• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The only good Dark Souls game. So fun.

4f123e11ed38cfb43db76a43cdf63ca4ea29e21d743f0ff1.png

Johnny2Bad

I started RDR1 on the weekend on PS4. It's been awhile since I played the original but I was quite surprised by the quality of the graphics. I was expecting a straight port over with no improvements at all but they've obviously done something to this game. It looks almost as good as RDR2.

One thing puzzles me though. I seem to remember the game starting at John's ranch, shooting crows on the grain silo with Jack. Is it just me or did they change the story as well?

engstra

Wanted to try out a couple of games before they leave PS+.

Jett Far Shore: concept of exploring a new planet is cool but gameplay wise did not gel with me at all. Bailed after an hour.

Omno: this was right up my alley, relaxing puzzle/exploration platformer. Just finished playing it from start to finish and platinuming the game. People should definitely check it out.

Been trying to figure out the next big game I'm going to start up and setled on GTAV as I've never played it before. Gonna start that tomorrow.

bender

What time is it?
I started RDR1 on the weekend on PS4. It's been awhile since I played the original but I was quite surprised by the quality of the graphics. I was expecting a straight port over with no improvements at all but they've obviously done something to this game. It looks almost as good as RDR2.

One thing puzzles me though. I seem to remember the game starting at John's ranch, shooting crows on the grain silo with Jack. Is it just me or did they change the story as well?

You have the beginning confused for the end. While I think it does look nice, the LOD and pop-in can be distracting and the color palette is pretty drab.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Finished Nayuta no Kiseki.

Game gets allot better once you unlock most of the abilities. The gear roll is my favorite for the spider ball-ish shenanigans (you can even ride beams of light with the thing!). Some elements of non-polish: like the gear hold swinging you around like a madman, but overall fun time. I like the season gimmick to the game - reusing all the levels with wholly different environments and enemies and ramping up the difficulty for completion in each, usually naturally and only infrequently with cheap tricks like colored gates you need to hit switches to progress. One level has a huge pool of lava to navigate the first time you visit only to be replaced with quicksand in another season that you can drop down only in that (and another) season to reveal a completely different ruined underground area. Neat.

Game incentivizes achievement collecting by allowing in-game unlocks (higher movement speed, more seasons per stage, increased level caps, reduced mana costs) although NG+ difficulty can vary wildly. The winter time freeze ability seems like the best spell in the game (I didn't rigorously test all 24(?) spells though) and breaks allot of boss encounters completely, even on the highest difficulty. Final, final boss is a kick in the teeth on Infinite difficulty for being a massive HP sponge.

Story's really nothing to write home about and is clearly a victim of modern Falcom's tendency to overwhelm the player with text, but as an isometric action/platformer, this is just what I wanted from Falcom. Not quite up to Felghana's level but it's in the same category. It also comes from that era of design where every piece of armor and weapon all had radically different designs that changed your appearance in-play and the endpoints are these over-the-top, badass pieces of gear. Love it.

OST on the whole is weaker than Falcom's average, but considering Nayuta itself seemed to be born from leftover assets at the company, I'm not surprised it didn't get A-level treatment. It is kind of funny though that about half of my favorite music tracks are from a guy who hadn't been at the company for 5 years by the time this game came out (Takeshita is a legend). This has not been unusual in the many games Falcom has released with Takeshita leftovers but it never ceases to amaze me.

Just about done completing every Falcom game in English available on Steam (25 total). All that's left is Zwei 2.

Dazraell

There also the pseudo-sequels champions of norrath 1&2. Just in case you're looking for four whole games worth ha.
I just looked them up and they sound really intriguing! I was also surprised to learn that it seems The Bard's Tale from 2004 is also based on the same engine

Crayon

I just looked them up and they sound really intriguing! I was also surprised to learn that it seems The Bard's Tale from 2004 is also based on the same engine

Starting from BDA the engine was one of the more impressive on PS2. By Champions 2, it was practically magic. The image quality in particular, so it's tough to fully appreciate how good it was on a pc version or emulator.

reektann

Been playing Star Ocean Second Story R on the Switch OLED since just after Christmas. Finished it this morning and I really really enjoyed it. I ended up pretty OP by the end of it as I spent a lot of time doing all the little side bits but I still somehow seem to have missed 2 or 3 characters somewhere. I really enjoyed the frantic combat and a billion things exploding on screen at once, had a very moreish feel and it all looked superb on the OLED in handheld, never even touched it on docked.

Roberts

Tried to get into BG3 for the second time and it simply doesn't click with me which is weird because I loved the shit out of both Divinity: Original Sin games. I kind of don't like the way it looks and most of the characters irritate me but I guess for now it is most likely my, not their, problem. Will try again at some other time.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

The rebooting system mini game in Battletoads is probably the worst fucking game "segment" I've ever had the pleasure to play. The game was fun up until this, and now it's just god awful. What the fuck were they thinking?

Mitsurux

Having just completed the Pokemon DLC over the holidays I've turned my attention to:

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising (Switch) - Was gifted this for Christmas and have just started playing (3 hour in so far) its combat is rather simple but the game has charm to it, helping to rebuild the town is fun, quests are not to long or over complicated. (Now looking forward to the release of EC: Hundred Heroes)

Tales of Arise (Series X) - Jumped back into my play though after being side tracked by Pokemon. Really have been enjoying this one, characters and story are pretty good, and the combat is fast and flashy (about 15 hour in so far)

Kinda late to the party on both.. i guess... LOL

sedg87

Symphony of War: Nephalim Saga
Just cleared chapter 11 and still enjoying it. Started to unlock some of the better classes/jobs.

Witch's House MV
Decided to grab this before it went off sale. Frog 😭

Mr Hyde

Finished Battletoads. First game of 2024. Took around 4 hours, so not very long. You could do it in one sitting. It was charming and had some very funny writing, but the mini games were hot trash and dragged the game down. It should've only consisted of the 2D brawling, the turbo tunnel sequences, the platforming levels and the shmup segments, then it would have been so much better.

I remember this game being raked over the coal when it was released, but honestly it wasn't that bad. It could have been longer though, I wouldn't mind if it was at least 7-8 hours long. But for what it was, I'd give it a solid 7/10. I guess a sequel is off the table since it got mediocre reviews and fan reception but I think these toads have more to give.

Last edited:

GameCritic

Neo Member
Finished Battletoads. First game of 2024. Took around 4 hours, so not very long. You could do it in one sitting. It was charming and had some very funny writing, but the mini games were hot trash and dragged the game down. It should've only consisted of the 2D brawling, the turbo tunnel sequences, the platforming levels and the shmup segments, then it would have been so much better.

I remember this game being raked over the coal when it was released, but honestly it wasn't that bad. It could have been longer though, I wouldn't mind if it was at least 7-8 hours long. But for what it was, I'd give it a solid 7/10. I guess a sequel is off the table since it got mediocre reviews and fan reception but I think these toads have more to give.
Yeah solid game that.

xrnzaaas

Desperados 3 on the PC with an Xbox controller.

This game is truly enjoyable, and my time spent does not feel wasted.

It's a shame Mimimi closed down!
As much as I enjoy playing games with a controller in my opinion Desperados 3 is better played with a mouse (provided you have the option). There are many instances where you have to perform a specific action, like pick up a certain object/body or use a ladder. It becomes super problematic when there are other interactive objects next to it, because you don't have a classic cursor. And sure, you can always rely on the active pause, but it's still not very comfortable.

Dazraell

I've finished Valhalla DLC to God of War Ragnarok. What a ride. It was a fantastic DLC. I don't even like roguelike games but this format worked really well for this story

Currently playing The Outer Worlds on PS5 and Ground Zero campaign to Quake II Remastered

Outer Worlds feels right home with its New Vegas-like gameplay, although the beginning was very dull so far. Ground Zero expansion is one of the weakest Quake II campaigns I've played so far. Definitely lacks the same punch as main campaign

Just bought RoboCop because I don’t train this weekend and have some spare time. Will start later when I’m back from work.

Hope the hype was justified and the game entertaining.

ikbalCO

i realised that i have been a ps plus extra member since it launched, never played a single game on the collection, had a little mental breakdown about it and started playin Outer Wilds.

14 hours in and i feel like i am in the last act. I like the game a lot and doing my best to not look up any guides but it gets hard sometimes. Also I dont see how its been regarded as 10/10, goat etc. yet. But maybe the so called ground breaking ending will change my mind. So far, its a solid 7/10.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

I also played it recently. I play a lot of crappy beat em ups and this isn't one of them. It's actually pretty solid. I'd like a sequel as well.

Tales of Arise (Series X) - Jumped back into my play though after being side tracked by Pokemon. Really have been enjoying this one, characters and story are pretty good, and the combat is fast and flashy (about 15 hour in so far)
I’m also playing this and probably about as far as you. The game performance is making me wish I had an Xbox. It appears to run noticeably smoother on Xbox.

I enjoy everything about it except the battles with the lords, which are tedious and made worse by the party members’ (lack of) AI.

Inching toward the end of Super Mario 3D Land. Well the end of Secret World 8 or whatever theyre called.

"There's an extra level you unlock if you earn yourself all five stars on your file. You get one for beating Bowser. You get two for beating each level as both Mario and Luigi. You get the fourth for getting the golden flagpole in all levels, and rhe fifth for getting all the star coins."

This will not be happening!

Roberts

Over the xmas break I watched a bunch of 'girls w/ guns' Hong Kong movies from the 80s. Yes Madam, In the Line of Duty 3 and 4, Millionaire Express, Magnificent Warriors... so now I'm replaying Sleeping Dogs on my Series X.
Ha, I just watched all four movies on the In the Line of Duty boxset. I think Royal Warriors is my favourite. Anyway, fond memories playing SD.

In other news, almost finished Atlas Fallen. It's refreshing to see an open world game that is relatively short. I'm doing pretty much everything there is to do and it took me less than 30 hours.

Girls with guns movies from Hong Kong. Sounded like something I should impulse buy but I see a couple of them are on Prime Video.

Still slaving away at Mario 3D Land. Some more star coin hunting then the last stage. Finally. I played all day!

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Finished Under the Waves. Liked it, perfomance is dodgy and all around the place on SX. Had it quit on me like 5 times! Game is slow and it can get annoying but I liked the mood enough to keep going. Not worth the full price imo but got it on sale for 15 bucks I believe.

Last edited:

reektann

Started Spiderman 2 on PS5. It's ok so far, the swinging and gliding feels fun and im not treating it like some amazing life changing game, entertaining. Downside is I have never received so many phone calls in a video game ever.

Started RE4 Remake on PC - wow, playing this ultrawide using mouse and keyboard and it feels so incredibly tight. Capcom are absolute masters with these remakes, I only played through RE4 for the first time a couple years back and this feels entirely fresh - it has such a good pace to it and I'm slowly realising it pays to be on the move constantly and not trying to funnel into a corner.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  • Little Goody Two Shoes - love it so far.
  • Gears of War - started up part 1 last night. Going to try and go through some of these this year. I forgot how this is really the 1st cinematic shooter and started it all. Holds up pretty well so far. I've died a few times on normal already which is kind of a nice surprise.

Kdad

I've probably started and not completed FFVII PS1 10 times in my life....

So here I am playing FFVII Remake Intergrade now...maybe I'll get it done (only 1/3 of the OG right?)

Dr. Suchong

Gold Member
Yakuza Kiwami.
I made the mistake of playing it straight after Zero last year.
I was burnt out from Yakuza and it didn't help that Zero was such a tough act to follow, what with it being the best Yakuza game I've ever played in the series.
So a year on I came back to it (Zero, hazy in my memory so's not to compare the two) and it's great to be in Kamurucho again.

reinking

Gold Member
I just noticed that both Townsmen and GT7 were on sale for PSVR2. I grabbed both of those so I will give them ago along with 7th Guest I purchased during the last sale and have not tried. I also have a few Quest 3 games to try out. It looks like I am going to spend most of my weekend in VR.

Mr Hyde

Tried to get into Elden Ring again in anticipation of the expansion but noped out shortly after entering Limgrave. The thought of replaying such a massive game just makes me exhausted and, somewhat, irritated. I think I'm burnt out on open world games. I hope Miyazaki steers his ship towards linear Souls after Elden Ring.

Killjoy-NL

Got bored and decided to try out Path of Exile, since it's free and for some reason PoE2 had already got my interest.

Always thought these kind of games looked lame and nerdy, but have to say I'm really enjoying it.

Decided to go for a necromancer build and just got some plague-like spell as well, but still need to figure out how that skill-tree is branching.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tried to get into Elden Ring again in anticipation of the expansion but noped out shortly after entering Limgrave. The thought of replaying such a massive game just makes me exhausted and, somewhat, irritated. I think I'm burnt out on open world games. I hope Miyazaki steers his ship towards linear Souls after Elden Ring.
I'm the opposite, I cant stop playing Elden Ring....I make new build and do two playthroughs with it and start fresh and make new build. I did this 3 times in 2023.

I have unhealthy addiction to this game for some reason.

Radioskugga

I'm playing Final Fantasy VII Remake/Intergrade on PS5 to get the platinum trophy.
Never did that on the PS4 Pro. My save file was from 2021 so I decided to start from scratch.
Playing in the 60fps mode is soo good. :)

LastBattle

Returnal
I’m at the very beginning of biome 5. Biome 4 was a bitch to get though for me, but managed to clear the boss first try. Boss 1 and 3 gave me a little trouble, but for me the difficulty is getting to the boss rather than the boss themselves. This games a masterclass in shooting and level design. House Marquee have become one of my new favourite developers. Looking forward to trying some of their back catalogue. Can’t wait to see what they have cooking next!

Jusant
Completed this a couple of days ago. Brilliant little game. Loved the climbing mechanics and the story, even though it was told through letters left by previous residents of the tower, still a great little story. Super chill game to play and relaxing to play.

Astros playroom
Also competed a couple of days ago. Just have a couple of collectables and trophies to clear fully. This will be my first Platinum on my PS5. Such a cool celebration of the PlayStation brand. Game had me smiling alll the way through with all the little nods to all their franchises over the years. Astros rivals Nintendo on the innovation and platforming front. Asobo have some serious talent and I can’t wait for what’s next from them (please don’t make it VR exclusive).

Also has to be mentioned how good the Dualsense feels and is implemented. Just a delight to experience.

Amnesia: Bunker
Completed about a week ago. One of the better survival horror games I’ve played in recent years. Personally I didn’t find it particularly scary and found the creature stalking you a little annoying, however loved the connected level design and progression. Plays very much like Alien Isolation which I dropped ages ago because I found it too stressful. Bunker has
Made me want to return to Alien Isolation and try to push through. Maybe I won’t find it as scary now that I have some experience under my belt from playing Bunker? If you enjoyed Alien Isolation give Bunker a try. Also loved the WW1 setting.

Spider-Man Remaster:
Finally have gotten around to starting this. I had it on PS4 but for whatever reason never got around to it. Had to fork out AU$25 to upgrade which felt a little dirty, given what I’m used to how Xbox handle upgrades. Looks “Amazing” on the PS5. Very early but hooked already. I got the Spider-Man 2 PS5 bundle, but want to play through 1 and Miles before playing 2.

The Gunk
Downloaded but haven’t played yet. After playing through Jusant, I want to pay another short easy to play indie game. It’s been on my list since release and it’s time to give it a try. I’ve heard mixed things, however want to try it for myself.

I’ve been busy gaming wise over the Christmas break 😎

Top Bottom