okami, which I love, so what are the similarities? Is it more of a "Zelda" than character action that Bayonetta is famous for? More adventure? I look at the trailer for Cereza and I'm not really feeling it, despite it looking way more interesting than anything the main franchise has to offer.

Duchess

Closing in on the platinum for GOW:R. After that, I'll probably try out Subnautica, then The Ascent, then Chained Echoes.

I like to keep a list of what I'll be playing next :)

Closing in on the platinum for GOW:R. After that, I'll probably try out Subnautica, then The Ascent, then Chained Echoes.

I like to keep a list of what I'll be playing next :)

Hmm thanks for reminding me of The Ascent. I played a bunch of it at release but it was an absolute mess tech wise. I think I had a game breaking bug. I know I didn't finish it.

I should check it out again if that stuff has all been ironed out.

Punished Miku

I'm not really into Bayonetta, but you mention Okami, which I love, so what are the similarities? Is it more of a "Zelda" than character action that Bayonetta is famous for? More adventure? I look at the trailer for Cereza and I'm not really feeling it, despite it looking way more interesting than anything the main franchise has to offer.
Its not like Bayonetta at all. The similarity to Okami is two-fold:
1) its similar slightly to the feel of a Zelda game, but not exactly. More simplistic and linear level design than that but you can back track for items and chests. It has some light puzzles and challenges that feel almost like BotW shrines, though many are just simple combat challenges.
2) just pure artistry and visual style is on par with what they accomplished with Okami. Its literally one of the best art styles ever. Like a watercolor painting come to life with lots of unique visual and artistic tricks to achieve an interesting look.

Gameplay is like Brothers meets Wonderful 101 or something. You get some of the skills you may expect in a platinum game like stances, counter, light combos. But combat isn't the focus.

Its really not like much else out there but you can see inspiration from many places. OST is also phenomenal

Last edited:

Killer8

Yakuza Ishin on PS5. Loving the setting, the gun combat (especially with that jazzy combat music) and visually the remastering looks subtly really beautiful.

Tactics Ogre Reborn on Switch - had COVID and been playing this in bed in the evenings. Game just oozes quality in the writing, presentation and gameplay depth. Another Matsuno masterpiece.

Resident Evil 4 (original) on PC - replaying it with the HD mod for the first time before I dive into the remake. Easily as good as I remember and still a top 3 game of all time.

Gran Turismo 7 with PSVR2 - fantastic VR experience, maybe the most immersive I've ever had. Already beat the game last year so now working on everything added in the updates since then. I am thinking long term I will go for a full car collection.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Returnal PC: Very fun game, but I don’t think it’s one I want to play for extended periods of time.

Greedfall: Character models are downright hideous. and the jank is dreadful - but there’s a pretty fun game buried in here

Spiderman Remastered: Can’t bring myself to uninstall this yet. The Amazing Fantasy Suit is just too damn awesome. So I’m cleaning up little side activities.

That being said I’m tempted to get back into Yakuza games and maybe revisit Assassin’s Creed Valhalla or Death Stranding. Something in the backlog basically.

Mr Hyde

Its not like Bayonetta at all. The similarity to Okami is two-fold:
1) its similar slightly to the feel of a Zelda game, but not exactly. More simplistic and linear level design than that but you can back track for items and chests. It has some light puzzles and challenges that feel almost like BotW shrines, though many are just simple combat challenges.
2) just pure artistry and visual style is on par with what they accomplished with Okami. Its literally one of the best art styles ever. Like a watercolor painting come to life with lots of unique visual and artistic tricks to achieve an interesting look.

Gameplay is like Brothers meets Wonderful 101 or something. You get some of the skills you may expect in a platinum game like stances, counter, light combos. But combat isn't the focus.

Its really not like much else out there but you can see inspiration from many places. OST is also phenomenal

You've peaked my interest. Was on the fence because it was difficult to see what the game actually was about, but the similarities with Okami and Zelda, and the beautiful artstyle makes me wanna check it out. It sounds more my thing than OG Bayonetta. And I like Platinum and want to support them (when they're not lost in the woods like Babylon Falls).

Punished Miku

Well I'm on Cereza last boss and the game fully achieved 10/10 status for me. Zero doubt in mind now. Holyyyyyy fuck. One of the best bosses of the year! I had no idea.

I fought that score this whole time and they won. Gotta give it the full points.

Danjin44 Danjin44 definitely gives some major Bayonetta 3 story bits too. Just a heads up.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Arrived at the infamous island in RE4. I've never had issue with this last part, though I know it's heavily criticized for having too much action. But I always felt it was kinda boring and drab environment and that's one thing Capcom has rectified with the remake. It looks stunning, with much improved lighting, water and rain effects making it a much more enjoyable area. And the graphics is actually making the game much scarier, since the monsters and all the gory effects are so detailed and well made. The original had a campy vibe that never really elicited much fear, outside of few key moments, but the remake is so much darker and gloomy, with more intelligent enemies (although AI is pretty dumb still) and more terrifying bosses. It makes for a drastic change in tone, but imo, all for the better.

daveonezero

Banned
Been switching off and on of Xenoblade DE for a whole. I think I’ve got 80 hours and only chapter 13z. So much to unlock. And I really enjoy the combat.

Really want to finish it so I can move onto 2 and 3 but that might take me years to finish those.

and then picked up Neir Automata recently on sale and that’s a fun time. I like it more than what I played of Bayonetta. I might have to pick up Astral Chain.

I feel a bit dirty because of the Waifus but the games are great and can see why they are classics in their own way.

After that I’ll probably just play BoTW 2 and clean up the backlog of so many big Switch games I have.

Last edited:

Roberts

Waiting a few years for my daughter to grow up enough so that she can actually play It Takes Two without me helping her all the time. I guess we are halfway through with it and having tons of fun. We also played a bit of TMNT game so that I could get multiplayer achievements.

Started Ni No Kuni 2. I kind of miss the combat and the overall mood of the first game, but it is fine. Not sure I have it in me to complete the whole game. How long is it?

Played Resident Evil 4 last night. Really, really good and looks fantastic on XSX.

Resident Evil 4 Remake inspired me to replay from the beginning, the OG RE4 for the Gamecube and DMC1 on the PS2....maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya are legends! Those games, the OG RE4 and the DMC1, are chefs kisses of gaming! They do different things with their gameplay, worldviews, etc. but they still have alot in common considering they were built off eachother, DMC1 being the earliest version of RE4. Both games are really atmospheric, yet colorful and inspire the imagination. The gameplays of each are brilliant. Both games feel handmade and have soul. The stories, characters, etc. are also extremely memorable as well

Killer8

Arrived at the infamous island in RE4. I've never had issue with this last part, though I know it's heavily criticized for having too much action. But I always felt it was kinda boring and drab environment and that's one thing Capcom has rectified with the remake. It looks stunning, with much improved lighting, water and rain effects making it a much more enjoyable area. And the graphics is actually making the game much scarier, since the monsters and all the gory effects are so detailed and well made. The original had a campy vibe that never really elicited much fear, outside of few key moments, but the remake is so much darker and gloomy, with more intelligent enemies (although AI is pretty dumb still) and more terrifying bosses. It makes for a drastic change in tone, but imo, all for the better.
The island is the one area where the remake unquestionably had to improve so I'm glad they pulled it off.

ironmang

Finished Atomic Heart. Liked the storyline despite the mostly awful dialogue.

The testing grounds were a highlight with some of the most creative puzzles I've ever seen in a game. It's a shame that aspect is kind of hidden and sometimes a hassle to unlock because many people probably give up and just go back to the main story.

Mundfish on my radar and can't wait to see what they come up with next. They're some good script writing and technical polish away from a GOTY contender.

Fess

Played some Cadaver:

L4oKVMV.jpg

Was ages since I played this, accidently drank poison and nearly died then made my way past the pit door where you use the rope and walked against some water and insta-died. No auto save here. Back to the beginning.

Btw, I tweaked my PC setup and got my old real Amiga plugged into the same screen, computer sitting on a pull out shelf underneath the desk, audio connected to studio monitors - Perfection 👌

eorM9s9.jpg

Duchess

Played some Cadaver:

L4oKVMV.jpg

Was ages since I played this, accidently drank poison and nearly died then made my way past the pit door where you use the rope and walked against some water and insta-died. No auto save here. Back to the beginning.

Btw, I tweaked my PC setup and got my old real Amiga plugged into the same screen, computer sitting on a pull out shelf underneath the desk, audio connected to studio monitors - Perfection 👌

eorM9s9.jpg
Show off.

(cool setup!)

Fess

Show off.

(cool setup!)
Maybe just a lil bit heh, but Commodore stuff is worth showing off! 🙂
I lost a whole room of retro stuff when the room was needed for one of the kids so I’m really glad I finally got the important stuff back and up and running. Still need to connect the C64 that is hidden at the right on the shelf though.

stn

Curious to hear from you how it stacks up to the TV show if you've seen that. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Not sure. I'm actually trying to beat the games first so that I can watch the show without having the games spoiled. Definitely gonna start TLOU2 after I beat the first one.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I have a few indies I’ve not played on Switch yet (owned for years).

30 mins in to Golf Story, it’s a very cute and easy going game. Can see myself finishing it.

The other games are Cuphead, Celeste, Bastion, Transistor, Snake Pass, Steam World Dig, Rogue Legacy and Crypt of the Necrodancer. Probs play Snake Pass next.

Last edited:
I have a few indies I’ve not played on Switch yet (owned for years).

30 mins in to Golf Story, it’s a very cute and easy going game. Can see myself finishing it.

The other games are Cuphead, Celeste, Bastion, Transistor, Snake Pass, Steam World Dig, Rogue Legacy and Crypt of the Necrodancer. Probs play Snake Pass next.

A stellar list but Transistor is the standout for me.

Top Bottom