• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Which platform? Is there a DF video breaking down the performance?
PC master race - but I'm getting lots of frame drops it goes to about 20 fps in heavy areas.

I think it could be denuvo causing it.

I'm going to reinstall windows and all my drivers plus uninstall all my other software to see if it makes a difference.

amigastar

Tried the first Resident Evil. I really wanted to get into it but I have no idea what the fuck I'm meant to do and the controls are awful. Playing with a controller was better but still awkward.

I tried exploring the mansion but most of the rooms are locked. I got a lockpick but there doesn't seem to be an option to use it. I got a knife to stab a zombie and my bullets ran out. I don't get it....I don't always have the option to knife a zombie so I need to fire bullets into them and I only have so many. I can't find anymore. I found a zombie and I was already injured and had to run away or I'd die and have to start over again. I got the ribbon for the typewriter and saved my game.

Not sure I can be bothered following a guide. Maybe I'll just move onto Resident Evil 2 and maybe come back to this at somepoint.
Yes, i have to admit, i never played the original Resident Evil 1 since i was more of a Nintendo guy and later with Resident Evil Remake on the GC i just couldn't get in (no nostalgia googles) although i have to say RE Remake is an awesome looking game with great atmosphere. My fav is Resident Evil 4, that was a gamechanger.

Last edited:
Back to Persona 3 Portable. I'm around mid august. I just done the "summer school" i think whatever that was where the teacher explains about the tarot cards and shit. I can take the dog a walk now but apparently I've missed doing the Fuuka social link so can't start the Good Boy's social link yet :( I'm so in love with this dog he's amazing. I did get the pen from the dog so I started speaking to that guy at the Shrine.

And I am trying to get into CS:GO (again) because of CS2 coming soon and i'm quite enjoying it. I'm not ready to jump into a multiplayer match though so i'm just playing with bots as I'm still trying to learn how the game works and become familiar with the maps. I'm confused about what site I need to attack/defend. I know the game is simple but difficult to master. it's just me that is dumb as fuck lol. I have the bots on medium difficulty right now and will move up as i feel ready.

yup sometimes you need to be in the right mood and play it at the right time.

so many games i couldn't get into and then one day they just clicked.
I hear it all the time with Souls, myself included. I hated Demon's Souls, at first. It's one of my all-time favorites and I've played through it probably 10-15 times between the two versions.

Off subject, but I'm glad I didn't have the option to put it on "easy". I would have, just to get through it. Instead, I came back with the mindset weeks later, that's how the game is and accepted the challenge and learning curve. Now, every Souls-style From game is an instant day one purchase for me.

SCB3

Decided to dive into the Following before Zelda Tears of the Kingdom arrives:

• Bayonetta 3
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Skyrim: Anniversary Edition (finally)
Lot of portable gaming here as I'm playing the first 2 on Switch and Skyrim is being played every now and again on Steam Deck (slow burning it this time so I can actually try and do all Quests and DLC)

Steamdeck : Astlibra - amazing arpg side scroller/metroidvania Hidden Gem , check it out, its sooooo good!!!

PC: Workers and Resources: soviet republic.... I love city builders, and this one is about making a commie planned on high economy. It could use more rebellion and people desiring to have their own individuality and choice, but its about city building so I will forgive that. Its fun. The oppressive art style is spot on.

Switch: Octopath traveler 2 - amazing , I never played the first.

PS5: RE4-Remake. Impressive, most impressive.

sedg87

Resident Evil 4 Remake
Beat it for a second and third time. Third time I used the infinite rocket launcher to speed through it. Doubt it'll try hardcore or professional mode but I will be back for mercs.

Fatal Frame
First time playing a Fatal Frame title. Loving the atmosphere.

Smurfs Mission to Vileaf on Steam Deck. It's not that exciting. Yet anyway. I expected more platforming. It's basically find your way to where the arrow is pointing.

But hey it was part of a $5.49 bundle with 6 other games. I'm glad I didn't spend $20 on it for PS4 like I'd been planning.

Naked Lunch

Metal Gear Solid [on original Playstation 1 hardware]
I used to do a yearly playthru of the entire series - but its been a long time since. One of my favorite games of all time and always will be. Im combing over every inch of the game this time thru - calling the codecs over and over. I also never watched the full briefing videos until now in 2023. So much detail crammed into this game even with the ancient ps1 hardware - even simple things like the maggots in the bathrooms - to the rats in the grates, steam from exhaust systems. Truly a work of art.

I was always intrigued how this game directly follows up the MSX games of a decade prior - and knowledge of those MSX games were essential to the overall story. So cool how those 8bit classics actually mattered and their stories continued to this game and all the Metal Gears that followed.

As a side note: I got my PS1 xstation up and running with an in-game reset board. And Im playing with RGB scart, thru the RetroTINK 5X - of which MGS uses the 320 optimal timing. It looks and sounds better than ive ever seen it. Such a joy to play thru at the highest quality on original hardware.

SoukyuGurentai [Sega Saturn]
Im convinced there is virtually no memorization in this shmup masterwork. 100% eye hand coordination skills required. This is as good as gaming gets in my eyes. Its insane how much better the Saturn port is over the PS1 one. The PS1 version feels, looks, and sounds so weak in comparison.

Halo Infinite multiplayer [Series X]
Always fire up a mp match at least a couple times a week to keep the skills sharp. Its been a year for them to prove me otherwise, but I hate BTB in this game - its nonsense with zero flow or strategy. Hate it. Infinite is strictly a 4v4 arena game at this point - which is a shame because I was a diehard BTB fan for H 2 3 and 4.

Last edited:

Ishma3L

Control. It's pretty good.

eO73wGT.gif

amigastar

Control. It's pretty good.
Damn, have to play this game, I have it even installed but never got to play it. Which is strange cause i'm a huge Remedy fan.
I think one of the reasons is it doesn't have traditional weapons but this transformable gun. I don't really like that.

Last edited:
Finally played through Simon's Quest in its entirety the other day. It's now my favorite of the 8 bit games. I like that it has no on-screen hud like 1 and 3. It's a great looking game. Still sucks that I had to look at a guide to get to a couple sections because the translation is so bad.

The_hunter

Finished Link's Awakening switch and Metroid Dread. Dread is my first Metroid game I finished, very good game. The chase sequences were very fun, and the controls were very smooth.

The eagle dungeon in Link's Awakening was so complicated.

Last edited:

Killer8

Thrown two more onto the playing pile:

The Silver Case - i'm a Suda 51 fan but have only played some of his games in a very disjointed way (Killer7, Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw and No More Heroes). I figured it was high time to go back and play through his "kill the past" series, starting with The Silver Case on Switch. I'm on the second chapter now and the narrative style has really clicked with me. It's an excellent noir visual novel and i'm hooked. There is a lot of jank, being it's really a remaster of a PS1 game, but the UI is so stylish and you can basically skip all of the obtuse numbers puzzles if you just want to enjoy the story. It's a shame Suda's other PS1 games, Twilight Syndrome and Moonlight Syndrome, do not yet have English translations to act as the true start of a kill the past playthrough, but what can you do. I'm understanding The Silver Case well enough so far to not be too bothered by that.

Metroid Prime Remastered - I sat down one night to play this and only a couple of days later have already clocked in over 8 hours. Easily as good as I remember and the remastering effort is amazing. It reminds me of the way Halo 4 on the 360 looked, which isn't too surprising since some of the Retro staff went to work for 343. I've just gotten the Gravity Suit and can feel that the game is starting to wrap up. I've accepted that I will not get 100% log completion as that is just too irritating and i've missed some things for sure, but I am toying with potentially going for 100% item completion. Once i'm done with this I will play through Metroid Prime 2: Echoes for the first time in Dolphin.

Finally played through Simon's Quest in its entirety the other day. It's now my favorite of the 8 bit games. I like that it has no on-screen hud like 1 and 3. It's a great looking game. Still sucks that I had to look at a guide to get to a couple sections because the translation is so bad.
Oh come on. It should have been super obvious you needed to kneel for several seconds with a certain item equipped while facing a cliff for a tornado to whisk you away, even with no in-game hint to do so.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I wrapped up the Dead Space remake yesterday. I started it a few weeks prior to RE4:R coming out and fell off of it once that game got its' hooks into me. It's a commendable remake, more impressive than RE4:R technically but boy to I have to force myself to muscle through the last few chapters. It's solid mechanically, the UI is still a treat and the environment is as moody as ever, but its' let down by a lack of enemy variety and how they attack. I'm also not sure why, but a lot of the enemies felt a lot spongier with the exception of the Brutes (rebalanced weapons? enemy health?) which just seems odd. The side mission stuff felt really unnecessary and more of a slog.

I've also been playing some Dangun Feveron. I really love the concept as it is so unique but it has to be my least favorite CAVE shooter. I'm completely terrible at it which probably doesn't help matters.

Lasha

I jumped back into Star Citizen. The current state of the game has enough meat for quite a bit of fun. It only takes 2 easy missions to rent a decent ship then the currency skyrockets. Persistence is a riot since you can soft kill ships then loot their remains. Mining is pretty fun especially in a group with a scout and transportation. Salvaging is what I want to try next after the wipe for 18.2.

I still regularly play Fortnite. The current map is beginning to grow stale since the transition from winter area to Japan is iffy. I find myself playing fewer games daily while still having a blast. I'm also dropping into halo infinite at least twice a week.

Poordevil

Started up a new game of Monster Hunter World a couple of weeks ago. What a great game. I love everything about it. The combat, monsters, music, gorgeous environments, lovable characters, art design and attention to detail, quality of the movement animations, both monsters and people. A big reason I keep playing is I keep improving. It is not an easy game, or a shallow game. I have gotten to the point now where I can solo just about anything, but it is still a challenge and lots of fun.

drganon

Mainly just trails from zero on the switch. Also tried out the demo for a game called process of elimination and the ps5 version of live a live.

I hear it all the time with Souls, myself included. I hated Demon's Souls, at first. It's one of my all-time favorites and I've played through it probably 10-15 times between the two versions.

Off subject, but I'm glad I didn't have the option to put it on "easy". I would have, just to get through it. Instead, I came back with the mindset weeks later, that's how the game is and accepted the challenge and learning curve. Now, every Souls-style From game is an instant day one purchase for me.
Bloodborne took me over a year to get into :messenger_tears_of_joy: I bought it at launch and I think it was around ~May-June 2016 i played it

I remember playing it and hating it. I was kicking myself for buying it. Yeah if it had an easy mode I'd have done the same. If you could sell digital games I'd have sold it. It was pissing me off that I bought the game at full price so I tried it again a few times and quit a few mores time. What happened was I decided to try Dark Souls because it was apparently a slower paced game and more forgiving. I rage quit that and almost refunded it on Steam. In fact I had a refund request in but it was annoying me and I decided to cancel the request. When I realised what I was doing wrong I was kicking ass! I returned to Bloodborne and approached it differently and used what I learned from Dark Souls and that was me. I went from hating the game to it becoming one of my favourites of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloodborne took me over a year to get into :messenger_tears_of_joy: I bought it at launch and I think it was around ~May-June 2016 i played it

I remember playing it and hating it. I was kicking myself for buying it. Yeah if it had an easy mode I'd have done the same. If you could sell digital games I'd have sold it. It was pissing me off that I bought the game at full price so I tried it again a few times and quit a few mores time. What happened was I decided to try Dark Souls because it was apparently a slower paced game and more forgiving. I rage quit that and almost refunded it on Steam. In fact I had a refund request in but it was annoying me and I decided to cancel the request. When I realised what I was doing wrong I was kicking ass! I returned to Bloodborne and approached it differently and used what I learned from Dark Souls and that was me. I went from hating the game to it becoming one of my favourites of all time.
And people who haven't experienced that yet, will not understand the "no easy mode" argument.

No, more options isn't always better. They could ruin the entire game.

Congrats. You gut guud.

And people who haven't experienced that yet, will not understand the "no easy mode" argument.

No, more options isn't always better. They could ruin the entire game.
I remember someone telling me the problem wasn't with the game but me. I went into it thinking I could play it like many other games by quickly run through the map killing groups of enemies for fun and if I died I'd be able to quickly get back to where I was. Once I learned the way the game wanted me to play then it made a lot more sense. I couldn't run into new areas because I'd get enemies sneaking up on or behind me, taking on groups of enemies is dangerous so I had to thin them out by luring them away from the group, and if I died yeah there is checkpoints like Lanterns/Bonfires but they're quite a way back so you need to fight your way through an area all over again.

Corian33

TLOU2 - Kinda know what happens but never played it myself. I’m on Seattle Day 3. So far it’s very enjoyable with some great scenes. I know people don’t like where the game goes from somewhere around this point, but I’m curious to experience it for myself.

Diablo 3 - Never played a hardcore character so I’m running a Demon Hunter and seeing if I can get all the achievements before D4 comes out and consumes my gaming life.

Last edited:
I am actually having so much fun with CS:GO. I'm having to force myself to stop playing. I'm still only playing against bots but I might put it up to hard now. I'm kinda terrified of the thought of playing against other players lol. Right now what I'm trying to do is train myself to not be running around everywhere and move slower. Been playing some Team Deathmatch games.

Have also downloaded Valorant which I'm about to try (again). Maybe that will click for me now too!

stn

Got the platinum in Wo Long (PS5), last few hours were a drain getting all the stupid collectibles. Going to focus on RE4 (XSX) and Last of Us 2 (PS4) now.

BossLackey

Gold Member
R4make
Tekken 7
Trying to finish Xenoblade Chronicles DE but I don’t think JRPGs are for me.

Gonna start a new boomer shooter. Might be Prodeus or Cultic.

Top Bottom