• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't know why, but I bought the Callisto Protocol DLC over black friday, might as well play it lol.

Next: Baldurs Gate in January.

Gonna take this week easy, no time to start any new game.

reektann

I needed a portable game as I’ll be away for four days or so over Christmas so couldn’t really start anything on PC that needed a lot of power. Decided to check out the Star Ocean Second Story demo on the OLED switch in portable mode. Really liked it so far so bought it.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I've finished Super Mario RPG remake. It was a really fun experience

I'm currently hopping between GTA 3 (doing missions on Stauton Island) and Asterix & Obelix XXL Romastered (just started second level) on Steam Deck

Mr Hyde

Finished Rocket Knight on PS3. Very short but a lot of fun. Carries on the spirit of the first one but it doesn't really take the franchise to new heights, as you would of expect on such more powerful hardware. But it is fun for what it is. And Sparkster is just too cute with his sword and little rocket pack on his back.

Finished Act 3 in Battletoads. Great fun so far. I love the variety the game is presenting. The last couple of stages has been platforming and shmup, which I didn't expect at all. The platforming sections were very good. Fun to traverse and with some nice puzzles baked in. The wonderful art style really shines in these levels, makes you wish MS did a dedicated 2D platformer with the Battletoads IP.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I'm 10 hours into Baldur's Gate III

I'm currently at the Underdark/Sharran Temple to get the Nightsong

So far this game is fantastic. I'm surprised to say the least lol

sedg87

Resident Evil Director's Cut
Finished advanced mode with Jill. Didn't know you get a magnum with infinite ammo for clearing the mode.

Hades
Keep getting battered by the second boss, the hydra. Just spent 8 of those keys to unlock the fist weapons. Not tried them yet. Think the bow is my favourite so far.

Laieon

I'm 10 hours into Baldur's Gate III

I'm currently at the Underdark/Sharran Temple to get the Nightsong

So far this game is fantastic. I'm surprised to say the least lol

I'm 8 hours in

and just finished the goblin encampment quest from the first hamlet you run into... I am not good at this game. 😅

Phase

Lufia & The Fortress of Doom

1347967-lufia-the-fortress-of-doom-snes-front-cover.jpg

Loving it, I'm about 10 hrs in. Music is so good as well.

hinch7

Somewhat been glued to Holocure at the moment. Amazing for what is a free game. That and MW3 multiplayer.

May get back into AW2 at some point.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I'm 19 hours into Baldur's Gate III

I'm finding Ketheric Thorm's Relic and finding a way to kill him since he can't be killed.

I'm at Thorn Mausoleum now and am lost on what to do. Loving the game so far but I'll be consulting a guide to see how to get past this segment

Still having a fantastic time

Writing is great, the Lore especially is interesting

-Zelda-

Banned
Just finished one of the Doom 3 expansions. Not ROE, but the other one whose name sadly escapes me at the moment. Was really fun busting demons on Jesus birthday. Merry Christmas everyone.

RAIDEN1

FINALLY finished Planet of Lana yesterday, there is no doubting its quality, the music is on par with a movie, atmosphere, presentation, the puzzles, it is all top-notch.....for some reason now I am interested in going back to the point-and-click genre and interested in checking out Oxen-Free from 2016....I missed it and never knew about it till recently...

RAIDEN1

I've finished Super Mario RPG remake. It was a really fun experience

I'm currently hopping between GTA 3 (doing missions on Stauton Island) and Asterix & Obelix XXL Romastered (just started second level) on Steam Deck
I would like to know, what happens when Mario loses all his lives and gets taken back to the start, how do you resume where you left-off?

Dazraell

I would like to know, what happens when Mario loses all his lives and gets taken back to the start, how do you resume where you left-off?
If Mario dies during combat and you have other party members, you can still revive him with items or by using one of Peach's powers. If your entire party is beaten, you just go to menu with saves to load. The game has autosave feature beside manual checkpoints so you won't lose too much progress. The game is easy to play even on normal difficulty so you don't have to worry about it too much

stn

Managed to beat LAD: Gaiden (PS5). Good game but more of what I expected. Also, I found the combat to be really frustrating when fighting many enemies. I feel like the combat engine needs tweaking. I'm gonna try to beat Wanted: Dead (XSX) today. I'm near the end but the game can be frustrating and hard as shit.

RAIDEN1

If Mario dies during combat and you have other party members, you can still revive him with items or by using one of Peach's powers. If your entire party is beaten, you just go to menu with saves to load. The game has autosave feature beside manual checkpoints so you won't lose too much progress. The game is easy to play even on normal difficulty so you don't have to worry about it too much
The only reason I ask is, because I was playing it the original version of the game recently, and when early on it is just Mario and he dies, he gets taken back to where he began, but I can't find how to get back onto the main path, it's either the castle where Bowser is, or back to where you started....and I can't seem to resume the quest, because it's like ok, so where do I go?

Dazraell

The only reason I ask is, because I was playing it the original version of the game recently, and when early on it is just Mario and he dies, he gets taken back to where he began, but I can't find how to get back onto the main path, it's either the castle where Bowser is, or back to where you started....and I can't seem to resume the quest, because it's like ok, so where do I go?
Oh, at first you push forward until you have a fight with Bowser on the chandelier. After prologue you go to castle in Mushroom Kingdom to talk with the chancellor (he's on the main hall in a center area). When you will leave castle you will meet your first companion (Mallow) and you go with him on a quest to retrieve an item from one of the bosses. I assume things played out similarly on the original version. It probably didn't had autosave and relied on saving from these checkpoint boxes. If I remember correctly first one was in the inn on Mushroom Kingdom area

sedg87

Received some new games for Christmas.

Lake
Pretty relaxing game. I enjoy simple games like this; It makes a nice change from the normal stuff I play.

Lies of P
Beat the Parade Master and made my way to the hotel. The game is incredible from the little I've played.

bender

What time is it?
Me and a buddy have been replaying the Souls games in co-op this year. We finished DS2 earlier this year. We just wrapped up the main game in Bloodborne and almost have the DLC wrapped too. I went ahead and Platinumed the game last night as my only missing trophy was Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen. It's the first time I've gotten a Platinum Trophy in a Souls game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Been spending some time with Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising...

I didnt think it could be done but I have replaced my main Lowain with the new entry Grimnir

this dude is a beast, he hits like a truck for the speed and mobility he puts out, but thats not why I like him, its the fucking Japanese voice actor Megumi Ogata. She tends to voice pretty boys, but there's just something about how this dude whos supposed to be all super cool and a powerful god like character just constantly nerds out and trys to make himself look cool on purpose and everyone just goes along with it because they feel bad for him.

I have a real thing for joke characters like Dan, but this dude is a joke in personality only, complete with complaining about his "evil eye" and the power sealed in his right arm he cant control like he's some Japanese middle school kid, he's so uncool he becomes cool and is much fun to play.

Last edited:
I’m clearly out of my depth in Lies of P but I can’t stop. Got to Simon Manus bossfight, first phase is easy but no luck with the second one yet. That said, it seems like it won’t give me as much trouble as Laxasia did.
This one is tough even after the nerf as there are some nearly broken area of effect attacks by this boss. Hopefully you have the extra cube perk from P-organ with Friendship Wishstones for support. Beyond that a LV1 Aegis Shield or LV3 Puppet String spam is a must with a fully upgraded weapon and best Disruption and Strike resistance gear. Electric Blitz Grindstone is good for adding damage. A shotput is good for knocking boss down from far away if they are already staggered. The health erasing area of effect boss attacks will make the fight success very random.

P.S. Loaded up Diablo II Resurrected after a long time and decided to ditch the Assassin for a Werewolf Druid. Already at Stony Field in one session. This is the kind of stuff I was imagining for the future of gaming when seeing Sega's Altered Beast on the Genesis.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Even after a years worth of patches, Callisto Protocol is a buggy game. Please, no one cite it in the same breath as the much superior Dead Space remake.

bender

What time is it?
Even after a years worth of patches, Callisto Protocol is a buggy game. Please, no one cite it in the same breath as the much superior Dead Space remake.

I don't think Dead Space has aged all that well, but Callisto really doesn't have much going for it outside of visuals, which granted are very nice, and its' use of stasis thanks to so many spike laden, buzz-saw covered walls.

ramuh

Vampire survivors
Lethal Company
And some quest 3 vr games.
Really cant wait till next year games.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Tsctics Ogre Reborn .. fucking difficult spikes are driving me crazy, and I cant follow the story even if my life depends on it, but is quite addictive

Last edited:

Kupfer

Got a PS5 for Christmas. Playing Astros at the moment. What a fucking delight! Seriously impressed with the dual sense. Legit don’t know what to play next. Tossing up between:

Rift Apart
Forbidden West (loved zero Dawn)
Returnal
Do yourself a favour and skip FW then - or at least buy a used, cheap copy, not worth the full price.
I loved ZD as well (platinum) but had to stop playing FW after ~20 hours because it got me disappointed and therefore angry. The characters all feel badly written and Aloy is an unlikable, snobby brat, the story doesn't come close to ZD and the skills/weapons/ranged combat/controls feel way too overloaded.

There are too many menus with submenus and buttons with double assignments, so it never felt fluid to me. The combat system tries to be complex, but the controls are too complicated, so you end up just doing the same thing over and over again.
The game is also far too overloaded, there are far too many POIs that you work through, which makes it feel bloated.

I also think the game world is poorly designed. The game wants you to give free rein to your spirit of discovery, but at the same time it restricts the player as soon as you want to explore the world away from the POIs on the map.

I was often confronted with invisible level boundaries and suddenly, after climbing up somewhere, I was told by a text box that I wasn't allowed to go there yet. This disturbed my immersion and, in my opinion, doesn't fit into a game like this. Gothic did it better >20years ago.
I was also annoyed by the permanent blocked paths that you have to backtrack to as soon as you've got the right ability, only to find garbage as a loot behind them. Exploring is no fun in this game.

Only the technical implementation on the PS5 is worth a look, the game looks great and delivers a good performance. Unfortunately, the content is a step backwards from Zero Dawn in all respects.

Or another approach; if the game world is the main focus for you and you don't mind bloat, you like Ubisoft games and don't care much about an immersive story, you don't care about unlikable characters and you can have fun with a game just because of the good graphics, try it out, maybe it's something for you.

LastBattle

Do yourself a favour and skip FW then - or at least buy a used, cheap copy, not worth the full price.
I loved ZD as well (platinum) but had to stop playing FW after ~20 hours because it got me disappointed and therefore angry. The characters all feel badly written and Aloy is an unlikable, snobby brat, the story doesn't come close to ZD and the skills/weapons/ranged combat/controls feel way too overloaded.

There are too many menus with submenus and buttons with double assignments, so it never felt fluid to me. The combat system tries to be complex, but the controls are too complicated, so you end up just doing the same thing over and over again.
The game is also far too overloaded, there are far too many POIs that you work through, which makes it feel bloated.

I also think the game world is poorly designed. The game wants you to give free rein to your spirit of discovery, but at the same time it restricts the player as soon as you want to explore the world away from the POIs on the map.

I was often confronted with invisible level boundaries and suddenly, after climbing up somewhere, I was told by a text box that I wasn't allowed to go there yet. This disturbed my immersion and, in my opinion, doesn't fit into a game like this. Gothic did it better >20years ago.
I was also annoyed by the permanent blocked paths that you have to backtrack to as soon as you've got the right ability, only to find garbage as a loot behind them. Exploring is no fun in this game.

Only the technical implementation on the PS5 is worth a look, the game looks great and delivers a good performance. Unfortunately, the content is a step backwards from Zero Dawn in all respects.

Or another approach; if the game world is the main focus for you and you don't mind bloat, you like Ubisoft games and don't care much about an immersive story, you don't care about unlikable characters and you can have fun with a game just because of the good graphics, try it out, maybe it's something for you.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve got PS-Plus extra so can try it at no risk. I’ve heard good and bad things. I loved the story in ZD and my brother in law claims thst FW has the better story. Will find out soon enough!

engstra

Got a PS5 for Christmas. Playing Astros at the moment. What a fucking delight! Seriously impressed with the dual sense. Legit don’t know what to play next. Tossing up between:

Rift Apart
Forbidden West (loved zero Dawn)
Returnal
Highly recommend Returnal. First game I played on the console that made me go, this is next gen. I would also say it's probably the game on the console that makes best use of the Dualsense.

Roberts

This one is tough even after the nerf as there are some nearly broken area of effect attacks by this boss. Hopefully you have the extra cube perk from P-organ with Friendship Wishstones for support. Beyond that a LV1 Aegis Shield or LV3 Puppet String spam is a must with a fully upgraded weapon and best Disruption and Strike resistance gear. Electric Blitz Grindstone is good for adding damage. A shotput is good for knocking boss down from far away if they are already staggered. The health erasing area of effect boss attacks will make the fight success very random.

P.S. Loaded up Diablo II Resurrected after a long time and decided to ditch the Assassin for a Werewolf Druid. Already at Stony Field in one session. This is the kind of stuff I was imagining for the future of gaming when seeing Sega's Altered Beast on the Genesis.

Thanks again, your tips were crucial in defeating Door Guardian (also, it was a patience game more than with other bosses) so I will definitely try this.

And yes, I am one Quartz away from using wishstones twices

Last edited:

Barakov

Just beat The Hyperstone Heist from the TMNT collection. I may just be older now but I don't remember that game being that annoying to play through.

LastBattle

Highly recommend Returnal. First game I played on the console that made me go, this is next gen. I would also say it's probably the game on the console that makes best use of the Dualsense.
Thanks, I think I will play some Returnal first. Love a good challenge and have always thought it looked intriguing. Plus I do want another game that feels great with the Dualsense.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  • Double Cross. Surprisingly solid. Got it for $1. Indie platformer action game.
  • Lies of P: hanging in there. Got to admit it does keep exceeding my expectations.
  • El Paso Elsewhere: Blown away by levels 1-15. Then it started getting brutal. Might have to drop down to easy.
  • Forza: Playing a ton of it the last several days. Love this game.

Tarnished

WoW Season of Discovery - Reliving my teenage years with a twist, a bunch of my friends are playing it together, and it has been fun so far, and I really enjoy how it's seasonal, so you don't have to rush to max level.
Alan Wake II - Slowly finishing it, I've been waiting for Nvidia to fix the performance degradation which is seems that they now have, so I'll get around to finishing it soon.
Marvel Snap - Easily my favourite card game ever, I hit Infinite (highest rank) this season for the first time and I really enjoy it, I'm still relatively new at CL 2800ish, so I'm still missing some key cards, but I'm getting there.

Top Bottom