• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Gandih42

Finished FF7 Rebirth - absolutely loved it and was very tempted to dive straight back into Chapter 1 on Hard. Did all side-quests and almost all mini-games so it took me quite a while to get there (~110 hours) and despite hurting the pace a bit, I would say it was still totally worth it. In fact, bee-lining it on Hard mode makes me excited to enjoy the story in a much more straightforward way.

Also finished Chants of Senaar with my girlfriend, after a long long hiatus. Brilliant and very satisfying puzzle game, I'm honestly blown away at how well the difficulty and challenges have been designed. Never got too frustrating and consistently felt extremely rewarding, without being too easy. Also just looks gorgeous, has great music, and interesting themes.

Now I'm mucking about a bit more with Inkulinati. Its actually quite addictive once you unlock the unit roster and can try to build-craft on each run. I would definitely recommend the higher difficulties though, if you really want to be engaged. There's a ton of mechanics and its really fun being challenged between loads of good and bad options each turn.

Once I'm done with that, I'll have to make a tough choice. Elden Ring DLC or SMT:V Vengeance, alongside the FF7 Rebirth Hard-mode run. I seriously doubt I'll need to buy any more games to keep me occupied this year.

Dazraell

I just wrapped up AC Rogue replay, last time I played it was over 10 years ago. Nice game overall, although much weaker than Black Flag. I liked how story connected to other North American games and also how smoothly bridges it with AC Unity. What also impressed me is environment design. Landscapes are gorgeous, varied and very memorable. Had a lot of fun exploring North Atlantic and River Valley areas. Didn't liked how buggy this game was though. I was replaying some of the other AC games recently and the amount of small glitches, bugs and situations where I had to reload the past save or even turn off the game and start it again in Rogue was on a different level

The next games I'm planning to play are Half-Life 1 and The Thaumaturge

Gandih42

I just wrapped up AC Rogue replay, last time I played it was over 10 years ago. Nice game overall, although much weaker than Black Flag. I liked how story connected to other North American games and also how smoothly bridges it with AC Unity. What also impressed me is environment design. Landscapes are gorgeous, varied and very memorable. Had a lot of fun exploring North Atlantic and River Valley areas. Didn't liked how buggy this game was though. I was replaying some of the other AC games recently and the amount of small glitches, bugs and situations where I had to reload the past save or even turn off the game and start it again in Rogue was on a different level

The next games I'm planning to play are Half-Life 1 and The Thaumaturge

I've got Thaumaturge wishlisted on PS5. Game and its setting sounds really cool (especially having visited and really enjoyed Warsaw). The videogame industry in Poland has really started to kick ass with all kinds of cool indie-to-medium sized devs with cool and creative projects (recently played and loved both Inkulinati and Evil West).

Hope you enjoy it! (and that it comes to consoles soon)

Last edited:

LastBattle

Finished Dead space Remake. God I hope they remake 2. Started a NG+ just to unlock the Valor Suit upgrade. Tempted to play it through again and focus on some new weapons. Hard to justify with so much to play though.

Back to FF7 remake to finish up next.

Downloaded Rift Apart, though haven’t started it yet.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Went through more levels of Lamplighters League last night. Game is seriously hitting every stealth itch I have. There are multiple missions I've cleared totally ghosting it which is great, since there's 2 dozen enemies on the screen and it seems nearly impossible, and they clearly set it up for most people to get in some fights. I've ghosted levels where I wish I just took my thief alone instead of the 3 man crew because I'll accomplish the objective and then the hardest part is getting my bruiser and gunner out safely lol. Even escaping after being discovered is damn fun. Had to do staggered retreats with 2 characters taking overwatch positions at various distances to lay down cover fire while the others bolted for the escape vehicle.

Finally encountered the Doomsday Clock. So far, it's really not an issue. I just select the mission that lowers it the most every time and it's been fine.

Dazraell

I've got Thaumaturge wishlisted on PS5. Game and its setting sounds really cool (especially having visited and really enjoyed Warsaw). The videogame industry in Poland has really started to kick ass with all kinds of cool indie-to-medium sized devs with cool and creative projects (recently played and loved both Inkulinati and Evil West).

Hope you enjoy it! (and that it comes to consoles soon)
Oh yeah, AA RPGs like this are often my kind of jam so I'm certain I may like it. I'm also intrigued with the setting as well. The other thing that got me curious is that the dev who developed this game is working on The Witcher 1 Remake so I'm somewhat curious of their other works

Interesting you mentioned Evil West as I have it lined up to play as well. Already downloaded it on PS5 and planning to play it after finishing games I'm currently playing

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finally beat Little Kitty, Big City. Have been putting in a little time on it every now and the between other games.

What a charming little game. I can imagine parents with younger kids having a great time showing this to them.

pAPUmKl.jpeg

gONJSO2.jpeg

Ryūtō

Disco Elysium. Was sitting in my game catalog for upwards a couple of years until about a month ago. Now I've sunken 25+ hours into it. My first time playing any game like it really.

It's kinda like a completely controllable visual novel(?) mixed with an RPG (more of the later than the former) with no combat. It's been a unique ride so far. It's something you'd have to experience for yourself to appreciate as second-hand accounts just can't do it justice.

Gandih42

Oh yeah, AA RPGs like this are often my kind of jam so I'm certain I may like it. I'm also intrigued with the setting as well. The other thing that got me curious is that the dev who developed this game is working on The Witcher 1 Remake so I'm somewhat curious of their other works

Interesting you mentioned Evil West as I have it lined up to play as well. Already downloaded it on PS5 and planning to play it after finishing games I'm currently playing
Had completely forgotten about their involvement the Witcher 1 remake - makes a lot of sense though, as their CEO used to work for CDPR.

I really liked Evil West, a simple game for sure, but very well designed enemies and encounters, with a nice variety of locations.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
My preschool daughter gets an occasional fix for Horizon Chase Turbo, an indie arcade racer in the style of Outrun and the Lotus series on Amiga. It’s quite enjoyable, a very nice retro racer that is packed with content.

After that, I have OpenEmu on my desktop Mac, and my go-to games for a quick arcade fix are Pac-Man and Defender for Atari 5200. Gyruss and Montezuma’s Revenge are also endlessly fun and within easy reach.

Update: Oh, completely forgot about Sega Rally, which is back on our regular rotation thanks to the excellent Pandamonium documentary. I've got that wonderful music running through my head. Is this the greatest arcade racing videogame of all time? Quite possibly, although Hydro Thunder, Daytona USA and the first two Wipeouts are also strong contenders.

I've also been playing 5200 Mario Bros "Encore," which is a graphics hack created by a member of the Atari Age forums. It's a terrific makeover that brings the visuals more in line with the arcade original, including the character sprites and stage designs. I love this version because the gameplay flows so nicely, action becomes quite hectic after a few stages, and I have this ability to jump backwards that reminds me of Super Mario 64's razzle-dazzle. This might be my favorite version of the arcade classic.

Last edited:

Roberts

Went through more levels of Lamplighters League last night. Game is seriously hitting every stealth itch I have. There are multiple missions I've cleared totally ghosting it which is great, since there's 2 dozen enemies on the screen and it seems nearly impossible, and they clearly set it up for most people to get in some fights. I've ghosted levels where I wish I just took my thief alone instead of the 3 man crew because I'll accomplish the objective and then the hardest part is getting my bruiser and gunner out safely lol. Even escaping after being discovered is damn fun. Had to do staggered retreats with 2 characters taking overwatch positions at various distances to lay down cover fire while the others bolted for the escape vehicle.

Finally encountered the Doomsday Clock. So far, it's really not an issue. I just select the mission that lowers it the most every time and it's been fine.

Sounds good. I have played it for an hour or two and liked the basics of it but moved on to something else as I wasn't really in the mood for a turn based game. I remember thinking that it has awesome music and wondered if it is written for the game or licensed (never checked).

Finally beat Little Kitty, Big City. Have been putting in a little time on it every now and the between other games.

What a charming little game. I can imagine parents with younger kids having a great time showing this to them.

Yes! Played it with my daughter and she absolutely loved it so much we got 1000/1000. I know it is not entirely fair to compare them, but as far as cat games go I think this is more fun and interesting than Stray.

Anyway, played two games after finishing Jedi Survivor: F.I.S.T. and Still Wakes the Deep. The former is a solid but ultimately unexceptional metroidvania. I'm having fun and might even consider buying it when it leaves GP in a few days. SWtD is pretty damn good and a visual feast - when was the last time we got to play a game full of blue collar guys speaking in thick Scottish accents? As far as walking sims go, this is my second favourite after Hellblade 2 this year and I have played quite a few.

14 hours in FF9, trying my best to like it. Maybe because i’m playing it after 7&8. I feel like the game interrupts me every 5 minutes.

It does do that a lot, how are you liking it otherwise? Assuming it to disk 2, that is. Put in spoilers where you're at.

Disco Elysium. Was sitting in my game catalog for upwards a couple of years until about a month ago. Now I've sunken 25+ hours into it. My first time playing any game like it really.

It's kinda like a completely controllable visual novel(?) mixed with an RPG (more of the later than the former) with no combat. It's been a unique ride so far. It's something you'd have to experience for yourself to appreciate as second-hand accounts just can't do it justice.

I really didn't understand the hype and glowing reviews, even after playing for a few hours. But somewhere after the 5 hour mark something just clicked and I was in the zone. Really great game and a very unique experience.

AndrewRyan

Finally playing the DLC Ancient Gods Part 1 that I've been saving/savoring since it's so precious but now that Dark Ages is coming it's time. Feel's like I'm getting away with something it's so much fun.

Tunned

I finished Yakuza 7, Like a Dragon not too long ago, along with Cyberpunk 2077 (got the shitty ending where
you shoot yourself
) just went "meh", and moved on, maybe I'll come back some day.
Now I'm playing through Dying Light on my Deck and really enjoying it, especially the character upgrades, parkour and zombie melee combat.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Playing some System Shock remake.

For as good as Night Dive are, how the fuck did they miss adding a toggle option for sprint? Who the fuck holds the L3 button down ...

hemo memo

Gold Member
14 hours in FF9, trying my best to like it. Maybe because i’m playing it after 7&8. I feel like the game interrupts me every 5 minutes.
LavitzSlambert LavitzSlambert

And credits…

About 30 hours. Highest level party 60 and lowest at 50.

Start off pretty slow, with discs 1 and 2 dragging a bit but it picks up after that. I thought the shift in tone from 7 and 8 was weird. Enjoyable but overall between the 3 games, I would say 8 was my favorite and 9 being my least favorite.

Next is Chrono Cross remaster.

LavitzSlambert LavitzSlambert

And credits…

About 30 hours. Highest level party 60 and lowest at 50.

Start off pretty slow, with discs 1 and 2 dragging a bit but it picks up after that. I thought the shift in tone from 7 and 8 was weird. Enjoyable but overall between the 3 games, I would say 8 was my favorite and 9 being my least favorite.

Next is Chrono Cross remaster.

The tone shift is more of a throwback to earlier FF games. What did you think of disc 4 and the whole ending? A lot of people really hate on the last act of the game, but I actually really loved it. I was lukewarm initially during the first couple discs outside of a few moments with Vivi (who is one of the best FF characters ever), but I really started digging it right around the visit to the iifa tree and beyond.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Playing some System Shock remake.

For as good as Night Dive are, how the fuck did they miss adding a toggle option for sprint? Who the fuck holds the L3 button down ...
I hate this. I love when games make L2 sprint button.

My 6 year old was complaining the other day his thumb hurts from a part where he has to run in a game kept dying. I’m like bud you’re fine. Then he asked for help and I went to do it— yep no click to run, had to hold it. Little man was at it for 25 minutes so I can’t imagine lol.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Resident Evil Zero. It was way better than I remember it. I played it first on Gamecube and I remember disliking it quite a bit. But this time around, I found it enjoyable. Billy is not that bad of a character. He is pretty likeable and him and Rebecca are a cute couple with good chemistry. The character swapping is fun and paves the way for some fun puzzle solving.

The areas you visit are interesting and atmospheric. It starts off at a speeding train, which feels like a very original location for an RE game. Almost classic by now. It then proceeds to more familiar territory with the training facility, which is the Spencer Mansion in all but name. It fleshes out the lore of RE in a pretty good way, introducing a new villain, while giving more backstory to William and Wesker.

The only thing I don't like is the same complaint that I had 20 years ago. Item management is horrendous. I just don't understand why Capcom didn't go for the item box. This solution with leaving stuff on the ground is so bad it hurts my head and just adds more backtracking in a franchise that is already pushing it with that. This is the sole thing that drags this game down the mud. It would've been a solid 8/10 if not for this shit. Now it's a 6. It doesn't matter if you plan ahead, you will come to a point where you just don't know what you should carry along and what you should drop. It just adds frustration and a lot of unnecessary deaths. I hope Capcom drops this mechanic if they remake this game.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The tone shift is more of a throwback to earlier FF games. What did you think of disc 4 and the whole ending? A lot of people really hate on the last act of the game, but I actually really loved it. I was lukewarm initially during the first couple discs outside of a few moments with Vivi (who is one of the best FF characters ever), but I really started digging it right around the visit to the iifa tree and beyond.
Vivi storyline is definitely the highlight for me. I found disc 4 and the ending to be heartfelt. There was a moment when I tried reading the text out loud like a voice actor, and it really got to me.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Im in Ng+3 of Lords of The Fallen playing a inferno build alternating between two reaper swords and two grinning axes... but the fatigue is settling in ...the other runs I did with a heavy weapon build wich always are my favorites... so I was trying a more "light" approach.... but the umbral mechanics start to feel real boring on the repetitive runs specially with the lack of umbral enemies variety. Great "classic" souls game though, had more fun with it than with Elden Ring. Time to move on I guess.

Saw my son playing Crash 4 the other day... I think is time to give another go on the Crash series... its always fun to complete... pity the 4th one is crazy to platinum.

Elden Ring. Not the DLC (yet), but I have over 100 hours in it and never finished it, because I got stuck in some area. For the first time I respecced to a different build and now I have a lot of fun again playing it. Still was blocked by that same area (Godskin Duo for the knowers) and the great thing about that game is there's always a way to fix it and progress.

The first thing I do when I get stuck is experimenting with different damage types. Trying coating my weapon with fire, magic, etc.
If that doesn't work I start reading the messages in the area, hoping for some tips. And in this case that did the trick! Someone wrote "try sleep. Fight one by one" and I crafted some sleep pots and whaddayaknow, it worked like a charm!
After that you can always resort to using spirit ashes or other summons. You can even summon another player that wtfpwns the bosses for you if you have to.

There's always a way. And I love how you can play these games completely solo or let the community help you out with the messages.

Now that blockade is over I'm fully exploring the area, finding items and new monsters. Until I get inevitably stuck again and I repeat the process :)

Reaseru

Currently I'm between Dying Light 2 and Shadow of the Erdtree DLC (which is a full game itself).

Dying Light 2 has a interesting story and landscapes but it's everything seems very the same. The loot seems to be exactly on the same spots in every local. Every interior looks the same. The same assets in the same places. There's not "randomness".

I know it's a open world, but it could at least have a more aleatory feel that other open world games have.

Last edited:
Currently playing:

Octopath Traveler 2. It's hard for me to keep playing tbh. It's pretty both visually and musically but I find it immensely boring. Sad I needed to apply an external patch for UWQHD
Elden Ring: I played it on PS5 but I sold it so I re-bought it for PC so I can play the expansion. I always play ungabunga STR but I'm trying a twinblade DEX build. I'm getting assfucked by everyone in the Lands Between and I'm stuck in the first boss. Will continue reporting. Sad I needed to use Flawless Widescreen for UQWHD
SMTV Vengeance: It's pretty, and I love how fast the combat system is, but it feels... weird. I only played SMTIII before and it felt better. This feels like Nier Automata with a turn based combat system? Also, sad I needed to apply an external patch for UWQHD
World Soccer Champs: In my phone. Bite me.
Paper Mario TTYD remake: In the crapper and when putting the kids to sleep. I was liking it (not loving it) but I've gotten to the tournament and it's boring me to tears.

Last edited:
Finished Resident Evil Zero. It was way better than I remember it. I played it first on Gamecube and I remember disliking it quite a bit. But this time around, I found it enjoyable. Billy is not that bad of a character. He is pretty likeable and him and Rebecca are a cute couple with good chemistry. The character swapping is fun and paves the way for some fun puzzle solving.

The areas you visit are interesting and atmospheric. It starts off at a speeding train, which feels like a very original location for an RE game. Almost classic by now. It then proceeds to more familiar territory with the training facility, which is the Spencer Mansion in all but name. It fleshes out the lore of RE in a pretty good way, introducing a new villain, while giving more backstory to William and Wesker.

The only thing I don't like is the same complaint that I had 20 years ago. Item management is horrendous. I just don't understand why Capcom didn't go for the item box. This solution with leaving stuff on the ground is so bad it hurts my head and just adds more backtracking in a franchise that is already pushing it with that. This is the sole thing that drags this game down the mud. It would've been a solid 8/10 if not for this shit. Now it's a 6. It doesn't matter if you plan ahead, you will come to a point where you just don't know what you should carry along and what you should drop. It just adds frustration and a lot of unnecessary deaths. I hope Capcom drops this mechanic if they remake this game.

I played this for the first time two years ago. While I enjoyed it I hated the drop the item on ground mechanic due to me dropping the grenade launcher and forgetting to pick it up again. Leaving me to go through the game without that OP weapon

I also played Resident Evil Remake HD Remaster a few years back too and it's still my favorite Resident Evil

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I played this for the first time two years ago. While I enjoyed it I hated the drop thr item on ground due to me dropping the grenade launcher and forgetting to pick it up again. Leaving me to go through the game without that OP weapon

I also played Resident Evil Remake HD Remaster a few years back too and it's still my favorite Resident Evil

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. I had to backtrack several times just so that I could get the grenade launcher and shotgun with me. The hookshot was another annoying item, because I thought that after the train, you were done with it so I left it at the training facility, but you need it a couple of areas further ahead, so I had to go all the way back to pick it up. Smfh

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
40 hours in FF 7 Rebirth. Just about to wrap up North Corel and Gold Saucer. Very faithful remake so far, more so than the first game in Midgar, and I keep getting surprised by just how ambitious this game really is. I really enjoy Squares approach to the open world formula, by having a semi open world structure where you're exploring, activating towers and doing side quests and then switching to linear story telling. It feels true to the original game in every sense. Square has not only recreated every little thing you can remember, they've done so without losing the charm of FF7s world building and story. I'm constantly smiling when I notice these little attention to details, that might seem minor, but adds so much to the overall feel of FF7.

One example is in Costa Del Sol. In the original game, some kids were playing around with Red XIII and tried to grab his tail or whatever, and Red didn't like that. I always thought that scene was funny and added to Reds character. It was small things like these that made the game feel alive. And the same scenario is recreated in Rebirth. The fact that Square haven't forgotten about all of these minor details is so great, because they've could've just omitted it and nobody would care, and stuff like that makes me love this remake even more. They've expanded greatly on the original game, but they've kept everything that made the original game so good.

40 hours in FF 7 Rebirth. Just about to wrap up North Corel and Gold Saucer. Very faithful remake so far, more so than the first game in Midgar, and I keep getting surprised by just how ambitious this game really is. I really enjoy Squares approach to the open world formula, by having a semi open world structure where you're exploring, activating towers and doing side quests and then switching to linear story telling. It feels true to the original game in every sense. Square has not only recreated every little thing you can remember, they've done so without losing the charm of FF7s world building and story. I'm constantly smiling when I notice these little attention to details, that might seem minor, but adds so much to the overall feel of FF7.

One example is in Costa Del Sol. In the original game, some kids were playing around with Red XIII and tried to grab his tail or whatever, and Red didn't like that. I always thought that scene was funny and added to Reds character. It was small things like these that made the game feel alive. And the same scenario is recreated in Rebirth. The fact that Square haven't forgotten about all of these minor details is so great, because they've could've just omitted it and nobody would care, and stuff like that makes me love this remake even more. They've expanded greatly on the original game, but they've kept everything that made the original game so good.

Well said, I didn't know I could be wowed this way. Both Rebirth and Shadow of the Erdtree are doing it so far in a year I didn't expect much from.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Dropped Immortals of Aveum, the new patch isnt all that and once I met that big brolic 'Sir' I was out. Ive never seen an more ugly character, gotdamn.

Picked up AC Mirage on sale, liking it. I skipped Valhalla because I had enough of the bloat and crappy rpg combat.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I decided to jump back into Battlefield 2042. It's kind of depressing how few servers / modes / whatevers have vehicles. I p.lay BF to drive tanks and planes and destroy stuff. What is even the point if every server is basically CoD?

Eh. Still better than CoD.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Midnight Suns

I dropped it a while back and I'm not sure why lol

Apparently I own the Season pass and it has been excellent so far. Could've done with less yapping though, especially in and around the Abbey.

They put a lot of work in the DLC. The new characters react to the main story and I'm still in the beginning. Pretty cool so far!

Storm is a menace. Extremely overpowered imo

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Helldivers 2 like every other day. I'm in a sad state gaming wise as i've since basically February have been playing the same game(Helldivers 2) outside the occasional Street Fighter 6 after the season 2 update. I need to get around to all the games I have bought over the past 4 months or at least some before College Football 25 releases next month.

darth.shrimp

Gold Member
Took a break from Secret of Mana (I mostly just have to farm weapons and magic levels before heading to the final boss, and it's getting boring) and am playing Darktide again. The new weapons are pretty fun, although my ogryn gave up on the new picks, and I'm still using his trusty "Smashy McSmahFace" Mk3 club.

Top Bottom