• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

OverHeat

« generous god »
X5G2opq.jpg

reektann

I'm a few hours into Spiderman 2 on PS5 and I'm really not sure why I'm playing it. It's the most VIDEO GAME video game ever, constant bleeps from my phone and things popping up and reminders telling me to spend a point. I also don't even think it looks that great in the 60fps mode - looks like its quite a low res on a 4k panel. I ended up switching to the 40hz one as it looks a lot sharper. I will give it a little more but I'm sure I enjoted Miles Morales a LOT more than this. A couple times I've managed to get up really high and for a moment the city looks really stunning in the fading light... then...RING RING..RING.. oh its some random bloke telling me about something....

Also started Super Mario RPG on Switch - one I never played on my SNES - probably because I had one of those Super wild Card devices and a billion games.... anyway - it is super charming and looks great on the OLED in handheld. I've really taken to playing the Switch exclusively handheld - I use a NeoGrip with it so it doesn't feel like I'm holding a plate, though and its night and day difference.

Resident Evil 4 I am doing a chapter every other day or so at night and it continues to delight on PC using mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
I'm sure I enjoyed Miles Morales a LOT more than this.
I finally got around to playing my launch day copy of Miles Morales about a month before Spider-Man 2. I had a great time. It reminded me of the fun I had with first Spider-Man game. Both of these games, I couldn’t stop playing until I had seen it all.

Spiderman 2 came and I have only played it for the first two days. Something about it just isn’t fun. I think part of it is, as you suggest, the constant barrage of notifications and “content”. There is always someone chattering about something. The other part is that the side-quests are dreadfully boring. Sneaking around the high school, setting up people on dates, taking photos… much of it is quite literally just going from dot to dot on the minimap.

It feels blasphemous, but I’ll probably sell my copy without touching it again.

Mr Hyde

Super Mario Wonder is just bursting with creativity. I'm on World 5 now and every level has been super fun to play through. It has a lot of charm, and it's also quite the looker. And for some strange reason, it makes me wanna play Super Mario 64 again. Maybe because it's also very creative. Or maybe it's just nostalgia. Either way, I want more Mario in my life.

reektann

Apor
I finally got around to playing my launch day copy of Miles Morales about a month before Spider-Man 2. I had a great time. It reminded me of the fun I had with first Spider-Man game. Both of these games, I couldn’t stop playing until I had seen it all.

Spiderman 2 came and I have only played it for the first two days. Something about it just isn’t fun. I think part of it is, as you suggest, the constant barrage of notifications and “content”. There is always someone chattering about something. The other part is that the side-quests are dreadfully boring. Sneaking around the high school, setting up people on dates, taking photos… much of it is quite literally just going from dot to dot on the minimap.

It feels blasphemous, but I’ll probably sell my copy without touching it again.
Good to know it’s not only me!

I was thinking of maybe just focusing on main missions and see if it feels better - as you said, a majority of the side stuff is incredibly lame.

Mr Hyde

Finished Super Mario Wonder. Probably the best 2D Mario ever. At least since World. It's so much fun with lots of creativity to it. Level design is ace, and it plays incredibly well. Looks and runs like a dream. Can't really find many faults here, it's almost a perfect 10/10.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

El Paso Elsewhere, almost at the end. The game just keeps getting better. Love it. Great story and cutscenes.

I actually changed the speed at level 36+ to 0.6x and it just fits. Makes your character feel even more on heavy drugs, and it gets the late game difficulty balancing just right.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I've been a fan of Amanita Design since I played through Machinarium and Botanicula, and I've been on a bit of a kick clearing out my backlog on Deck. Where those games were more akin to traditional point-and-click adventure titles, I recently finished Happy Game (horror) and just now finished Creaks. It reminded me a lot of Braid and The Swapper. The story starts out with a simple light bulb on the fritz and gains complexity as you get deeper into the game (literally). The puzzles are clever and varied and the ending sequence is brilliant as you realize what the beginning of the game actually showed you. It's all bolstered by Amanita Design's wonderful artwork. You can beat the game in a sitting or three and it is easy to recommend.

I did not get full completion of Super Mario 3D Land but I finished the special stages. Don't feel like playing all stages as Luigi and going for the flagpoles right now so I'm moving on to...

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury undocked in my comfy recliner.

I also ordered a dock for my steam deck so i can play games on my tv with a controller. Not too thrilled with Deck's dpad placement.

Last edited:

Davesky

I just upgraded to PS5 over Christmas and missed the majority of the last generation so been spending some quality time catching up with PS4 games available on PS Plus.

Demons Souls Remake - Replayed for first time in over 12 years, same game I remember and loved although it sorely misses its original soundtrack. The whole dark, gothic atmosphere to the game is gone. Still great experience nonetheless, there’s plenty to still be appreciated over its vastly superior sequel. It even looked great even on 1080p however will be waiting until my new TV arriving before trying out any other PS5 games.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Pleasentry surprised about this one. The first hour or so seemed cringe but it’s actually grown into a decent game so far, or maybe I have just been so long away from gaming that my standards have dropped. It definitely feels like I am playing a Tomb Raider game. I don’t think there’s any need for any sort of levelling up system though. Lara also talks too much and the HUD can also be annoying and distracting considering the vast amount of collectables littered around the map.

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy - Strange experience so far. It’s the same game I remember but it doesn’t feel like the game I remember and feels like a new experience. I’m still trying to decide if this is a good thing. I don’t know if it’s because of the upgraded animations but I seem to be constantly mistiming jumps and enemies. I also don’t remember the first game ever being this hard, seemed much easier as a kid.

Still to play:
Oddworld: Soulstorm
Doom
God of War
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Returnal
The Last Guardian
Call of the Sea
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Crysis Remastered

Plenty there to keep me occupied until FFVII Rebirth.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

I am VERY happy to add 2 new platforms to my rotation: a Deck and a Quest

Here's what I'm playing for the month of January:

Series X
Starfield
Forza Motorsport
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer

PS5
Talos Principle 2
Riders Republic
Spiderman 2

Deck OLED
EA PGA Tour
Star Wars Empire at War
Rise of the Tomb Raider

Quest 3
Moss 2
Red Matter
Guardians Frontline
(Will start Asgard's Wrath 2 later on when my VR legs improve and they add Quest 3 enhancements)

I was playing Cyberpunk. Got sucked into exploring Night City and working on my build. Reached level cap before doing the story; I lost steam once I actually started doing the main and side quests.
The story is cool so far, but I enjoyed the game much more when I was just exploring and upgrading my gear/cyberware. Haven't felt much connection to any characters aside from Jackie, Johnny Silverhand, and V (so far).

I also recently started my first playthrough of Chrono Trigger. I was 5 hours in and my saves got deleted (common issue from the Steam port, unfortunately). :(

Loving Super Mario 3D World. Many smiles per hour. I'm way worse at judging when I'm hovering over an enemy compared to 3D Land is my only real complaint.

Can't get enough Mario lately!

Mr Hyde

Can't get enough of Super Mario Wonder. Cleaning up post game and collecting Wonder seeds, discovering new levels and secrets, and tackling the Special World. Awesome game. It's so much fun.

stn

I finally did all the stupid collectibles in Gotham Knight (XSX), so now I just need to max my level and complete the DLC to finish the achievements. Once that's done, think I'll finally start Hogwarts Legacy (XSX) or maybe play the DLC in Tales of Arise (PS4).

Loving Super Mario 3D World. Many smiles per hour. I'm way worse at judging when I'm hovering over an enemy compared to 3D Land is my only real complaint.

Can't get enough Mario lately!

I really enjoyed 3D World, but Bowser's Fury is what really elevates that game. I'm super excited for whatever the next 3D Mario game will be like. 6 years since Odyssey and 3 since Bowser's Fury. We are at least half a year out from release so there's plenty of time for Nintendo to go all out and start off the right way with their next console.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Got into GTFO finally even though I’ve owned it for like 2 years?

Can safely say this is harder than any souls game lol. Nothing like it exists really.

The more I play and levels I beat I get impressed that it could be one of the best games ever made.

Makes me even more excited for their next project den of wolves.

ikbalCO

i realised that i have been a ps plus extra member since it launched, never played a single game on the collection, had a little mental breakdown about it and started playin Outer Wilds.

14 hours in and i feel like i am in the last act. I like the game a lot and doing my best to not look up any guides but it gets hard sometimes. Also I dont see how its been regarded as 10/10, goat etc. yet. But maybe the so called ground breaking ending will change my mind. So far, its a solid 7/10.
A little update

Ending did make it 10/10

Fantastic game.

Capitan Todd

Neo Member
Playing God of War Ragnarok at the moment. About 30 hours in and almost reaching the end of the story it seems. Combat is so satisfying, the environments and characters look beautiful and the story is quite fun. But the pacing of this game can feel so slow at times. I'm definitely enjoying it, but I won't replay this anytime soon.. Still curious about the Valhalla DLC after finishing up the story!

I am on my 5.5th run on RE4 Remake, only thing left is the S+ on Standard difficulty.
Already at the castle with 1 hour on the clock, easy. Just sucks that my Hardcore S+ didn't unlock the Standard trophy, lol.

Great remake.

Last edited:

Södy

Got the platinum in Red Dead Redemption on PS4 yesterday (must be my 10th 100 percent playthrough, my favorite game ever). 4k 60fps is awesome for this game. Started RDR2 afterwards but the checkerboard and 30 fps make the game not so fun to play on PS5. Going to play it on PC again, I guess.

Finished Super Mario Bros U Deluxe last week. Now on to get all coins. Not sure if I play Luigi U, feels a little boring.

Also finally started Pokemon Scarlet. Let's see if it really is as bad technically as a lot of people say.

Last edited:

Roberts

Finished Atlas Fallen. There is some stuff that I wasn't fond of, like most of the side quests were simple fetch quests, monster variety is super limited and your ghost god companion keeps on annoying you with hints (I couldn't find a way to turn it off). Also, more or less looks like early Gen 8 game with higher res and better lighting, but all in all I was totally into it. Fun traversal, fun fights that reminded me a bit of Immortals: Fenyx Rising because of all the verticality. It is not exactly an open world game with four zones of various sizes (a bit like Recore or Dragon Age: Inquisition but it feels like an open world game. It's not some kind of misunderstood masterpiece and there is a lot of jank in it, but I'm glad I played it.

Also, played Roboquest, a game that I somehow missed when it dropped on Game Pass and only played it thanks to a recent thread here. I'm not sure if I will have the patience to get to the end (the only rogue-likes I ever completed are Hades and Children of Morta), but I'm enjoying it a lot. Really solid shooting mechanics and it is fun trying out different robots and their perks.

Oh, and because my daughter was a fan of Figment 2, we played the first game a bit just as soon as it came out on GP a few days ago. More or less the same stuff, just slightly less memorable when it comes to music.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dead Island 2: I feel like I’m progressing very slowly in this, because I’m taking my time to explore as much as I can. That and fighting every zombie I see, which is pretty damn fun and nicely detailed.

My one complaint is I don’t like the look of the map.

Trek to Yomi: I’m really liking this a good deal. This is how cutting down enemies with a katana should be. A couple strikes and they drop. Also love the grey scale look, which is incredibly well done.

ManaByte

Gold Member
At the end of AC Mirage and probably going to Platinum it.

I couldn't even bother to Platinum Spider-Man 2. The side quests were so bad. But AC Mirage is fantastic. Love it.

Hohenheim

Recently finished Starfield and wanted a palette cleanser before the next big game, so started "Bramble: The Mountain King" on PC Game pass.

Very atmospheric and beautiful game! Really dark and gritty too.
Clunky controls, but a very exciting and cool experience. About 2 hours in, and there's some amazing cool stuff going on, at least for fans of dark nordic fairytales/fantasy.

ssringo

Gold Member

Well made 2d action game with a bit of "metroidvania" and wonderful pixel art. Uses a stamina bar for specific actions like dodging and firing arrows but not melee attacks.

If you played the previous game, Reverie Under the Moonlight, it's more of the same as far as gameplay goes. References prior games but not necessary to enjoy it.

AndrewRyan

Finished BDSM: Big Drunk Satanic Massacre. A fun old-school twin-stick shooter with sick humor. About 5 hours to complete.

Now playing Blast Brigade vs the Evil Legion of Dr Cread and having a great time with this metrovania. Uses twin-sticks as the firing mechanic with four playable characters. Feels like a blend of Hollow Night, Metroid Dread, Cuphead, and Metal Gear. Bosses are bullet-sponges but other than that a fun game so far. Pretty sure someone here recommended it so thanks to whoever it was. Also there's a demo.

Last edited:
Mopping up Guardians of the Galaxy to get the Platinum.

Really like this game but even I can see why it wasn’t an success. Way too much down time between actual gameplay and then the gameplay itself is pretty lukewarm…. Who did they think will buy this en masse? Anyway, it looks good still and boy do I love the writing and dialogue. Usually don’t laugh during video game but this one got me real good a couple times.

RAIDEN1

....So I missed it back in 2011, (maybe because I am not a fan of Daniel Craig being bond) but earlier today Bloodstone for the 360 got delivered, probably the first Bond game outside of Goldeneye I ever brought...(not counting the emulation attempt of the Cube era Bond games, on the Series X which didn't get me far at all..) I'll eventually see what makes this game the last great Bond game ever released in the past 10+ years.....this game, I won't consign to the backlog queue....Just a matter of finishing off Coffee Talk chapter 2 first, and Mass Effect 3....

Last edited:

reektann

9 hours or so into the Super Mario RPG remaster/remake on switch. It feels incredibly easy for some reason, maybe im used to insane JRPG's with a million buffs and debuffs? It looks really nice but it feels a little bit empty to me. Still entertaining though and at least Mario doesnt have a mobile fucking phone on him that the entire world keeps ringing like in Spiderman 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom