• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Got a PS5 for Christmas. Playing Astros at the moment. What a fucking delight! Seriously impressed with the dual sense. Legit don’t know what to play next. Tossing up between:

Forbidden West (loved zero Dawn)
As already mentioned, please skip this game. I adored Zero Dawn. It was a masterpiece. Forbidden West is the epitome of slog and bloat. The writing is poor, and you will come to hate Aloy.

Just pretend the story ended with Zero Dawn (which it did, nicely, despite their attempt at ret-conning the ending for the purpose of sequel).

Fbh

Hogwarts Legacy.
Pretty fun so far, I'm not a massive HP fan but I did read all the books and getting to explore Hogwarts and its surroundings with AAA production values has been awesome. The gameplay design is pretty standard but enjoyable so far. I know some people expected more of a Persona type student simulator but personally I'm glad it's more adventure focused than going to classes and all that.
Created a stereotypical Slithering Character

Y3uIrjA.jpg

My only complaint so far is that I wish the game would give me some more freedom in terms of personality. You are sort of locked into being a good guy, at most I've been given the option to give some slightly cocky replies.
Also I wanted to name my character Janus Zeal (Magus from Chrono Trigger) but it wouldn't let me use that first name (I can only assume because it has the word "anus" in it)

Last edited:
I've been on a massive Saturn kick, buying up accessories lately; race wheel, arcade stick, mouse.

Was playing Policenauts but then inadvertently stumbled on a similar type of game called Virus (Hudson Soft/Sega), it's really engaged me but it's all in Japanese. Thankfully there's a solid guide on gamefaqs. It's such a unique game, combat is RPG style and boss fights are stylized via turbo anime/CG. It's really wild, I know these games were popular in Japan but I've never experienced anything like Virus before. The game isn't for everyone but I'm loving it.

Outside of that. Daytona with the race wheel is honestly amazing, I did not expect that at all. Also playing Vampire Savior and Layer Section with the arcade stick. Gaming heaven.

Got some PSVR2 on the back burner but just have no desire to stand/wear a headset while gaming right now.

I foresee the next few months being dedicated to obscure Japanese gems on Saturn and playing through them with available guides, already found a few for games in interested in. I fucking love gamefaqs, people from decades ago doing God's work knowing maybe a handful of people at best would actually utilize the guide. Exciting times for me.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm playing Crysis Remastered and it's awesome. I was thinking of playing for a few minutes and then making space on my hard drive, but I guess I'll continue all the way through. It's like Far Cry 1 but better. The AI is a bit aggressive, but I enjoy the challenge so far.

Thanks again, your tips were crucial in defeating Door Guardian (also, it was a patience game more than with other bosses) so I will definitely try this.

And yes, I am one Quartz away from using wishstones twices
There is a questline with quartz that involves finding an encrypted vessel inside that last chapter. It is on the upper level of the prison area where you fight another Giant Kid robot (a.k.a. Arche Abbey Broken Rift). If you take it to Venigni he can decrypt it and send you on a treasure hunt.

There is also another that can be acquired from the puppet with whom you may share emotions in the Barren Swamp.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I had a credit on the meta quest store so I bought Iron Man VR and I've been playing it all afternoon. That and good old Fruit Ninja. Taking a break from my Mass Effect trilogy playthrough on Steam Deck, but I'll probably pick that up again tonight.

sedg87

Lies of P
Made it to Venigni Works Control Room. I've picked up quite a few handles but not sure if I want to use any of them. Quite like the greatsword that I'm currently using.

sedg87

Lies of P
Just beat the King’s Flame Fuoco boss. Got it down after a few attempts. Majorly rubbish attempts at parrying and dodging. Also ran out of the consumable which clears status effects. Got a special fire grindstone now. Also can unlock more of the arm thingies. Game is starting to get really good.

GutsOfThor

I have the week off so I'm trying to make it through Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse on the Switch and Jedi Survivor on PS5.

T-0800

Got a PS5 for Christmas. Playing Astros at the moment. What a fucking delight! Seriously impressed with the dual sense. Legit don’t know what to play next. Tossing up between:

Rift Apart
Forbidden West (loved zero Dawn)
Returnal
Returnal for sure. Make sure you play it with headphones on.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve got PS-Plus extra so can try it at no risk. I’ve heard good and bad things. I loved the story in ZD and my brother in law claims thst FW has the better story. Will find out soon enough!

It's a great game don't let the detractors deter you. The one thing you should do to make the experience so much better is turn off looting animations. Makes the game so much less tedious.

Fess

Baldur’s Gate 3 - Still haven’t tried the WASD mod mentioned earlier so controls is still a problem for me. But roleplaying and posibilities keeps on being fantastic, it really makes every other RPG out there seem to go on rails.
I’m not having fun though. Still playing it but for me it don’t deliver on the high expectations after all the praise. I think I’ve realized that turn-based battles might not actually be for me anymore. It’s just too slow. I often just do one or maybe two battles per session. And there is no excitement. I’ve fallen asleep playing it because there is no scenario where I need to be on my toes.

Cocoon - This is a surprise hit for me. Absolutely loving it. The puzzles are fresh and the design is lovely and it’s just a unique experience. I think I’ve downed 4 bosses now, boss fights are cool, I really like how they evolve, but they’re too short. Great game.

Elden Ring - The game I’ll probably never drop. It’s a masterpiece. Currently doing a new Astrologer playthrough. I think I originally rated this 9 or 9.5 because I hated the final boss, but I’ve played through it many times since then and accepted that no game is 100% perfect. Today I’d say it’s probably the most deserved 10/10 I can think of besides Super Metroid.

Hollow Knight - Another masterpiece. Control perfection. Can’t wait to play Silksong whenever that may arrive.

LastBattle

It's a great game don't let the detractors deter you. The one thing you should do to make the experience so much better is turn off looting animations. Makes the game so much less tedious.
Definitely still going to play it. I’m pretty easy to please and hopefully can look past its short comings. Still really looking forward to playing it

Roberts

There is a questline with quartz that involves finding an encrypted vessel inside that last chapter. It is on the upper level of the prison area where you fight another Giant Kid robot (a.k.a. Arche Abbey Broken Rift). If you take it to Venigni he can decrypt it and send you on a treasure hunt.

There is also another that can be acquired from the puppet with whom you may share emotions in the Barren Swamp.
I totally forgot about the Giant Kid robot so got Quartz and the rest is history. Took me five attempts to bring him down. So, thanks again!

Wingnut

Dragonball Z Kakarot and Dreamlight Valley are my two between the year games.

Kakarot is such a blast I am genuinely surprised how good that is.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Elden Ring - The game I’ll probably never drop. It’s a masterpiece. Currently doing a new Astrologer playthrough. I think I originally rated this 9 or 9.5 because I hated the final boss, but I’ve played through it many times since then and accepted that no game is 100% perfect. Today I’d say it’s probably the most deserved 10/10 I can think of besides Super Metroid.
I don’t know why this is so fucking addicting, I can’t stop playing this game. I just recent finished another two playthrough with STR/INT build and currently thinking going back in and start all over again with different build.

You would think I should be burnout by now but every time thinking about starting brand new playthrough I get excited as if I’m playing new game……I’m starting to think I have unhealthy addiction to this game and I don’t even touch the PVP or co-op.

Last edited:

Fess

I don’t know why this is so fucking addicting, I can’t stop playing this game. I just recent finished another two playthrough with STR/INT build and currently thinking going back in and start all over again with different build.

You would think I should be burnout by now but every time thinking about starting brand new playthrough I get excited as if I’m playing new game……I’m starting to think I have unhealthy addiction to this game and I don’t even touch the PVP or co-op.
Lol hello brother 🤝
Not one second spent in pvp or coop, playcounter is above 500 hours, a handfull of playthroughs and some ng+ as well. Can’t stop playing. It’s better than everything else out there imo. I still list Super Metroid as my #1 all-time but there is a ton of nostalgia there. I could easily swap in Elden Ring instead at #1 but I keep Super Metroid at the top because of the few things I truly hate in ER (Elden Beast and also Fire Giant).

Danjin44

the few things I truly hate in ER (Elden Beast and also Fire Giant).
I consider Radagon the true final boss, not only because his very fun fight but also it has such epic theme and yeah Fire Giant suffered from being waaaay too big for humanoid boss…Dragonlord Placidusax was also big but he was MUCH better fight than both Elden Beast and Fire Giant.

Fess

I consider Radagon the true final boss, not only because his very fun fight but also it has such epic theme and yeah Fire Giant suffered from being waaaay too big for humanoid boss…Dragonlord Placidusax was also big but he was MUCH better fight than both Elden Beast and Fire Giant.
Radagon has a few annoying attacks but is mostly cool. Elden Beast is my arch enemy. In general I don’t like any of the big bosses when the camera becomes your enemy, I think there should be some auto zoom-out feature, staring at a couple toes filling the whole screen when you need to keep track of attack patterns makes no sense.

Danjin44

Radagon has a few annoying attacks but is mostly cool. Elden Beast is my arch enemy. In general I don’t like any of the big bosses when the camera becomes your enemy, I think there should be some auto zoom-out feature, staring at a couple toes filling the whole screen when you need to keep track of attack patterns makes no sense.
I once did Faith/Dex build that solely focus on lighting and Ancient Dragons' Lightning Strike is the thing use against giant enemies. It absolutely DESTROYS their HP, including Elden Beast.

LastBattle

Returnal for sure. Make sure you play it with headphones on.
Put a few hours into Returnal today. Managed to get to the first boss and got close to defeating, then proceeded to get sloppy and die plenty before reaching the boss again. Love this game. So smooth to play, looks amazing and dripping with atmosphere. The little touches with controller haptic feedback and sound coming from the dualsense speaker really add to the overall experience. Can’t wait to jump back in again tomorrow. Really impressed with the PS5. Glad I finally pulled the trigger and picked one up.

Fess

I once did Faith/Dex build that solely focus on lighting and Ancient Dragons' Lightning Strike is the thing use against giant enemies. It absolutely DESTROYS their HP, including Elden Beast.
Looked at a video, yeah that seems potent enough. I don’t know any fun magic for lower level faith builds tho, any tips?

I used meteorite of astel in one playthrough, it wasn’t as easy as the level 150 guides showed but it was probably the easiest Elden Beast kill so far for me.

Danjin44

I don’t know any fun magic for lower level faith builds tho, any tips?
Just like most sorceries the best Faith spells you must put some investment in Faith, especially when it comes to lighting spells.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Lies of P and WoW: SOD

Was playing Remnant 2, but put it down. About 10 or so hours into it and just not really hooked the way Lies of P fully grabbed my attention.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Don't want Callisto Protocol to be the last game I played this year, so started some FF Origins CHAOS edition.

Fess

Just like most sorceries the best Faith spells you must put some investment in Faith, especially when it comes to lighting spells.
Is the recommendation to simply use melee until the stats are high enough for some interesting offensive incantation?

I always go with int and glintstone or gravity spells when using magic. Meteorite staff and rock sling is a nice early game combo.

Danjin44

Is the recommendation to simply use melee until the stats are high enough for some interesting offensive incantation?

I always go with int and glintstone or gravity spells when using magic. Meteorite staff and rock sling is a nice early game combo.
I would say black flames incantation can really nice offensive incantation and there many weapons and ash of war with black flame skills.
skill-ghostflame-ignition-elden-ring-wiki-480px.gif
skill-the-queens-black-flame-elden-ring-wiki-480px.gif
skill-black-flame-tornado-elden-ring-wiki-480px.gif

Edit: My mistake, Death poker is actually uses ghost flame which mostly scales with intelligence rather than Faith.

Last edited:

Roberts

So, I gave myself a xmas present and bought three AA games on latest xbox sale but only played them for an hour or so each to see which one I will choose first:

Robocop - not sure if they totally nailed the tone of the first film but on its own it is a blast. Fun shooting and it is fun walking around doing little side activities even mundane ones like helping out a receptionist with incoming complaints.

The Invincible - Basically Firewatch in space. Looks great, dig the retro eastern block sci-fi vibe and seems like a cool little story if you are into these walking sims.

Fallen Atlas - I’m a fan of eurojank RPGs and this one seems to be right up my valley. So far it reminds me of sci-fi fantasy Kingdoms of Amalur but I’m sure some of you can come up with more precise comparisons. Combat is functional and progression seems fun.

So far not disappointed with any of them.

rocketleague

Neo Member
just finished
sea of stars (very disappointing game imo)
Ori and the blind forest definitive edition (great game)
And currently play Tales of Arise , having fun so far with it.

T-0800

Put a few hours into Returnal today. Managed to get to the first boss and got close to defeating, then proceeded to get sloppy and die plenty before reaching the boss again. Love this game. So smooth to play, looks amazing and dripping with atmosphere. The little touches with controller haptic feedback and sound coming from the dualsense speaker really add to the overall experience. Can’t wait to jump back in again tomorrow. Really impressed with the PS5. Glad I finally pulled the trigger and picked one up.
Headphones.
do it jewish GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Star Ocean Second Story and Prodeus. Played a lot of the Tekken 8 demo. Preordered T8 and Rebirth.

Looked at a video, yeah that seems potent enough. I don’t know any fun magic for lower level faith builds tho, any tips?

I used meteorite of astel in one playthrough, it wasn’t as easy as the level 150 guides showed but it was probably the easiest Elden Beast kill so far for me.
I love the blasphemous blade and my level 200 was able to do NG++. I’m going to use it with the DLC to see how far it’ll get me.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
34 Hours Into Baldur's Gate III

Ended up saving that Bard Volo from getting burnt alive.

On another sidequests where I have to figure out what creature killed a wave sister.

I'm enjoying the size of Baldur's Gate (The City)

Was wondering how many miles it is in the game

Also found this awesome clothes store where I can buy really cool undergarments and casual wear and been using those to put my characters in

Just exploring the city and taking my time

Bartski

Gold Member
Nier Replicant. Just got to the 5 years later chapter and I'm honestly thinking of dropping it.
I know it's still early but a lot of of the stuff I loved about Nier: Automata seems largely absent here, replaced by C-tier horrible fantasy anime writing to the point it actually sours me on Automata which this is the canon prequel to. Combat is fine and I'm sure the really good parts likely come past "ending A" but I'm close to just watching it all on YouTube.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Played a lot of Lies of P yesterday. Just beat the King of Puppets. That area was gorgeous. I'm enjoying this more than the last few souls games. Better technical performance, better difficulty balancing.

Cant tell how much more of the game is left. Guessing another 10 hours or so.

Topher

Gold Member
Octopath Traveler 2. Started it on PS5, but moved over to PC to play on Steam Deck since I was traveling for the holidays. Perfect way to play games like these.

Last edited:

Roberts

Played a lot of Lies of P yesterday. Just beat the King of Puppets. That area was gorgeous. I'm enjoying this more than the last few souls games. Better technical performance, better difficulty balancing.

Cant tell how much more of the game is left. Guessing another 10 hours or so.
Yeah, that was a gorgeous chapter and 10 hours sounds about right. You are past middle of the game, but the progress will get slower mainly because of difficulty spikes and that the last (11th) chapter is basically twice as large as any previous one. That is where the game becomes really challenging but also more rewarding. I also think they handle the story in more interesting ways than FS usually does.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nier Replicant. Just got to the 5 years later chapter and I'm honestly thinking of dropping it.
I know it's still early but a lot of of the stuff I loved about Nier: Automata seems largely absent here, replaced by C-tier horrible fantasy anime writing to the point it actually sours me on Automata which this is the canon prequel to. Combat is fine and I'm sure the really good parts likely come past "ending A" but I'm close to just watching it all on YouTube.

The running back and forth shit made me drop it.

foamdino

Hogwarts Legacy - PS5
Octopath Traveller 2 - PS5
Warhammer 40k, Rogue Trader - PC

Rogue Trader is an absolute masterpiece for me. It is however quite difficult and I am spending too much time killing my own companions with friendly fire.

Owlcat have definitely improved over their last three games.

I'm really enjoying both hogwarts and octopath so I am having a really great Christmas.

Debating next game as I just got the platinum on PS5 for Spiderman 2. Either:

PC: Remnant 2, or

PS5: Death Stranding

I also have Death Stranding on PC but want to use the Dualsense and also trophy hunt it.

I just beat Death Stranding a couple of days ago. It's everything people say it is. A Fedex simulator, but man is it well done. My only complaint is barely any of the deliveries have the great sound track going. I hope the next one uses it a lot more or at least give the users the option to enable it during non-action scenes or areas with no enemies. Really loved the ending as well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Tiny Tina: Finally beat the campaign, but I’ve got so much more shit to clean up. The crazy part is the game finally started getting fun, so I plan on making this my side game for a while.

Uncharted 4: Just started and got through the boring opening bits. Looking forward to getting past where I was on PS4 years ago.

I did the same and comparing simple conversations with characters between the two is wild.
“Wild” doesn’t even come close. Bethesda is doomed. They had their big run with Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 but I honestly doubt they’ll reach that ever again. I mean, it took them forever to make Starfield with an engine they know and it was lukewarm at best. If they switch engines TES VI is gonna take at least another 10 years. I hope MS is willing to fiance that.

Top Bottom