• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gungrave: G.O.R.E.

Moving on from Anarchy reigns... now switching to something I have been eagerly waiting to start for a while. Been a fan of the original since its release on the PS2. Already played past 15 stages. As a fan of stylish action shooters, its pure mad joy. Personal chef's kiss out of 10.

Game Beauty GIF by Xbox
Spin Explosion GIF by Xbox
Rapid Fire Loop GIF by Xbox
You just sold me on this game mate, got the PC version for less than five bucks.

All in for PS2-like games, hope this one offers some jank-kino.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Wrapped up Beyond Good & Evil last night. The final boss is up there with Remedy bosses as one of the absolute worst of all time.

Next up is FFXVI. Restarting from the beginning since I remember jack from playing through half of it last year (aside from really enjoying it).

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Took a small break from FF7 Rebirth and went back to AC Valhalla. This game has some of the funniest side quests ever. They've referenced Winnie the Pooh, The Prodigy, Alice in Wonderland and now I stumbled across a reference to the classic viral video of "Jesus Christ in Richmond Park" where a couple of farmers scream for Fenton. "Fenton! Fenton! Jesus Christ!". Totally had me in stitches 🤣

hemo memo

Gold Member
Chrono Cross is done. What a ride. The story is a bit convoluted but incredibly deep if you stick with it. The combat system is unique with its stamina and elemental grid offering a nice change from traditional turn-based, especially after playing FF7, 8, and 9 back-to-back. The music is absolutely phenomenal. Some characters feel a bit underdeveloped, but given the sheer number of them, it’s understandable. However, the ones that stand out really shine.

Now I don’t know how I would play a classic RPG without a speed feature.

Luigi Mansion Dark Moon HD Remaster

I got to the Fifth and Final Mansion. Should be able to finish this game today

Having a lot of fun with this game

I have a couple of issues with the game in regards to pacing and the fact that it's more mission based.

It's also has some pretty tough sub bosses and bosses in the franchise. But figuring out the weakness to each boss is satisfying and they are always fun to battle.

The puzzles in each mansion are fun to figure out too

I only played through Luigi Mansion 3 before and that game is still my favorite in the franchise

After I finish LM2, I might just emulate LM1 or wait for Switch 2 Remaster of LM1

Play LM1, don't wait for a remaster. It's still very good, and has a unique feel of being in a single mansion as opposed to feeling level based with the next 2. Some people like it the best just for that, but for me who has played 1 and 3, I think 3 is far and away the better game even if the tone isn't quite the same.

Chrono Cross is done. What a ride. The story is a bit convoluted but incredibly deep if you stick with it. The combat system is unique with its stamina and elemental grid offering a nice change from traditional turn-based, especially after playing FF7, 8, and 9 back-to-back. The music is absolutely phenomenal. Some characters feel a bit underdeveloped, but given the sheer number of them, it’s understandable. However, the ones that stand out really shine.

Now I don’t know how I would play a classic RPG without a speed feature.

If you are continuing this PS1 RPG trend, you should play Jade Cocoon next.

Play LM1, don't wait for a remaster. It's still very good, and has a unique feel of being in a single mansion as opposed to feeling level based with the next 2. Some people like it the best just for that, but for me who has played 1 and 3, I think 3 is far and away the better game even if the tone isn't quite the same.

I'll just find a GameCube/3DS Rom and play it on a Emulator than

Luigi Mansion Dark Moon HD Remaster

I'm currently at Mission E-5. It's annoying as all hell. There was secretly a countdown I didn't know about. It shows up when you have around 3 to 4 minutes left. My Thumbs are hurting lol

Mission E-4 was annoying with the Boo and having to stun than throw it at the train but at the tip with the drill. And than it turns into a bunch of other smaller boos. The smaller boos you have to toss in the middle of the moving train since the middle has these containers that hold them. That was a pain too. I enjoyed it but man was it annoying

I'm guessing I'll be finished in one to three days or maybe a week depending on how fast I get through the last 4 Missions

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Replaying the original Dark Forces the past week. Not an upscale, but the original (dosbox) on a CRT screen.

Also still playing some VR conversions, but mostly Minecraft (Quest port) 2-player with my son, each of us on a different headset with our own online world. It's fun to play it together at full scale.

After all these years, I finally completely finished Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

NbsYE10.jpeg

ftSJzcH.png

One of the most incredible, kick-ass, and sometimes frustrating games ever made. I kept it installed for many years, occasionally jumping in for a level or two, but last week I decided I really wanted to get all the achievements, just to force myself to play it at a higher level. And so I did!

I loved going through the campaign for the S ranks, only Monsoon was a bit hard to learn, the second fight of Chapter 4 sucks, and the final Armstrong phase was a bitch to pull off without taking damage. But chapter by chapter I bettered myself and for the most part, Revengeance difficulty was not all that hard, especially with the Wigs at my disposal.

The Jetstream Sam DLC on the other hand, which I had to finish on Revengeance within an hour, was all around just hard and frustrating as fuck. Not gonna lie, I did not have much fun, but I wanted to get through it. I really had to grind my way from checkpoint to checkpoint, and get a firmer grip on a wildly different character. I did not realize how useful the taunt really is, until the Armstrong fight, which is insanely hard I might add.

The DL-VR missions were mostly fine, except for two or three that really messed me up for a few hours. Number 27 stands out, where you have to flawlessly Zandatsu about 10 regular troopers, then a Gekko along with 3 Mastiffs (pure chaos), then a bunch of rocket launchers, and finally 4 Fenrirs.

Now I can finally uninstall it, and continue to pray for a sequel.

After all these years, I finally completely finished Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

NbsYE10.jpeg

ftSJzcH.png

One of the most incredible, kick-ass, and sometimes frustrating games ever made. I kept it installed for many years, occasionally jumping in for a level or two, but last week I decided I really wanted to get all the achievements, just to force myself to play it at a higher level. And so I did!

I loved going through the campaign for the S ranks, only Monsoon was a bit hard to learn, the second fight of Chapter 4 sucks, and the final Armstrong phase was a bitch to pull off without taking damage. But chapter by chapter I bettered myself and for the most part, Revengeance difficulty was not all that hard, especially with the Wigs at my disposal.

The Jetstream Sam DLC on the other hand, which I had to finish on Revengeance within an hour, was all around just hard and frustrating as fuck. Not gonna lie, I did not have much fun, but I wanted to get through it. I really had to grind my way from checkpoint to checkpoint, and get a firmer grip on a wildly different character. I did not realize how useful the taunt really is, until the Armstrong fight, which is insanely hard I might add.

The DL-VR missions were mostly fine, except for two or three that really messed me up for a few hours. Number 27 stands out, where you have to flawlessly Zandatsu about 10 poll troopers, then a Gekko along with 3 Mastiffs (pure chaos), then a bunch of rocket launchers, and finally 4 Fenrirs.

Now I can finally uninstall it, and continue to pray for a sequel.

I played and finished that recently this year too

Zvh74u9.gif
rRpR3Qi.gif

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm going to have to make a whole thread on it when I'm at the finish line. Lamplighters League is one of the most underrated games of the last decade. Just a phenomenal strategy stealth game. So many things that people take for granted they are just nailing here. Currently in a cool Egyptian pyramid stage. Every battle is memorable. I just dont understand how my taste in games is so different from other people. Every character is cool and interesting. They perfectly capture the Orientalist vibe of the 1920s era western explorers while not falling into Orientalist racist tropes. I love this game.

P.S. 2 characters are paid DLC. I clicked on one of them a few times and it changed from $11 to free out of nowhere and he's actually a total badass. Makes me want to pick up the other character.

bender

What time is it?
I have a bunch of credit at my local mom & pop game store and they had a copy of Sandland. I saw some positive impression of the game her so I figured, what the heck. The game starts off so slow and doesn't give the best impression. I'm going to try to soldier on .

Fredrik

Elden Ring, as usual, 550+ hours total on it now, it’s so good 👌
Downed Fire Giant last night with a mage build. I almost said it was fairly easily but it actually took awhile to get a working strategy, I’m so use to having a sword, and some armour. And I’ve been using Rock Sling so much but that was crap on the foot. Eventually swapped to Glintstone Comet to quickly get to part 2. After that I could keep a distance and use my trusty Rock Sling as usual.
Ne3YK4e.jpeg

Morning session. Commander Niall, down, easy peasy.

Getting closer to Mohgwyn Palace. Soon I’ll be stomped over and over in Shadow of the Erdtree, can’t wait! 😉

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Finished Dredge again. It's such a cool game.

Started Nine Sols a couple of days ago. Still very early. About to the 1st Sol fight. But I'm not enjoying it very much. The game is undoubtedly good, but ... I might give it an hour or two more before dropping it.

Might just start Valfaris (for the 1st time) or Rogue Legacy 2 (again!)

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
I have a bunch of credit at my local mom & pop game store and they had a copy of Sandland. I saw some positive impression of the game her so I figured, what the heck. The game starts off so slow and doesn't give the best impression. I'm going to try to soldier on .
I don't actually remember my first impressions of the game, but I really enjoyed it. Much more than other games I had laying around like Dragons Dogma or Tekken 8. I put 62 hours into Sandland in the end and still had stuff to do. it's a great game.

I also nabbed a physical copy of the manga. The game follows the manga and anime almost exactly. I think this is part of what made it fun for me. Note: I didn't read or watch anything until after about halfway through the game. A major event happens that splits the game into two parts, and I figured that was a good point to see how the different media matched up.

Last edited:
I cheaped out. I had thought I might purchase Hauntii to help me switch my schedule over to nights, but didn't want to pay $20 lol. Instead, I got Bastion for $3... Finished it in 2 nights. Fun indie game, but nothing amazing. It's probably a solid 7/10 for me. Games on my radar that i'd like to try out sometime in the future are Hollow Knight and Death's Door.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I cheaped out. I had thought I might purchase Hauntii to help me switch my schedule over to nights, but didn't want to pay $20 lol. Instead, I got Bastion for $3... Finished it in 2 nights. Fun indie game, but nothing amazing. It's probably a solid 7/10 for me. Games on my radar that i'd like to try out sometime in the future are Hollow Knight and Death's Door.
Both are on sale right now on Steam, by the way.

While both are excellent, Hollow Knight is a legit banger.

Denton

I am playing the generic looking, generic sounding, generically named Immortals of Aveum, because it is on gamepass and I wanted to see for myself what it's like.

It is a pretty nice looking generic shooter, but fairly competently made. It is fun enough that I will likely finish it, but I am not surprised it bombed.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I am playing the generic looking, generic sounding, generically named Immortals of Aveum, because it is on gamepass and I wanted to see for myself what it's like.

It is a pretty nice looking generic shooter, but fairly competently made. It is fun enough that I will likely finish it, but I am not surprised it bombed.

You will pleasure me

maxresdefault.jpg

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Kena: Bridge of Spirits. After playing so much of FF7 Rebirth and AC Valhalla I wanted to mix it up with a fairly short adventure, and I figured Kena would fit the bill. Been playing for about two hours and I already love it. It's like a mix of Star Fox Adventures and Pikmin, with beautiful lush graphics and somewhat decent combat and platforming. These cute little furry fellas that you rescue can aid you in your quest by moving objects, help you fight monsters and do other neat tricks. They're adorable. I'm kinda offended that they are named Rot. They should be named something nice. It's like the Battletoads who were named Rash, Pimple and Zits. Like wtf?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thinking about playing some Bully Scholarship Edition.

You really wouldn't be able to get away with a game like that in 2024, no developer would, not even R*.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Finished the original and I have the remake but didn’t play it yet.
I almost always prefer original versus remake, but this was very well done. It actually has me very interested in the upcoming Zelda game.

I’ve been craving playing through again, but I sold my copy after beating it. Maybe it’s on sale somewhere…

Last edited:

dave_d

You're in for something alright 👀
Is the game just this damn buggy or is it because I'm playing in on my PS3 fat? Yeah it happened it again
I got stuck in the desert. I figured the area where the tornados suck you up was important but I couldn't go in the direction of the wind which was north because it was blocked. I looked up in a guide and it told me the reason I got stuck was I didn't have the sand cape. The problem was that I managed to make it to the cave where the sand cape should be. However when I went in the game didn't spawn the cave interior. It actually put me back in the desert with no enemies so I was confused what I was supposed to do.(If the game had worked correctly I would have gotten the cape and I would have been able to do the rest.) I explored the desert for awhile decide to leave and buy an extra life contained from the merchant south of the desert and then the game hung. Yeah, it's really buggy at least when I play it on the PS3.

Is the game just this damn buggy or is it because I'm playing in on my PS3 fat? Yeah it happened it again
I got stuck in the desert. I figured the area where the tornados suck you up was important but I couldn't go in the direction of the wind which was north because it was blocked. I looked up in a guide and it told me the reason I got stuck was I didn't have the sand cape. The problem was that I managed to make it to the cave where the sand cape should be. However when I went in the game didn't spawn the cave interior. It actually put me back in the desert with no enemies so I was confused what I was supposed to do.(If the game had worked correctly I would have gotten the cape and I would have been able to do the rest.) I explored the desert for awhile decide to leave and buy an extra life contained from the merchant south of the desert and then the game hung. Yeah, it's really buggy at least when I play it on the PS3.

I'm only saying that because it has some of the toughest platforming and puzzle segments I have ever played in a game

Just a warning

And I played it on Vita which has sucky controls when it comes to PS1 Classics and not to mention the small screen

I was able to finish it but man is that game infuriating 👀

dave_d

I'm only saying that because it has some of the toughest platforming and puzzle segments I have ever played in a game

Just a warning

And I played it on Vita which has sucky controls when it comes to PS1 Classics and not to mention the small screen

I was able to finish it but man is that game infuriating 👀
Thanks for the heads up. I hoping that's the last of getting stuck due to bugs but I guess I'll see.

Thanks for the heads up. I hoping that's the last of getting stuck due to bugs but I guess I'll see.

It's in my favorite PS1 Games I ever played. So it's worth it despite the difficulty. I used a guide to get everything which made the game easier by the end. And you need everything to be able to beat the final boss easily

amigastar

Not sure what to think about DUSK, the graphics are so simple and old that i loose faith in the competence of the game... somehow. Maybe i have to play it a little bit further.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not sure what to think about DUSK, the graphics are so simple and old that i loose faith in the competence of the game... somehow. Maybe i have to play it a little bit further.
Are you on PC?

Also, the graphics are like that on purpose I think. In any case, keep playing, DUSK gets better as you progress thorugh it.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Decided to hop into some SimCity since the wife and daughter have taken over the living room for Switch action.

I've spent the last ten or so minutes just clicking on context messages. I guess I missed out on a lot.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits. After playing so much of FF7 Rebirth and AC Valhalla I wanted to mix it up with a fairly short adventure, and I figured Kena would fit the bill. Been playing for about two hours and I already love it. It's like a mix of Star Fox Adventures and Pikmin, with beautiful lush graphics and somewhat decent combat and platforming. These cute little furry fellas that you rescue can aid you in your quest by moving objects, help you fight monsters and do other neat tricks. They're adorable. I'm kinda offended that they are named Rot. They should be named something nice. It's like the Battletoads who were named Rash, Pimple and Zits. Like wtf?

Kena got a lot of recognition, but it was way better than I was expecting. The gameplay is smooth and the combat is great, surprisingly tough too. It looked like it was going to be all style over substance, but that wasn't the case. Nice bite sized adventure to slot in between other things.

Punished Miku

Lamplighters League, on the last stage. Got massacred, had to call it a night. Just waves of enemies. They clearly dont expect your whole group to survive. Going to have to try it tomorrow.

Punished Miku

dKQAXwb.jpg

Lamplighters League completed, 65 hours. Damn that last stage was devastating. Ended up winning by putting DoT bleed and shock on the boss and just running to choke points to hold off dozens of strong enemies. Had to pre-plan and leave additional healing items on the ground on the routes I was running to. Had 2 lucky breaks with a 3rd party jumping in the fight to distract for several turns. And had to specifically try and set up stress breaks on enemies to open up kill combos, and played it nearly perfectly. Just barely made it out.

Real damn shame this game bombed. Its a true stealth masterpiece. I give it a 9/10, could use a couple small tweaks and that's it. More ability to affect the Doomsday Clock, a quick save, and slightly tweak the difficulty on that last fight. That's it. All the characters are great. The story is awesome and takes you to multiple cool locations. Would love a sequel, but that will never happen. The game is right up at the very top of the action / stealth / SRPG list along with Triangle Strategy. While it isn't quite as complex as Desperados 3, Shadow Tactics, its extremely close while also doing other things much better (characters, story, real time actions mixed with turn based). And for the record I had no glitches or lost saves. So either I got lucky or they fixed it. I dont know. I'll definitely have to play it a 2nd time eventually. I missed at least 3 characters and they're all interesting in terms of visual design, gameplay, and story.

P.S. the OST is great. Has that classic film vibe mixed with jazz the whole time and really sets the mood. Reminds me of Gravity Rush mixed with Starfield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom