• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Shifty1897

I just rolled credits on Chained Echoes after 55 hours, and I gotta say, this game is extraordinary. For a new indie dev to get so many things right on the first try is just incredible. Is it perfect? No, the crystal crafting system is overly complicated, some of the art assets are inconsistent in quality, the game can stutter a little on Switch, and one side quest abruptly ends with a very disappointing cut to text on screen rather than showing what should have been an epic fight and cutscene.
But these complaints only stick out because the rest of the game is so freaking outstanding. I'm going to go back and probably do the endgame content, maybe 100% it, as I'm already pretty close, with most of the reward board filled out and all secret characters have been recruited.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I just rolled credits on Chained Echoes after 55 hours, and I gotta say, this game is extraordinary. For a new indie dev to get so many things right on the first try is just incredible. Is it perfect? No, the crystal crafting system is overly complicated, some of the art assets are inconsistent in quality, the game can stutter a little on Switch, and one side quest abruptly ends with a very disappointing cut to text on screen rather than showing what should have been an epic fight and cutscene.
But these complaints only stick out because the rest of the game is so freaking outstanding. I'm going to go back and probably do the endgame content, maybe 100% it, as I'm already pretty close, with most of the reward board filled out and all secret characters have been recruited.

How's the story and characters? Thinking of giving this game a try

Shifty1897

How's the story and characters? Thinking of giving this game a try
So some people said they felt the story was full of JRPG tropes, and maybe at a 10,000 foot level, I would agree with them. Plot points from FF6, FF7, Chrono Trigger, Skies of Arcadia, and Xenogears are all here. But, if you're gonna pull inspiration from somewhere, pulling it from five of the best JRPGs ever made definitely is a good place to do it. I never felt like I knew where the story was headed, and the overall plot was satisfying and most loose ends are tied up, with a few possibly paving the way for a future sequel.

The game really takes its time revealing backstories for characters, it can take some time before you get attached to some of them.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Been playing Destiny 2 Lightfall, its way better than my initial impressions of it after spending more time in it. The new mod system is limiting but I'm not a hardcore build crafter in the first place so thats fine. The new destination Neomuna is better than previous destinations, enemy density is good, secrets here and there. Strand is a really fun subclass to play around with, much better than Stasis.

Just installed the latest iteration of BF2042, and I think its better than MW2. Its what I wanted MW2 to be. Think I'll spend more time in BF2042, while waiting MW2 to add more maps to 6v6 and Invasion.

Also been playing Minecraft Dungeons with my son, he's enjoying it a lot and I think it's a pretty fun game.

I've been ill and games were making me feel sick so I've only played a little bit. I got the Shura ending on Sekiro last night for the first time, which means I've now cleared every boss. Unfinished business with that game: complete.

I'll most likely focus on Persona 4 for now. I am tempted by Blade of Darkness though. And I bought Disco Elysium over the weekend on sale so that's hanging around too... a pleasant problem to mull over at work today.

Mr Hyde

Finished Resident Evil 4. Outstanding remake. Easily one of Capcoms finest work, better than RE2 and dare I say, Resident Evil 1. RE4 is very faithful to the original while expanding on certain story beats, fleshing out characters in the best possible way. The graphics were spectacular, with every environment improved with an insane attention to detail. Every area felt true to the original, with the village and the Castle being the most impressive and fun to play. The parry mechanic was a great addition to the combat and I hope it follows along with the franchise in future installments. Capcom has treated RE4 with respect and careful thought, and this remake reinforces the legendary status of the original, proving that the game is indeed one of the best ever made.

Last edited:
Trying my best to get through Hogwarts Legacy. I'm focusing more on the story now. I done the 3rd trial where you fight the death dudes (don't want to spoil it too much. It surprised me). It's dragged on long enough. Not that I think the game is bad... I'm just very slow and was getting caught up in side quest stuff lol.

My Switch "died" so I need to buy a new one. So Persona 3 Portable is on hold for now until I get one. I've decided I won't buy a new one until I finish Hogwarts lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingfish

I'm playing Observation, by No Code, a really interesting narrative sci-fi thriller.
You play as S.A.M., the AI aboard the International Space Station.
Can't wait to see what they do with Silent Hill: Townfall.

sedg87

Resident Evil 4 Remake
Loved it. Echo what Mr. Hyde said. The original is one of my favourite games of all time, but this is even better. Started new game+ and I've just arrived at the castle.

Shenmue
Been playing lots of horror games and so I've decided to freshen things up and try something completely different. The presentation is a little rough and the quality of the audio is a little poor, but the actual gameplay is fantastic.

Duchess

Tried Subnautica. The lack of a tutorial really put me off the game. Talk about being plunged straight into the deep end (ha ha).

Now playing The Ascent. An hour in, but seems decent enough. It's sadly a member of the Tiny Text Club* on PS5, but I'll do my best to get on.

(* - text is so small its basically unreadable when sitting a reasonable distance from a TV)

Labolas

This game is too sick.
AIwzLvy.gif

Ultra Donny

Did a new character in Elden Ring and have started that again. I'm ditching my warrior after 60 hours and have started an astrologer. I'm gonna play through the game this time as its suits my playstyle more. It's a lot easier now.

stn

I'm gonna aim to beat The Last Of Us: Part 1 (PS5) tonight and then go for the platinum. After that, I will either start The Last Of Us 2 (PS4) or continue Resident Evil 4 (XSX).

ReBurn

Gold Member
FFX Remastered on PS+. I've been playing Final Fantasy games to see if I want to jump into FFXVI later this year.

badblue

The D4 beta left me wanting more so I've started up another game of Grim Dawn.

So far I've run 3 characters up to level 20 (because I'm not sure what class I feel like playing) and I'm currently on #4 which is a Occultist Necromancer. Might stick with this one as everything is dying a hell of a lot faster then any of the other 3 and I've gotten better loot.

Hunnybun

Thinking about starting Resident Evil. Never played them before but got 1, 2, and 3 during a Steam sale. They seem to be short games which is what I need right now so I'll play the Resident Evil (1) remastered on Steam.

I was thinking about doing that. Just finished HFW and been looking for something to fill the gap to Burning Shores. I've got 7 and 8 but never got round to playing them. Actually I'm a bit scared at the prospect. And obviously I want to play 4 now that's come out.

I can't face playing the first one so I was going to start with 2, but am waiting for a sale. And I'm hoping they fix the IQ issue in 4 tbh. So it's going to have to wait a while I guess.

So I was a bit stuck really. I'm not paying £70 for Ragnarok or Dead Space, so they're waiting on a sale. In the end I checked out the game catalogue on PS+ and there was just so much on there I've been meaning to get round to - FF7, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding - that it seemed too good to pass up. I think I'll start with FF7.

Got The Longest Journey working on the steamdeck. Finally gonna start a full playthrough of this classic game. Love the 2nd and 3rd games of the trilogy but skipped the first.
Remote play and console gaming for Re4remake, double dip the ps5 version just cause chiaki4deck is really good for my setup.

marcincz

Got The Longest Journey working on the steamdeck. Finally gonna start a full playthrough of this classic game. Love the 2nd and 3rd games of the trilogy but skipped the first.
Remote play and console gaming for Re4remake, double dip the ps5 version just cause chiaki4deck is really good for my setup.
TLJ is great. The best p&c adventure I've ever played.

Kev Kev

Platinumed Kingdom Hearts, had a lot of fun and it was worth the time invested.

Started playing Chain of Memories and gave up after a dozen hours. It kind of works (sometimes) but mostly is repetitive, frustrating and just poorly designed. I looked up a story synopsis and moved on to KH2. I'm a few hours in and having a lot of fun so far. I remember not liking this game much the first time around so I don't expect it to be as good as my KH1 run I just did, but hopefully it will scratch the itch I've been having for RPG's lately.

I platinumed The Ascent. Not a great game. Would have been more tolerable if not for the terrible loading screens. Not sure why that was the case on PS5, while games like Resident Evil 4 have near zero loading times.

Hoddi

I'm going through the original God of War games. I've already finished the first four and currently going through GoW3 and I'm having an absolute blast with them.

I had kinda forgotten how unapologetically violent they are and it honestly feels like fresh air compared with many games nowadays. I liked GoW 2018 well enough (still haven't played Ragnarok) but it's a very different game. I won't say better/worse but I'm really liking these older games now.

Last edited:

Paltheos

On a friend's recommendation (well, many, since he's hyped this for years), I DLed and booted up DMC: Devil May Cry, the 2013 reboot, last night. I'd heard allot of bad things about this game but... it's actually really good. Combat is smooth, the levels have a visual flair to them, the story and characters walk a careful tightrope of campy and serious. The only troubles I've had were a couple crashed on bootup (I've learned to let everything play out before alt+tabbing) and getting a little dizzy from the cinematographer's baffling decision to force the camera to shake even in calm situations of people just walking and talking. Element-coded enemies are a little lame too but they haven't broken the experience for me.

I thought people were up in arms over the change in aesthetic for the reboot (and to be fair I cheated and equipped the classic Dante costume) but everything's clicking for me, for the most part. I'd thought most people just hadn't given it a chance but apparently the console version was borked so maybe that explains it.

I'm in the middle of chapter 7 so far. I like so much how the last boss was unabashedly the Slurm Queen from Futurama. Fight was on the easy side but the spectacle was fun.

Just started Trails to Azure. Can't believe we're getting three Trails games in the West this year. What a time to be a JRPG fan.

Enjoy. Top 3 in the series imo (up through CS4 anyway), and it's such a dramatic improvement over Zero. I almost couldn't believe such a great game could follow up such a weak predecessor.

FFX Remastered on PS+. I've been playing Final Fantasy games to see if I want to jump into FFXVI later this year.

I don't know how effective a gauge that will be for determining how well you match with the new game. Putting aside the 20+ year age difference, the whole series has suffered an identity crisis since... around the time 10 came out. Two MMOs, a Matsuno baby, that shitty subseries almost nobody likes, and the boys' road trip have all come out as mainline titles since then. From what little I've seen of 16, it's also pretty different. It's in competent hands afaik, but that doesn't mean you'll mesh with it. (PS: I also don't know which other games you've played; I'm just saying they've changed!)

That said, I hope you enjoy FFX. I like the game allot, but... like most of the games really, people are somewhat divided on it. I think more people are on the 'like' side though.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
The only game I've played the last couple months is.......Beat Saber!

Yeah I know, I'm a filthy casual now, but I've caught the fitness bug and prefer to spend my free time working out, on top of that, I have a lady friend and my career is challenging me a lot atm.

I guess I mostly play regular video games to fill the hole that should be filled by real life things. Like I turn to them when I'm bored or not being challenged, but life satisfies me so much more when I live it.

I still enjoy looking up the latest gaming news though (mainly here), but I think only the very best Videogame will pull me back in now, perhaps Starfield might. Although I'm more excited at the prospect of a Beat Saber 2 tbh haha!

I'm not disparaging video games or those that play them btw, I've been a gamer for over 40 years!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well, until Last of Us gets fixed, I’m pretty much playing Greedfall.

Not a bad thing, Greedfall’s been a more enjoyable game despite not being as pretty.

Reactions: stn

Kvally

GT7, Forspoken and Forza Horizon 5's new expansion are my plans for the weekend. I wish EA Sports PGA 2023 The Masters would unlock before April 4th. I wanted to get a round in at the Masters before they play next weekend.

Aenima

Started playing Ghostwire Tokyo yesterday and have to say that im enjoying it much more than i was expecting.

The trailers always gave me the vibe of a fast paced 1st person game, but thats not the case at all. Its a open world with alot verticality that you play at your own pace. Im enjoying exploring the city and the story seems mysterious enough to be interesting.

Im just not enjoying that much the combat system. Its a ranged combat system using spells and the only way to defend is by blocking. I feel like if this game had a dodge option to dodge attacks and move around enemies faster, and some powefull melee attacks, the combat would feel much better. Maybe it will feel better once i upgrade some of the skills.

Highly recommend to everyone with PS+ Extra and soon in Gamepass to give it a try.

The_hunter

Started playing Ghostwire Tokyo yesterday and have to say that im enjoying it much more than i was expecting.

The trailers always gave me the vibe of a fast paced 1st person game, but thats not the case at all. Its a open world with alot verticality that you play at your own pace. Im enjoying exploring the city and the story seems mysterious enough to be interesting.

Im just not enjoying that much the combat system. Its a ranged combat system using spells and the only way to defend is by blocking. I feel like if this game had a dodge option to dodge attacks and move around enemies faster, and some powefull melee attacks, the combat would feel much better. Maybe it will feel better once i upgrade some of the skills.

Highly recommend to everyone with PS+ Extra and soon in Gamepass to give it a try.
I read it's getting an update April 12 that adds a quick dodge and a counter attack.

Playing through RE4 remake with the wife when we both have time. On my own, I'm playing Ender Lilies. I played this on launch for the Series X. Now, I'm playing on PS5 to go for the platinum.

I'm also playing Chrono Trigger on SteamDeck.

Havoc2049

-Warhammer40k: Deathwing Enhanced Edition (PC)
Starting to get into the Warhammer 40k series, both the table top game and the video games.

-Sea of Thieves (XB Series X)
Grinding the new season, events and achievements.

Last edited:
Tried the first Resident Evil. I really wanted to get into it but I have no idea what the fuck I'm meant to do and the controls are awful. Playing with a controller was better but still awkward.

I tried exploring the mansion but most of the rooms are locked. I got a lockpick but there doesn't seem to be an option to use it. I got a knife to stab a zombie and my bullets ran out. I don't get it....I don't always have the option to knife a zombie so I need to fire bullets into them and I only have so many. I can't find anymore. I found a zombie and I was already injured and had to run away or I'd die and have to start over again. I got the ribbon for the typewriter and saved my game.

Not sure I can be bothered following a guide. Maybe I'll just move onto Resident Evil 2 and maybe come back to this at somepoint.

Top Bottom