• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Dazraell

I'm playing Oblivion on Steam Deck. Installed some mods changing level scalling, unofficial patches, some adding more details to world and a few bigger story-driven ones, but tried to keep it limited to preserve the original experience. While I consider Oblivion as my least favorite The Elder Scrolls game, playing it with OOO mod is very fun. I'm not a fan of very slow levelling (which is even slower with this mod because of new enemies) and how samey dungeons can feel. That being said, I'm currently focusing on side quests, which are really solid and are definitely fun

Paltheos

Ranking up in SF6 (to hopefully masters).

In chapter 2 of Witch of the Holy Night, although that's even more of a straight story than a game with no choices than other, traditional visual novels. General impression so far is that it really shows off the modern type/moon money. I haven't played allot of VNs but this is far and away the best presentation on one I've ever seen. Nasu really needs an editor though - Most egregious inclusion was a minute-long bit about construction in the town that went far enough down the rabbit hole to include a quote from a local politician. And then the sentiments were repeated from another character POV with no real changes (this isn't the character's take on the layout of the city; it's the narrator interjecting both times so it really wasn't needed).

Kindela

Banned
Hogwarts Legacy, some 18 hours in.
I did not expect to like it this much. On paper it's a "been there done that" type of game, but the setting is so fresh and well realised it's really hard not to get sucked in.

The gameplay is fun, new mechanics are introduced at a steady pace, it's beautiful, the voice acting and facial expressions are sometimes really too good for this game, and the rpg lite systems are a joy to track.

It's not Witcher 3 quest wise, the characters and the story are super meh, but it's still a gem.

9 hours or so into the Super Mario RPG remaster/remake on switch. It feels incredibly easy for some reason, maybe im used to insane JRPG's with a million buffs and debuffs? It looks really nice but it feels a little bit empty to me. Still entertaining though and at least Mario doesnt have a mobile fucking phone on him that the entire world keeps ringing like in Spiderman 2.

I’m on the last star now and generally I agree. The beginning of the game kind of dragged, then it found its flow halfway through and was a lot more fun. I know what you mean about empty thought. It’s enjoyable but not on the same level as Paper Mario or the Mario & Luigi games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
grimgrimoire-oncemore-7.jpg

MacReady13

Just started Shadow Warrior 3 on Steam Deck. Like it so far. Goofy fun. And about to also start Evil West on Deck as well.

Get through those them I’m onto Prince of Persia. Hanging for another brilliant 2D Metroidvania.

reektann

I’m on the last star now and generally I agree. The beginning of the game kind of dragged, then it found its flow halfway through and was a lot more fun. I know what you mean about empty thought. It’s enjoyable but not on the same level as Paper Mario or the Mario & Luigi games.

I’ve rarely had to use literally any of the consumables you get and I never bother with any magic as the primary attack moves do so much more damage if you get the timing hit correct. Not sure if this is what it was like on the SNES or if they have dumbed it down a lot - I even had to check I wasn’t playing on “breezy” difficulty!

Still enjoyable though - just not what I’m used to.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Switching between Alan Wake 2 and The Beast Inside. AW2 just doesnt hook me like the first one did, I just wanna punch his stupid face. I actually prefer playing with Saga but all the mindpalace shit is a real drag. That level with the musical was corny as hell. Sam Lake really wants to be as pretentious as Kojima. Ill finish it tho. Even bought the deluxe with SP...

Beast Inside is alright for an indie horror game. It's crazy how many first person walking PT knockoffs there are. This one combines a original story with some fun gameplay. Worth the low price.

Mr Hyde

Finished Another World. A fan favorite from my childhood. Played this so much on the Mega Drive when I was young and I don't think I ever finished it. It was so damn hard, but still I loved it and I never got tired of doing the same things, dying over and over. The atmosphere was off the chart and what kept me invested. It was a unique concept at the time and the art direction, as well as the intriguing plot, were so damn good. And to this day, It still holds up after all these years, especially with the new remaster which stays close to the original, but with slightly enhanced graphics and sound. It's short and it's sweet, like a damn good cup of coffee.

Mobilemofo

I'm lost in a void. Re downloaded battlefield 2042, played one match, then deleted it. Couldn't be arsed. Re downloaded Arkham asylum..played 5 mins, then deleted it. Re downloaded control last night, and left it til today. I'm not sure what I want to play...fuckin annoying. I'm in some sort of gaming funk.

Fess

I'm playing Oblivion on Steam Deck. Installed some mods changing level scalling, unofficial patches, some adding more details to world and a few bigger story-driven ones, but tried to keep it limited to preserve the original experience. While I consider Oblivion as my least favorite The Elder Scrolls game, playing it with OOO mod is very fun. I'm not a fan of very slow levelling (which is even slower with this mod because of new enemies) and how samey dungeons can feel. That being said, I'm currently focusing on side quests, which are really solid and are definitely fun
How do you install mods on Deck?
I assumed I could use nexus and vortex but I can’t get the links to work. Saw some git build of mod manager 2 but I suck at Linux and can’t get anything working.
Is there an easy step by step guide somewhere?

Fess

In 2024 I’ve so far played:

Hollow Knight, playing with the kids beside me so it goes slow, no long night sessions. I’m currently at the challenge down in mantis village having been to the nailsmith. I like it more now than in my first playthrough. I think it’s absolutely phenomenal tbh, like top 10 all-time.

Cocoon, one of my top games last year. Near the end now. Pretty much loved it from the first second. Super unique game.

Hogwarts Legacy, went back to this after reading it had sold 22 million units and seeing it pop up on GOTY lists. Still think it’s overrated when it comes to gameplay but I do like the world building and design and general fantasy feeling. Might be better later, I’m still early on, level 11. Lock-on mechanic is super janky, biggest annoyance right now, and free controls feels like it has a ton of input latency.

Starfield, was my GOTY and I thought I was over it but Steam says 40 hours the last two weeks so maybe not. Over 250 hours total now. Mostly doing side stuff, been doing all factions except Crimson Fleet in this playthrough as a settler focusing on outposts. I could write an essay about everything I think needs to be improved but also an essay about all the things that still makes me love it. I don’t think there is any game out there quite like it. Excited for the new beta on wednesday kicking off the promised more frequent updates.

Dazraell

How do you install mods on Deck?
I assumed I could use nexus and vortex but I can’t get the links to work. Saw some git build of mod manager 2 but I suck at Linux and can’t get anything working.
Is there an easy step by step guide somewhere?

I was mostly following the guide from this video. It sounds scary at first, but is really straightforward. I was expecting much more problems with running mods

Long story short, you have to download Mod Organizer 2 from github page (the tutorial shows how to do it) and install a dedicated instance for Oblivion. There are various ways of installing mods, I just threw unpacked zip files to Data folder. You can find this path by opening it from Steam on Desktop mode. There were a few mods that had some options to pick after unpacking (like Better Cities or Unique Landscapes), so in this case I just threw zip files directly to Mod Organizer and it installed them automatically. I had most troubles with Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul as it has an .exe installer. I wasn't able to point nor copy the path where the game is installed, but I solved it by adding it to Steam, opening it on Gaming Mode via Proton Experimental, changing controller layout to mouse and keyboard, unpacking it to Downloads folder and moving installed files manually to Data folder on Desktop Mode. I also recommend downloading NorthernUI as it adds proper controller UI and it works like a charm on Steam Deck

Some small tips: you don't have to install OBSE as it's included with Mod Organizer 2, it's also worth to install the game on your drive not sd card. Make sure to also check if you own Oblivion GOTY or Oblivion GOTY Deluxe as only Deluxe version has all of these smaller DLCs like additional houses and horse armor. I had a "basic" GOTY version and one of the mods was depending on one of these little DLCs which caused game failing to run. Oh, and when you're running the game for a first time, make sure to set controls with mouse and keyboard so you can highlight mods you want to have on. Later on when you will be playing change to controller layout, the only downside is having to tap "Play" on Mod Organizer with your finger any time you run the game

Last edited:

Fess

I was mostly following the guide from this video. It sounds scary at first, but is really straightforward. I was expecting much more problems with running mods

Long story short, you have to download Mod Organizer 2 from github page (the tutorial shows how to do it) and install a dedicated instance for Oblivion. There are various ways of installing mods, I just threw unpacked zip files to Data folder. You can find this path by opening it from Steam on Desktop mode. There were a few mods that had some options to pick after unpacking (like Better Cities or Unique Landscapes), so in this case I just threw zip files directly to Mod Organizer and it installed them automatically. I had most troubles with Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul as it has an .exe installer. I wasn't able to point nor copy the path where the game is installed, but I solved it by adding it to Steam, opening it on Gaming Mode via Proton Experimental, changing controller layout to mouse and keyboard, unpacking it to Downloads folder and moving installed files manually to Data folder on Desktop Mode. I also recommend downloading NorthernUI as it adds proper controller UI and it works like a charm on Steam Deck

Some small tips: you don't have to install OBSE as it's included with Mod Organizer 2, it's also worth to install the game on your drive not sd card. Make sure to also check if you own Oblivion GOTY or Oblivion GOTY Deluxe as only Deluxe version has all of these smaller DLCs like additional houses and horse armor. I had a "basic" GOTY version and one of the mods was depending on one of these little DLCs which caused game failing to run. Oh, and when you're running the game for a first time, make sure to set controls with mouse and keyboard so you can highlight mods you want to have on. Later on when you will be playing change to controller layout, the only downside is having to tap "Play" on Mod Organizer with your finger any time you run the game

Tbh everything about this whole post is scary to me 😅
But I’ll look into it. I actually want mods for Starfield but I assume the procedure is similar.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m wondering if I’m playing Dead Island 2 correctly? I probably should get myself to the objectives, but I don’t. I explore every nook and cranny and fight every zombie in my path. Combat is just so enjoyable for me. I don’t remember Dying Light being this good, but maybe I need to revisit it down the road.
The gore system is so good. I hit a woman in the back with a rake, and it just tore a shred of flesh down to the bone. Just…damn.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Funny I came here to say that I started Dead Island 2 the other day and I'm finding it boring mostly because of the combat. It's just swinging weapons around over and over and over and over again. It's gotten so damn repetitive already and I've barely played all that much. Graphically, the game is really impressive though. I was not expecting it to look this good. I'll play another session or two and decide if I want to stick with it.

Crayon

I made a comment about the camera in BG3 a few weeks ago. Basically two problems- the environments get too vertical and complex for that camera controls they give you, and then there are situations where the camera does radical adjustments and you miss something as it happens. Even out of battle, it can be very frustrating how often you want to look up with a camera that can't quite look as high as the horizon.

Last nite, we were playing in shar's temple and this got bad. For people not familiar with the game, a single dungeon like this is a whole evening of playing or more. So really all day yesterday we were wrestling this camera. By the time we were done, we were mostly bitching about it instead of energized like usual.

I really wish I would have tested the 2p controller support on steam before buying the ps5 version. I figured being able to unsleep the game with both controllers connected and the load screens skipped would be the no-brainer option for a game we are specifically getting to play 2 player. I did NOT consider that I might want to mod something so badly.

I just thought about cross-saves and checked, and the game does have it. So at least I have the option now. I'll look into it.

Bloodborne, just got a ps5 to replay it and FFVIIRebirth.

finally getting around to the chalice dungeons and the rest of the DLC bosses. I've got about 300 hours on the game but submitted at the end not knowing what the correct choice was. I love this game. it's my first souls game so coming back to it after elden ring, ds1 and ds3 is a bit different.

Dazraell

Tbh everything about this whole post is scary to me 😅
But I’ll look into it. I actually want mods for Starfield but I assume the procedure is similar.
It's just a first impression, everything took me about 25-30 minutes to set up, with majority of time trying to figure out how to install that damn OOO mod lol

This should work for most of Gamebryo / Creation Engine games, but with Starfield you have to bear in mind that current mods are created without official toolset, so they're probably using some workarounds and may require some additional steps

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Mineko's Night Market. Once again, glad I ignored reviews. Probably the best Animal Crossing-ish game I've played. Starts slow but the gameplay loop turns to pure crack once it gets going. Fun once you have multiple options for crafting, mini-games while getting ready for your market run every Saturday. Didnt put it down all weekend.

I’ve rarely had to use literally any of the consumables you get and I never bother with any magic as the primary attack moves do so much more damage if you get the timing hit correct. Not sure if this is what it was like on the SNES or if they have dumbed it down a lot - I even had to check I wasn’t playing on “breezy” difficulty!

Still enjoyable though - just not what I’m used to.

Yeah basically the same experience, I think it comes down to early 90s game design. FF6 had the same problem of certain actions being meta and no point to using anything else. Still fun games but balance was way off. The weaknesses were the only time magic was worthwhile, and even then rarely worth the FP.

Paltheos

Witch on the Holy Night - Cleared chapter 5, part 2. The climax was spectacular. I'm an impatient audience so the first part of chapter 5 dragged here and there for me but the introduction of Flat Snark and the final battles were delights. The former is a grand and despairing visual delight, and the latter is as exciting as a clash of that scale and type should be.

Aozaki Aoko has become 'better Rin Tohsaka' to me. Nasu seems to have taken the character and removed one of her worst character flaws (as a reader): Her intense vanity. Aoko has the same pride, wit, and ruthlessness as her literary sister, but unlike Rin she doesn't care about her image (at least, it's not at the forefront of her mind and an end unto itself; she cares about her image insofar as it allows her to maintain control over a situation). The result is a character even sharper and jagged and I love her. She just wants to live her best life, man.

Soujuurou Shizuki's grown on me too. Seemed a little dull to me, at the start (unsurprisingly, given his background), but I appreciate the lengths and ways Nasu's gone in presenting him as simply unfamiliar with modern society. Repeatedly he's shown to not be unintelligent or unperceptive, just inexperienced. That the result - combining his near-alien cultural background with his general earnesty and politeness - is often a source of consternation and frustration for others is never not entertaining.

Deathloop (PS5) - This game got a lot of flack, but even I don´t know why, I´m loving it! It gives me somewhat a GoldenEye 007 vibes, with great artwork and a ton of systems to discover or unlock; Although the gameplay and stealth aren't that good - a little bit archaic and steep, for sure -, the story elements, the groovy design of Blackreef and whole uncover-a-conspiration stuff is great and mix everything well. I'm playing since last December and still enjoying it and finally understanding all the game mechanics.

Nioh 2 (PS5) - Playing this forever, now on PS5. Great game. I love it!

intbal

Just finished the Call of the Machine expansion for Quake 2 Remastered.
The final bosses arena was a bit of a disappointment compared to the gauntlet runs of the separate episodes, but overall it was excellent old school FPS combat.
The secret areas were top notch, especially The Casali Effect.

9/10

WoodyStare

Divinity: Original Sin

This is actually my first isometric RPG. With all of the positive word of mouth and awards Baldur’s Gate 3 has been getting, I decided to finally give the genre a shot and started with Larian’s older work. I’ll admit it took some time getting used to the gameplay, and it was initially very frustrating, but after a few hours it started clicking for me and now I’m having a lot of fun. The story is great so far, well written and very funny. I’m about 30 hours in and feel like I’m not even close to being finished, but I’m not complaining. Debating if I should jump right to the second game or Baldur’s Gate 3 when I’m finished.

Dead Space Remake

Never played the original, but this such a gorgeous game with some of the best audio I’ve heard. The 3D audio setting with headphones has made this a hell of an experience. Whenever I’m done with a chapter or two I take off my headphones and let out the biggest sigh of relief. I’m about halfway through Chapter 8 but I intend on finishing it very soon. I’d love to see this adapted into a movie.

Juza

Divinity: Original Sin

This is actually my first isometric RPG. With all of the positive word of mouth and awards Baldur’s Gate 3 has been getting, I decided to finally give the genre a shot and started with Larian’s older work. I’ll admit it took some time getting used to the gameplay, and it was initially very frustrating, but after a few hours it started clicking for me and now I’m having a lot of fun. The story is great so far, well written and very funny. I’m about 30 hours in and feel like I’m not even close to being finished, but I’m not complaining. Debating if I should jump right to the second game or Baldur’s Gate 3 when I’m finished.

Absolutely! Original Sin 2 is on a whole other level in every aspect! that game is a Masterpiece!

foamdino

Really enjoyed the Gran Blue Fantasy Relink demo. Going to have to work out FFVII rebirth vs Gran Blue timing...

Luckily the boy has just started GTAV so that will keep him busy for a while

Roberts

Dividing my free time between Robo Quest and Robocop (I swear it is not intentional).

I think I'm kind of done with Robo Quest - I have done pretty much everything you can do in it and to do remaining tasks I will probably need a guide. Anyway, a pretty damn good rogue lite.

Robocop is fun if a bit repetitious. Talking about graphics, it is kind of incredible how it can look both amazing and kind of shit at the same time. Some of the best lighting ever in a game (that second time you go back to Downtown during a cloudy day is how I always dreamed game lighting should look like). Anyway, I think one of the most interesting things about the game's story is that I tries to do what the first movie did by having a symmetrical structure - first scene is a mirror image of the last etc. I haven't finished the game yet so I don't know if really does that, but so far it looks like the developers knew about it and at least try to replicate it. It is kind of awesome.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  • Mineko's Night Market: Really enjoying this game. I'm in the 2nd half of summer. Two more weeks of paper-crafting and sewing before Fall. Just got the metal smelter and paper press so my options are going to expand a lot. Maxed out a couple villagers already with 5/5 quests done.
  • Gears of War 1 Ultimate: I'm very happily surprised. Haven't played this since the original release, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It really is crazy how much it invented that has really not changed at all. I forgot how well everything feels and how well everything controls. Doing the crouch run under heavy fire into a cover spot never gets old. Sniper rifle feels great. Grenades are still some of the best ever. Chainsaw feels great. Lots of neat co-op moments like moving the boat across the canal while your partner covers you, or using the spotlight to help them move through the bats. The game has a lot of a survival horror feel at times, pockets of low lighting and wrecked interiors. Better than I expected all around. Going to keep going through the series. Never played anything but part 1.
  • Little Goody Two Shoes: Playing it in small bursts. Still probably only 6 hours in. Art style is incredible.
  • Starfield: New game+4 completed. Taking a small break then doing +5.
  • Forza Motorsport: Still slowly going through it. Playing a few races a week.
  • Kirby Return to Dreamland: Not as good as the new ones, but I'm enjoying it well enough so far.
  • Super Mario RPG: Dreadfully dull. I regret buying this so far. Hope it gets better.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Super Castlevania 4.

My favorite 2D Castlevania, at least of the traditional CV-games pre Symphony of the Night. The graphics are superb, the level design is excellent, cool usage of Mode 7 and parallax scrolling. Overall, lots of cool effects that makes this such a huge leap over the 8-bit adventures. The gameplay is also very good, but it can be annoying with some of the jumps, resulting in unnecessary deaths. Some of the enemies are pretty annoying too, especially those with random movement that is hard to hit with the whip. Other than that, CV 4 is a bonafide cult classic. A true gem in the franchise.

hinch7

Just finished Dead Space Remake, which was brilliant start to finish. Never got around to completing the first game and this ones nearly a perfect action/survival horror for me. Going to start with my FFVII Remake playthrough before Rebirth.

Also playing MW3 Season 1, with just a couple sections to complete. So far pretty decent, but still lacking new, origional maps. Given up on WZ zombies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom