• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

LastBattle

Headphones.
do it jewish GIF
It does indeed sound amazing with headphones

LastBattle

Played a lot of Lies of P yesterday. Just beat the King of Puppets. That area was gorgeous. I'm enjoying this more than the last few souls games. Better technical performance, better difficulty balancing.

Cant tell how much more of the game is left. Guessing another 10 hours or so.
I’ve been hankering for another souls type experiences. I noticed Elden Ring is on sale however I think I might hold fire and play Lies of P first. Playing Returnal at the moment though and can only play one punishing game at a time. Lies of P will be my next rage inducing game

Markio128

Gold Member
I recently picked up WRC on PS5 in the sale. There are still some performance issues, but for the most part it plays like a dream. Also, at first glance, the visuals can look a little sub par, but the lighting is superb and it can look really nice at times.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I’ve been hankering for another souls type experiences. I noticed Elden Ring is on sale however I think I might hold fire and play Lies of P first. Playing Returnal at the moment though and can only play one punishing game at a time. Lies of P will be my next rage inducing game
Its a lot more linear. Go Elden Ring if you need open world. Lies of P is better than I expected though. Impressive game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Picked up Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader on a whim expecting to refund it and I’m almost 20 hours in now across my PC and Steam Deck.

Best warhammer game we’ve ever got, and Owlcats first great game IMO. BG3 excels in things like presentation, graphics, etc but Rogue Trader has far more enjoyable combat and a leveling system that is digestible. Lore is top notch, writing and dialogue is aces, and the soundtrack oozes atmosphere.

All owlcat needs is a rogue trader 2 with a budget and bigger development team. No more excuses for every character not having a portrait, use AI to generate voice acting, and let’s put in some effort for animated cut scenes in a third person perspective.

Trying to take maybe a week or two break from bigger games and just play some indies. Just finished cocoon. Good but not great. Way too short, even for an indie game but was a cool concept. Also just got sifu and tunic. Don't think I will care for sifu too much but tunic seems up my alley.

On and off:

The Evil Within Steam
The Wonderful 101 Remastered Steam
Sonic Origins: Sonic 3 and Knuckles Switch
Nier Automata Switch

I want to start/continue the stuff that I snagged from the Steam Winter Sale, like The Last of Us Part 1, Dead Space Remake, The Callisto Protocol, Remnant: From the Ashes, etc.

Crayon

I'm ass deep in BG3, but I'm playing co-op so when my adventuring partner isn't around I was playing a couple "why am I playing this" games. Parkasaurus, a simple park builder. And need for speed heat. I kinda like a nfs game once in awhile. I have nice memories of playing the first one for hours and hours. Both are mid but make decent podcast games.

Naked Lunch

Monster Hunter Rise [Series X]
So much gameplay depth - so much room for playing with skill - playing creative with a style all your own. So much to learn and master - and just a simple weapon switch turns the entire game into a different one. This is pretty much exactly what I want out of a videogame.

Since really digging into this one recently - I have a much greater appreciation of this game and series in general. The living ecosystem - the plantlife - how the animals feed - the million boss patterns and weaknesses to learn. The years long legacy of many of the monsters and their new modern day updates.

There's really nothing else like it in gaming. Yet another Capcom crown jewel series in their legacy of many.

sedg87

Lies of P
Just defeated the Archbishop boss. First try. Easiest boss so far. Traded in one of the rare Ergo for the Holy Sword of the Ark, which seems excellent.

Muffdraul

I bought Alan Wake 2 at launch, but after the first hour, I knew I just wasn't in the mood for something that slow and methodical. Also, I loved AW1 back in its day, but when I played the remaster on PS4, I liked it a lot less. So I just wasn't chomping at the bit for AW2. My plan was to put it off until the end of the year when I had two weeks off for the holidays and I could take my time with it and really sink my teeth in.

That plan worked out just fine. The first couple chapters had some off putting moments but then it grabbed me by the throat for the rest of the way up to the end. Right now I'm a little over halfway through my 'Final Draft' playthrough (NG+) and god damn Remedy is awesome. Hats off to Sam Lake. Can't wait for the Max Payne remakes.

bender

What time is it?
Finished Chapter 7 in Ghost Trick. The story is a little on the predictable side but the charming writing and characters more than make up for that niggle. I also like how interwoven each scene is and how that comes to fruition in the game play. The animation is otherworldly.

LastBattle

Started playing Returnal a few days ago. Up to biome 3. Finding the game gets much more forgiving by exploring everything, upgrading and going into boss fights fully prepared with resurrect, resurrect parasite and two full bars of integrity (if possible). Game is sick as fuck. Reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime.

Last edited:

Crayon

Okay so a month ago I discovered my little ps1 with the screen didn't work. I only realized last week it was just as likely to be the power brick so I went to the games shop down the street, tried one out there and it was all good.

So in celebration I tried Destruction Derby 2. I was all about it day one but this is around the time I just started buying games I wouldn't play "right away". The dawn of the backlog. So DD2 has been on my backlog for almost however many years. I actually don't know if I had ever bought the original. I thought I had it but couldn't find it so I got one off ebay. Boy was I excited. This was last night.

Wow what a terrible disappointment. They ruined it. Total ruin. No survivors. I love the original. It was even one of those I thought better left to memory, but I played it more recently and it was fun as hell. I played for hours. That game had some major technical limitations that they have overcome with this game and unfortunately that's what ruined it. In the original, tracks had to be flat and small. And the cars couldn't flip over. It was a 2d game and you were stuffed in this go kart track with hella cars. The graphics are even great.

In DD2, the cars can flip over and the tracks can have undulations. Sounds neat. The main problem is that the tracks are too big, both in width and length.You are fucking alone out there most of the time. And the ai just lap it. Fast. They don't make any nasty swerves to fuck you up like the first one. The just drive hella fast and occasionally mess up. That's the other problem - the speeds are too high. The cars handle a lot like the first game and that doesn't work out well when you are going like 3 times as fast. The ONE time I manage to line up a proper hit (side on at the hood or the trunk) on purpose, my car clipped right through and it may have been due the the crazy speed. Hits end up being rare and random. Car flying out of control is frequent and random. This game sucks. I bought thunder truck rally with this, about a year ago. I played that right away and it was total ass, too.

712U+Yunh2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Muffdraul

Nier Replicant. Just got to the 5 years later chapter and I'm honestly thinking of dropping it.
I know it's still early but a lot of of the stuff I loved about Nier: Automata seems largely absent here, replaced by C-tier horrible fantasy anime writing to the point it actually sours me on Automata which this is the canon prequel to. Combat is fine and I'm sure the really good parts likely come past "ending A" but I'm close to just watching it all on YouTube.
I played Replicant and Automata in order, but my first playthroughs were only about three years ago. I doubt I'll ever understand how anybody could prefer Replicant. To me it felt like such a cold, lifeless game. Whereas, ironically, Automata was just bursting with soul.

Dazraell

I've finished GTA 3 on Steam Deck. It was really cool to revisit it. A lot of gameplay mechanics has dated, but you can still feel the influence this game had on the 3D open world games genre

As for what I'm playing now, I'm hopping between Valhalla DLC to God of War Ragnarok on PS5 and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on Steam Deck

Valhalla is a fun experience. I'm not a big fun of roguelikes, but the format they adapted for it works very well and the story tied to it feels interesting. As for Dark Alliance, I barely started, picked Kromlech the dwarven fighter as the main character and making progress through sewers area. So far I like it, it feels like a very comptent hack'n'slash, although very simplified and with rather small locations

sedg87

Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga
I started this last night and I've made it to chapter 5. Really good. Solid mechanics, the art style is great and the music is of a particularly high standard. Just got a dragon in my party and unlocked some new classes.

Halls of Torment
Unlocked the cleric. I'm quite subpar with the swordsman and archer but seem to do okay with the exterminator. I managed to last thirty minutes and got creamed by the boss, unfortunately.

stn

I started Starfield (XSX), and played for 5 hours. Since then I've been side-tracked playing CP 2077 (XSX), particularly the new DLC. The game still has some flaws but its honestly quite amazing now after all the patches and improvements.

Jedi0608

Baldur’s Gate 3. Had some friends over yesterday and my one buddy is a huge DnD player, but doesn’t play video games. Anyway, they came over at the perfect moment. Bear scene. We were all dying hysterically as the choices and scene played out. Gonna remember that forever. Fantastic game, and a they got to see a small glimpse why it’s so deserved of all its praises.

Roberts

Finished The Invincible. Enjoyed it for what it is - a walking simulator like Firewatch, set on a mysterious and potentially dangerous planet. Surprisingly long (took me around 7-8 hours), but never really boring due to its immersion and all kinds of twists and turns. No puzzles really and the game pretty much tells you everything you need to do, but there are tons of exploration with missable achievements and moral choices that will influence the outcome - I just read that it has 11 endings. Writing can come off as a bit awkward but only really if you have never seen any of the Soviet and other Eastern Block sci-fi films from 60's and 70's where characters only communicate through a prism of science or progress instead of having casual conversations. Also, commie retro sci-fi visual aesthetic is pleasantly refreshing. 7.5/10

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I'm currently playing Evil West which will be in PS+ next week and, well, it's pretty crappy. The best part about the game are the graphics. You just have to take a screenshot here and there, because it's so pretty. The environments are also very diverse - there are canyons, woods, wild west towns, caves, mines, swamps and tons of other cool locations. Maybe some of them are too colorful for my taste, but that's something I can live with.
My main complaint with the game is that having and using all of the weapons and skills is very confusing. You have their icons on the screen, but they don't tell you shit and you're supposed to check their cooldowns and stuff in like split second. I would actually like for button prompts be next to them like in most other games to make things clearer. I thought I would get use to it, but I didn't and I'm over half way in the game.
I also hate how the game just spams you with monsters during most arena encounters, including the elite ones. You end up dodging A LOT and looking for ways to damage your enemies a little bit before the next dodge. It doesn't help that the game likes to bring former bosses as "common" elites (and sometimes more than just 1) and it makes some encounters too long and too exhausting.
Finally, I don't like how there's no objective marker, because you can easilly pick the "wrong" route and miss out on the collectibles & secrets (the game may create a new autosave and forbid you from coming back).
Overall I'm struggling to get to the end of this. It looked good enough on paper for me to buy the game, but I'm just not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

Last edited:
Started Octopath Traveller 2 on Switch. It's really good so far- a snappier, more polished and improved version of the first in every way. Still a lot of random battles tho but they're quick with minimal load times. Graphics are awesome, such a great artstyle Square has created and looks amazing on the Switch Oled screen.

Imagine an FF6 Remake with this style? Seems perfect for it. Been craving a good jrpg lately-was either this or Star Ocean 2 remake, still want to get that someday.

Only negatives so far are the battles have all been really easy. Is this a trend with all Japanese developers now? I think so after playing games like Mario RPG, Mario Wonder, Yakuza 7, Star Ocean 2r's demo etc...only 5 hours into the game tho. The aforementioned rate of random battles could be an issue for some.

Monster Hunter Rise [Series X]
So much gameplay depth - so much room for playing with skill - playing creative with a style all your own. So much to learn and master - and just a simple weapon switch turns the entire game into a different one. This is pretty much exactly what I want out of a videogame.

Since really digging into this one recently - I have a much greater appreciation of this game and series in general. The living ecosystem - the plantlife - how the animals feed - the million boss patterns and weaknesses to learn. The years long legacy of many of the monsters and their new modern day updates.

There's really nothing else like it in gaming. Yet another Capcom crown jewel series in their legacy of many.

The next MH, Wilds, is going to be amazing isn't it ..

sedg87

Lies of P
Beat the black rabbit boss - first boss with multiple foes. The last few areas of the game have been my favourite; I was worried that the areas and levels would look a bit samey but there's been some surprising variation.

Propagation: Paradise Hotel
Don't think I've bought a VR title in over a year so thought I should change that. Been trying to download it for the last few hours. Get to 137mb every time and then the download resets to 0. Also can't pause and resume downloads. The Quest 2 is so very poor in a few regards. Tempted to sell it to be honest.

Crayon

As for Dark Alliance, I barely started, picked Kromlech the dwarven fighter as the main character and making progress through sewers area. So far I like it, it feels like a very comptent hack'n'slash, although very simplified and with rather small locations

I have two very fond memories of this game separated by many years. One was in my young twenties. I had one friend who was raving about it. When he got me to play it, we played it outside on a summer night. Playing games outside is one of my favorite things. We used to smoke profusely and we used an cookie sheet on the ground as an ashtray. It was fun as hell.

The next time may have actually been champions of norrath ten years later. Me and my wife had very little money and when my launch ps3 broke. I was not too broken up. I plugged a a wii and ps2 into our small tv to roughly cover the functions of the ps3 between the two. My pc was a netbook and I could play emulators including dos games so I was fine. You could do the same way for me today and I would hope I didn't trip on it. Being grateful for what you have is very important, after all.

So at that time, she had just branched out in games. She always played games but is honestly a creature of habit and would generally go back to final fantasy 6-10, mario 64 , oot, and majora's mask. But recently, she had learned dual stick controls to play skyrim, which she became obsessed with. When the ps3 died, she played through sotn and that rocked her world. So after that she was much more open to looking for games new to her. That developed to today where she's got to have dragon's dogma 2 and elden ring, curious about wukong and enjoys watching a tekken match here and there. She can more or less tell if i'm playing well in a fighting game while putting aside the actual wins or losses. It's great!

Anyway with champions of norrath (pretty sure, now), That was the first of two games we ever played co-op. It was a great time. The second time we've played together is the game of BG3 we have going recently, which is already one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.

Wow that was a lot of words. I really went down memory lane there.

The next MH, Wilds, is going to be amazing isn't it ..

I only played MHW, solo, and not even the expansion. I thought it was brilliant, but there's a lot of stuff to play so I never went back for more.

I want to ask how much different is Rise to World? I was there when the first mh released in the states and I never got around to trying it, but I understand there is a pretty strong core that the game sticks to. So I guess to get more specific, I would put the question like is this game going to punch me with a real improved sequel feel? Like better everything aside from the core gameplay? Graphics, gimmicks, qol improvements, etc?

Corian33

Playing a smattering of stuff on PC.

System Shock remake which is great. No idea why people were whining about it being too difficult and old school. Yeah, you don’t get a quest marker showing you exactly where to go or a list of objectives, but there is a map, and literal signs on the walls, and audio logs that make it clear what you need to do if you pay attention.

Playing some Escape From Tarkov and loving the new map. Looks great with so much detail and feels much busier than other maps.

Decided to get the Final Fantasy I-VI Remaster bundle on iPhone. Figured that will be better than mindless scrolling all the time. Growing up I played FF VII and X but missed most of the others. Gonna enjoy watching the series evolve. And yes I could just do an emulator on PC, but I want to use my phone for gaming for once.

Last edited:

sedg87

Lies of P
Mad Clown Puppet Boss. Died a few times. It's that sorta mid-game Souls type boss that makes me wonder why I bother with games of this ilk. Another few goes before it gets traded in.

Forsete

Gran Turismo 7 - I hadn't played it in a while so I got to catch up on all the magnificent updates. Such a great game.

Ghost of Tsushima - Thought I should finish this sometime before the new game hits. 🤗

Naked Lunch

I only played MHW, solo, and not even the expansion. I thought it was brilliant, but there's a lot of stuff to play so I never went back for more.

I want to ask how much different is Rise to World? I was there when the first mh released in the states and I never got around to trying it, but I understand there is a pretty strong core that the game sticks to. So I guess to get more specific, I would put the question like is this game going to punch me with a real improved sequel feel? Like better everything aside from the core gameplay? Graphics, gimmicks, qol improvements, etc?
Im no ultra MH expert - but Rise is NOT going to give you that major sequel feel from World - its really more of the same. Many exact same monsters and patterns too. Actually many people prefer World.
Theres some neat but minor gameplay additions in Rise for my tastes but there are many many haters of Rise around the net for some reason. MH diehards are a bit crazy it seems.

Rise looks worse (switch exclusive to start, remember?) - but runs and plays smooth as butter on PS/PC/Xbox. Rise lacks the crazy environmental events and set pieces from World - at least that ive seen so far. Rise has some super fun bosses you would be missing out on by passing on it.

I really like both. Rise is ultra Japanese - in both setting, decor, music - if you're into that (I am). If you're into just expanding the MH boss rush - get it. 100s of hours of playtime in there for sure.

Overall, Wilds is probably the follow up youre looking for.

Last edited:

Crayon

Im no ultra MH expert - but Rise is NOT going to give you that major sequel feel from World - its really more of the same. Many exact same monsters and patterns too. Actually many people prefer World.
Theres some neat but minor gameplay additions in Rise for my tastes but there are many many haters of Rise around the net for some reason. MH diehards are a bit crazy it seems.

Rise looks worse (switch exclusive to start, remember?) - but runs and plays smooth as butter on PS/PC/Xbox. Rise lacks the crazy environmental events and set pieces from World - at least that ive seen so far. Rise has some super fun bosses you would be missing out on by passing on it.

I really like both. Rise is ultra Japanese - in both setting, decor, music - if your into that (I am). If your into just expanding the MH boss rush - get it. 100s of hours of playtime in there for sure.

Overall, Wilds is probably the follow up youre looking for.

Nice, I'll take a look at wilds. It makes sense that if I want to see something new it might have to take more than one sequel given the nature of the game.

In top played games the Mrs won em all. Hogwarts 100+ hours PS5, Animal crossing 150+ hours switch and 150hrs+ on Witcher 3 series X. Decided I'm gonna start playing more so gonna finally beat GTA V on PS5 (had on PS3, PS4 and and PC wish I was playing on PC as draw distance is terrible on console. Got armored core on series X to start and also picked up Chrono Cross on switch so looking forward to playing them.

Lies of P
Mad Clown Puppet Boss. Died a few times. It's that sorta mid-game Souls type boss that makes me wonder why I bother with games of this ilk. Another few goes before it gets traded in.
That mid-boss is probably the hardest in the whole game. Just take the stairs behind him to activate a Stargazer. Come back when you have Aegis Shield Arm LV1 and spam the weapon attack from behind the shield. Destruction Grindstone would not hurt either.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Lies of P: got to Exhibition Hall. Chapter 7. Gotta say I feel this is the best souls game since Demons Souls. The difficulty curve is actually much closer to normal. The technical performance and art design are phenomenal. The weapon skills, grindstone systems are not obscure and they're well done. There's a story. Side quests are actually doable without a guide. You dont have to wander through obscure areas forever just to find where to go.Really highlights how much dumb bullshit can be improved in these types of games. Hope this team branches out further into original game design next time. This game is great.

Last edited:

sedg87

That mid-boss is probably the hardest in the whole game. Just take the stairs behind him to activate a Stargazer. Come back when you have Aegis Shield Arm LV1 and spam the weapon attack from behind the shield. Destruction Grindstone would not hurt either.

I killed him a few tries after I posted this. Think I only got hit once or twice. The hardest thing for me was trying to find a window to attack as he seemed to recover pretty quickly. Thanks for the tips. I could do with another grindstone - only have the fire one at the moment.

Yerd

I have fired up several games, since I finished a single run of Aliens dark descent.

1. Death Must Die - (vamp survivors clone) addicted to this, I went based on steam reviews because the images made me think it was some anime sex game
  2. They Are Billions
  3. Dead Island 2
  4. Alan Wake 2

I killed him a few tries after I posted this. Think I only got hit once or twice. The hardest thing for me was trying to find a window to attack as he seemed to recover pretty quickly. Thanks for the tips. I could do with another grindstone - only have the fire one at the moment.
They are all sold by Pulcinella the Butler. You can expand the stock by finding Venigni Collections. One is in that burning Opera House.

Just started Live A Live. Honestly, my first impression of the game isn't great, possibly due to me choosing the caveman arc first. Someone suggested I start there... but yeah it's boring as all fuck right now, and communicating with pictures and grunts is, is something I guess. I hope this chapter is short.

Top Bottom