• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Out of town so been playing a lot of Dragon Age 2 on the steamdeck with some form of custom contoller config. The repeated dungeon layout doesnt bother me much now its effectively portable pick up and play.
It's crazy, but I've grown fonder of DA2 the more I remember it. Definitely wasn't perfect (and the art style change reveal did no favors), but I did like it.

My main memory of it was a ton of the mages you met definitely wanted freedom and not do bad things but all ended up being blood mages doing no good. Templars were no boy scouts either...they all sucked.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Watched through the Fallout TV serie and just started playing Fallout 4. Only at the beginning, went through my old neighbourhood and walked toward the next objective and got a dog. It’s such a boost in interest after having seen the show, previously I’ve always thought this IP is pure boredom.

Really liked the character creation and what they did with the bathroom mirror and small talk between the two. Unique!

Graphics is dated. I need to find some mods. Please post any recommendations for visual upgrades besides the high resolution texture pack that is already installed.
And it looks extremely dark on the Steam Deck, don’t know if it’s the OLED. Are there any good reshade mods? I have max brightness on the Deck right now. Night time looks like crap.

Crayon

Done with FF7 OG. About to jump into FF8. All the talk about the junction system and enemy scaling is worrying me though.

Okay here's the key to junction- don't try to optimize it. The whole thing is a drag like that.

It's unfortunately going to incentivize farming enemies to stockpile spells, and then to never cast those spells. It's sucks.

But if you let the difficulty be your guide it works much much better. Take note of what spells can be drawn from enemies along the way, take what you need, and move on. Don't be afraid to cast them because there are always infinitely more and they keep getting better as you go. So just go.

One of my favorite FF games and I feel like I could start it again right now.

Last edited:

Crayon

Powerslave is a fucking beast. This is probably much easier with a kbm or even controller on the recent release. I'm playing on a Saturn.

Actually I should try the 3d pad because my hands are cramping.

Edit: wtf why did I not think of using the 3d pad before. It's fully supported and feels great. So dumb :lollipop_anguish:

Last edited:

Fredrik

Back on Baldur's Gate 3 after finishing Ghost of Tsushima. BG3 has GOAT vibes.
Wish I could feel it too. But it put me to sleep, literally. One of my biggest disappointments after all the hype, bought it twice and missed the refund window twice too. Just not for me.

Last edited:

darth.shrimp

Gold Member
Currently playing the original Secret of Mana on emulator.

Just got the light spirit, but although I'm reserving my final comments for after I've beaten the game... so far it's a bit of a let down, really. It's like it was made by completely different people than Seiken Densetsu 3.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Hauntii continues to surprise. Literally lost my whole Saturday to this game. I think I'm only half way. These levels just keep going, packed with stars to get almost like Mario 64. But nothing about this game controls like Mario.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Okay I would say i’m more than half way through disc 1 and the junction system is not as bad as I thought. Dare I say i’m enjoying it way more than FF7? Also 2 years between 7 and 8 and honestly the visual difference is just striking. I don’t want to jinx it, though.
Credits..

What a journey. Truly amazing. Among the best FF games to me so far. Now that i’ve finished VII and VIII back to back. I prefer VIII.

Now I will jump to 9.

Okay here's the key to junction- don't try to optimize it. The whole thing is a drag like that.

It's unfortunately going to incentivize farming enemies to stockpile spells, and then to never cast those spells. It's sucks.

But if you let the difficulty be your guide it works much much better. Take note of what spells can be drawn from enemies along the way, take what you need, and move on. Don't be afraid to cast them because there are always infinitely more and they keep getting better as you go. So just go.

One of my favorite FF games and I feel like I could start it again right now.
Thank you for the comment. It was really great. Like you said I tried not to bother to optimize the junction system too much. I saw myself using auto junction a lot while not ideal from what i’ve read online, but it did the job. Now I will be moving to 9.

Please let me know if you have things to say about it if any. Thanks again.

Crayon

Credits..

What a journey. Truly amazing. Among the best FF games to me so far. Now that i’ve finished VII and VIII back to back. I prefer VIII.

Now I will jump to 9.

Thank you for the comment. It was really great. Like you said I tried not to bother to optimize the junction system too much. I saw myself using auto junction a lot while not ideal from what i’ve read online, but it did the job. Now I will be moving to 9.

Please let me know if you have things to say about it if any. Thanks again.

Glad you enjoyed it!

9 is not my favorite but it's execution as a game is near flawless. No apologetics or disclaimers needed. That game will take care of you!

SunnySideGuy

Neo Member
Been in a weird rut with gaming lately but picked up Remnant 2 after beating the first game a few months ago. The amount of variety in the level design, weapons, and just never really know what youre going to run into has been a breathe of fresh air. Very cool game so far.

BouncyFrag

tumblr_inline_miwp9vxU1k1qz4rgp.gif

I just played Dragon's Dogma 2 on PS5 but I gave up after maybe 40 hours. It's just such a mediocre, amateurish, annoying and boring game in every possible aspect. Can't recommend it to anyone really.

After that I started playing Baldur's Gate 3, also on PS5 and holy shit... It's so great it's going to be hard to play any RPG after this. I haven't felt this excited over a game in many many years, it's a true masterpiece. The story, the gameplay, the battles, the characters, the overall writing, the acting, the freedom, the choices, the music.. Wow, just wow.

Last edited:

Roberts

Finally finished the main story of Jedi Survivor and most likely will come back to pick up some leftovers. Love the gameplay and level design so much that it's 100% in my 2022 top 5 despite a lot of noticeable jank. I'm also not a very big fan of the storytelling and writing in general in this - felt like something Insomniac could have written and I'm not a fan of their writing at all. I like the characters as such but they are thrown into a story that is as dull and by the book as it is predictable.

Persona 3 reload. Not as good as P5 but you can see how the franchise really grew. I don't mind the 1 dungeon thing but the overall story seems to be very lack luster. Overall not a bad game but would have expected more based on how people talk about it. I'm in the last 3 months so we will see how it wraps up.

Crayon

Finished powerslave last night and inadvertently got the good ending. I guess you can go back for one more round of collectables but fuck that. Game was way longer than I anticipated!

So with that and stellar blade, that makes two games that were supposed to be shorter before I get into rebirth. I'm very excited about playing it but waiting for the right time to experience the full glory. But speaking of full glory... PS5 pro is probably here within six months and I heard the game could use it. Idk if I'm even going to buy that so I'm trying to put that out of my mind. Even holiday break is like 5 months and that would be nice.

I just need to take a 3 day weekend after I spend the next few to do other things that life has to offer other than play games. 😊 Playing some bangers lately, though. Solid wins other that Tekken 8 which in itself was fun before I got back in my groove and the issues started becoming glaringly apparent.

Edit: omg I just realized we are taking the 4th and 5th off for a 4 day weekend!!!! That's when I'll start rebirth!!!!! So excited!!

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
722578ea-0dd1-40a6-a08a-364cc4a2a15d.png
Blue Dragon just gets more fun the more I play it. It's actually a rather simple game, on the level of Dragon Quest, but combat is still fun. When I cast trapdoor on my guardian and watched the entire enemy team kill themselves on it, my mind was blown. So great.

I was hoping to finish the game before Trails through Daybreak in two weeks, but I'm not sure if it can be done. I have played for almost 30 hours and am still on disc 1. I guess the game is accelerating now that I can end battles more quickly as I get stronger, but goddamn. Another aspect similar to (modern) Dragon Quest.

I just played Dragon's Dogma 2 on PS5 but I gave up after maybe 40 hours. It's just such a mediocre, amateurish, annoying and boring game in every possible aspect. Can't recommend it to anyone really.
I concur. A shame, as I actually enjoyed the first game. It's as though they did a remake of the first game (even has the same plot?), but somehow managed to make it worse.

FF9 two hours in and the beginning is very slow.
I haven't full devoted myself to the game, but I once booted it up and played for an hour or so just to get a feel for it. I simply ran around that starting town the whole time. I don't even think there was a battle.

bender

What time is it?
I picked up a Fanatical bundle for Blade of Darkness and since I can't get that running/controlling well on my Steam Deck, I've been checking out a throw-in game from that bundle called Maniac. It's basically Vampire Survivors meets top-down GTA which makes a lot of sense since rampages are a big draw and really fun in GTA. I'm not sure this game nails everything yet (particularly in difficulty) but I've been enjoying myself and I keep thinkin to myself: "Why didn't anyone think of this before". It runs really well on the Steam Deck too.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I am bouncing between a bunch of games

Little Misfortune, PS5
Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Switch (durr), I got some DLC for it
Stellar Blade, PS5, on the final bit
Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition, PS5
TUNIC, PS5, what a joy this game is
Metal Slug Anthology, PS5, this game was before my time but WOW is it fucking awesome

Alpha Male

Well I'm 47 and have been playing on consoles my whole life...and for the first time ever I'm now a PC gamer too...really just for strategy games mostly and a few older games that need resolution and frame rate boost. I've always been intrigued by the Total War games. Being able to play console strategy games like XCOM and Age of Wonders on PC at a high resolution and frame rate is great! I have been on a strategy game buying spree on Steam for awhile:
Total War, Homeworld, WARNO, Sins of a Solar Empire, Endless Space, Stellaris, Star Wars Empire at War, Warhammer Battle Sector, Steel Division, Front Mission & more...

Anyway here is what I'm playing ...

Series X
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer
Forza Motorsport
EA PGA Tour
Super Mega Baseball 4

PC
Star Wars Empire at War
Total War Medieval 2
WARNO

Hrk69

Gold Member
Dragon Quest 11

Dropped it today. I hate it when games have huge sections where you don't play as the main character

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Finished Hauntii. If the Xbox clock is accurate about 19 hours, but I scoured every area for all the secrets and didnt look up anything. Game is seriously fantastic. No way this isnt in my top 10 for the year. One of my favorite indie games in recent memory. Gets a 9 from me. Just a couple small complaints that are barely worth mentioning. Highly recommended.

Humdinger

I finished A Short Hike. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. I actually enjoyed the relaxed pace, the humor, and the simple, wholesome nature of the game. Took me about 4 hours to complete. It was my first "cozy" game in a while, and it left me wanting more.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I gave Days Gone a second chance, and absolutely hated it. The protagonist is a fucking retard.
Some context would help clarify this absurdity. He may not be a genius, but he has unique skills that make him the one person survivor camps turn to when shit hits the fan.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Some context would help clarify this absurdity. He may not be a genius, but he has unique skills that make him the one person survivor camps turn to when shit hits the fan.
Just listen to his speech. Dude comes across as an idiot. All the muttering underneath his breath, made me wonder if people cared what the Doofus had to say.

foamdino

Finished Unicorn Overlord - what a great game, really enjoyed it as a big change of pace from the usual games I play

Now starting down the rabbit hole of Trails of Cold Steel (PS4 version on PS5) - so far I'm loving the characters, the story seems intriguing too - given how long these games are, I suspect I'll be on this one until at least when Astrobot launches.

Top Bottom